Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || (5321 Views)

MTN Loses 5 Million Subscribers In Nigeria / Removing Android Malware / !BE WARNED! 'sophisticated' Android Malware Hits Phones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by Slyr0x: 8:27am On Jan 31, 2012
The largest-ever Android malware campaign may have duped as many as 5 million users into downloading infected apps from Google's Android Market, Symantec said today.

Dubbed "Android.Counterclank" by Symantec, the malware was packaged in 13 different apps from three different publishers, with titles ranging from[b] "Sexy Girls Puzzle" to "Counter Strike Ground Force.[/b]" Many of the infected apps were still available on the Android Market as of 3 p.m. ET Friday.

"They don't appear to be real publishers," Kevin Haley, a director with Symantec's security response team, said in an interview today. "These aren't rebundled apps, as we've seen so many times before."

Haley was referring to a common tactic by Android malware makers to repackage a legitimate app with attack code, then re-release it to the marketplace in the hope that users will confuse the fake with the real deal.

Symantec estimated the impact by combining the download totals -- which the Android Market shows as ranges -- of the 13 apps, arriving at a figure between 1 million on the low end and 5 million on the high. "Yes, this is the largest malware [outbreak] on the Android Market," said Haley.

Android.Counterclank is a Trojan horse that when installed on an Android smartphone collects a wide range of information, including copies of the bookmarks and the handset maker. It also modifies the browser's home page.

The hackers have monetized the malware by pushing unwanted advertisements to compromised Android phones.

Although the infected apps request an uncommonly large number of privileges -- something that the user must approve -- Haley argued that few people bother reading them before giving their okay.

"If you were the suspicious type, you might wonder why they're asking for permission to modify the browser or transmit GPS coordinates," said Haley. "But most people don't bother."

Android.Counterclank is a minor variation on an older Android Trojan horse called Android.Tonclank that was discovered in June 2011.

Some of the 13 apps that Symantec identified as infected have been on the Android Market for at least a month, according to the revision dates posted on the e-store. Symantec, however, discovered them only yesterday.

Users had noticed something fishy before then.

"The game is decent ,  but every time you run this game, a 'search icon gets added randomly to one of your screens," said one user on Jan. 16 after downloading "Deal & Be Millionaire," one of the 13. "I keep deleting the icon, but it always reappears. If you tap the icon you get a page that looks suspiciously like the Google search page."

The 13 Malicious Applications

Counter Elite Force
Counter Strike Ground Force
CounterStrike Hit Enemy
Heart Live Wallpaper
Hit Counter Terrorist
Stripper Touch girl
Balloon Game
Deal & Be Millionaire
Wild Man
Pretty women lingerie puzzle
Sexy Girls Photo Game
Sexy Girls Puzzle
Sexy Women Puzzle
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by Slyr0x: 8:28am On Jan 31, 2012
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by moremi2008(m): 8:50am On Jan 31, 2012
The funny thing is Apple got a LOT of flak for adopting a ridiculously strict on-boarding process for new apps! Look who is laughing now?!!! Andriod is for id.iots! Go iPhone, Go!
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by BabaEleko(m): 8:59am On Jan 31, 2012
iPhone all the way!!
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by kingsilly(m): 9:03am On Jan 31, 2012
APPLE ALL D WAY, cool cool
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by joudini(m): 9:10am On Jan 31, 2012
Cant believe people download nudity GAMES. These guys should have their heads examined. No offense.
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by KINGwax(m): 9:11am On Jan 31, 2012
Oh yeah? Aside d ipod, d apple phones are d best jokes ever! Android and malware abi? Wait till your iphone explode in your ears! Who knws whether d malwares was jst one of those unhiealthy markert strategies employed by apple to curtail d fast growing market of androids?
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by Nobody: 9:14am On Jan 31, 2012
I-wetin?
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by dastudent(m): 9:26am On Jan 31, 2012
KINGwax:

Oh yeah? Aside d ipod, d apple phones are d best jokes ever! Android and malware abi? Wait till your iphone explode in your ears! Who knws whether d malwares was jst one of those unhiealthy markert strategies employed by apple to curtail d fast growing market of androids?

