Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,604 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. (70349 Views)

The Edos And The Rains / The Edos / The Edos & The Children Of Israel - Born Of The Same Father! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 5:38pm On Feb 04, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe:

lwkmd! grin una no go kill person 4 nairaland. All, i know is wen the time comes for everybody to answer their fathers name the igbo speaking edo are off with asaba. The rest can go where ever they are comfortable.

OP[b], Edo and yorubas cultural similarities starts and finish with juju/agbero and even that is an African thing.[/b]

How can you say that ? eh my wife

anyway send me you email lets chat and live this NL mumu people kiss kiss kiss cool
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by karlmax2: 5:49pm On Feb 04, 2012
alj harem:
Quote from: Bliss4Lyfe on Today at 05:35:15 PM

lwkmd! una no go kill person 4 nairaland. All, i know is wen the time comes for everybody to answer their fathers name the igbo speaking edo are off with asaba. The rest can go where ever they are comfortable.

OP, Edo and yorubas cultural similarities starts and finish with juju/agbero and even that is an African thing.

How can you say that ? eh my wife

anyway send me you email lets chat and live this NL mumu people

So Ʊ can use ur uncircumcized thing kill the beautiful igbo girl Ʊ like better thing but ur aboki gal cover their body
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 5:58pm On Feb 04, 2012
karl max:

So Ʊ can use ur uncircumcized thing kill the beautiful igbo girl Ʊ like better thing but ur aboki gal cover their body

Haba, I like bliss4lfy character. I just feel that she is real. that is all. I just want to meet the person behind that unquestionable character called bliss4lyfe
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by FASTLINK1: 6:11pm On Feb 04, 2012
Hmm!
Methinks Edo is the product of the marriage between an Igbo man and a Yoruba woman.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Obiagu1(m): 6:16pm On Feb 04, 2012
afam4eva:

I think I'll subscribe to edogirl's position. I'll also like to add that the link between edos and Yorubas is more of a political one than cultural. They tend to tow the same part as the Yorubas because of their history politically. But I'll say that edos, just like any ND group seem to flow with everyday Igbos than they do Yorubas. Except the ones that have been alculturated.

The political link between the Yoruba and Bini started with the creation of East and West when Southern Nigeria was divided along River Niger.
In 1963, they said enough was enough and the result is clear on the referendum.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/618690_Midwest_gifc8ab793912f73fbfd315c809824d9a07
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 6:17pm On Feb 04, 2012
FAST-LINK:

Hmm!
Methinks Edo is the product of the marriage between an Igbo man and a Yoruba woman.

NO SIR IT IS NOT cool
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by dayokanu(m): 6:36pm On Feb 04, 2012
Former Edo State governor is called John Oyegun

Some Edo state names Adesua, Aiyegbeni
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by BlackPikiN(m): 6:38pm On Feb 04, 2012
jason123:

Edo is more related to yoruba, both politically and culturally! In fact, every ethnic group in the West (Old west) are culturally related.

Here goes: The Mother of the Oba of Benin is called Iyoba. Their western counter part is Iyoba. They both bear Oba as king.
Also, going by the Oba of Bini's story, Oduduwa's son was from a Yoruba mother. He was called Oranmiyan (a Yoruba name) and he also produced Eweka who rule the Bini kingdom.

Some historians say, both Yoruba Obas and the Bini Oba's heads are buried in Ile-ife after they are dead!
In conclusion, a Bini prince ruled the Yorubas, a Yoruba prince ruled the Bini.

They both produced the Itsekiris and the Uhrobos directly branched out from them. Uhrobos and Itsekiris intermarry A LOT!
Dele Giwa was Edo. Enahoro (NADECO LEADER) was Edo. . . .
Very well said!

You no get sense again lailai!
So there were no igbo man in Nadeco. An Igboman had to resign his appointment because of June 12? You want make I mention his name.

Sometimes, I dey feel say you mischievous.

You know the community in Edo that is attached to the igbo right?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Afam4eva(m): 6:48pm On Feb 04, 2012
@dayokanu
Those names are typical Bini names. They just kinda sound yoruba but they don't mean anything in Yoruba. Can you please tell me what those names mean?

@topic
We have to also understand that edo is the name of a state and not an ethnic group. That state is made up of Igbos, bini, esan etc.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 6:49pm On Feb 04, 2012
afam4eva:

@dayokanu
Those names are typical Bini names. They just kinda sound yoruba but they don't mean anything in Yoruba. Can you please tell me what those names mean?

dayokanu:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Obiagu1(m): 6:51pm On Feb 04, 2012
dayokanu:

Some Igbos answer Edet but they are not Ibibio.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 6:53pm On Feb 04, 2012
afam4eva:

@dayokanu

@topic
We have to also understand that edo is the name of a state and not an ethnic group. That state is made up of Igbos, bini, esan etc.

hmmm there are no igbo in edo

Infact Bini (similar to yoruba), Esan, and Afemai(similar to yoruba)

http://www.edoworld.net/Edo_people.html
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 6:54pm On Feb 04, 2012
Obiagu1:

Some Igbos answer Edet but they are not Ibibio.

