Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,937 members, 7,835,124 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (813749 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:12am On Aug 24, 2013
james_ibor: Are you saying that someone working 20 hrs a week won't earn enough to cover living expenses?

That is possible depending on how much your rent and bills are.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jamesibor: 10:26am On Aug 24, 2013
justwise:

That is possible depending on how much your rent and bills are.
Well, such a person would have to cut his coat according to his cloth. I was able to survive comfortably in London with around £500 per month in 2009/2010. My rent then was £320 inclusive of all bills and a lil above £40 for zones 2 & 3 travel card and 30 pounds mobile phone bill. Always cooked my own food.

Oyibo babes na free. If you carry hand go put for Naija babes, you are on your own. As you dey top up her oyster, na so u go dey buy lycamobile top up join meanwhile she could be earning same or even more than you.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 2:07pm On Aug 24, 2013
Although there are part time jobs, but they are just for your maintenance, believe me. It's hard to find a job that can pay your tuition and meet your maintenance needs.

honourableseyi: I have been reading about £7,200 maintenance fee for a year. Please if someone is going for an undergraduate program which is 3 years and has nobody to send money to him from Naija or anywhere . After he must have exhaust the first year maintenance fee, what happens with the remaining 2 years tuition and maintenance fee? I mean how can someone source for it? Can it be source for over there doing part time job? Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by honourableseyi: 3:10pm On Aug 24, 2013
james_ibor: Well, such a person would have to cut his coat according to his cloth. I was able to survive comfortably in London with around £500 per month in 2009/2010. My rent then was £320 inclusive of all bills and a lil above £40 for zones 2 & 3 travel card and 30 pounds mobile phone bill. Always cooked my own food.

Oyibo babes na free. If you carry hand go put for Naija babes, you are on your own. As you dey top up her oyster, na so u go dey buy lycamobile top up join meanwhile she could be earning same or even more than you.

Lols, me I no dey carry babes ooo, neither drink nor go clubbing. I run for all of these even in naija not to talk of when I'm in oyinbo land.Thanks for the advice sir.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by honourableseyi: 3:13pm On Aug 24, 2013
@Oga lakehay, justwise, james and the rest, I really appreciate your truthful and candid advice, I pray that the good Lord will bless you in return in Jesus name. I will keep all you have said in mind by not taking any rash decision that will backfire later on. Enjoyment continues...........
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 8:39am On Aug 25, 2013
honourableseyi:

Lols, me I no dey carry babes ooo, neither drink nor go clubbing. I run for all of these even in naija not to talk of when I'm in oyinbo land.Thanks for the advice sir.
Na oyinbo land e easy pass cool smiley wink
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 12:23pm On Aug 26, 2013
Advice to the new lads coming into the uk to study in this academic year, Uk is full of clubs, shopping malls, skydiving, ocean diving, carnivals, paintballing, bowling, ice skating rinks and yes pretty girls/hot dudes. Loads of fun stuff to see, do and enjoy. But do not forget that you have spent a lot of money coming here to excel at your studies, trust me there is no greater joy than knowing you've got very exceptional performance and your knowledge can be useful to any organization with loads of cash in return. You don't start to feel the pinch of not being serious with getting the best out of the school process, till you find out those who have, are extremely happy and will still have time to enjoy those fancy things after their studies, that you couldn't wait to explore to the detriment of your own success. Its not enough to just get a masters degree from uk, you know where you come from, your performance matters a lot, the greatest thing is..The world will be your oyster if you are the exceptional one. Take a clue from this and make a big impact on your life from this opportunity. Trust me there are many advantages of doing so. I know people who spent all their nights in clubs during our first semester and slept in class the morning after, today they have seen how successful the hardworkers have become and they say 'had they known'. An opportunity once lost can never be regained with the same vigour. Be wise mates and strive for nothing less than excellence. These are the things no one tells you but most people figure it out when its too late, so here you have it...what you do with it is entirely up to you. Cheers.

