Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,124 members, 7,818,370 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (139) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (811479 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ttmacoy: 3:14am On Sep 15, 2015
For those in their second year of their undergraduate degrees, SEO London is a good organization to use to secure internship with good blue chip firms in the investment banking, consulting etc sectors. Their objective is to increase the number of ethnic minorities working in the city and they work with international students etc.

You will need to go through their recruitment process 9same as if applying directly to one of the banks, but if successful they place you with one of their many partner firms around the city.

I can vouch for them as I was able to secure an investment banking internship through them back in 2007 and that led to a graduate role by the I started my final year in University.

http://www.seo-london.com/our-programmes
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:20am On Sep 15, 2015
queen47:
Hi Justwise

Just a quick question.....please, do you know if students still get the 20hours work permit.

I know i read on UKBA site that the new rule affects college students but someone told me his friend wasnt given.

Wanna know which is true really.

Those that were issued visa after the new rule, were you all given 20hours work permit?

Yes students are still allowed to work 20hrs a week during term time and full time during summer holidays. Though only university students. Not the same with college students
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by queen47: 10:14pm On Sep 15, 2015
justwise:

Yes students are still allowed to work 20hrs a week during term time and full time during summer holidays. Though only university students. Not the same with college students

Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Sep 17, 2015
Hello house,

Will anyone be in Imperial College this September?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Venerable612(m): 4:39pm On Sep 17, 2015
justwise:

Pm bro....

reli found ur response to issues here informative and insightful... kudos to u

However.. I'd appreciate ur swift response sire!
How much can i hold while travlin...(would -£500 nt b too much?

and wats d prospect of survival of a guy lyk me wu dosnt wnt tu tke any fudstuff along( i would b livin in an accomdation wit shared kitchen-8 pple) and i dnt tink i wud fancy xookin local dishes.

wats ur advise plz?

tnks a lot.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 5:50pm On Sep 17, 2015
Venerable612:

Pm bro....

and wats d prospect of survival of a guy lyk me wu dosnt wnt tu tke any fudstuff along( i would b livin in an accomdation wit shared kitchen-8 pple) and i dnt tink i wud fancy xookin local dishes.

wats ur advise plz?

tnks a lot.

You don't even need cash at all while travelling, as far as you can make your way to your destination.

Chances of survival lies in your pocket, there's a lot of food shops around. Most with delivery

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Sep 17, 2015
QS World University Rankings®
2015/16 for Top Universities.

Only 700 universities made the list.

71 UK universities feature second behind USA:

Here are they:

http://www.topuniversities.com/where-to-study/europe/united-kingdom/top-universities-uk-201516
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Venerable612(m): 7:53pm On Sep 17, 2015
spikesC:

You don't even need cash at all while travelling, as far as you can make your way to your destination.

Chances of survival lies in your pocket, there's a lot of food shops around. Most with delivery

tnx bro..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Sep 17, 2015
Just came to say hi smiley

Hope we all "dissertated" well?
Cheers
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:59pm On Sep 17, 2015
milychocs:
Just came to say hi smiley

Hope we all "dissertated" well?
Cheers

Go away grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 17, 2015
justwise:

Go away grin

Staying here!
tongue cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:05pm On Sep 17, 2015
Venerable612:

Pm bro....

wats ur advise plz?

tnks a lot.

Sorry for late reply...for some weird reasons my mention is malfunctioning..

£500 is not bad for a start.

If you can't cook and rely on take-away or eating out then you are in for a tough run...only if you have fat bank balance.

8 people in a shared accommodation? How many toilets and kitchens?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:14pm On Sep 17, 2015
milychocs:

Staying here!
tongue cheesy

We don't want comedienne here
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Sep 17, 2015
justwise:

We don't want comedienne here

I am a seriousenne joor
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:24pm On Sep 17, 2015
milychocs:

I am a seriousenne joor

grin grin grin funny

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Venerable612(m): 10:33pm On Sep 17, 2015
justwise:

Sorry for late reply...for some weird reasons my mention is malfunctioning..

£500 is not bad for a start.

If you can't cook and rely on take-away or eating out then you are in for a tough run...only if you have fat bank balance.

8 people in a shared accommodation? How many toilets and kitchens?

its a block tin i gess... personal rum. buh 4 pple tu a bathrum... nd 8 pple to a kitchen.

Buh..by ur comments i gess u r recommending i go wit som fud stuffs.

will put dat tu heart bro.

reli aprc8!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:38pm On Sep 17, 2015
Venerable612:

its a block tin i gess... personal rum. buh 4 pple tu a bathrum... nd 8 pple to a kitchen.

reli aprc8!

Oh well...good luck though
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gbemmiey: 12:17am On Sep 18, 2015
Wow, I can not remember the last time I was here!, Ma sha Allah almost a year! grin. rounding up with my dissertation cry cry. Wishing everyone the best. Mr justwise, keep up the good work. May God continue to bless you abundantly.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nnaemekaokoli: 7:57am On Sep 18, 2015
Great Job guys
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by nnaaokoli(m): 8:15am On Sep 18, 2015
Hello Guys,

Amazing comments; good help indeed...

