Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,790 members, 7,820,772 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. - Culture (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. (70589 Views)

The Edos And The Rains / The Edos / The Edos & The Children Of Israel - Born Of The Same Father! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by lawani: 12:19pm On Jan 01, 2017
cheruv:

Aros migrated from Nri/Nshi/Nhi as businessmen before arriving at and conquering Arochukwu in 1700. The only non Igbo group they have relationship with are the Ibibio, who they conquered Arochukwu from during the Aro-Ibibio wars.
Like I told your brother omofunav in another thread, stop claiming relationship where there's none.
As for the topic at hand, Idu has no relationship with Igbos... Yes they conquered Anioma in the 1570s but were defeated and expelled from Anioma during the great Ubulu war of 1755. And since after that war, Idu has focused their conquests westwards.
The people you see claiming Bini influence in Igboland are descendants of the Bini soldiers that were allowed to settle after their army was defeated in the ubulu war...that's the same thing you see among some Northern Igbos that claim igala. After their troops were crushed in the battle of lake omelu-Igala in the 1800s, the scattered remains of their army settled among the northern population, give rise to the current igala in Anambra and Enugwu states

I AM NOT SAYING AROS HAVE RELATIONSHIP WITH YORUBAS, LEARNT FROM YORUBAS AND ETC. OF COURSE NOT BUT THEY GOT ESSENTIALLY SAME RESULTS!. THAT IS THE ISSUE. THE AROS LEARNT POLITICAL ORGANISATION SKILLS FROM THE IBIBIO. THEY WERE IBIBIO WHO BECAME IGBOS. THE REAL IGBOS WERE LESS CONCERNED ABOUT STATESMANSHIP, NATION BUILDING AND ETC IN THE PAST.

TO THE WEST, IGBOS ARE UNDER THE HEAVY INFLUENCE OF YORUBA AND IGALA. BENIN IS YORUBA, LEARN THAT TODAY. EDO WAS JUST A DISTRICT LANGUAGE. ANYTHING BENIN EMPIRE IS YORUBA. BENIN EMPIRE HAD MANY INDIGENOUS LANGUAGES BUT YORUBA WAS LINGUA FRANCA AND THE BENIN CAPITAL WAS YORUBA, EVEN BENIN PALACE ALONE WAS A YORUBA CITY OF WELL OVER 50,000 PEOPLE THAT SPOKE ONLY YORUBA. YORUBA PALACES USED TO BE CITIES ON THEIR OWN. EDO PEOPLE CAME FROM THE SUBURBS AFTER THE EMPIRE FELL.

AND AMONG IGBOS, THE MAJORITY OF THOSE NOW BRANDED OSUS ARE OF YORUBA DESCENT, EVEN DNA WILL CONFIRM THIS.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by cheruv: 1:04pm On Jan 01, 2017
[quote author=lawani post=52438611]

I AM NOT SAYING AROS HAVE RELATIONSHIP WITH YORUBAS, LEARNT FROM YORUBAS AND ETC. OF COURSE NOT BUT THEY GOT ESSENTIALLY SAME RESULTS!. THAT IS THE ISSUE
Enyi, there's no issue here... These are two independent developments that had no relationship with each other
THE AROS LEARNT POLITICAL ORGANISATION SKILLS FROM THE IBIBIO. THEY WERE IBIBIO WHO BECAME IGBOS
The Aro learnt political organization from the Nri...they only modified it by adding a military component to the complex.if Nri built an army alongside their politico religious system, there'd have been no Igala or Bini people now,bkos these nations were under the spiritual sphere of Nri.concerning your second claim,Aros were groups of business families from Nri that came and conquered Ibri Itam renaming it "Arochukwu"(meaning sceptre of the great God).so how did they turn around to become Ibibio shocked
THE REAL IGBOS WERE LESS CONCERNED ABOUT STATESMANSHIP, NATION BUILDING AND ETC IN THE PAST
There are no real Igbos... The Igbo in Igbo akri(igbanke) of Edo state is the same as the Igbo in Izi of Ebonyi just as the Igbo in Nsuka is the same as the Igbo in Ubani(bonny/opobo) of Rivers state. According to you,Can you tell me one difference btwm a fake and real Igbo?

TO THE WEST, IGBOS ARE UNDER THE HEAVY INFLUENCE OF YORUBAIDU AND IGALA
Having only political influence is "heavy" to you Really shocked
Moreover even the political influence was destroyed in the ubulu and lake omelu-igala wars by the end of the 1700s. That's why when Idu capitulated to the Brits in 1897,the Ishan and the other Edoids quickly surrendered afterwards but the Anioma kept on the war until 1911 when the Brits, realizing that source of Anioma resistance was from the ofo that the Eze Nri had seized the ofo and humiliated the Eze Nri. Three years after that Anioma resistance crumbled which enabled the Brits to finally amalgamate Nigeria. If the Brits didn't show everyone that the Eze Nri wasn't a spirit as previously thought, Anioma would've kept up the fight!
BENIN IS YORUBA, LEARN THAT TODAY. EDO WAS JUST A DISTRICT LANGUAGE. ANYTHING BENIN EMPIRE IS YORUBA. BENIN EMPIRE HAD MANY INDIGENOUS LANGUAGES BUT YORUBA WAS LINGUA FRANCA AND THE BENIN CAPITAL WAS YORUBA, EVEN BENIN PALACE ALONE WAS A YORUBA CITY OF WELL OVER 50,000 PEOPLE THAT SPOKE ONLY YORUBA. YORUBA PALACES USED TO BE CITIES ON THEIR OWN
Edo people would be in the best position to answer this claim...though in my eyes it looks like what you pulled outta thin air .
EDO PEOPLE CAME FROM THE SUBURBS AFTER THE EMPIRE FELL
How come the British conquerors didn't record this
Another of your facts from thin air undecided.

