Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,085 members, 7,811,044 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:31 PM

Spirituality Vs Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Spirituality Vs Religion (3122 Views)

Spirituality Vs Reality / The Great Debate- Is God Alive?..atheism Vs Religion / Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spirituality Vs Religion by izinbizi(m): 2:56pm On Feb 05, 2012
Are you religious or Spiritual and can you spot the difference between the two?
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by Jenwitemi(m): 7:41pm On Feb 05, 2012
The difference is vast. It is a miracle how christians mistake one for the other. There is RELIGIOSITY and there is SPIRITUALITY. The two don't mix.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by Dynamique: 10:27pm On Feb 05, 2012
Spirituality differs from religion,but i think spirituality is more profound than religion&it is a deeper way of life,spirituality is way better than religion.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by izinbizi(m): 5:18am On Feb 06, 2012
Spirituality is a faith and personal.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by Jenwitemi(m): 12:38pm On Feb 06, 2012
At least, the adherents of islam do not even try to mix the two like the christians do. The islamists "hate" spirituality.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by Jenwitemi(m): 12:41pm On Feb 06, 2012
Spirituality is not about having faith or blind belief about some entity referred to as "GOD", but mainly about having knowledge, the innermost knowedge of oneself at the deepest level. Another important difference is that it is very possible to politicize religiosity(which is needed for religion to remain relevant for a meaningful length of time), but spirituality can never be politicized.
izi-n-bizi:

Spirituality is a faith and personal.

1 Like

Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by izinbizi(m): 1:41pm On Feb 06, 2012
@Jenwitemi,
There is nothing like having faith in Spirituality, this idea reduces Faith to mere mental works and I did not state that Spirituality is about having faith. I clearly stated that Spirituality is a Faith. If you understand the meaning of Faith you will know that Faith is a personal belief, knowledge, philosophy, conviction on which the soul thrives - I quote your definition of Spirituality "having knowledge, innermost knowledge of oneself (sic) at the deepest level" I suppose you can now relate both. Faith sustains the soul and without it, the soul is unstable, lacking and distressed. Soul perpetually longs for faith. Faith is completely individualistic and cannot be shared as practised in Religion and your level of Faith is directly proportional to your Spirituality. A carnal soul lacks faith and lives in the grip and bondage of fear. You cannot have faith outside Spirituality, Faith is the Consequence of Spirituality and not Religion.

You are right about politicizing religion, truly Spirituality can not be politcized and Spirituality does not discuss the Religious concept of "GOD".
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by emofine2(f): 2:52pm On Feb 06, 2012
Jenwitemi:

Spirituality is not about having faith or blind belief about some entity referred to as "GOD", but mainly about having knowledge, the innermost knowedge of oneself at the deepest level. Another important difference is that it is very possible to politicize religiosity(which is needed for religion to remain relevant for a meaningful length of time), but spirituality can never be politicized.

izi-n-bizi:

@Jenwitemi,
There is nothing like having faith in Spirituality, this idea reduces Faith to mere mental works and I did not state that Spirituality is about having faith. I clearly stated that Spirituality is a Faith. If you understand the meaning of Faith you will know that Faith is a personal belief, knowledge, philosophy, conviction on which the soul thrives - I quote your definition of Spirituality "having knowledge, innermost knowledge of oneself (sic) at the deepest level" I suppose you can now relate both. Faith sustains the soul and without it, the soul is unstable, lacking and distressed. Soul perpetually longs for faith. Faith is completely individualistic and cannot be shared as practised in Religion and your level of Faith is directly proportional to your Spirituality. A carnal soul lacks faith and lives in the grip and bondage of fear. You cannot have faith outside Spirituality, Faith is the Consequence of Spirituality and not Religion.

You are right about politicizing religion, truly Spirituality can not be politcized and Spirituality does not discuss the Religious concept of "GOD".

Intriguing.

You cannot have faith outside Spirituality, Faith is the Consequence of Spirituality and not Religion.

Reminds me of a question I asked a while ago on Nairaland.

Does one need religion in order to exercise faith in God?
Does religion carve out faith?

Spirituality is. . .mainly about having knowledge, the innermost knowedge of oneself at the deepest level.

Reminds me of a quote: - “Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power.”

The islamists "hate" spirituality.

Really?
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by Lasinoh: 4:05pm On Feb 06, 2012
Definitely spiritual. kiss
If spirituality comes with anyone practicing any religion. . . it is a stroke of luck.
Meaning? That person was born with it. . . not because he or she practices a given religion.
You cannot put religion and spirituality in the same sentence.
Very discordant.

