Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) (11106 Views)

Men, How Long Can Stay Stay Off Sex Once Your Wife Gives Birth? / Man 'survives Without Food' For 70 Years / Taking Drugs Without Food. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by mxxpunkxx: 3:09pm On Jan 31, 2012
without food (just water only). . . 1 week? 3 weeks? 1 month?
Okay I'm on a thesis on the ill-effects of poverty in Africa. Guess what? I'm using myself as a "guinea pig"
For people like @imperiouxx who know me outside NL, this is real, no jokes!!!

Day 1. - Jan 31st, 2012

Height -  doesn't matter >>> height doesn't reduce without food
Body Weight - 60 kgs
Body Size - Slim (naturally)
Skin Color - Depends on lighting (some days i appear brown, and  i appear bleached on other days)
Eaten: Nothing, just drank 1x 75cl of bottled water
Remarks:  No visible changes in internal and external body functions.

God help me . . .  29 days to go

Update: 4.55pm - slight headache ( my mind playing tricks here I guess )
Update: 6.28 pm   -  headache stopped (no use of medication); no sweat, no fever - nothing
Update: 11.34pm - Gone to bed ( . .  with thoughts of Mahatma Ghandi on my mind)

Day 2. - Feb 1st, 2012

Body Weight - still 60 kgs - i hardly lose weight
Body Size - No visible changes
Skin Color - Appeared lighter today
Eaten: Nothing
Drank: 4 glass cups of water only
Remarks:  Woke up @ 1pm, with blurred vision. My heart was pacing. Went to the kitchen & drank 4 glass-cups of water. Was now sweating like hell.
                Dehydration, I guess. Then had a cold shower. After 30mins, I was feeling like my normal self.

God help me . . .  28 days to go

Update: 4.35pm - Reduced rate of saliva production. it seems my body is starting to enter defense mode.
                                 So I drank another 2 glasses.
Update:  4.50pm -  Browsing on ma laptop - checking out replies here. No ill-effects yet.
Update: - 5.45pm -   Cold sweat . . .  diving into the bathroom for another shower
Update:  9.00pm - Disaster strikes (okay almost) - I had to go get gas. I think I need a massage for my legs
Update. 10.00pm -  Rumbling stomach
Update 11.08pm  - Gone to bed (still experiencing Cold Sweat )

Day 3. - Feb 2nd, 2012

Body Weight - 57 kgs  - shocking, shocking, shocking; biggest surprise of the year
Body Size - Slim
Skin Color - Appearing brown (under inner lighting)
Drank: 6 glasses of 2H20
Remarks:  Tongue color getting pinker, My body feels like am in mid-air (paper-weight)

God help me . . .  27 days to go

Update: 9.30 am - headache headache headache headache headache headache headache
                                  every part of my body is cold (except my feet) - the reverse, kind weird
Update. 11.35pm - am too tired to update this thing . . . been on analgesics

1 Like

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by okosodo: 6:18pm On Jan 31, 2012
I can go 4 6 months
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by mxxpunkxx: 6:27pm On Jan 31, 2012
okosodo:

I can go 4 6 months
I think not
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jan 31, 2012
OP
I'm cheering for you.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by mxxpunkxx: 11:34pm On Jan 31, 2012
BlueDiva:

OP
I'm cheering for you.
thanks
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by Korrection(m): 3:48pm On Feb 01, 2012
12 hours if im on fasting but 8 hours if im broke and dont have food to eat, then ill be forced to go for ragging, done it several times but it helps in weight reduction, fat people finds it hard to starve, eat too much at night and youll wake up farmished in the morning, have you ever experienced that??
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by Gsmxpert(m): 3:53pm On Feb 01, 2012
I SWEAR I CAN STAY WITHOUT FOOD FOR 2 HOURS NO WATER angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by zilon12(m): 3:54pm On Feb 01, 2012
I can only last whem am on nairaland  grin grin
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by Cogent: 3:56pm On Feb 01, 2012
mxxpunkxx:

Okay I'm on a thesis on the ill-effects of poverty in Africa. Guess what? I'm using myself as a "guinea pig"

I give you three days to give up this fast; after hunger don waya you you go begin dey find excuse to go chop food. ("after all I don't need to use myself as guinea pig, can I not google the result on internet instead of doing this fast?"winkgrin grin grin
Anyway Op, drink a lot of water to eliminate headaches. You might not feel like drinking water but you have to.
I don't really subscribe to this water fast sha, I think you should see your doctorbefore doing things like this so as to know if you are in the right condition to carry out a water fast.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by ronkebp(f): 4:00pm On Feb 01, 2012
40 days and 40 nights. since i am a woman would reduce it to 20 days and 20 nights.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by dj5naira(m): 4:04pm On Feb 01, 2012
A second.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by executinal(m): 4:18pm On Feb 01, 2012
Full day, anything after that na die grin
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by Godalone(m): 4:20pm On Feb 01, 2012
24Hrs maximum
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by 1virus(m): 4:34pm On Feb 01, 2012
AT LIST' TWO YEARS without food and water. Ask pastor chris and tb joshua.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by victorazy(m): 4:38pm On Feb 01, 2012
2 hrs
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by ochiaha1(m): 4:41pm On Feb 01, 2012
grin You remind me of the time I and a friend decided to go without  food because we were misinformed that prisoners were not usually fed when they are serving their prison terms. We were both about 9 years then. grin

When my mom prepared breakfast and asked me to eat, I replied that I was not hungery; at lunch time too, I also said I was not hungery. My Mom asked if I was okay and I replied that I was fine and she looked at me with so much concern because, back then, during the holidays, when we had just had breakfast, we shall thank our mom and proceed in the same breath to ask what's for lunch; we were that much in love with food !!!  grin

Anyway, around 5pm of that day, I was so hungery, that I rushed into the kitchen to munch on some snacks !!! I learnt my friend did not make it beyond 12 noon. When we met again the following day, we wondered to ourselves how we shall ever survive if  we were imprisoned.

The above incident is the reason why I try to anwer all questions thrown at me by the little children around me, because if we were encouraged to speak our minds back then, we could have easily ascertained from the Adults around if its true that prisoners were not usually fed while serving their sentences. smiley

@Poster, I have been without food for about a day, although, I was taking a lot of water .

1 Like

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by fred2265: 4:42pm On Feb 01, 2012
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by freecocoa(f): 4:50pm On Feb 01, 2012
Good luck to you OP but please don't forget to update us on when you start to see Everything double double in a very blurry vision,how you can't stand again cos everywhere go dey shake and your head go dey swell,how your belle go dey sing all kinds of songs starting with reggae,then enter hardcore rap to Rock and jazz then come end am with cool blues,finally let us know when you faint,you definitely won't be able to type,just have someone who would help you with that on standby.  

@Topic,I'm not much of a food person,I've gone 3 days without food before but I'm sure I ate upto a carton of biscuit and candy in those 3 days.  
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by emofine2(f): 4:57pm On Feb 01, 2012
@OP

To be honest I'm not a keen eater so can go for a couple of days without eating but that's not even deliberate on my part or something I'm conscious of. I could thus do such an experiment myself but the fact that I will be conscious of my abstinence may cause me to feel the effect even more.
Most likely what you will notice after a while is that some way during the process your body would have been used to such and thus you may not feel hungry as before and by the time you break your fast initially your portions may be pretty small - well at least in my case. However on the upside fasting is good for cleansing the body.

Good luck.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by mxxpunkxx: 4:59pm On Feb 01, 2012
Godalone:

24Hrs maximum

Ur mind, its gonna be more than that !!!!