I'ld be looking to study at ICL next month... I will deeply appreciate advise as touching fair accommodation options in areas around Imperial College as the school offered option is pretty much expensive at about 245 ppw. cry

Secondly, I know this must have been put up in the many interactions leading up to this but I will also appreciate it if the list of meal items to go along with can be put up as well; also locations in or around central london where nigerian food items and meals can be purchased at a pocket friendly price.

FInally, what do I do for transportation? I hear getting a student Oyster card is really economical? How do I go about that if so and how indeed does it work?

Thanks a whole lot...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:16am On Sep 18, 2015
Nnaemekaokoli:
Great Job guys

nnaaokoli:
Hello Guys,

Amazing comments; good help indeed...

I'ld be looking to study at ICL next month... I will deeply appreciate advise as touching fair accommodation options in areas around Imperial College as the school offered option is pretty much expensive at about 245 ppw. cry

Secondly, I know this must have been put up in the many interactions leading up to this but I will also appreciate it if the list of meal items to go along with can be put up as well; also locations in or around central london where nigerian food items and meals can be purchased at a pocket friendly price.

FInally, what do I do for transportation? I hear getting a student Oyster card is really economical? How do I go about that if so and how indeed does it work?

Thanks a whole lot...

Search for accommodation here https://www.gumtree.com/double-room-flatshare/south-west-london

You can also contact your school for list of private landlords

Though you deleted your post.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:59am On Sep 18, 2015
gbemmiey:
Wow, I can not remember the last time I was here!, Ma sha Allah almost a year! grin. rounding up with my dissertation cry cry. Wishing everyone the best. Mr justwise, keep up the good work. May God continue to bless you abundantly.

How is the dissertation going? Wishing you all the best

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 18, 2015
Venerable612:

reli aprc8!

Could you please type in English?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sawyer89: 10:19am On Sep 18, 2015
Hello guys,
I'm applying to Crandfield University for my PG. How is the school and Bedford?

I'll appreciate an indepth review of the school's academic standard, reputation, distance from London and the town's social vibe.

Regards,
Sawyer
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by scoobs: 10:32am On Sep 18, 2015
sawyer89:
Hello guys,
I'm applying to Crandfield University for my PG. How is the school and Bedforshire?

I'll appreciate an indepth review of the school's academic standard, reputation, distance from London and the town's social vibe.

Regards,
Sawyer
cranfield is not a social hub and its in the middle of no where ..its a top rated school especially for management courses....Bedfordshire had issues with their license but it has been resolved. By all means you can apply to a better school close to London like Reading, Kent, oxford or oxford brookes Hertfordshire
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by guiddoti: 9:39pm On Sep 18, 2015
Venerable612:

reli aprc8!
oboy yu go try well.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:04am On Sep 19, 2015
@all, thanks for the great job being done here, this forum has helped a lot of people in one way or the other, I got to the UK lastweek, (Heriot-Watt university), I started lectures this Monday, and it's not easy just this few days, am doing 4 courses this semester as an MSc , I was surprised when I got to know there won't be exams for 3 courses, as Assessment is 100% coursework, which I prefer exams, I need advice on how to get good grades and which one is more likely to get A in btw the coursework and exams? And advice on getting a part time jobs, will part time jobs in Semester 1 not affecting the chances of getting good grades?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Venerable612(m): 5:12am On Sep 19, 2015
guiddoti:
oboy yu go try well.

Smiles ... Na so oo.
Thats what you get for accomodation budgeting!
I be lagos guy naa.. I go survive am!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bidosko(m): 5:44am On Sep 19, 2015
Hello guys, I am currently in cardiff city still trying to familiarise with the environment and adjust my schedules. But this my neighbours in the building opposite my flat I wonder when they go to bed, always chatting,partying all night.... hehehe. Any new food to try out and how to prepare them? grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:29am On Sep 19, 2015
qstomiwa:
@all, thanks for the great job being done here, this forum has helped a lot of people in one way or the other, I got to the UK lastweek, (Heriot-Watt university), I started lectures this Monday, and it's not easy just this few days, am doing 4 courses this semester as an MSc , I was surprised when I got to know there won't be exams for 3 courses, as Assessment is 100% coursework, which I prefer exams, I need advice on how to get good grades and which one is more likely to get A in btw the coursework and exams? And advice on getting a part time jobs, will part time jobs in Semester 1 not affecting the chances of getting good grades?
Actually it's a lot easier making good grades in assessment than exams, you're lucky as not all UK schools or rather not all courses test students with 100% assessment. All you need is submit your assessment promptly, reference your work properly, avoid plagiarism, talk to previous students who might have taken the course for tips on what the tutors really want (you may also want to ask for their previous report as guide).

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:47am On Sep 19, 2015
qstomiwa:

Get handout from your school or online on referencing, citation and journal article reviewing because you will need that badly to be able to pass any course work.

To get part time jobs you need to register with job agencies online and in town centre in your city. University job boards also advertise for part time jobs as well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Sleeksylvia(f): 3:22pm On Sep 19, 2015
hello house, nice work y'all. thanks for watching each others back and being our brothers keeper. I'm going to Coventry university in January 2016 for MSC. I need some advice with visa application, accommodation-on and off campus- which is better, life in school generally. thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.