Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally (2865 Views)

The Cry Of A Heartbroken Nigerian Husband In Houston whose wife cheated / How Much Should A Potential Nigerian Husband Earn? / How To Divorce My Nigerian Husband? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by preciousangel: 2:43am On Feb 04, 2012
I am american my husband is nigerian I married him in 2003 and he went home and could not come back. I stayed in nigeria for a year with him until the us embassy told me i had to go home. because of financial issues between him and i , i could not visit him, sooooooo finally when i decided to visit him or should i say he decided for me to visit him , i noticed on face book the nigga then up and married the chick he said he got pregnant. so then i threatened his ass to tell his parents to pay for the divorce since im pretty sure they paid for the wedding and since then i have not heard from him he does not answer any more bla bla bla and all that good stuff . I need to serve him the divorce papers legally
Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by moremi2008(m): 2:46am On Feb 04, 2012
Going to a herbalist and calling his name three times grin grin grin grin grin!
Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by preciousangel: 2:53am On Feb 04, 2012
lol roflmao
Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by queensmith: 3:03am On Feb 04, 2012
you answered the question yourself- how on earth do i serve my husband divorce papers? the answer is legally. kapish!
Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by adonisgold: 3:13am On Feb 04, 2012
Maybe i can help, am a lawyer, indicate if u interested and i will drop my contact

Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by preciousangel: 3:30am On Feb 04, 2012
umm i am not stupid and far from it, I did not answer the question my self, me trying to find out how to do it legally from the united states with no issues, and no 419 and no one saying it was not done correctly, and i said to serve him papers legally i mean if you like you can give me 2000 dollars for a ticket and pay for my upkeep and hell i will serve him my self
Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by preciousangel: 3:32am On Feb 04, 2012
@ adonisgold i am do you have a website
Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by Nobody: 4:07am On Feb 04, 2012
Do not ring anybody that offers you help. There are a lot of lawyers here and they will offer you the advice you need and tell you what to do here.

Do not call anybody outside nairaland that wants to offer to help you and might ask for a little fee. If he wants to help, let him tell you where to go to and what to do right here.

All The best
Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by preciousangel: 4:10am On Feb 04, 2012
lol thanks jenny, ohhh dont worry i know all the 419 tricks trust me my soon to be x taught me alot
Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by preciousangel: 4:12am On Feb 04, 2012
that was why i asked for a website and got no response im pretty sure in a few days one will have been made and they will respond
Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by mrmayor(m): 4:07pm On Feb 04, 2012
@Preciousangel,

The best way to serve Legal Papers on Hard/Difficult or Refused to be Served people is to publish in a newspaper. There are so many Legal Notices served in Nigerian newspapers everyday, you can look up advert prices from their sites.

Best of Luck.
Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by uche13: 6:01pm On Feb 04, 2012
In Nigeria, if you want to serve a notice on a person that can not be found that is a legal process, you have to go to court, file what is called a motion for substituted means giving reasons why personal service is not possible. The judge grants the motion and you could then paste it at the last known addy of d person,go with the court bailiff, take a pix and file proof of service. If you do not know the last known addy, then u request through the motion to service in a national daily.
Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by preciousangel: 11:54pm On Feb 04, 2012
Thanks for the advice , the problem is i have to pay for the divorce and have a job so i cant just up and fly to nigeria to go to a court or to post notice on door. is it possible some one can stand in my place that is there?
Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by Meddler(f): 5:03am On Feb 05, 2012
I don't think you have to go to that extent. Have you tried asking a lawyer in the US. Can't remember what d process is called but essentially since d other party is absent you can put an ad in d newspaper which wud run for 30 days. If no response, the judge grants you d divorce. You might want to look into that and figure out if it applies in ur situation. A friend of mine went thru that route.
Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by agiboma(f): 10:06am On Feb 05, 2012
Meddler:

I don't think you have to go to that extent. Have you tried asking a lawyer in the US. Can't remember what d process is called but essentially since d other party is absent you can put an ad in d newspaper which wud run for 30 days. If no response, the judge grants you d divorce. You might want to look into that and figure out if it applies in ur situation. A friend of mine went thru that route.

I have two friends that got a divorce that way, but they where is Canada I am not sure if it works the same over there in USA.
Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by Meddler(f): 12:57pm On Feb 05, 2012
It does that's how a friend of mine did it. Her husband was incarcerated at the time she got hers and she didn't want to go through the hassles of contesting and all the stuff that goes with a divorce. Her lawyer filed the case in court and placed an ad in the papers for 30 days. Once the 30 days were up she was a free woman.
Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by Nobody: 10:53pm On Feb 05, 2012
You're over thinking this. What state are you in?

In most locality you can attest that you are unable to locate your Husband. Some states will require you to post notice in a publication. Post on NairaLand. After 30 days in most states then you can go back to court.

This is really a non issue.

PS: If you are morally flexible, just claim you are afraid of contacting him due to threat of bodily harm and you will even be excused from the filing. Much easier in Nevada/Arizona, harder in California.
Re: How On Gods Green Earth Do I Serve Divorce Papers To My Nigerian Husband Legally by mutter(f): 4:55pm On Feb 07, 2012
Legal advise -You can divorce him from where you are. All you need to do is give the court his last known address and they will take it up from there. Some judges might go through the American embassy in Nigeria, who would then try to effect the service in Nigeria.
You do not NEED a lawyer for a divorce. The exception might be if property in Nigeria is involved.
It is not your responsibility to serve the documents, neither do you need to crack your head about how the court intends to do so. The divorce is also valid when he has no notice of it.
However be aware that in the event that you want to remarry a Nigerian, the problem of getting the divorce endorsed in a Nigerian court will arise.

(1) (Reply)

Are You Sticking To Your New Year Resolutions? / I Want To Start A New Life In Kwara. Help! / Billionaire Daughter, Adama Indimi, Stuns New Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.