Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,892 members, 7,817,625 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (811323 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 2:04pm On Jul 25, 2013
adaobi123: Typical annual cost of university/college accommodation £3,000–£3,800
Typical annual cost of private accommodation £2,600–£3,300

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/hertfordshire/accommodation[/quote
Hmm sounds too good to be true. Uni of Birmingham hostels are approximately 6500 pounds. Private off camp rooms can be anytin from 70pounds a week(3640/yr) to 130pounds a week(6760/yr) depending on size,proximity to skl,facility available etc...
But I guess some towns will be cheaper than Birm which is d biggest city after London...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 25, 2013
miz Gene: Hmm sounds too good to be true. Uni of Birmingham hostels are approximately 6500 pounds. Private off camp rooms can be anytin from 70pounds a week(3640/yr) to 130pounds a week(6760/yr) depending on size,proximity to skl,facility available etc...
But I guess some towns will be cheaper than Birm which is d biggest city after London...

Damnnn £6500......thats too expensive......
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SAT1: 2:21pm On Jul 25, 2013
hello all,
I must commend d efforts of every contributor to this thread. Its indeed a great service to humanity.

@justwice n other great minds: I got an offer @ University of Leeds and will possibly move in September. Kindly gist me on the school's reputation. I am currently arranging accommodation with Carr Mills, hope to talk to a forumee who has info abt their apartment.
MOST IMPOTANTLY I AM IN DILEMA NOW AS I HAVE NOT GOT A CLUE ON THE BEST WAY TO PAY MY TUITION FEE WHICH I ALREADY HAVE IN MY GTB ACC. I was considering a friend's suggestion that I should pay the fortune into d sch's Barclays account on arrival using my master card to withdraw d money from my GTB acc until I confirm on this thread that this is not feasible considering a max ATM withdrawal of £600 a day( and am to pay £16500). Somebody mention using CBN within the thread but the question is how do I go abt doing that when my money is in another bank? GTB suggested I open a dommy acc for them to make d payment for me but am not comfortable with that as I dont know the exchange rate they would use. PLS ADVISE!

@ cipslim and other tech gurus: am glad to kno u studied Telecomms Engineering, am also pursuing Telecommunications and Signal processing @ MSc level @University of Leeds. I have over 3years telecoms in Nigeria here ( with Starcomms, Nera MW and currently Huawei Technologies as a TX Engineer), also bagged a couple of ICT certifications along the line. Though I dont issues with comming back to Naija after ma MSC as getting my self back into the telecoms sector should be my least problem (plus Huawei would readily take me back, but what's my professional job prospects in the UK? putting in mind that my company( Huawei) is fast growing in Europe and particularly in the UK( in fact they have a massive head quater in Readings now ). I am also considering relocating to the gulf region after my MSc if I get a good offer there........how do I get agents in the UK to help me on this regard?

Finally a senior colleague warned that I should think outside Telecommunications for MSc as the field is too narrow, he suggested instrumentation n control(because of oil n gas)which sounds weird to me as I have next to zero hands on experience in the area( I also heard one's hands experience must tally with his/her MSc to get a professional job in the UK). Whats your take on this........do u have any regret studyind Telecoms?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Be2012(f): 2:46pm On Jul 25, 2013
cipslim:

@Lakehay21

The people of Sunderland are NICE.. Where did you get that from... I finished from University of Sunderland, St Peter's Campus (Telecomms Engineering).. The people of Sunderland ain't nice at all... I don't want to go into the stories here..
But the Uni have lots of nice lecturer and staffs willing to help anyone....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Be2012(f): 2:51pm On Jul 25, 2013
cipslim:

@Lakehay21

The people of Sunderland are NICE.. Where did you get that from... I finished from University of Sunderland, St Peter's Campus (Telecomms Engineering).. The people of Sunderland ain't nice at all... I don't want to go into the stories here..
@ Lakehay21, I hope to come to sunderland this sept,
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SAT1: 3:08pm On Jul 25, 2013
@cipsli; see my loads of questions above oh! Am counting on u man
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 5:08pm On Jul 25, 2013
SAT1: hello all,
I must commend d efforts of every contributor to this thread. Its indeed a great service to humanity.