But he did not say edo people bearing yoruba names are yorubas

He just say they bear some yoruba names
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by dayokanu(m): 6:56pm On Feb 04, 2012
afam4eva:

@dayokanu

You dont understand Yoruba so you cant say those names dont mean anything in Yoruba

Oyegun is a very popular Yoruba name - Oye means Chieftancy Gun means "in order"

Aiyegbeni in Yoruba means The world favours us

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Afam4eva(m): 7:01pm On Feb 04, 2012
@al_harem
Igbanke(Ika) is an Igbo group in edo state. Please name one yoruba group in edo state?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by dayokanu(m): 7:05pm On Feb 04, 2012
Is Akoko Edo not in Edo state?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 7:08pm On Feb 04, 2012
afam4eva:

@al_harem
Igbanke(Ika) is an Igbo group in edo state. Please name one yoruba group in edo state?

Akoko people are yorubiod

Bini people also

Uzen people (not sure of the spelling)

I can keep going
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by dayokanu(m): 7:14pm On Feb 04, 2012
Afam,

What is your next theory you want to bring out.

2 of them have been blown out in 10mins
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by GAR3TH(m): 7:20pm On Feb 04, 2012
afam4eva:

@topic

Its a bit confusing but there are Edo(bini) ethnic group, Edo (state) and Edo (people/speaking groups). The first two are simple to define but the last one, edo people/speaking groups, are people who have cultural, linguistic, ancestral or biological links to the original benin empire. So people who are considered edo(bini) people can be found in other states and speak different language variations, for example the Urhobos in delta can be call edo speaking people. On the other hand Igbos can live in edo state but they aren't necessarily edo (ethnic) or edo( people/speaking groups)
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Afam4eva(m): 7:23pm On Feb 04, 2012
Bini is yoruboid? Make dem hear am for your mouth. There's no single yoruba group in edo state. What you have are groups that use some yoruba words. But there's a totally Igbo group in edo state called Igbake.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Obiagu1(m): 7:28pm On Feb 04, 2012
afam4eva:

Bini is yoruboid? Make dem hear am for your mouth. There's no single yoruba group in edo state. What you have are groups that use some yoruba words. But there's a totally Igbo group in edo state called Igbake.

It's not really about having a group in Edo State. It's about the blatant lie that "Edo is our brother" they keep propagating.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 7:30pm On Feb 04, 2012
Obiagu1:

It's not really about having a group in Edo State. It's about the blatant lie that "Edo is our brother" they keep propagating.
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked why can't edo be their brother shocked shocked shocked shocked do you have a problem with that ?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by dayokanu(m): 7:33pm On Feb 04, 2012
afam4eva:

have you heard of a group called Akoko-Edo?

Where is Honorable Tunde Akogun from? Isnt he a rep for Edo state?

Have you heard of this prominent Nigerian before? Justice Ephraim Omorose Ibukun Akpata

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by efisher(m): 7:34pm On Feb 04, 2012
BTW, What's with this sudden fascination over Edos? Everybody wants to be their "brother" by force. Or is this one of the results of Oshiomhole's good work? I tire o!
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by tpia5: 7:36pm On Feb 04, 2012
efisher:

BTW, What's with this sudden fascination over Edos? Everybody wants to be their "brother" by force.

i wonder.

@ topic

is there a problem?

why the fight.

If edos are closer to hausa, igbo, nupe, ijaws, yorubas, portuguese, oyibos in general, whatever, who cares?

save the drama for una yahoo associates.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Obiagu1(m): 7:39pm On Feb 04, 2012
efisher:

BTW, What's with this sudden fascination over Edos? Everybody wants to be their "brother" by force. Or is this one of the results of Oshiomhole's good work? I tire o!

It is because of the never ending propaganda by the SW to isolate Edo from the SS.

The record has to be set straight. Yoruba has no connection with Edo.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by tpia5: 7:40pm On Feb 04, 2012
akoko edos are not yoruba though they bear yoruba names.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by tpia5: 7:41pm On Feb 04, 2012
Obiagu1:

It is because of a never ending propaganda by the SW to isolate Edo from the SS.

liar.

why must you involve yoruba just because you're trying to suck up to edo?

who is disturbing you?

1 Like

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 7:42pm On Feb 04, 2012
Obiagu1:

It is because of a never ending propaganda by the SW to isolate Edo from the SS.

The record has to be set straight. Yoruba has no connection with Edo.

hehehehe grin grin grin grin grin grin grin  LOL Nwa Igbo

Obiagu 1 of Nairaland grin grin grin I salute you sir smiley
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Obiagu1(m): 7:42pm On Feb 04, 2012
tpia@:

akoko edos are not yoruba though they bear yoruba names.

LMAO!
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by dayokanu(m): 7:42pm On Feb 04, 2012
Igbos just wan attache by force
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by tpia5: 7:44pm On Feb 04, 2012
Obiagu1:

LMAO!

what's funny?

yes, they bear yoruba names and thus might be mistaken for yoruba by people who arent familiar with the area.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply)

Human Face In Awube Stream, Benue State (Photos) / Meet Pastor Ivie Emiko - The Wife Of New Olu Of Warri - Pictures / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.