Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,990 members, 7,863,541 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 07:43 PM

Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? - Family (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (45786 Views)

Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? / Is Marriage An Achievement? / Is Marriage A Bed Of Roses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by moremi2008(m): 4:32am On Feb 07, 2012
c.fours:

stalker because I exposed you? grin
I don't read society pages but good for you.

my advice to you is to just marry the girl since this is probably what you will eventually do anyway. you are not a virgin yourself so kini big deal?

Hahahaha! I laugh in mandarin! I wish you knew this girl, you wouldn't curse me like so! Nope, never going to marry her! Who wants to marry a ho with an expensive taste for diamonds and Hermes! She'll find some useless Ikoyi boy to marry soon, not me!
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by cfours: 4:52am On Feb 07, 2012
moremi2008:

Hahahaha! I laugh in mandarin! I wish you knew this girl, you wouldn't curse me like so! Nope, never going to marry her! Who wants to marry a ho with an expensive taste for diamonds and Hermes! She'll find some useless Ikoyi boy to marry soon, not me!

this is coming from a guy who is talking about having an extravagant wedding that will be the talk of the town and featured in society pages. una get similar tastes. why are you in denial? better propose fast before the "ikoyi boy" snatches her away from you.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by moremi2008(m): 5:26am On Feb 07, 2012
c.fours:

this is coming from a guy who is talking about having an extravagant wedding that will be the talk of the town and featured in society pages. una get similar tastes. why are you in denial? better propose fast before the "ikoyi boy" snatches her away from you.

Whatever wedding ceremony I end up having will be for my family (I have very few friends and they will all be part of the bridal party). All the extra-stuff is gonna be my mum's doing (dat woman too like parry and tying-gele grin). I have pretty expensive tastes but I am a self-controlled spender. Thankfully, I hate cars in general because I hate driving so I don't have to worry about buying a $100k car that'll be worthless in a few years. My biggest ticket items (and biggest weakness) is real estate but those have lasting value. I am not going to marry a woman that'll destroy what my family has worked super-hard to build because she likes to carry $20k handbags and fancies herself a successor to Daisy Danjuma when her father can barely hold on to the family house in Ikoyi and her mother owes my mum huge sums of money she has been promising to pay back since 2007! That bloody onigbese, owambe family! Aarrghhh! My blood is already boiling as I type this!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Sagamite(m): 7:30am On Feb 07, 2012
moremi2008:

Whatever wedding ceremony I end up having will be for my family (I have very few friends and they will all be part of the bridal party). All the extra-stuff is gonna be my mum's doing (dat woman too like parry and tying-gele grin). I have pretty expensive tastes but I am a self-controlled spender. Thankfully, I hate cars in general because I hate driving so I don't have to worry about buying a $100k car that'll be worthless in a few years. My biggest ticket items (and biggest weakness) is real estate but those have lasting value. I am not going to marry a woman that'll destroy what my family has worked super-hard to build because she likes to carry $20k handbags and fancies herself a successor to Daisy Danjuma when her father can barely hold on to the family house in Ikoyi and her mother owes my mum huge sums of money she has been promising to pay back since 2007! That bloody onigbese, owambe family! Aarrghhh! My blood is already boiling as I type this!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are a mugu.

Opening your mouth and throwing figures you can never dream of affording. You plan to steal it from somewhere?
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by moremi2008(m): 8:31am On Feb 07, 2012
Sagamite:

You are a mugu.

Opening your mouth and throwing figures you can never dream of affording. You plan to steal it from somewhere?

Keep wagging your little tail after me; I'll pay you some real attention again someday. grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 8:39am On Feb 07, 2012
i'll help u with ur fantasy, see the ones that are actually rich dont have time to fantasize about money when they are busy spending it!

so where will this imaginary wedding with the imaginary woman you imaginarily refuse to marry hold? Imaginary village where you hold all the imaginary assets? is that where the imaginary 20k handbag was produced?
im just curious. . . . , . .
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 10:40am On Feb 07, 2012
Lmao ,See Person making mouth on the Internet. People that come from very rich family do not go about bragging. Stop living a lie
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by moremi2008(m): 11:17am On Feb 07, 2012
queensmith:

i'll help u with ur fantasy, see the ones that are actually rich dont have time to fantasize about money when they are busy spending it!

so where will this imaginary wedding with the imaginary woman you imaginarily refuse to marry hold? Imaginary village where you hold all the imaginary assets? is that where the imaginary 20k handbag was produced?
im just curious. . . . ,  . .