@justwice n other great minds: I got an offer @ University of Leeds and will possibly move in September. Kindly gist me on the school's reputation. I am currently arranging accommodation with Carr Mills, hope to talk to a forumee who has info abt their apartment.
MOST IMPOTANTLY I AM IN DILEMA NOW AS I HAVE NOT GOT A CLUE ON THE BEST WAY TO PAY MY TUITION FEE WHICH I ALREADY HAVE IN MY GTB ACC. I was considering a friend's suggestion that I should pay the fortune into d sch's Barclays account on arrival using my master card to withdraw d money from my GTB acc until I confirm on this thread that this is not feasible considering a max ATM withdrawal of £600 a day( and am to pay £16500). Somebody mention using CBN within the thread but the question is how do I go abt doing that when my money is in another bank? GTB suggested I open a dommy acc for them to make d payment for me but am not comfortable with that as I dont know the exchange rate they would use. PLS ADVISE!

@ cipslim and other tech gurus: am glad to kno u studied Telecomms Engineering, am also pursuing Telecommunications and Signal processing @ MSc level @University of Leeds. I have over 3years telecoms in Nigeria here ( with Starcomms, Nera MW and currently Huawei Technologies as a TX Engineer), also bagged a couple of ICT certifications along the line. Though I dont issues with comming back to Naija after ma MSC as getting my self back into the telecoms sector should be my least problem (plus Huawei would readily take me back, but what's my professional job prospects in the UK? putting in mind that my company( Huawei) is fast growing in Europe and particularly in the UK( in fact they have a massive head quater in Readings now ). I am also considering relocating to the gulf region after my MSc if I get a good offer there........how do I get agents in the UK to help me on this regard?

Finally a senior colleague warned that I should think outside Telecommunications for MSc as the field is too narrow, he suggested instrumentation n control(because of oil n gas)which sounds weird to me as I have next to zero hands on experience in the area( I also heard one's hands experience must tally with his/her MSc to get a professional job in the UK). Whats your take on this........do u have any regret studyind Telecoms?

Leeds university rating is good, one of the best in west Yorkshire, the city is the most lively city in west Yorkshire with good transport system. Leeds has huge foreign students community because there are about 2 Universities and many colleges there.

Pay your fees through your bank, that is what many people do though you will be charged commission.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by cipslim(m): 9:45pm On Jul 25, 2013
SAT1: @cipsli; see my loads of questions above oh! Am counting on u man

Leeds University is a good school and the city is a nice place and you will be fine. I don't think it will be difficult for you to get a job from your experience in Telecomms...Honestly i have never work in a Telecomms company... even though i have a masters in telecomms engineering.. I have work with more banks and other industries mainly in ICT Department, It might be due to my lack of work experiences in the field.

The only difficult part is you getting the necessary papers to work or getting a job with a company that would sponsor your work visa. You will probably get a nice pay if you have a working visa after your Msc, doing a Contract job... Contract Jobs for Telecomms Engineer pays between £250 - £400 a day... (you can check on jobserve)... i got all my jobs through jobserve.com... I apply for jobs on the site and the agency call me to arrange for interview...

For now i would say you should worry more on getting here, ready for your course and the most important thing is adjusting to the system here

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kalimera101: 10:06pm On Jul 25, 2013
peteafrik88:

Capital letter GBAM!!!!!

I don't really know for a lot of people, i love winter. thee colder the better
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SAT1: 2:12pm On Jul 26, 2013
Really appreciate dis info bro particularly d glad tiding ( that I migth not find it too tough to get a job).

So I can do contract jobs from the end of my course till the expiration of my visa?
Is there a possibility of getting a telecoms partime job during my course?
cipslim:

Leeds University is a good school and the city is a nice place and you will be fine. I don't think it will be difficult for you to get a job from your experience in Telecomms...Honestly i have never work in a Telecomms company... even though i have a masters in telecomms engineering.. I have work with more banks and other industries mainly in ICT Department, It might be due to my lack of work experiences in the field.

The only difficult part is you getting the necessary papers to work or getting a job with a company that would sponsor your work visa. You will probably get a nice pay if you have a working visa after your Msc, doing a Contract job... Contract Jobs for Telecomms Engineer pays between £250 - £400 a day... (you can check on jobserve)... i got all my jobs through jobserve.com... I apply for jobs on the site and the agency call me to arrange for interview...