AND AMONG IGBOS, THE MAJORITY OF THOSE NOW BRANDED OSUS ARE OF YORUBA DESCENT, EVEN DNA WILL CONFIRM THIS

Said who
It seems you've a knack for making outrageous claims grin
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by lawani: 5:28pm On Jan 01, 2017
[quote author=cheruv post=52439398][/quote]

BENIN IS IBINU AND THAT IS A YORUBA WORD. THE CAPITAL WAS A YORUBA CITY LIKE OWO OR WARRI SURROUNDED BY EDO SPEAKERS IN THE SUBURBS. YOU FIND EDO SPEAKERS IN BENIN AND SUBURBS ONLY. NOWHERE ELSE TILL TODAY WHEREAS YOU FIND YORUBA TOWNS BESIDE ASABA, WARRI IS A YORUBA TOWN AND ALL URHOBO, IJAW IN THE OLD IWERE STATE (WARRI) SPOKE YORUBA IN THE PAST WITH THEIR LANGUAGE. SO, BASIC REASONING EVEN WITHOUT RESEARCH SHOULD TELL YOU THAT BENIN EMPIRE WAS YORUBA LIKE OTHER YORUBA STATES. YOU ADDRESS BENIN OFFICERS ONLY IN YORUBA, THE BRITISH CORRESPONDED WITH THEM IN YORUBA LANGUAGE NEVER EDO WHICH WAS A DISTRICT LANGUAGE LIKE URHOBO, IJAW, ORA AND ETC. DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW?

NRI HAD A LEVEL OF ORGANISATION BUT IT WAS NOT A STATE. A STATE REQUIRES AN EZE AND LARGE CITIES AND IGBOS HAD NONE. THE ARO CAPITAL WAS A CITY COMPARABLE IN SIZE TO YORUBA OR HAUSA CITIES BUT OTHER IGBOS HAD NO SUCH CITIES. EVIDENTLY THE AROS STARTED OFF AS IBIBIOS, THEN THE IGBO LANGUAGE AND CULTURE LATER PREDOMINATED BUT NOT WHOLLY. ARO IS NOT NRI CULTURALLY.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by cheruv: 6:54pm On Jan 01, 2017
lawani:

BENIN IS IBINU AND THAT IS A YORUBA WORD. THE CAPITAL WAS A YORUBA CITY LIKE OWO OR WARRI SURROUNDED BY EDO SPEAKERS IN THE SUBURBS. YOU FIND EDO SPEAKERS IN BENIN AND SUBURBS ONLY. NOWHERE ELSE TILL TODAY WHEREAS YOU FIND YORUBA TOWNS BESIDE ASABA, WARRI IS A YORUBA TOWN AND ALL URHOBO, IJAW IN THE OLD IWERE STATE (WARRI) SPOKE YORUBA IN THE PAST WITH THEIR LANGUAGE. SO, BASIC REASONING EVEN WITHOUT RESEARCH SHOULD TELL YOU THAT BENIN EMPIRE WAS YORUBA LIKE OTHER YORUBA STATES. YOU ADDRESS BENIN OFFICERS ONLY IN YORUBA, THE BRITISH CORRESPONDED WITH THEM IN YORUBA LANGUAGE NEVER EDO WHICH WAS A DISTRICT LANGUAGE LIKE URHOBO, IJAW, ORA AND ETC. DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW?

NRI HAD A LEVEL OF ORGANISATION BUT IT WAS NOT A STATE. A STATE REQUIRES AN EZE AND LARGE CITIES AND IGBOS HAD NONE. THE ARO CAPITAL WAS A CITY COMPARABLE IN SIZE TO YORUBA OR HAUSA CITIES BUT OTHER IGBOS HAD NO SUCH CITIES. EVIDENTLY THE AROS STARTED OFF AS IBIBIOS, THEN THE IGBO LANGUAGE AND CULTURE LATER PREDOMINATED BUT NOT WHOLLY. ARO IS NOT NRI CULTURALLY.
Aro came from Nri... There's nothing like they started off as Ibibio bla bla bla
Nri had an Eze... He was a priest king unlike the Eze Aro who was a nominal king.
Your yaps about Idu being an yoruba enclave in a Bini sea looks so farfetched to me...at times I wonder whether you think am a child you can be telling such lies undecided you can't even back your lies up cheesy
Stop talking about Igboland kos all you peddle here are lies..all in a bid to show that yoruba culture is superior.
At times I wonder why you yorubas are like this
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ehikwe22: 11:12pm On Jan 05, 2017
cheruv:

Aro came from Nri... There's nothing like they started off as Ibibio bla bla bla
Nri had an Eze... He was a priest king unlike the Eze Aro who was a nominal king.
Your yaps about Idu being an yoruba enclave in a Bini sea looks so farfetched to me...at times I wonder whether you think am a child you can be telling such lies undecided you can't even back your lies up cheesy
Stop talking about Igboland kos all you peddle here are lies..all in a bid to show that yoruba culture is superior.
At times I wonder why you yorubas are like this
Well, his lies are not as much as yours. I've been observing your post and wondering if you're even from Anioma like you are claiming here.