People just try to make themselves believe that the Android is superior to the iphone and i laugh.I am not displacing the fact that the Android is good,but the Fandroids and their excuses is really getting old.I have been using apple products for a while now and seriously,as far as am concerned,other products are like Chinko to me.

Even though Apple products are clearly made in China.
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by moremi2008(m): 9:31am On Jan 31, 2012
da student:

People just try to make themselves believe that the Android is superior to the iphone and i laugh.I am not displacing the fact that the Android is good,but the Fandroids and their excuses is really getting old.I have been using apple products for a while now and seriously,as far as am concerned,other products are like Chinko to me.

Poor little retardeen! You must be writing this from a cybercafe in Abia state! Almost or consumer electronics are manufactured in Asia! Especially, that Android phone you're so proud off!
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by dastudent(m): 10:25am On Jan 31, 2012
moremi2008:

Poor little retardeen! You must be writing this from a cybercafe in Abia state! Almost or consumer electronics are manufactured in Asia! Especially, that Android phone you're so proud off!

Could you read my post again, carefully?Then decide who the retarden is.Wink!
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by BabaEleko(m): 10:28am On Jan 31, 2012
Most phones are produced in China. And please lets get it straight, not ever made in China is substandard. Na wetin u ask Jonh Lee to do hin go do.
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by dastudent(m): 10:28am On Jan 31, 2012
i noticed most people don't completely read a person's statement before verbally attacking them in Nairaland.
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by Lemia(m): 10:51am On Jan 31, 2012
guys d fight between android n iPhone is huge by it all boils down to personal preference.as for me,its android cos I luv being free to customize my device to d maximum.both are awesome. it ist boils down to wat u lyk in a phone
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by dastudent(m): 11:01am On Jan 31, 2012
Lemia:

guys d fight between android n iPhone is huge by it all boils down to personal preference.as for me,its android cos I luv being free to customize my device to d maximum.both are awesome. it ist boils down to wat u lyk in a phone

I still don't get how the phone manufacturers have to wait for Apple to innovate something before they follow suit trying to do something better.For example

IPHONE VS ANDROID PHONES

MAC BOOK AIR VS ULTRA-BOOKS

IPAD VS ANDROID TABLETS.

After a lot of sweating, they finally make something close to superior and expect their swam of fandroids to attack the main innovator(Apple) by saying.

"Apple is a closed system"
"i want to be free to do what i want with my phone"
"Apple sucks and i going to play with myself now"

Blah Blah blah.
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by joudini(m): 11:09am On Jan 31, 2012
moremi2008:

Oh dear!
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jan 31, 2012
da student:

moremi2008:

Lol!. U guys are sayin the same thing!
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by Leopantro: 1:10pm On Jan 31, 2012
can we stick to the topic? all Android users, install droidwall on your phone or Tablet. it shows all processes that try to connect to the Internet and you can then allow or disallow which ever you want. you can also install netqin. does the same thing but its a bit heavy on usage
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by Leopantro: 1:19pm On Jan 31, 2012
here is a picture

Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by livapul86(m): 1:41pm On Jan 31, 2012
I don't know if the malware in question is responsible for my Android's current problem. I use an etisalat Gaga phone, it suddenly stopped data connection since last week Friday. It stopped showing either E or H. I tried all the trick in the world to no avail till I was left no other option than to reset the phone, thereby losing all my apps and data before it came on. Please does anyone in the house know what I could have done differently? Thanks
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by Leopantro: 1:54pm On Jan 31, 2012
@ livapul86, in your wireless and network setting >mobile network >setting, change network mode to WCDMA.

in access point settings, change authentication type to PAP OR CHAP.

use an app extractor to back up your installed apps.
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by Upright750: 2:57pm On Jan 31, 2012
Iphone is the best for now and in future if i may speak for the future because iphone leads others follow. You cant talk about such crap on any apple devices . With the latest software of apple called iCloud you can track your friends to know exactly where they are in town without calling them. the area, street and house number even before they new it your are there knocking on the door to kick off the party . with same application when your take a photo or write note it will automatically transfer to your i pad , i mac , i pod and even your pc through wi-fi not you will send it. i said automatically, just before you know it , is already there even when you make any change on your note kinda editing, it will also change autocratically to your ur all apple device and your PC . With apple workout application you can speak to your iphone and your iphone will just do all you ask your iphone to do. for instant , ask your iphone to call John and tell him you will be late at work by 12 noon due to some traffic reason . it will do just that. or you ask your iphone to do that through text message it will do that without you touching your phone. listen . Iphone is the best. let tell our self the truth. IF EVERYBODY IS THE SAME , WHERE IS YOUR OWN IPHONE 4S . DIFFERENT LEVEL DIFFERENT PHONE. THIS ONE NO BE THAT ONE CALLED BB , LOL
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by coogar: 3:02pm On Jan 31, 2012
Lemia:

guys d fight between android n iPhone is huge by it all boils down to personal preference.as for me,its android cos[b] I luv being free to customize my device to d maximum[/b].both are awesome. it ist boils down to wat u lyk in a phone

and this is the single reason other phones are vulnerable to malware attacks and apple products are well protected!

it's a no-brainer. . . .apple is the best.
their own browser(safari), their own music store(itunes store), their own virtual storage(icloud), their own devices(ipod, ipad, iphone).
it doesn't get better than that. . . .
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by omoboy08(m): 3:15pm On Jan 31, 2012
can any of these os avoid malwares anyway? But With so much apps influx running on android here n there, i dey smell future danger in droid market. My symbian stil dey do me well sha.
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by omoboy08(m): 3:16pm On Jan 31, 2012
can any of these os avoid malwares anyway? But With so much apps influx running on android here n there, i dey smell future danger in droid market. My symbian stil dey do me well sha.
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by Upright750: 3:24pm On Jan 31, 2012
@coogar this same way you are free is also same way some dam virus or what ever will be free to kill your phone and you may end up loosing all you have save in there or even all your contact. Apple is just being concern about some doom people to create some bad application and called it apple why it's virus just as it has happen in other mobile devices . but when you get any apple application from apple store you will be sure it's really from apple. if it course you any damage then you will hold apple responsible.

But sure you are free to use any mobile of your choice. at least we are in the democratic government . lol
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by moremi2008(m): 3:58pm On Jan 31, 2012
moremi2008:

Ooops! I quoted the wrong guy! Pele! grin
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by Vansnickers: 6:33pm On Jan 31, 2012
moremi2008:

EPIC FAIL.
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by Hanoobaba(m): 6:37pm On Jan 31, 2012
can any of these os avoid malwares anyway? But With so much
apps influx running on android here n there, i dey smell future
danger in droid market. My symbian stil dey do me well sha.
God bless you my Brother, Symbian for Life
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:47pm On Jan 31, 2012
if apple decide to put in some malware in any of their apps and os, how would you know?

incase u didnt notice this all money making scams so?

fanboyism at its pathetic best. . . . . "apple all the way" bla bla bla, yada yada yada.

GROW UP MOOMOOS
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by coogar: 6:58pm On Jan 31, 2012
4llerbuntu:

if apple decide to put in some malware in any of their apps and os, how would you know?

incase u didnt notice this all money making scams so?

fanboyism at its pathetic best. . . . . "apple all the way" bla bla bla, yada yada yada.

GROW UP MOOMOOS

shut up, you poverty-stricken heifer!
if you cannot afford an apple device, don't ruin it for others who can. . . .
why would apple put a malware in their own devices knowing they are easy targets for customers to sue?
does that make sense to you?
Re: Massive Android Malware May Have Infected 5 Million Users || by Abrantie: 10:33pm On Jan 31, 2012
I still rock Windows Mobile, and frankly it makes IOS, Android and even Windows Phone 7 feel like toys. WinMo is a real OS. It's like having a pc in the palm of your hands. That why it's called PowerPC or PPC for short. Can your Iphone or Android connect to your digital camera and download pictures straight from it? All I did was install usb drivers just like you'd on a regular pc and gbam! Sure the interface is not as polished and geewhiz to fool users into forgetting what they're missing but Winmo is more advanced. Oh, and you're not constantly required to be chained to the internet mothership, sometimes called the cloud, with your personal information always being stored on god-knows-where.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Does It Require To Install GCAM / How To Use Spotify In Nigeria For Free / WHY GO FOR Phantom 9 When You Can Get Samsung A40s Wit Around 73k? Samsung A40s!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.