For now i would say you should worry more on getting here, ready for your course and the most important thing is adjusting to the system here

Really appreciate dis info bro particularly d glad tiding ( that I migth not find it too tough to get a job).

So I can do contract jobs from the end of my course till the expiration of my visa?
Is there a possibility of getting a telecoms partime job during my course?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by cipslim(m): 4:43pm On Jul 26, 2013
@SATI

I am afraid you can only do 10 or 20 hours part time Job with your student Visa.. Not sure if you can get a telecomms contract job with that.. You need a proper Work Visa to get any good contract job..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jul 26, 2013
miz Gene:
Graduate,u?
graduate buh nxt yr by God's grace cos i'm still serving now...i'm preparing for my IELTS exam..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 8:38pm On Jul 26, 2013
vivichocs: graduate buh nxt yr by God's grace cos i'm still serving now...i'm preparing for my IELTS exam..
Ok,goodluck,but Birm does not ask for ielts to d best of my knowledge,u may want to mail them and ask sha so u dnt waste ur time n money....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ebencoreal(m): 11:11pm On Jul 28, 2013
monchouchou:

@Honey86 thank you very much. I will do just that. Are you a post graduate student there?

Pls I want to know If this is true, a friend is helping me to process admissions to University of Manchester, he then asked me to bring £100 for the PG application fee rwquired by the school to complete the application. Pls I want to know if the school collects £100 (N25k) for application fee. Pls help me with the info cos I need to see him tomorrow...I don't wana be duped. @iamebenco
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:09am On Jul 29, 2013
ebencoreal:

Pls I want to know If this is true, a friend is helping me to process admissions to University of Manchester, he then asked me to bring £100 for the PG application fee rwquired by the school to complete the application. Pls I want to know if the school collects £100 (N25k) for application fee. Pls help me with the info cos I need to see him tomorrow...I don't wana be duped. @iamebenco

I doubt, admission is always free when you applying directly to the school, what is the name of the school? You can always email the school directly and ask but i never came across a school that charges penny for application
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by presiade(m): 8:06am On Jul 29, 2013
ebencoreal:

As of last session, I applied to Manchester and there was no application fee required, I believe the situation remains unchanged.
You smart enough by coming on this forum. You can actually apply yourself free, un-aided.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:09am On Jul 29, 2013
presiade:
As of last session, I applied to Manchester and there was no application fee required, I believe the situation remains unchanged.
You smart enough by coming on this forum. You can actually apply yourself free, un-aided.
Manchester business school requires that you pay £60 application fee, the agent must be trying to make extra dough by requesting for 100.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by presiade(m): 3:05pm On Jul 29, 2013
honey86:
Manchester business school requires that you pay £60 application fee, the agent must be trying to make extra dough by requesting for 100.
But the questioner did not state he is applying to the business school.
He needs to clarify..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jul 29, 2013
presiade:
But the questioner did not state he is applying to the business school.
He needs to clarify..
He has already contacted me privately.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by presiade(m): 6:42pm On Jul 29, 2013
^ It's ok
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:48am On Jul 30, 2013
miz Gene:
Ok,goodluck,but Birm does not ask for ielts to d best of my knowledge,u may want to mail them and ask sha so u dnt waste ur time n money....
tanx dearie buh wnt to apply to other unis that's y i wnt to take it...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by novakid(m): 2:09am On Aug 01, 2013
Hello everyone, I've been reading this post from the first page and sincerely, its been educative all the way, there's no other way to appreciate your efforts than to pray that God showers his blessings upon you all...

As I read from the first page, I was hoping someone would say something about my school of choice for my MSc but nothing came up, I got an offer from University of Glasgow to study International Business and Entrepreneurship (MSc), would be resuming this sept by God's grace, total fees is about £16,500 and I've made a prepayment of £2,000, also got an accommodation with the school, but the issues I have which I would love fellow Nairalanders to help is that;
## I was told the remaining £14,500 balance can be spread through 8 installments with direct debit, this I do not really understand,
## also when I was about to make a £450 prepayment deposit into the school's account through bank transfer for my accommodation, gtbank charged me #2,000 here in Nigeria and when the funds got there, they deducted £12 as offshore charges and that kept me wondering that transfering money in this procedure would be problematic, now I feel that if the funds are kept in my gtb naira mastercard, is there any other way around making payments when I get there just to avoid excessive charges on the installments...
##i would also appreciate if anyone can brief me on the social life, part time jobs, african shops and other nigerian-related information about glasgow/scotland in general especially the scottish accent...
Thanks

***Happy New Month***
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:38am On Aug 01, 2013
novakid :
Hello everyone, I've been reading this post from the first page and sincerely, its been educative all the way, there's no other way to appreciate your efforts than to pray that God showers his blessings upon you all...