Look at the life of ANY Christian? Do you see ANY spirituality? Only noise coming out of his or her mouths.
If your lifestyle does not reflect your beliefs. . . then, there is nothing spiritual about your life. YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE!!! kiss
Religion is all about hypocrisy!

I never met anyone who practices a religion and exhibiting spirituality at the same time. They lack individuality and are often 'parrots' of pirated scripts. . .aka reliigion.

Religion is a learned way of thinking. . . spirituality is an individualized mode of thinking.
Religion lacks originality and creativity. . . spirituallity celebrates both. cool

Boy! I love philosophical topics! kiss
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by Jenwitemi(m): 5:40pm On Feb 06, 2012
Religion gives you a set of rules to dictate to you how and who you should be. Spirituality, on the other hand, gives you a set of tools to help you find out (for yourself) who you truly are. Massive difference.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by Jenwitemi(m): 5:44pm On Feb 06, 2012
Religion teaches you how necessary it is to have fear. Spirituality shows you how important it is to discard fear.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by Jenwitemi(m): 5:45pm On Feb 06, 2012
Spirituality teaches you how to celebrate life. Religion teaches you how to worship death.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by Jenwitemi(m): 7:08pm On Feb 06, 2012
Faith is only important in starting the spiritual journey. You need to have faith that it is even worthwhile to start that journey to begin with. You even need to have faith to be a scientist. Blind faith is what has no relevance and use in spirituality. Blind faith equals religious faith and that is not what i was talking about.
izi-n-bizi:

@Jenwitemi,

Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by PastorAIO: 8:15pm On Feb 06, 2012
This whole topic depends on what you mean by spirituality and religion. I fear that I am beginning to sound like a broken record but I cannot reiterate enough that at the very start of a discussion like this you have to define your terms. Almost every thread I have to ask, 'what do you mean by such and such a word'? and people probably think I'm being unnecessarily difficult.

Before asking us whether we can spot the difference between the two, the OP should first tell us what he/she means by the 2 words.

For me Religion means: A binding together, a reconciliation of the fractured parts of something that was once whole. Re-Ligere. To bind back.
If man feels himself disconnected from his creator then religion is the process of binding back. If a man feels himself disconnected from society and the environment then religion is the practice that will bring about a reconnection.

There are 2 basic approaches to religion. 1) The ritual and 2) The Ethical.

Let me give an example from judaeo-christian tradition. 1) If you sin then you can kill a cow and offer it to God for the forgiveness of your sins.

Note that in this first example there is no need for the practitioner to change his conduct, as long as he knows how to prepare the ritual effectively.

2) The sinner has to change certain behavioural traits. This is the Ethical. When his behaviour changes it effects a reconciliation with the diety. There is no mention of needing to do any rituals.

For me Spirituality means: That there is an aspect of man and a world which is different from the physical. Awareness of these aspects is spirituality. One can be divorced from one's spiritual aspects in which case religion is needed in order to reestablish the connection.

I can bet my bottom dollar that if we probe each and every contributor to this thread so far that we'll find that each one understands something different from the others when they use the words spirituality and religion, even to the point that 2 people that think they are in agreement with each other will find that they are so radically at odds with each other.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by InesQor(m): 8:31pm On Feb 06, 2012
I believe religion is an endeavour to interact with one's spirituality, so the OP doesn't make much sense to me.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by Jenwitemi(m): 8:48pm On Feb 06, 2012
That may be what the original intention of religion might have been, inesqor, but which it is NOT. Today, there is no iota of spirituality in religion.
InesQor:

I believe religion is an endeavour to interact with one's spirituality, so the OP doesn't make much sense to me.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by InesQor(m): 8:53pm On Feb 06, 2012
Jenwitemi:

That may be what the original intention of religion might have been, inesqor, but which it is NOT. Today, there is no iota of spirituality in religion.

Does any entity cease to be called by its name even if it degrades?

Whatever people are doing in the name of religion does not take away from the fact that religion in general, whatever religion, is [i]designed [/i]to connect to one's spirituality.

True, there are corruptions and pollutions due to greed and insensitivity and personal ambitions, but the true purpose of religion stays the same. 

So by your token, this question:
izi-n-bizi:

is [b]only [/b]valid if the OP assumes already that being religious, we are necessarily practising a [i]corrupt [/i]form of religion.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by izinbizi(m): 9:20pm On Feb 06, 2012
Jenwitemi:

Faith is only important in starting the spiritual journey. You need to have faith that it is even worthwhile to start that journey to begin with. You even need to have faith to be a scientist. Blind faith is what has no relevance and use in spirituality. Blind faith equals religious faith and that is not what i was talking about.