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by RedboneSmith(m): 11:18pm On Jan 05, 2017
ehikwe22:
Well, his lies are not as much as yours. I've been observing your post and wondering if you're even from Anioma like you are claiming here.

He is from Imo State. The problem with liars on this board is that they tend not to remember that it is possible to go back and check their posting history.

2 Likes

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by laudate: 11:24pm On Jan 05, 2017
ehikwe22:

Hehehe...... I don talk say I no go laugh today, but.... cheesy

RedboneSmith:
He is from Imo State. The problem with liars on this board is that they tend not to remember that it is possible to go back and check their posting history.

Wow!! shocked Are you serious that he is from Imo?? Hmmn.... undecided
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ehikwe22: 12:21am On Jan 06, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Yes, I've observed his comments here and I find it hard to believe he's from Delta. He knows a few things about Anioma and decided to start impersonating. Igbos are fond of doing that

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by oyatz(m): 10:19am On Feb 24, 2017
Returnee ex-slaves don't own anywhere, they only SETTLED on the portion Of Isale-Eko allocated to them by the indigenous Awori land owners.

Returnee Slaves only own Campos and Lafiagi area - they don't own all of Isale-Eko, Idumagbo and other places are owned by mostly Aworis and a few Ijebus,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by LilTyRoNe: 10:28pm On Mar 26, 2017
aljharem:

tell me a word that is similar to edo and igbo ?

even onitsha aka anambra is a yoruba town

north east anmbra is part of igala town

the edos had cloths you never until you got incontact with the hausa,yoruba and edos.

so tell me the similarity, tongue

Onitsha a yoruba town ke. guy did you eat a plate of watery beans before typing. I tire
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by googi: 12:50am On Dec 14, 2017
Wow!

I did not realize that Dele Giwa, Dele Momodu, Segun Ogini, Ayegun, Apata etc are from Bini or Edo. I thought they were from the West. May be the Mid-West got me confused.

We cannot let E-Warrior know this, they will expel all the Bini that are Yoruba from Edo State. Hopefully with their Oba that always lease land at coronation from Ogiso children.

We learn something everyday!

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by oyatz(m): 2:30pm On Aug 03, 2018
You are wrong sir.

The igbimina descended from Ila-Orangun, one of the early Yoruba States.

sbeezy8:

makes no sense.

I dont know what you mean. It was the edos that said yorubas descended from them and the yorubas who said the edos descended from them.

Was is not the edos that claimed Oba of Lagos is bini origin. so how is that yoruba dominance.

and dont know if you can read or not but there is no culture in Nigeria surrounding the SW that has had Strong cultuural influence on yoruba. even if half the yorubas today are not yoruba in origin. who will tell them otherwise.

Igbomina werent yoruba before but they are now. an Oyo person cannot understand igbomina or Ijebu.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Olu317(m): 9:25pm On Aug 03, 2018
oyatz:
Returnee ex-slaves don't own anywhere, they only SETTLED on the portion Of Isale-Eko allocated to them by the indigenous Awori land owners.
Furthermore, the retunees settlers descendants were oyos,ijeshas,Ekitis,Igbominas,Okuns descendants etc.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Olu317(m): 9:35pm On Aug 03, 2018
googi:
Wow!

I did not realize that Dele Giwa, Dele Momodu, Segun Ogini, Ayegun, Apata etc are from Bini or Edo. I thought they were from the West. May be the Mid-West got me confused.

We cannot let E-Warrior know this, they will expel all the Bini that are Yoruba from Edo State. Hopefully with their Oba that always lease land at coronation from Ogiso children.

We learn something everyday!
some of the people you mentioned were descendants of famliy that their ancestor were conscripted servants-messenger of Óoní.

N.B:
Yoruba don't disrespect people even if they are low in real status because slave can be become a ‘son' via intermarriage and great exploit.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by oyatz(m): 7:53am On Aug 04, 2018
Until Nigeria was formed in 1914, the Binis and Yorubas didn't even see themselves as different peoples.
Many Yoruba people (including royal families) in Ondo, Ekiti, some parts of Osun, Ogun and Lagos have Bini origin and many people in the Old Bini Empire were of Yoruba ancestry.

Read about the famous pilgrimage of Owa Atakumosa of Ijeshaland to Bini and the historical events connected with it in Ilesha, Ipetu, Akure, Owo and Bini (Ile-Ibinu).

As a matter of fact, most tribes in Southern Nigeria are interwoven,closely related and acted as such until tribalism was introduced in the 1940s to 1950s in the course of preparation for independence as a mean to earn 'better deals' in the new emerging country.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by oyatz(m): 4:47pm On Aug 04, 2018
The truth is that the classification of peoples as Yoruba, Igbo, Edo, Igala, Ijaw is a very recent thing which started just before total colonialism. Before that time, there was no tribal/ethnic groups as we know it today and we only had kingdoms/Empires.
The old kingdoms/empires WERE NEVER FULLY HOMOGENEOUS. There was nothing like tribalism or 'non indigenes' then. Any one living in any kingdom were regarded as indigenes of that kingdom.
'Non-indigenes' that showed great military skills or business acumen were even knighted or given chieftaincy titles. Many of the young men who in the armies who defended/fought for Igala,Ijebu, Ijesha ,Agbor ,Ado Kingdoms or the Bini and Oyo empires were actually ex-slaves captured from neighbouring towns.
Two classical examples=> 1) The descendants of Yoruba soldiers fighting for the Bini empire are the present 'Olukumi' in Anioma and others scattered in Afemai.

