Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,523 members, 7,954,982 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:35 PM

Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There (1301 Views)

Is She Right To Marry Without His Consent? / Guys, Can You Marry Without Love / She Wanna Marry Without Becoming My Friend First..is Something Wrong?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by jfoxx: 9:39am On Oct 15, 2007
Hey, Nairalanders! I need some helps with the Nigerian marriage laws. Is it possible to get marriage without physically being in Nigeria. For example a marriage between someone in the US and someone in Nigeria. What does the law say about this.
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by adekennis(m): 2:42pm On Oct 15, 2007
On behalf of Nairalan, der
We dont know wink
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by Joey82(m): 2:50pm On Oct 15, 2007
we need a lawyer in the house to answer this, if there were a legal section, i shoulda adviced u 2 post this thread there.
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by adekennis(m): 2:52pm On Oct 15, 2007
lol grin
abi! o!
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by zignorr(m): 3:14pm On Oct 15, 2007
adekennis:

On behalf of Nairalan, der
We don't know wink

lol grin grin grin

@post . . .I don't think it is achievable but it is possible anyway undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by Busta(f): 3:24pm On Oct 15, 2007
what kind of marriage is that?
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by dustydee: 3:37pm On Oct 15, 2007
YES ITS POSSIBLE BUT ODD.Heard of someone that did that in Kwara state,his friend stood in for him and he is still married to his wife after over 25 years.
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by zignorr(m): 3:44pm On Oct 15, 2007
Busta:

what kind of marriage is that?

It is called Arranged marriage undecided

lol grin grin grin
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by ayefele200(m): 3:47pm On Oct 15, 2007
zignorr:

It is called Arranged marriage undecided

lol grin grin grin

u worng, its ABSTINEE MARRIAGE
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by cblow(m): 3:51pm On Oct 15, 2007
yeah its possible,
i know of someone, who had already chosen his bride, and spoke with the brides father before relocating to the UK. was however unable to make it back for the traditional wedding, which took place with his younger brother standing in for him, the church wedding however took place in the UK some months later with both of them in attendance,
so it all depends on where u are coming from
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by ifyalways(f): 3:58pm On Oct 15, 2007
Very possible I guess
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by presido1: 4:32pm On Oct 15, 2007
Its possible and it happens every now and then. As far as the two know each other i dont see anything wrong in it. This suppose to be for the traditional marriage. have not seen it tried in Church or white wedding and dont think its ideal anyway.
But can the two be absent in a traditional marriage?
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by ifyalways(f): 4:35pm On Oct 15, 2007
oga over sabi, wetin you dey do here?abi you wan marry in absentia now?
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by presido1: 5:11pm On Oct 15, 2007
like say u know, my baby dey for sudan and me dey here. u wan represent her make i try come back.
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by Joey82(m): 5:16pm On Oct 15, 2007
@presido1,
In ur profile u are a male and now ure potraying urself like a female? are u fake?
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by presido1: 5:21pm On Oct 15, 2007
Joey82:

@presido1,
In your profile u are a male and now ure potraying yourself like a female? are u fake?
Do u read with your brain or your ass. where did i potray myself as a gyl plz let me know.
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:51am On Oct 16, 2007
@topic

yea its possible, if its a traditional marriage. for church wedding or court wedding, i can't say about that.
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by almondjoy(f): 6:44am On Oct 16, 2007
Many people send money home from foreign countries to get married without being there. Especially if one or both parties are "illegal" without residency papers. I know a lot of people who did that. But as mentioned above, it is common with "traditonal weddings".  Then when they are  financially stable, then they can engage in a large scale "ovation" style wedding 10-20 years later.
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by naira4doll(m): 8:26am On Oct 16, 2007
it is possible but for church wedding, if u try it, claiming you wife will be putting assunder, smiley
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 16, 2007
i think japanese used to so it , back in the day- something called picture bride

here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_bride

The term picture bride refers to the practice in the early 20th Century of immigrant workers (chiefly Japanese and Korean) in Hawaii and the West Coast of the United States selecting brides from their native countries via a matchmaker, who paired bride and groom using only photographs and family recommendations of the possible candidates. This is an abbreviated form of the traditional matchmaking process, and is similar in a number of ways to the concept of the mail-order bride.

I just found a diff type

Mail-order bride is a label applied to a woman who publishes her intent to marry someone from another - usually more developed - country. Although the label is widely used, it may have derogatory connotations and may be offensive. [1]

Historically, mail-order brides were women who listed themselves in catalogs and were selected by men for marriage, often with little or no communication between them prior to their first meeting[citation needed]. Sometimes the men and women involved were citizens of different countries, e.g. women from European countries moving to the United States during the 18th and 19th centuries, and sometimes they involved citizens of the same country. Today, most of the women referred to as mail-order brides list themselves on the internet and communicate regularly with their intended husband prior to marriage[citation needed].

Women labeled as mail-order brides hail from dozens of developing countries, particularly Ukraine, Russia, Colombia, Mexico, Philippines, Africa, India, and Malaysia. In the past, international marriage agencies such as Cherry Blossoms allowed women to sign up to be listed in picture magazines; now the Internet has largely supplanted this method. Men who list themselves in such publications may be referred to as mail-order husbands. Nations that often receive mail-order brides are the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and Australia, although some mail-order brides hail from developed nations (notably Sweden, Japan, and Canada).
Re: Is It Possible To Marry Without Being There by barikagbogreat(m): 6:54pm On Sep 14, 2022
[/color][url][color=#000000][/url][/color] grin[color=#000000][url][/color][/url][color=#000000]
If you are eating egusi and amala, if it is possible to stay in london eat in nigeria and drink water in kenya, if so it is possible marry without being there.

(1) (Reply)

Meaning Of Some Words Women Use / If It Were You Wat Will You Do / A Prostitute And A Responsible Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.