I have not studied on blind and non-blind faith and do not know of it, but I know you either have Faith or fear. The "faith" that a chair will not fail you when you sit on it is based on your assessment of the strenght of its material. This is certain to fail when there is no material basis for assessment or judgement. This is not faith, Faith is a Spiritual concept. In Sprituality you are conscious and aware of immateriality and as a result, your judgement and assessments of all things are beyond physicality. This higher (Spiritual) assessment gives you a limitless scope/perception such that impossibilties as defined by mortality is non existent. This is Faith, thus Spirituality births Faith and not vice versa. Faith is a consequence of Spirituality. With what material faith do you commence the Pursuit of Spirituality
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by izinbizi(m): 9:41pm On Feb 06, 2012
InesQor:

Whatever people are doing in the name of religion does not take away from the fact that religion in general, whatever religion, is [i]designed [/i]to connect to one's spirituality.

True, there are corruptions and pollutions due to greed and insensitivity and personal ambitions, but the true purpose of religion stays the same. 

So by your token, this question: is [b]only [/b]valid if the OP assumes already that being religious, we are necessarily practising a [i]corrupt [/i]form of religion.

Religion and Spirituality are at variance, parrallel to another. Yes you may argue correctly that Religion heralded Spirituality and as such ought not be condemned but the End of whatever Religion is obvious and inevitable. Spirituality is not a degenerate form of Religion as you proposed, neither does it seek a way to "GOD" and further you misunderstand Spirituality by stating "Religion is designed to connect to one's to Spirituality" this statement is incorrect - Who designed the religion? whatever is designed by one cannot be practised by another as Spirituality. Spirituality is concieved, developed, designed and practised individually. The purpose of Religion approaches expiration and its end is near.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by InesQor(m): 9:49pm On Feb 06, 2012
izi-n-bizi:

Religion and Spirituality are at variance, parrallel to another.
Okay only if you clearly define the terms and prove your claim.

izi-n-bizi:

Yes you may argue correctly that Religion heralded Spirituality and as such ought not be condemned
I never mentioned anything about condemnation or the heralding of spirituality, you are reading words into my responses. Please drop all your preconceived notions (about whatever you think I may believe) before you read my responses.

izi-n-bizi:

but the End of whatever Religion is obvious and inevitable. Spirituality is not a degenerate form of Religion as you proposed
WHAT? Where did I say spirituality is a degenerate form of religion? Your method of deduction is rather alarming.

izi-n-bizi:

, neither does it seek a way to "GOD"
I didn't even mention "God" because not all religions worship a God or gods.

izi-n-bizi:

and further you misunderstand Spirituality by stating "Religion is designed to connect to one's to Spirituality"
If I misunderstand Spirituality in your opinion, kindly define religion and spirituality. Pastor AIO asked you the same but I see you seem to have skipped his post.

izi-n-bizi:

this statement is incorrect - Who designed the religion? whatever is designed by one cannot be practised by another as Spirituality.
I hope you do understand that by "designed", what I mean is that THAT is its purpose?

izi-n-bizi:

Spirituality is concieved, developed, designed and practised individually.
You need to define spirituality, then I will return to this.

izi-n-bizi:

The purpose of Religion approaches expiration and its end is near.
You need to define religion, then I will return to this. In the mean time, I will say, "Maybe. Maybe not".
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by InesQor(m): 9:52pm On Feb 06, 2012
@izi-n-bizi

Just so you know, my post that you responded to, was a response to Jenwitemi's post immediately before it.

My OWN response to your thread is still:

InesQor:

Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by izinbizi(m): 10:52pm On Feb 06, 2012
Pastor AIO:

This whole topic depends on what you  mean by spirituality and religion.  I fear that I am beginning to sound like a broken record but I cannot reiterate enough that at the  very start of a discussion like this you have to define your terms.  Almost every thread I have to ask, 'what do you mean by such and such a word'?  and people probably think I'm being unnecessarily difficult.  

Before asking us whether we can spot the difference between the two, the OP should first tell us what he/she means by the 2 words.

For me Religion means:  A binding together, a reconciliation of the fractured parts of something that was once whole.  Re-Ligere.  To bind back.  
If man feels himself disconnected from his creator then religion is the process of binding back.  If a man feels himself disconnected from society and the environment then religion is the practice that will bring about a reconnection.  