Blah, blah, blah. I don't owe you an explanation and I don't care what you think. The likes of you can't approach me in real life. I know your type: sitting jam-packed in coach, feeling glamorous in tacky phat-farm sweats and a monogrammed Coach bag. Mgbeke goes to London! Abeg comot!

So stop reaching on the internet and go play with your imagination!

jennykadry:

Lmao ,See Person making mouth on the Internet. People that come from very rich family do not go about bragging. Stop living a lie

I am not even rich; at least not compared to some of my friends. Just an above average Nigerian American. You don't even know what rich means if you think anything I have said here is bragging! Rich is never flying commercial and having villas in Toulon or Antibes. I never reach dat level, yet! grin I will get there though, inshallah! Working hard on it and it's going to happen, Amen!

ps - I shall brag as much as I want! It's the internet! If this upsets you, then go throw yourself off the alps! You weren't there when I was poor and the laughing stock of VI! But see what baba God has done for me now! You jealous?!!! Somersault and break your spine! grin

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 12:05pm On Feb 07, 2012
Lol. You havent passed nigeria before have you? Not an insult just an observation,
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Feb 07, 2012
moremi2008:

Blah, blah, blah. I don't owe you an explanation and I don't care what you think. The likes of you can't approach me in real life. I know your type: sitting jam-packed in coach, feeling glamorous in tacky phat-farm sweats and a monogrammed Coach bag. Mgbeke goes to London! Abeg comot!

I am not even rich; at least not compared to some of my friends. Just an above average Nigerian American. You don't even know what rich means if you think anything I have said here is bragging! Rich is never flying commercial and having villas in Toulon or Antibes. I never reach dat level, yet! grin I will get there though, inshallah! Working hard on it and it's going to happen, Amen!

ps - I shall brag as much as I want! It's the internet! If this upsets you, then go throw yourself off the alps! You weren't there when I was poor and the laughing stock of VI! But see what baba God has done for me now! You jealous?!!! Somersault and break your spine! grin

See this 'papa-dash-me' pickin! Lol  cheesy  cheesy

Obviously EVERYTHING you own are hand-me-downs from your parents. And yet you call yourself a man . . . . shame!

queensmith:

Lol. You havent passed nigeria before have you? Not an insult just an observation,

I swear, im type never even enter plane before!  cheesy  cheesy
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by opeshe2(m): 2:45pm On Feb 07, 2012
grin grin cheesy shocked
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Feb 07, 2012
LMAO, people from rich family do not go about bragging on the net. That's cowardice grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by maclatunji: 3:19pm On Feb 07, 2012
Moremi2008, bragging is a No-No. Now, you see how the ladies are having fun at your expense.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Feb 07, 2012
jennykadry:

LMAO, people from rich family do not go about bragging on the net. That's cowardice grin

Na true you talk jare my sister . . . grin grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ronkebp(f): 3:59pm On Feb 07, 2012
moremi2008:

Moremi you should have told me this is how much you really worth and many more, and i would have waited for you!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Feb 07, 2012
ronkebp:

Moremi you should have told me this is how much you really worth and many more, and i would have waited for you!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
lol grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by SisiKill1: 4:22pm On Feb 07, 2012
moremi2008:

Whatever wedding ceremony I end up having will be for my family (I have very few friends and they will all be part of the bridal party). All the extra-stuff is gonna be my mum's doing (dat woman too like parry and tying-gele  grin). I have pretty expensive tastes but I am a self-controlled spender. Thankfully, I hate cars in general because I hate driving so I don't have to worry about buying a $100k car that'll be worthless in a few years. My biggest ticket items (and biggest weakness) is real estate but those have lasting value. I am not going to marry a woman that'll destroy what my family has worked super-hard to build because she likes to carry $20k handbags and fancies herself a successor to Daisy Danjuma when her father can barely hold on to the family house in Ikoyi and her mother owes my mum huge sums of money she has been promising to pay back since 2007! That bloody onigbese, owambe family! Aarrghhh! My blood is already boiling as I type this!!!!!!!!!!!!
moremi2008:

I am not even rich; at least not compared to some of my friends. Just an above average Nigerian American. You don't even know what rich means if you think anything I have said here is bragging! Rich is never flying commercial and having villas in Toulon or Antibes. I never reach dat level, yet!  grin I will get there though, inshallah! Working hard on it and it's going to happen, Amen!

ps - I shall brag as much as I want! It's the internet! If this upsets you, then go throw yourself off the alps! You weren't there when I was poor and the laughing stock of VI! But see what baba God has done for me now! You jealous?!!! Somersault and break your spine!  grin

Hey I've seen this movie. . .twas with RMD and Ego Boyo. RMD was from a very Rich Family. . .not the commercial flying type rich oh, I mean the private Jet flying, Villas in Toulon or Antibes having, Real Estate player type rich. Joke Silva played his mom. . .God she was fantastic in that role.  kiss

They forced him to marry the daughter of a close family friend girl. . .what's her name again, can't think of it right now. Anyway, she was the Gucci wearing, $20k handbags carry, Daisy Danjuma wannabe and instead of the onigbese mom, she had the "social climbing" daddy

Months into the marriage, she abandoned him and traveled abroad. Five years later, he meets and falls in love with Ego Boyo's character Peggy (Awwwww, so romantic ) but of course she is from a poor family, was a housemaid in her former life. So this brings up the whole "She is not suitable for us society type shtick" with his mom.

When Daisy Danjuma junior hears her husband has fallen in love with another woman, she comes back and tries to break them up with the help of his mother but in the end, Love Conquered All!! Sigh! Good Movie, one of the best to come out of Nigeria. . .they sure don't make movies like that anymore.

I'm quite shocked to know you are into those kinds of movies. I pegged you for one of them action movie lovers. You've gone up a notch in my books. . .I'll tell you that right now because not many guys would admit they watch Nigerian Romantic Movies, let alone rehash the plot.  cheesy

Ah! I remember the name of the movie. . .VIOLATED!!! Good Stuff I tells ya! Really Good Stuff!!

Lemme see if I can find it on youtube sef!! See, what you've started? I'm gonna be totally useless for the rest of the day because I'll be watching Violated. grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Feb 07, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Hey I've seen this movie. . .twas with RMD and Ego Boyo. RMD was from a very Rich Family. . .not the commercial flying type rich oh, I mean the private Jet flying, Villas in Toulon or Antibes having, Real Estate player type rich. Joke Silva played his mom. . .God she was fantastic in that role.  kiss

They forced him to marry the daughter of a close family friend girl. . .what's her name again, can't think of it right now. Anyway, she was the Gucci wearing, $20k handbags carry, Daisy Danjuma wannabe and instead of the onigbese mom, she had the "social climbing" daddy

Months into the marriage, she abandoned him and traveled abroad. Five years later, he meets and falls in love with Ego Boyo's character Peggy (Awwwww, so romantic ) but of course she is from a poor family, was a housemaid in her former life. So this brings up the whole "She is not suitable for us society type shtick" with his mom.

When Daisy Danjuma junior hears her husband has fallen in love with another woman, she comes back and tries to break them up with the help of his mother but in the end, Love Conquered All!! Sigh! Good Movie, one of the best to come out of Nigeria. . .they sure don't make movies like that anymore.

I'm quite shocked to know you are into those kinds of movies. I pegged you for one of them action movie lovers. You've gone up a notch in my books. . .I'll tell you that right now because not many guys would admit they watch Nigerian Romantic Movies, let alone rehash the plot.  cheesy

Ah! I remember the name of the movie. . .VIOLATED!!! Good Stuff I tells ya! Really Good Stuff!!

Lemme see if I can find it on youtube sef!! See, what you've started? I'm gonna be totally useless for the rest of the day because I'll be watching Violated. grin
Kai, Oh Lord, why una wan kill me with laugh today na? Sisi-Kill your humour is amazing.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by armyofone(m): 4:42pm On Feb 07, 2012
Serves him right!!

I'm sure canned tuna and white brodi are his dinner.

who dash moremi money, must be tough working at KFC/Popeye. who wan to marry $4.25cent per hour worker? no even reach minimum wage and he dey talk, please Moremi, go get a corporate day job tongue
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Sagamite(m): 5:50pm On Feb 07, 2012
In my view, all decisions in life have pros and cons, and people are generally different in terms of their values, needs and desires.