As I read from the first page, I was hoping someone would say something about my school of choice for my MSc but nothing came up, I got an offer from University of Glasgow to study International Business and Entrepreneurship (MSc), would be resuming this sept by God's grace, total fees is about £16,500 and I've made a prepayment of £2,000, also got an accommodation with the school, but the issues I have which I would love fellow Nairalanders to help is that;
## I was told the remaining £14,500 balance can be spread through 8 installments with direct debit, this I do not really understand,
## also when I was about to make a £450 prepayment deposit into the school's account through bank transfer for my accommodation, gtbank charged me #2,000 here in Nigeria and when the funds got there, they deducted £12 as offshore charges and that kept me wondering that transfering money in this procedure would be problematic, now I feel that if the funds are kept in my gtb naira mastercard, is there any other way around making payments when I get there just to avoid excessive charges on the installments...
##i would also appreciate if anyone can brief me on the social life, part time jobs, african shops and other nigerian-related information about glasgow/scotland in general especially the scottish accent...
Thanks

***Happy New Month***

Yes some schools are kind enough to give foreign students direct debit arrangement, its an arrangement whereby you are allowed to pay your fees monthly or quarterly, you may be asked to pay the remaining 12,000 pounds in 3 or 6 months. Every month the fees will go out of your account automatically.

The downside is this....if you don't have the money ready in your account at a specific date then the bank will charge you everyday you default.

You will always be charged for money transfer, that is normal. You can open domiciliary account and transfer the money into it then travel to the UK with your bank card.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Aug 01, 2013
miz Gene:
pls dear, do u know if uni of Birm offers scholarsp on toxicology?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by novakid(m): 6:33pm On Aug 01, 2013
Thanks Justwise...I'll pursue the domiciliary account option

Please anyone with info with regards to glasgow and scotland in general...thanks y'all
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 3:33pm On Aug 02, 2013
Well, I study here, still a current student with at least 2 years left on my course. I have had good experiences here so far with no major problem with anyone.
cipslim:

@Lakehay21

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 3:39pm On Aug 02, 2013
£400 is a lot of money... You should definitely survive on that per month.
adaobi123:

Since you say you don't go clubbing. You will be able to survive on £400 a month.

There are a lot of shops in the UK that sell food at a cheap price, so you may have money left over.
smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 3:46pm On Aug 02, 2013
That's good. Studying what course?
Be+2012:
@ Lakehay21, I hope to come to sunderland this sept,
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ttsource: 4:58pm On Aug 02, 2013
Hi all... I will be heading to pontypridd, South Wales (University of South Wales). I am trying to find out the best way to sort housing. I was advised to book a hotel for a week on landing during which I could find housing. I wanted to know what's the usual estimate time to find housing and a good contract. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fiscalcliff: 7:20pm On Aug 03, 2013
Lakehay21: £400 is a lot of money... You should definitely survive on that per month.
Does this 400 include accommodation
If yes,will it be that decent seeing from my online searches about 70-80 quid and above will fetch one decent housing
It could be cheaper when one is on ground to see it from another perspective though
But what of utility bills like Internet, electricity, water etc undecided
Especially electricity bills during the winter months
Can someone help break this down better for those who wouldn't opt for university provided housing?
Thanks

Also Lakehay21 and those living in the northeast, how is clothes shopping like over there?
Is the prices decent enough (definitely would cost more than in Nigeria) that you won't spend to much electing to buy once over there?
Are there clothing shops over there which offer students discounts?
What other sectors offer similar rebates?
Any site or link you chaps will be kind enough to let us in on?
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 03, 2013
^ minus accommodation
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 7:56pm On Aug 03, 2013
adaobi123: ^ minus accommodation

^ Plus accomodation...where do you get your stats from undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.