There are 2 basic approaches to religion.  1) The ritual and 2) The Ethical.

Let me give an example from judaeo-christian tradition.   1) If you sin then you can kill a cow and offer it to God for the forgiveness of your sins.

Note that in this first example there is no need for the practitioner to change his conduct, as long as he knows how to prepare the ritual effectively.

2) The sinner has to change certain behavioural traits.  This is the Ethical.  When his behaviour changes it effects a reconciliation with the diety.  There is no mention of needing to do any rituals.

For me Spirituality means:  That there is an aspect of man and a world which is different from the physical.  Awareness of these aspects is spirituality.  One can be divorced from one's spiritual aspects in which case religion is needed in order to reestablish the connection.  

I can bet my bottom dollar that if we probe each and every contributor to this thread so far that we'll find that each one understands something different from the others when they use the words spirituality and religion, even to the point that 2 people that think they are in agreement with each other will find that they are so radically at odds with each other.  

Thanks for contributing but the intention of the thread is for participants to discuss their understanding of Religion and Spirituality and to distinguish between both if they consider them different. You are to discuss your understanding, why and how you draw your conclusions. It is open just as you have stated your perception. You are welcome to the discussion table.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by PastorAIO: 11:26pm On Feb 06, 2012
izi-n-bizi:

Thanks for contributing but the intention of the thread is for participants to discuss their understanding of Religion and Spirituality and to distinguish between both if they consider them different. You are to discuss your understanding, why and how you draw your conclusions. It is open just as you have stated your perception. You are welcome to the discussion table.  

Yes, I am with you. And in fact all I'm asking of you is that you explain your "understanding of Religion and Spirituality and to distinguish between both if they consider them different".

I have discussed my understanding, my how and why I drew my conclusions. All I'm asking of you is that you do the same. What do you mean by religion? You seem to have some inaccurate ideas of religion. For instance, Inesqor had to correct you above that not every religion is theistic. Buddhism does not worship any Gods.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by tbaba1234: 3:21am On Feb 07, 2012
It  is not surprising to come across uninformed views like "Adherents of islam have no spirituality', Really??

Everything a Muslim does is spirituality, From the time he wakes up till the time he goes to bed,  There is a a constant connection to the transcendent. A muslim gives up everything he/she is doing five times everyday to reconnect with the transcendent. Personally, i lose count of how many times i say a prayer everyday as a muslim even for the most mundane things. That is the muslim:

Surah 6
162. Say, “Indeed, my prayer, my rites of sacrifice, my living and my dying are for God, Lord of the worlds.
163. No partner has He. And this I have been commanded, and I am the first [among you] of the Muslims.”

In Islam. every activity can be an expression of spirituality, from smiling at the face of your brother to putting a morsel of food in the mouth of your wife. Muslims are constantly God-conscious, 24 hours a day, at work, at school, at play, Every act is an expression of spirituality.

It is a dynamic expression of spirituality that is quite frankly unmatched by any religious ideology.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by Horus(m): 3:40am On Feb 07, 2012
izi-n-bizi:

Religion is the banana skin and spirituality is the banana. The misery in the world is because religious people throw away the banana and are holding on to the skin.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by izinbizi(m): 5:31am On Feb 07, 2012
InesQor:

Your assumption above is incoherent

1. I will give you related academic definitions if you insist:   @Pastor AIO who wants a definition this may also be useful to you.

Religion: People's beliefs and opinions concerning the existence, nature, and worship of a deity or deities, and its divine involvement in the universe and human life.

Spirituality: Spirituality can refer to an ultimate or an alleged immaterial reality; an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of his/her being.

@ InesQor :Please challenge my conclusion with an exhaustive academic analysis of the above definitions.
@ Pastor AIO: You can observe now how Buddhism tends more to a Philosophy and a Spiritual pursuit than a Religion. Other inclusions into Buddhism, unlike those taught by Buddha introduce a level of Religion into Buddhism but the pure teachings of Siddhartha Gautama is a call to Spirituality in its own light.

InesQor:

Yes you may argue correctly that Religion heralded Spirituality and as such ought not be condemned
I never mentioned anything about condemnation or the heralding of spirituality, you are reading words into my responses.
What part of "may" dont you understand? may indicates possibility or probability, I never said you mentioned it "you may" need to get your grammar correct.