2) Afonja's army in Ilorin were largely composed of ex-Hausa slaves who escaped from their Oyo masters, itinerant Fulani men recruited through Sheu Alimi and some Nupe mercenaries all of whom were 'non indigenes' who were not expected to be sympathetic to the Alaafin and were willing to help Afonja in the civil war to secede from the Old Oyo Empire.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Olu317(m): 3:17pm On Aug 05, 2018
All in the name to group all different ethnic groups into one?You amaze me bro. I wish you have visited some local stalls,market places to see how the common people differentiate themselves,even among same ethnic groups.
Kindly stop muddling issue up. Southern Nigeria aren't the same group of people even if there were later mutual relationship between different ethnic group or clans,after series of engagement on the war front.
Nupe as you mentioned were Bariba,Tapa, Baruba,Éfà people, Igala extention etc and had been a long enemy of neighbouring towns of Yoruba groups, even if the word‘ Yoruba' became uniformly used around 18th-19th century to cover all Yoruba,irrespctive of location. A proverb illustrate this; oyatz, kindly ask a grounded yorubaman or woman to explain what it means to say, ‘à yè gbà Tàpà tàn o fé kò'lè igunu'. Does this mean,Yoruba and Tapa are same stock? Of course not . All migrants outside Ileife, during and after Odua took cognisance of their ancestral connection to ILE IFE,with panegyric( oriki). Mind you, all founding fathers of new Yoruba settlement ,mostly take along IFA priests,hunters, warriors and other priests of differnent ancestors of theirs to the new found lands,which direction were mostly based on IFA direction.
Even in ancient Yoruba settlement, their exist different families that are grouped along, kings, queens, princes,princesses,chiefs,priests, servants,slaves,citizens and all group of people in the ancient society had panegyric ,which determined, who can be married to without discrimination.
And yes,slaves and servants were lured to Ilórin by Àfónjá and not Àlìmì. He, Àlìmì was himself a servant of Àfónjá.Ilorin history have been dissected by historians and each family know her ancestors history.
Contrary to your opinion, interwoven of southern Nigeria hasnt change the fact that each group know, where they migrated from,when matter arises.
The Olukumi that fought for Bini left Bini,when things changed.What does that mean to you, when group of warrior left their extended relation? It simply meant ‘ oko kî in sì là mâ sì àalà.
There is no reason to be sympathetic about this because,God didn't make mistake about language development,culture and mode of worship.
Do you even know Ibos are more bodily hairy than Yorubas? cool I bet you have no idea about this or didnt care to note it because of your belief about southern Nigeria. People can be related, which is quite true but one's ethnic group come up before anything else. Among the Ga people, they still disagree on their different migration despite the favt they are a unified entity because of their ancestors history. The same can be said about Khoikhoi are the traditionally nomadic pastoralist non-Bantu indigenous population of southwestern Africa and San people that are once called Bushmen,who.merged as same group due to close proximity and marriages.
Despite all humanoid are related,the difference still exist because of mode of life and different evolution.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by oyatz(m): 6:55pm On Aug 05, 2018
Sir, you probably didn't understand my post very because you are using the present ethnic grouping to view the past.

1) 250years ago, there was no Yoruba, Igbo, Edo, Urhobo, Efik or Ijaw ethnic groups as we know them today.

2) Tribalism , ethnic consciousness and the need to create a 'we Vs them' classification as we know it today started long after 1914.

3) Ethnic groups are NOT fixed permanently, they change with time. Today, no body in Britain call himself Saxons,Anglos, Vandals, Normans or celts, we now have English, Welsh or Scotts.

4) Today, it will be very difficult for a Bariba man to become a Permanent secretary in Oyo State or a Bini to become a LG chairman in Anambra State but the royal dynasties in Ogbomosho and Kishi both in Oyo State were started by Bariba men.
Centuries years ago,Oba Ozolua of Bini conquered many kingdoms and installed his sons on their thrones in Ijebu, Owo, Idoani, Okpe and Aboh. Till today, many Yorubas in Ondo, Ekiti, some in Ijesha, Ogun and Lagos States are of Bini origin.
Many people in the present Edo, Delta and Kogi States are of Yoruba origin. . .we may not identity as the same people today but we are from the same sources.