Cogent:

I give you three days to give up this fast; after hunger don waya you you go begin dey find excuse to go chop food. ("after all I don't need to use myself as guinea pig, can I not google the result on internet instead of doing this fast?"winkgrin grin grin
Anyway Op, drink a lot of water to eliminate headaches. You might not feel like drinking water but you have to.
I don't really subscribe to this water fast sha, I think you should see your doctorbefore doing things like this so as to know if you are in the right condition to carry out a water fast.
LOL, not so fast my friend!!

freecocoa:

Good luck to you OP but please don't forget to update us on when you start to see Everything double double in a very blurry vision,how you can't stand again cos everywhere go dey shake and your head go dey swell,how your belle go dey sing all kinds of songs starting with reggae,then enter hardcore rap to Rock and jazz then come end am with cool blues,finally let us know when you faint,you definitely won't be able to type[b],just have someone who would help you with that on standby.  

@Topic,I'm not much of a food person,I've gone 3 days without food before but I'm sure I ate upto a carton of biscuit and candy in those 3 days.  [/b]
LOL, funny u! yeah mom is a medic . . . and i got people around. They are aware, so they always checking up on me

@all
Enjoy the updates.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by FEMARY1: 5:24pm On Feb 01, 2012
mxxpunkxx:

without food (just water only). . . 1 week? 3 weeks? 1 month?

Day 1. - Jan 31st, 2012

Body Weight - 60 kgs
Body Size - Slim (naturally)
Skin Color - Depends on lighting (some days i appear brown, and  i appear bleached on other days)
Eaten: Nothing, just drank 1x 75cl of bottled water
Remarks:  No visible changes in internal and external body functions.

God help me . . .  29 days to go

Update: 4.55pm - slight headache ( my mind playing tricks here I guess )
Update: 6.28 pm   -  headache stopped (no use of medication); no sweat, no fever - nothing
Update: 11.34pm - Gone to bed ( . .  with thoughts of Mahatma Ghandi on my mind)

Day 2. - Feb 1st, 2012

Body Weight - still 60 kgs - i hardly lose weight
Body Size - No visible changes
Skin Color - Appeared lighter today
Drank: 4 glass cups of water only
Remarks:  Woke up @ 1pm, with blurred vision. My heart was pacing. Went to the kitchen & drank 4 glass-cups of water. Was now sweating like hell.
Dehydration, I guess. Then had a cold shower. After 30mins, I was feeling like my normal self.

God help me . . .  28 days to go

Update: 4.35pm - Reduced rate of saliva production. it seems my body is starting to enter defense mode.
So I drank another 2 glasses.
Update: 4.50pm - Browsing on ma laptop - checking out replies here. No ill-effects yet.

Please tell us how you are feeling now.Do you feel more healthier?Are you more spiritual now?

Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by slimyem: 5:31pm On Feb 01, 2012
the longest i can go is 12 hrs and the only time i've ever done it wasnt intentional.i wan die that day.only God save me.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by Wisdomxy(m): 5:32pm On Feb 01, 2012
Twenty One Days
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by jmoore(m): 5:42pm On Feb 01, 2012
there was a guy that fasted for 1 year
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by mxxpunkxx: 5:46pm On Feb 01, 2012
@femary1
Spiritual ke? Hmmmn, don't know yet . , but i feel lighter and fit . . . Too much food kills, u know grin grin grin grin
As u can see, I am still fit enough to play with ma PC
But i have been sweating like hell , .
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by jimctu: 5:58pm On Feb 01, 2012
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by PeeBee: 6:06pm On Feb 01, 2012
24 to 26hrs on water alone.
@Op, goodluck in your research!
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by Acidosis(m): 6:16pm On Feb 01, 2012
may be 2 days
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by kunyeo(m): 6:18pm On Feb 01, 2012
Food is one of the cravings of the flesh apart from sex.Once you conquer it ,you conquer all things. Trace all your desires,aspirations and ambitions,they are all indirectly linked to food.
Re: How Long Can You Go Without Food (practical Experience) by shags(m): 6:51pm On Feb 01, 2012
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked except if dere is famine one dae kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Keik Foundation Visits Kidney Patient, Foot Bills To Mark World Kidney Day / Advise needed - D&C / 5 Practical Ways To Improve Health Care In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.