Having a wife that is a housewife has its pros and cons, just as having a wife that works.

Even having a ugly wife has its pros and cons, as having a hot wife also does. grin

So marriage has its pros and cons, so does being single. So it is silly for anyone to say being single would lead to some nightmare while being married is going to be wonderful.

People need to make decisions that align their values, needs and desires to the decision that has the most favourable pros and least cons for those values, needs and desires. Some of the cons are risk that might or might not manifest.

Another thing is the shift in environmental and cultural influences. One needs to view how it currently is and how it will change in future as these will impact the pros and cons.

I for one think environmental and cultural influence changes of recent has largely devalued the marriage proposition. It has deeply affected the pros and increased the cons. Most of the women are less attractive to be with and due to the dysfunctionality of our social systems, most Nigerian women more so less attractive due to their personality. If one is going to go into marriage, then one has to make a prudent selection, manage their expectations and de-risk as much as possible.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by moremi2008(m): 5:52pm On Feb 07, 2012
Hahaha @ all these crazy girls. I don't even have the time for this. I have learnt my lesson. grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Feb 07, 2012
Ujujoan:

Na true you talk jare my sister . . .  grin  grin

Stay there,if you see them on the street and you don't know them, you will just waka pass them, but when you hear their last names? shocked no be person will tell you to behave ya self grin even at that a lot of these people are so down to earth and it makes me wonder really, why some of us that can only afford 500dolls Louis vuitton replica bag, announce it to the world that we are carrying a designer's bag but those of Them that actually carry the 30k ones do not brag about it.

I have learnt a lesson in this life God bless my parents. They will always tells us to keep the things we have to ourselves cos the next person we talk to about it might be finding it difficult to feed himself is 3 square meals and the last thing he wants to hear is our crap
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ronkebp(f): 6:46pm On Feb 07, 2012
moremi2008:

Hahaha @ all these crazy girls. I don't even have the time for this. I have learnt my lesson. grin

Moremi, why now?? how much are you really worth i can keep secrets. wink wink wink wink wink cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by armyofone(m): 6:52pm On Feb 07, 2012
the yab don make crayfish bend, abegi leave am. him boss for KFC just called him  grin

ronkebp:

Moremi, why now?? how much are you really worth i can keep secrets. wink wink wink wink wink cheesy cheesy

girl, you forget guys like moremi shop with pennies huh? go to walmart and see him there. na him dey hold the line as shoppers wait make him count him coin take pay  grin.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ronkebp(f): 7:09pm On Feb 07, 2012
armyofone:

the yab don make crayfish bend, abegi leave am. him boss for KFC just called him  grin

girl, you forget guys like moremi shop with pennies huh? go to walmart and see him there. na him dey hold the line as shoppers wait make him count him coin take pay  grin.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Armyofone, why now?? i am supporting moremi, so i can get the latest ''chanel hand bag''  (maybe, wlamart or wal-greens brand) grin grin grin

@ Moremi don't marryooooo let me be your chief accountant. cool cool cool cool
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by TV01(m): 7:58pm On Feb 07, 2012
@Men in the house,

Lots of very valid concerns about modern day marriage. The "re-engineering" , especially in the  West means it's not necessarily the simple and transparent "value proposition it once was.

Having said that, once you meet a women who closely or totally embodies what you aspire to in marriage, you'll realise that key to marriage is the people involved. Once in agreement, large portions of this new-age construct won't apply to you and you can inure your marriage against it.

Marriage is still the norm and no matter how we look at it, I don't believe there's a viable alternative that's in the long term best interests of men, their offspring and community as a whole.

I know how difficult it is to find a spouse - it took me years. The amount of baggage some people seem to be carrying. Literally crushed and rendered unmarriagable by it. But their desire and aspiration remains. Divorces waiting to happen.

The subplot of my wanting a Naija girl but typically finding them the most singularly ungracious bunch, made me wonder out loud. Na curse? But after travelling far and wide I finally found one. Ultimately you just want the one! I said typically, not all.