5) All tribes emerge from previously existing tribes (usually within their vicinity) accelerated by varying mixing through conquest, marriage , trade or religion.
The Aja people= Yoruba+ Ewe
Itsekiri= Yoruba (80%)+Bini (10%)+ Ijaw
Anioma= Bini+Igbo+Igala
Ogori/Mangogo= Yoruba +Ebira +Nupe
Eshan= Bini+Igbo+Igala +Yoruba
Yoruba= Indigenous ancient peoples +Oduduwa groups +Bini + several neighboring tribes
Kano= Hausa + Fulani+Karekare + Jukun
Ikwere= Igbo+ Bini+Ijaw+ Ogoni
French= Gauls+ Franks+ Romans

Olu317:
All in the name to group all different ethnic groups into one?You amaze me bro. I wish you have visited some local stalls,market places to see how the common people differentiate themselves,even among same ethnic groups.
Kindly stop muddling issue up. Southern Nigeria aren't the same group of people even if there were later mutual relationship between different ethnic group or clans,after series of engagement on the war front.
Nupe as you mentioned were Bariba,Tapa, Baruba,Éfà people, Igala extention etc and had been a long enemy of neighbouring towns of Yoruba groups, even if the word‘ Yoruba' became uniformly used around 18th-19th century to cover all Yoruba,irrespctive of location. A proverb illustrate this; oyatz, kindly ask a grounded yorubaman or woman to explain what it means to say, ‘à yè gbà Tàpà tàn o fé kò'lè igunu'. Does this mean,Yoruba and Tapa are same stock? Of course not . All migrants outside Ileife, during and after Odua took cognisance of their ancestral connection to ILE IFE,with panegyric( oriki). Mind you, all founding fathers of new Yoruba settlement ,mostly take along IFA priests,hunters, warriors and other priests of differnent ancestors of theirs to the new found lands,which direction were mostly based on IFA direction.
Even in ancient Yoruba settlement, their exist different families that are grouped along, kings, queens, princes,princesses,chiefs,priests, servants,slaves,citizens and all group of people in the ancient society had panegyric ,which determined, who can be married to without discrimination.
And yes,slaves and servants were lured to Ilórin by Àfónjá and not Àlìmì. He, Àlìmì was himself a servant of Àfónjá.Ilorin history have been dissected by historians and each family know her ancestors history.
Contrary to your opinion, interwoven of southern Nigeria hasnt change the fact that each group know, where they migrated from,when matter arises.
The Olukumi that fought for Bini left Bini,when things changed.What does that mean to you, when group of warrior left their extended relation? It simply meant ‘ oko kî in sì là mâ sì àalà.
There is no reason to be sympathetic about this because,God didn't make mistake about language development,culture and mode of worship.
Do you even know Ibos are more bodily hairy than Yorubas? cool I bet you have no idea about this or didnt care to note it because of your belief about southern Nigeria. People can be related, which is quite true but one's ethnic group come up before anything else. Among the Ga people, they still disagree on their different migration despite the favt they are a unified entity because of their ancestors history. The same can be said about Khoikhoi are the traditionally nomadic pastoralist non-Bantu indigenous population of southwestern Africa and San people that are once called Bushmen,who.merged as same group due to close proximity and marriages.
Despite all humanoid are related,the difference still exist because of mode of life and different evolution.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by googi: 8:21pm On Aug 05, 2018
Olu317

Aiye gba Tapa, o kole Igunnu is a Lagos proverb or saying unless Tapa established Igunnu all over Yoruba land. Either way, they are Yoruba on their journey southward.

Remember seven locations of Ife per Prof. Ade Obayomi.

You are right about the Yoruba slaves, they can work their way up to kingship.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Olu317(m): 10:08pm On Aug 05, 2018
googi:
Olu317

Aiye gba Tapa, o kole Igunnu is a Lagos proverb or saying unless Tapa established Igunnu all over Yoruba land. Either way, they are Yoruba on their journey southward.

Remember seven locations of Ife per Prof. Ade Obayomi.

You are right about the Yoruba slaves, they can work their way up to kingship.

My brother, I am a Yoruba man as you are and I am sure you and I know the manner at which our ancestors married different group of people,even amongst Tapa people. I didnt loose foresight of this but we must not ignore the truth because, we are on social media.Tapa were and are people that tormented Yorubas before we subdued their prowess within ancient Yoruba enclaves . And these people are partly spread from Niger, Kaduna, Plateau,Abuja, kwara through Bénin Republic etc . These People were the Borgu- Nupe people. And I have
read about the claim by professor Ade Obayomi.But Let me quickly say this that,there were many wars fought by Yorubas against many sorrounding /neighbouring groups,which some were lost and many were won by Yorubas. And during each conquest by Yorubas,they capture the conquered and took along slaves and dieties worshipped by these conquered people,which testify to different deities in Yoruba land.
Have you had an encounter with a real Tapa person ? I mean undilluted breed . If yes, can you hear his or her language? I asked this because I have come across Tapas and their real language is not intelligible to Yorubas,apart from the ones that have been infiltrated by Yorubas in Kwara. Furthermore, the proverb only indicated the reality on the ground about difference in people's way of life and traditions. And for you to think, it is a Lagos proverb,then I guess you missed the point. Arent the people that made such proverb Yorubas? I am sure you will realise that, such statement must have been because of a fracas between some yorubas and Tapas. Else such will not exist in Yoruba proverb. If you claim otherwise, Do you know Borgu was the name Nupe gave or called Pharaoh. This name got stock to some Nupe breed.The Arabs writers called Pharaoh as Barkou and the Coptic Christians called him Barkhou( Folorunso 2003: 78).How come this name is not in Yoruba lexicon? Again, do you remember this proverb,‘ è yì tì o wà lé èyìn éfà o jù ojè ló ?' Clearly,it meant a town known as Éfà existed at one time or the other. And éfà was a town that wasnt of Yoruba origin ,but were people that once lived around Yoruba people with mystique which was not far from Òffà And migrated through Edo as pioneer aborigines of Edoland. Apart from the proverb ,everything connecting Yoruba to Éfà have been sealed up and thrown into dungeon. And the other account to these people as being conquered , annihilated , assimilated and some migrated to only God know territories without traces or change of identity. Their ancient abode don't exist anymore in the òffà axis. What about another proverb as thus,‘ à fì ènì pè'nì à fì èyàn pè'yàn tì o mù àrà' oko sàn bànté wólù?' Who was the àrà oko if not uncultured and uncivilized stranger from neighbouring town? Proverb among Yoruba is a reflection of their past events that had shaped their present.And the present will shape the future. Do you know there are numerous word of Yorubas that arent found in west Africa's lexions? The point is that there are too many unrealistic information I find on NL that does not reflect the truth about Nigeria's different ethnic groups. Facts are their that support that Tapa aren't Yorubas in the same way Gambari or Hausas aren't Yorubas.