InesQor:

Your statement above assumes that Spirituality and Religion are thesame and degenerate religion does not take Spirituality away from Religion and vice versa
Once more you are incoherent on this, please study the above definitions and more on the topic before you return for a scholastic argument.

While holding unto your new understanding of "may" I still ask you who designed or developed the purpose of Religion and you "may" wish to know that the Romans and their culture have a strong influence in the design of the religion called Christianity. If the content is Spirituality and the design for the container is Religion does that make Spirituality and Religion one and same thing when you open or take off the container, you discover its content. Your analogy is similar to saying the water and the bucket are thesame

The aim of this thread is to draw attention to misconception between Religion and Spirituality. The topic is highly philosophical as pointed out @ Lasinoh.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by izinbizi(m): 5:52am On Feb 07, 2012
Horus:

Religion is the banana skin and spirituality is the banana. The misery in the world is because religious people throw away the banana and are holding on to the skin.

Religion remains a means of introducing Spirituality, Is it not base to throw the banana away and hold unto the peelings? Or do we say the peelings are of no importance? No we dont but the banana holds the nutrient and not the peelings.

Thank you Horus for that sound analogy
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by izinbizi(m): 5:59am On Feb 07, 2012
tbaba1234:

It  is not surprising to come across uninformed views like "Adherents of islam have no spirituality', Really??

Everything a Muslim does is spirituality, From the time he wakes up till the time he goes to bed,  There is a a constant connection to the transcendent. A muslim gives up everything he/she is doing five times everyday to reconnect with the transcendent. Personally, i lose count of how many times i say a prayer everyday as a muslim even for the most mundane things. That is the muslim:

Surah 6
162. Say, “Indeed, my prayer, my rites of sacrifice, my living and my dying are for God, Lord of the worlds.
163. No partner has He. And this I have been commanded, and I am the first [among you] of the Muslims.”

In Islam. every activity can be an expression of spirituality, from smiling at the face of your brother to putting a morsel of food in the mouth of your wife. Muslims are constantly God-conscious, 24 hours a day, at work, at school, at play, Every act is an expression of spirituality.

It is a dynamic expression of spirituality that is quite frankly unmatched by any religious ideology.

It is an unverified claim that Islam hates Spirituality. Islam holds a very considerable understanding of Spirituality, especially observable in its Azans and prayer times.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by emofine2(f): 9:38am On Feb 07, 2012
izi-n-bizi:

Religion remains a means of introducing Spirituality, Is it not base to throw the banana away and hold unto the peelings? Or do we say the peelings are of no importance? No we dont but the banana holds the nutrient and not the peelings. 

Thank you Horus for that sound analogy

Essentially I guess you're saying that religion has a period where it serves it's purpose and after a while it's usefulness expires otherwise it would only serve to inhibit an individuals spirituality?

By the way, what is wrong if some individuals want to pander to other like-minded individuals forming a collective? What is the bother if some persons seek religion as a platform for their own spirituality?

Who designed the religion? whatever is designed by one cannot be practised by another as Spirituality. Spirituality is concieved, developed, designed and practised individually. The purpose of Religion approaches expiration and its end is near.

hmm interesting. Many a religious folks have a mantra of putting their spirit before the flesh (of course this is by no means exclusive to a person who is religious). Thus some learn to cultivate the spirit by diminishing worldly desires. If such people (maybe not all religious people) continue to water their spirit in this way - does that not carve out a basis or even a span of a spirit life. . . hence spirituality?

Whilst I agree that spirituality is individual, what separates the collective (the religious contingent) is the test each of them will have to go through by themselves. I suppose you can liken it to a study group. A group of students (perhaps in the same field may study together as a collective, learning from each other in the process) although they all sit the exam individually. Now even though they studied as a group it does not bar the fact that each student will have to pass through an examination individually. . . now couldn't the same be accorded for the religious populace?
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by Jenwitemi(m): 10:42am On Feb 07, 2012
Religion teaches you to accept an external SAVIOR. Spirituality teaches you to BE your own savior.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by Jenwitemi(m): 10:46am On Feb 07, 2012
Religion teaches that salvation is only in the here after. Spirituality teaches salvation is in the present moment, in this experience, in this reality, in the HERE AND NOW.
Re: Spirituality Vs Religion by Jenwitemi(m): 10:49am On Feb 07, 2012
Religion teaches that God can become man to save mankind. Spirituality teaches that MAN could and should become GOD to save himself.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo's Wife(photos) / Concept Of CONSTANTS(PAINS) And VARIABLES(COMFORT). Must Read / Egypt Vs Christianity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.