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Be2012(f): 9:03pm On Aug 26, 2013
Cavenchy: Advice to the new lads coming into the uk to study in this academic year, Uk is full of clubs, shopping malls, skydiving, ocean diving, carnivals, paintballing, bowling, ice skating rinks and yes pretty girls/hot dudes. Loads of fun stuff to see, do and enjoy. But do not forget that you have spent a lot of money coming here to excel at your studies, trust me there is no greater joy than knowing you've got very exceptional performance and your knowledge can be useful to any organization with loads of cash in return. You don't start to feel the pinch of not being serious with getting the best out of the school process, till you find out those who have, are extremely happy and will still have time to enjoy those fancy things after their studies, that you couldn't wait to explore to the detriment of your own success. Its not enough to just get a masters degree from uk, you know where you come from, your performance matters a lot, the greatest thing is..The world will be your oyster if you are the exceptional one. Take a clue from this and make a big impact on your life from this opportunity. Trust me there are many advantages of doing so. I know people who spent all their nights in clubs during our first semester and slept in class the morning after, today they have seen how successful the hardworkers have become and they say 'had they known'. An opportunity once lost can never be regained with the same vigour. Be wise mates and strive for nothing less than excellence. These are the things no one tells you but most people figure it out when its too late, so here you have it...what you do with it is entirely up to you. Cheers.
CAvenchy gud advice for those who know what they want in life.Well if u know u don't a godfather to fix u up ith one parastal or business outfit then u won't be clubbing. I believe those who do that already hv jobs waiting for them somewhere thts y they so callous.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 2:56am On Aug 27, 2013
Be+2012:

CAvenchy gud advice for those who know what they want in life.Well if u know u don't a godfather to fix u up ith one parastal or business outfit then u won't be clubbing. I believe those who do that already hv jobs waiting for them somewhere thts y they so callous.

While it is true some people have jobs waiting for them, it is also true that jobs: just like marriage and every other acheivement...is not the end but a beginning..how would one feel when given a job and then have no impact in the work place? What is wrong with using what you've learnt to turn the place you work around even if you got in by connection? I understand the Nigerian 'anything goes situation' in many workplaces but then again this is the same reason why the country has not improved because most of the people fixed in by godfathers dont know jack and dont bother about it. Very few people can party and still make the grades, but most times it takes very hard work for such to happen. Well, those that have godfathers can continue going to the clubs, the godfathers wont be there to explain to the children of their subjects what their parents were doing when others were getting the grades. That is something they'll have to do themselves.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kaka22(m): 1:15am On Aug 28, 2013
Well, I have read through all your posts from the beginning to the end... I have to first commend all of you for sharing your experiences... I am presently in final year in one of the best universities in Nigeria. Presently I am in second class upper division(4.18 on a 5.0 scale) and I have the hope that I will graduate with atleast 4.0 by God's grace... I will be through with my studies before the year runs out by God's grace... I intend to further my studies in uk on scholarship... I've searched and scanned the websites of different universities in uk. I discovered that university of exeter offers masters in public administration on scholarship... My questions aresad1). Do u think that I stand a chance for the scholarship since there are competitions for that slot all over? (2). How is university of exeter in terms of their rating in uk, social life,etc?. (3). Can I work in government establishment in uk after my studies in uk?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 11:55am On Aug 28, 2013
kaka22: Well, I have read through all your posts from the beginning to the end... I have to first commend all of you for sharing your experiences... I am presently in final year in one of the best universities in Nigeria. Presently I am in second class upper division(4.18 on a 5.0 scale) and I have the hope that I will graduate with atleast 4.0 by God's grace... I will be through with my studies before the year runs out by God's grace... I intend to further my studies in uk on scholarship... I've searched and scanned the websites of different universities in uk. I discovered that university of exeter offers masters in public administration on scholarship... My questions aresad1). Do u think that I stand a chance for the scholarship since there are competitions for that slot all over? (2). How is university of exeter in terms of their rating in uk, social life,etc?. (3). Can I work in government establishment in uk after my studies in uk?

1, No one here can tell you if you stand a chance or not- you hsould read their criteria and apply- applications for scholarship close earlier than normal and as funds for scholarship change from year to year its advisable to apply early!

2, University of Exeter is well rated for its research-very good ratings- social life- the usual

3, You can work anywhere as long as you have the right to work and are accepted- very competitive
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Aug 28, 2013
any one going to loughborough university
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiichii2010: 3:27pm On Aug 28, 2013
Plz,house is bucks new university wycombe a good school,i want 2 do top up degree in nursing secondly re there blacks in dat part of london n is it possible to get a part time job there
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 28, 2013
Chiichii2010: Plz,house is bucks new university wycombe a good school,i want 2 do top up degree in nursing secondly re there blacks in dat part of london n is it possible to get a part time job there

I think you should try and look at other universities. Can you go outside London ?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 3:38pm On Aug 28, 2013
Chiichii2010: Plz,house is bucks new university wycombe a good school,i want 2 do top up degree in nursing secondly re there blacks in dat part of london n is it possible to get a part time job there

it's not in london

whats your previous course in?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiichii2010: 7:14pm On Aug 28, 2013
I thought its london,i did nursing
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiichii2010: 7:17pm On Aug 28, 2013
@adaobi outside london like where,wil be glad to knw more
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 7:37pm On Aug 28, 2013
are you looking for top up only or just nursing related courses?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 28, 2013
Chiichii2010: @adaobi outside london like where,wil be glad to knw more