Dig deeper and you will see more than meet the eye.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Olu317(m): 10:37pm On Aug 05, 2018
Quite some point you portray ovethere. But you seem not to know much about Yorubas people because you operate on what you seemingly think it is true.
Let me quickly refresh your memory about a Ilorin town history which is over 200 years ago whose leader was Afonja. You see, Yoruba have a way to differentiate themselves according to noble or royal blood. Even among the noble or royal blood, some have a higher hierarchy than the others. This was the reason Afonja couldnt become the desired king he wanted to be in Oyo and he became bittered about it,despite his matrilineal connection to Oyo royal blood. .As you can see,family is extremely important in yoruba history. So,irrespective of the summation you posted,to mention a few, Yoruba know themselves through salutation,family, tradition and spoken language. Do you even know how Yoruba see Igala ,Igbira and many other groups in the ancient times? And vice versa? Truthfully you would not like it. It is basically not about boastsufulness but reality.
Secondly ,you blundered about the comaprison between Britain's royal home and Nigeria because even among the royal homes of England,they know who is who among their descendants, so that there wont be mix up and it has nothing to do with ethnicity. Every man of Yoruba blood has a family and each member is connected either dead or alive to his or her clan. The ancestral prayers and all what not is a testimony to this things.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by googi: 11:54pm On Aug 05, 2018
Olu317,

Whoever wants to discuss Yoruba issues with you must be prepared.

There are stories behind Ofa and Oje that uninitiated translated to six and seven. That is just for laugh. Until I read the full history.

I also thought the Yoruba saying a slave can become a king only happened in Ibadan. Can you think of other areas in Yoruba land.

Bi ase bi erun, beni ase bi omo.

It boils down to the egalitarian culture of Yoruba. Yet, they also have this class structure along ruling house and professions.

While at this, why is Oduduwa, Adimu or Adumu common among Ijaw, West Africans, Diaspora and Yoruba?

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Olu317(m): 6:59am On Aug 06, 2018
googi, do not prepare for me bro because I have no intention or energy to knock off your opinion or people's but to clearly exchange knowledge grin . In as much as I know some of these things,I feel it is okay to share on such information and you do vice versa.
Ibadan that you and I see today was not respected by neighbouring Yorubas because of her historical foundation in the ancient time. The overloring was the reason war broke out. Princes crowns were madly adored,honoured, and worshiped in yorubaland , which Ibadan didn't have but were bunch of military expertise(hunters and warriors) princes,slaves etc that settled down gradually before Oyo collapsed around 1817 or thereabout. Infact, prince Lagelu that would have given ibadan a well outstanding status was killed when there were allegation by different Yoruba families . So, bì a sè bì érù nì à bì òmò predated Ibadan even if such was made popular by this historical city in Yoruba land. This proverb gave credence to the looked down upon descendants of royal or noble blood,whose mother were slaves. The proverb basically gave a nod to inhuman maltreatment of some people in Yoruba land. Take for instance, Ajaka and Ajaokuta who were of different mothers. I am sure you remember Ajaokuta's mother was Nupe(Tapa),who saved his older half brother from the grip of Owu, their supposedly cousin from being molested. And Ajaokuta was made the king at the detriment of Ajaka,who was the king before the later king. This happened when Owu misbehaved and captured him. Clearly, if Ajaka was taken to Owu,he would have been allowed as a prince and his descendants looked upon as weakling. So there were war captives of non yoruba families as well of noble homes and some are spared while their daughters were got married to,by the kings, the captors or their descendants. At times,such male descendants will definitely have problem, when aspiring for some higher position that he ought be given. Unless, he was humble or fiercely or defended his father's town against even his mother side if need be at one time or the other,which can give rise to support of such man. This is the reason you hear at times,Yoruba will use an adage as thus, ‘ Tì un bà nì Àdè gùn tàbì Àdè o gùn.........'.This alone is self explanatory of Yoruba's ways of reasoning. Despite,the death of Àfonjà in the hands of Ilorin Jamah-Jihadists, I am sure you know the story of Afonja's son that reigned as bàlé Ibadan at one time or the other,contrary to the popular title of olubadan.
What I know is that Yorubas keep record of events orally and do have deep knowledge about worldview because they were too unique as a people.They were sensitive and guided against exposing some of their ancient knowledge to the world.
When I read Ijaw's claim about Adamu,Adumu, I laugh at it seriously . It is not because Yoruba can't be related to these people but some of them cunningly try to use or associate the name through political connection for their association to Yoruba. Funny enough, the pattern of his name is associated to ‘Là' or ‘ìà'- which is a noble-royal name, that isn't in their lexicons .The man's way of worshipping God was different from them. Names associated to God by the man and his group were different. Names associated to deities were different. Beside, the man was a bloody King-warrior priest grin whose fame grew larger than life. The same way his descendants name were different .Such names as Orangun, oranyan,Onìpopo,Alaketu, Owù,onìsàbé ,Òwà etc aren't in their lexicon.Does ‘Gùn' exist in their lexicons ? If it does,what does it mean? Have you for once bother to verify names of Yoruba ancestors among these people? Kindly do.If not for some challenges, I would have listed close to 500 strange words used daily in Yoruba land that doesn't exist in Nigeria or west Africa lexicon and if such words in nature, the meaning are different outrightly but I will list 35 of some Yoruba words. One word, can mean three or more different things in Yoruba land. Do such words exist in these people's lexicon? Not sure about it.
On egalitarian, I doubt the equity even if it exist on a leverage. Yoruba people are too traditional! Trust me , they can refer to one's ancestors history through migration to their own abode,if they see such descendants or individual as too powerful to control. Yoruba are like the two force that control the world ;the negative and the positive. The way one operates in them determine how far one goes.