The travails of my search would make a 3quel blockbuster or 7 part book. But my faith and hope did not waver and today I can honestly say "uxory is me". My marriage though relatively new is not like the stereotypes I feared or plagued by those things I was warned about. Although based along traditional lines, we've constructed our own haven. You don't have to re-work a bad script.

When the "Tell us about your marriage thread" was started, I had a longing deep inside of me and was vexed as at the time it was nowhere in sight for me. Now I'm just waiting for wifeys buy-in before I spam that thread out grin .

We can rationalise all we please. Except for a few very good reasons, we simply have to marry or we have stepped outside the norm. Either the family and societal pressure will finally wear you down, or it will naturally dawn upon you. Whichever it is, do not, I repeat, do not act in haste. But neither should you leave it too late.

Get understanding, get ready, get married.

I wish everyone that's still searching heartfelt success.

Best
TV
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Feb 07, 2012
13 pages and counting on top marry marry  

Marriage is worth it for both men and women if you marry 'your ideal' partner. Yes you can have children without being married and getting laid aint that hard but marriage offers you a life support like no other.

Ask older men what life would be like if they hadn't married? I'm sure you'll get some very interesting answers
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Sagamite(m): 8:17pm On Feb 07, 2012
TV01:

Having said that, once you meet a women who closely or totally embodies what you aspire to in marriage, you'll realise that key to marriage is the people involved. Once in agreement, large portions of this new-age construct won't apply to you and you can inure your marriage against it.

Don't deceive yourself on that. Some will, no matter how hard you try.

TV01:

Marriage is still the norm and no matter how we look at it, I don't believe there's a viable alternative that's in the long term best interests of men, their offspring and community as a whole.

As a package, you are right.

TV01:

The subplot of my wanting a Naija girl and but typically finding them the most singularly ungracious bunch, made me wonder out loud. Na curse? But after travelling far and wide I finally found one. Ultimately you just want the one! I said typically, not all.

Provide info where you went to find a good one o. Maybe you can resurrect hope.

TV01:

We can rationalise all we please. Except for a few very good reasons, we simply have to marry or we have stepped outside the norm. Either the family and societal pressure will finally wear you down, or it will naturally dawn upon you. Whichever it is, do not, I repeat, do not act in haste. But neither should you leave it too late.

Get understanding, get ready, get married.

Hell No!

I am quite capable of telling family to go to hell if needs be. I do critical things like this with my head, not my heart.

People can perfectly leave happily without being married. No family can push me to marry, only a woman worth it can.

naijababe:

13 pages and counting on top marry marry  

Marriage is worth it for both men and women if you marry 'your ideal' partner. Yes you can have children without being married and getting laid aint that hard but marriage offers you a life support like no other.

Ask older men what life would be like if they hadn't married? I'm sure you'll get some very interesting answers

The possibility of you marrying your ideal partner is as remote as the possibility of your child getting into Oxbridge while being educated in Nigeria.

Slim.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Feb 07, 2012
Sagamite:

The possibility of you marrying your ideal partner is as remote as the possibility of your child getting into Oxbridge while being educated in Nigeria.

Slim.

Go back and read my post again especially the part about using both your head & heart. The problem is most men make this decision with either their third leg and/or their ambitions. Seen it many times
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by armyofone(m): 9:23pm On Feb 07, 2012
@Sagamite:

"oh thou man of little faith"

"the just shall live by faith"

resurrect that faith and see the Lord rain down HIS blessing on you. You need to go to church and stop backsliding grin grin grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Feb 07, 2012
armyofone:

@Sagamite:

resurrect that faith and see the Lord rain down HIS blessing on you. You need to go to church and stop backsliding grin grin grin

You want to turn him to a cretin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Sagamite(m): 9:32pm On Feb 07, 2012
naijababe:

Go back and read my post again especially the part about using both your head & heart. The problem is most men make this decision with either their third leg and/or their ambitions. Seen it many times

The third leg has more persuasive powers than the brain.  cheesy

armyofone:

@Sagamite:

resurrect that faith and see the Lord rain down HIS blessing on you. You need to go to church and stop backsliding  grin grin grin

Tufiakwa!

God forbid bad thing. angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (36) (Reply)

Wife Catches Her Husband Cheating, Throws Out His Belongings / Men That Their Wives Are The Breadwinners; How Do You Cope? / My Twin Brother's Pre-wedding Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.