Dis Guy: are you looking for top up only or just nursing related courses?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiichii2010: 11:44pm On Aug 28, 2013
Just top up diploma 2 degree in nursing
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 12:31pm On Aug 29, 2013
Be+2012:

No, I've got no godfather to fix me up in a parastatal and my father is not Mike Adenuga. I club whenever I feel like and it has not in anyway hindered me from topping my class. With all sense of sincerity, I'm not trying to sound bombastic. However, I thought your assertion is baseless.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 12:40pm On Aug 29, 2013
there's the belief if you go to club or party, your grades will suffer--- i don't know what clubbing is like in nigeria but in the UK its pretty straight forward its not some complicated travel or task where you struggle ot arrange transport,security etc

I'd rather say if you're busy chasing 20hr work or extra shift to make more money you're grade suffer more from that than clubbing occassionally

-just dont go empty the beer barrell

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Kkadams(f): 4:46pm On Aug 29, 2013
Hello nairalanders am going to University of Portsmouth to study Msc forensic accounting by Gods grace ,,pls is there anyone else heading to uop ,I was allocated school accommodation and I just have a feeling I won't like it.sept 9th feels too close
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Kkadams(f): 4:51pm On Aug 29, 2013
Cavenchy: Advice to the new lads coming into the uk to study in this academic year, Uk is full of clubs, shopping malls, skydiving, ocean diving, carnivals, paintballing, bowling, ice skating rinks and yes pretty girls/hot dudes. Loads of fun stuff to see, do and enjoy. But do not forget that you have spent a lot of money coming here to excel at your studies, trust me there is no greater joy than knowing you've got very exceptional performance and your knowledge can be useful to any organization with loads of cash in return. You don't start to feel the pinch of not being serious with getting the best out of the school process, till you find out those who have, are extremely happy and will still have time to enjoy those fancy things after their studies, that you couldn't wait to explore to the detriment of your own success. Its not enough to just get a masters degree from uk, you know where you come from, your performance matters a lot, the greatest thing is..The world will be your oyster if you are the exceptional one. Take a clue from this and make a big impact on your life from this opportunity. Trust me there are many advantages of doing so. I know people who spent all their nights in clubs during our first semester and slept in class the morning after, today they have seen how successful the hardworkers have become and they say 'had they known'. An opportunity once lost can never be regained with the same vigour. Be wise mates and strive for nothing less than excellence. These are the things no one tells you but most people figure it out when its too late, so here you have it...what you do with it is entirely up to you. Cheers.
. Thanks cavenchy
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Aristoqrat: 11:16pm On Aug 29, 2013
Kkadams: Hello nairalanders am going to University of Portsmouth to study Msc forensic accounting by Gods grace ,,pls is there anyone else heading to uop ,I was allocated school accommodation and I just have a feeling I won't like it.sept 9th feels too close

Why do you feel that way?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by novakid(m): 10:30am On Aug 30, 2013
whizkidy: Hello house, who has an admission with university of Glasgow here?I need to make some enquiries.

Yo!!! Bro...will be travelling there next week by God's grace...how can I be of help?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:37am On Aug 30, 2013
Kkadams: Hello nairalanders am going to University of Portsmouth to study Msc forensic accounting by Gods grace ,,pls is there anyone else heading to uop ,I was allocated school accommodation and I just have a feeling I won't like it.sept 9th feels too close

You can change after first semester, some of their student accommodations are crappy anyway

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Kkadams(f): 10:58pm On Aug 30, 2013
Aristoqrat:

Why do you feel that way?
. I read stuffs abt it on a blog eventually I might just stay dere like dat or change if need be
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Aristoqrat: 12:20am On Aug 31, 2013
Kkadams: . I read stuffs abt it on a blog eventually I might just stay dere like dat or change if need be

Okay I understand. You can always get something better if the need arises like you said.
All the best!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by novakid(m): 8:15pm On Sep 03, 2013
please who is in glasgow oooo, I just got here and I need help finding my foot, any Nairalander in University of Glasgow, pls pm me oooo
smiley smiley smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by whizkidy: 3:59pm On Sep 05, 2013
novakid :

Yo!!! Bro...will be travelling there next week by God's grace...how can I be of help?
Hello,

Please check your mail

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (213) (Reply)

DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.