Here are some strange Yoruba words without accent but when it has accent, pronunciation changes.

bo:come back
bo:remove
bo:worship

bi:ask
bi:vomit
bi:birth

lo:go
lo:swallow
lo:make use of
lo:silent or calm

Ooni: today
Ooni: owner
Ooni:crocodile

ra: buy
ra:rot
ra:get hold
ra:crawl

odo: mutter
odo:zero
odo:river
odo:valley

Owu:germinate
Owu:thread
Owu: someone to uproot
Owu:desire,like

gbo:bark
gbo:squeaze out
gbo:hear
gbo:old
gbo: worn

da:betray
da:create
da:good,beautiful
da: stray,wandering
da: throw away

Cheers
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by googi: 2:58pm On Aug 06, 2018
Olu, I give up.

You are too much for me. I may have met you in one of those conferences.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by geosegun(m): 2:59pm On Aug 06, 2018
@Olu317

Mind you, all founding fathers of new Yoruba settlement ,mostly take along IFA priests,hunters, warriors and other priests of differnent ancestors of theirs to the new found lands,which direction were mostly based on IFA direction.

Your statement above is 100% facts. i doff my cap

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Olu317(m): 4:43pm On Aug 06, 2018
geosegun:
@Olu317

Mind you, all founding fathers of new Yoruba settlement ,mostly take along IFA priests,hunters, warriors and other priests of differnent ancestors of theirs to the new found lands,which direction were mostly based on IFA direction.

Your statement above is 100% facts. i doff my cap
With humility do I doff my cap to you too for the acknowledgement.

Much respect

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by SlayerForever: 7:24pm On Aug 06, 2018
PhysicsQED:

I should have written "exactly like the Yoruba compass directions". I already gave you my interpretation in that thread of why these names really refer to the names of the directions of the "four corners of the earth", and I'm not going to rehash that long drawn out argument here again, but it should suffice to say that claiming that they took three days from Igbo market days and then suddenly decided to take one day from Yoruba compass directions is absurd and it's far more likely that the correspondence between the four Yoruba compass directions and the four Igala weekdays is not accidental. That three of the Yoruba compass directions, three of the Igala weekdays, and three of the Igbo/Bini weekdays correspond makes sense in light of the interpretation of these names as direction names for the world corners, but not when interpreted with respect to spirits/deities, since the Yoruba compass directions names and the four Yoruba deities at/from those corners are entirely distinct.

As for Nri & Idah, if you google even harder, you might also come across a certain article on jstor where M.D.W (Mervyn David Waldegrave) Jeffreys was given the impression that Nri ("Ndri"wink was a non-Igbo group that moved in and mixed with the Igbos and that Nri had  strong Igala links. We shouldn't take every single claim from these colonial observers  or ethnographers as gospel, but should study what makes sense and discard what doesn't. That they were there and spoke to people first hand and observed things first hand does not always mean that they interpreted what they saw correctly. The Igala traditions collected from J.S. Boston and A.J. Shelton do not suggest the kind of relationship between Igala and Igbo that the Nri story you mentioned suggests, although the achadu (the leader of the Igala Mela) was indeed of Igbo (and therefore, possibly Nri) origin. If one views the Igala Mela as the "founders" or first settlers of the kingdom, rather than the royal family itself (which may have "Benin" or "Yoruba" origins, or "Jukun" origins, according to some stories, or it may be of indigenous Igala origin) then one can make such an argument for Idah being "founded" by someone from Nri. Otherwise, the claim doesn't really make sense and [s]the Igalas have nothing suggesting Igbo origins for their kingdom.[/s] The Igala word for king is Onu (not Attah, which is a specific title). One of the Yoruba titles for a king is Oni. There are many other Yoruba-Igala links besides that.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Olu317(m): 8:39am On Aug 07, 2018
googi:
Olu, I give up.

You are too much for me. I may have met you in one of those conferences.
googi, I am not too much for you bro. We are exchanging knowledge about our wonderfully bless Race known today as Yoruba nation. Hopefully we shall all meet one day by the grace of God.
God bless Yoruba nation and the world .

Respect to you sir.

Regards
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Olu317(m): 9:12am On Aug 07, 2018
There is no crime if Yoruba group are related to Yorubas,just as the world is also interwoven. The attah of Igala,even attest to Yoruba migrants that are within his enclave via marriage, migration or conquest. But historically Yoruba are different from Igala.Yoruba leader-founder of new settlement is the pivotal connection that's needed to affirm if Igala was Yoruba land or not. As it is, Igala aren't Yorubas.
There is a difference between the meaning of : Onu and Ooni

(Igala)Onu: king
Yoruba: Or-ni- O'oni- Ooni: owner

This simply show that there is a difference between Ooni and Onu
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by lawani: 12:38pm On Aug 07, 2018
Olu317:
There is no crime if Yoruba group are related to Yorubas,just as the world is also interwoven. The attah of Igala,even attest to Yoruba migrants that are within his enclave via marriage, migration or conquest. But historically Yoruba are different from Igala.Yoruba leader-founder of new settlement is the pivotal connection that's needed to affirm if Igala was Yoruba land or not. As it is, Igala aren't Yorubas.
Contrary to the meaning of : Onu

(Igala)Onu: king
Yoruba: Or-ni- O'oni- Ooni: owner
The Yoruba equivalent of Onu is Olu not Ooni. Ooni means Omo Oluwo ni

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Olu317(m): 12:59pm On Aug 07, 2018
lawani:

The Yoruba equivalent of Onu is Olu not Ooni. Ooni means Omo Oluwo ni
I beg you pardon! You are wrong. Did you you care to read the reason I responded to the difference between Onu and Ooni ?
Apart from that, your opinion gotten/got from Samuel Ajayi's Crowther book is a bloody lie. Ooni means ‘owner'. I cant imagine you too can fall for such nonexisting theory created by Samuel Ajayi crowther as a contraction for Ooni? What's Omo Oluwo ni? Kì O nì ? Tà nì Olùwo nà?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by lawani: 12:59pm On Aug 07, 2018
Olu317:

My brother, I am a Yoruba man as you are and I am sure you and I know the manner at which our ancestors married different group of people,even amongst Tapa people. I didnt loose foresight of this but we must not ignore the truth because, we are on social media.Tapa were and are people that tormented Yorubas before we subdued their prowess within ancient Yoruba enclaves . And these people are partly spread from Niger, Kaduna, Plateau,Abuja, kwara through Bénin Republic etc . These People were the Borgu- Nupe people. And I have
read about the claim by professor Ade Obayomi.But Let me quickly say this that,there were many wars fought by Yorubas against many sorrounding /neighbouring groups,which some were lost and many were won by Yorubas. And during each conquest by Yorubas,they capture the conquered and took along slaves and dieties worshipped by these conquered people,which testify to different deities in Yoruba land.
Have you had an encounter with a real Tapa person ? I mean undilluted breed . If yes, can you hear his or her language? I asked this because I have come across Tapas and their real language is not intelligible to Yorubas,apart from the ones that have been infiltrated by Yorubas in Kwara. Furthermore, the proverb only indicated the reality on the ground about difference in people's way of life and traditions. And for you to think, it is a Lagos proverb,then I guess you missed the point. Arent the people that made such proverb Yorubas? I am sure you will realise that, such statement must have been because of a fracas between some yorubas and Tapas. Else such will not exist in Yoruba proverb. If you claim otherwise, Do you know Borgu was the name Nupe gave or called Pharaoh. This name got stock to some Nupe breed.The Arabs writers called Pharaoh as Barkou and the Coptic Christians called him Barkhou( Folorunso 2003: 78).How come this name is not in Yoruba lexicon? Again, do you remember this proverb,‘ è yì tì o wà lé èyìn éfà o jù ojè ló ?' Clearly,it meant a town known as Éfà existed at one time or the other. And éfà was a town that wasnt of Yoruba origin ,but were people that once lived around Yoruba people with mystique which was not far from Òffà And migrated through Edo as pioneer aborigines of Edoland. Apart from the proverb ,everything connecting Yoruba to Éfà have been sealed up and thrown into dungeon. And the other account to these people as being conquered , annihilated , assimilated and some migrated to only God know territories without traces or change of identity. Their ancient abode don't exist anymore in the òffà axis. What about another proverb as thus,‘ à fì ènì pè'nì à fì èyàn pè'yàn tì o mù àrà' oko sàn bànté wólù?' Who was the àrà oko if not uncultured and uncivilized stranger from neighbouring town? Proverb among Yoruba is a reflection of their past events that had shaped their present.And the present will shape the future. Do you know there are numerous word of Yorubas that arent found in west Africa's lexions? The point is that there are too many unrealistic information I find on NL that does not reflect the truth about Nigeria's different ethnic groups. Facts are their that support that Tapa aren't Yorubas in the same way Gambari or Hausas aren't Yorubas.

Dig deeper and you will see more than meet the eye.

What do you mean by Borgu Nupe people. Borgu is different from Nupe. Borgu is called Bariba by the Yoruba while Nupe is called Tapa

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / Coronavirus: Umar Farouk, Emir Of Daura Rushed To Intensive Care Unit / Adedamola Aderemi, Late Ooni Of Ife’s Grandson Tipped To Become King (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.