Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (811394 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 10:23am On Oct 11, 2013
adaobi123:

Because we hustle. We got jobs tongue

I am so much loving ur responses today...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by presiade(m): 11:59am On Oct 11, 2013
Is peteafrik88= justwise? Hmmm? I'm just curious::: *smiling*
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olaone1: 12:30pm On Oct 11, 2013
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:00am On Oct 12, 2013
While washing my clothes yesterday, I discovered about 10k in the pocket of one of my clothes.Can anyone help me with an address here in London where I can change naira to British pounds. The money means so much to me at the moment. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by adamsjosef(m): 8:17am On Oct 12, 2013
Ola one:
You cook bucket-load of rice and keep in your freezer all week innit?
Interspersed with 1.99 chicken and chips, abi?

Try visiting a naija restaurant twice a week or cook another stew apart from your usual, tasteless 1-pound chicken. Also, don't go to your college with a recycled bottle of water in your bag every day.
Then, do the maths.

Ola one, though funny but I assure you, you're getting it all wrong. I've got no qualms with anyone spending £10,000 a week on feeding or whatsoever inasmuch as it doesn't affect my account balance...it's ur life. What I'm saying in earnest is this, don't try to spend beyond ur means, irrespective of what you think, there are people who still live on less than what you think you can't survive on. Finally, I believe here's not home, I'll be gone as soon as I'm done with my studies, then why the heck should I try and impress anybody with my spending? Ola one, that's foolishness of the highest order...except ...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 9:45pm On Oct 12, 2013
presiade: Is peteafrik88= justwise? Hmmm? I'm just curious::: *smiling*
A big no no but I must confess that his advices are rili going a long way in my stay in the UK, coupled with the grace of God. Justwise, I say thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SimonT: 10:13am On Oct 13, 2013
I somehow thought there would bw more to Nigerian cooking than throwing a chicken in the pot, and then adding whatever was left in the cupboard. There are alternatives. For really crap recipes, we have some involving eggs and cheese at www.Nigerianlondon.com
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by presiade(m): 3:12pm On Oct 13, 2013
peteafrik88:
A big no no but I must confess that his advices are rili going a long way in my stay in the UK, coupled with the grace of God. Justwise, I say thank you
It's ok, don't mind me...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 13, 2013
Please Nairalanders, we need ur help. My cousin is starting her course by jan in the uk and she is already pregnant.
Will the pregnancy affect her visa or studies?
Or is it best for her to defer her admission? Can she cope in the uk with pregnancy as a postgraduate student?
She has paid her full tuition fee and she's got more than enough for her living expenses. She is uber worried, she really wants to start january. Pls advice
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fckyourman: 3:39pm On Oct 13, 2013
danny4sure: Please Nairalanders, we need ur help. My cousin is starting her course by jan in the uk and she is already pregnant.
Or is it best for her to defer her admission? Can she cope in the uk with pregnancy as a postgraduate student?
She has paid her full tuition fee and she's got more than enough for her living expenses. She is uber worried, she really wants to start january. Pls advice

et her come here, and marry one Britain man whether na cleaner or plumber.
na British citizen she becomes

On the other hand yes she can cope with pregnancy since most postgraduate studies are sometimes off-campus, but can she afford the hospital bills, if not she better stay back in nigeria and defer her course.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:49pm On Oct 13, 2013
danny4sure: Please Nairalanders, we need ur help. My cousin is starting her course by jan in the uk and she is already pregnant.

Without family support she can't cope simple, she need to come with her husband who will help her else she will struggle big time.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Oct 13, 2013
[Her husband can't be steady with her, he will be visiting. As for money matters, she's got enough. On the other hand, can she come back and have her baby in nigeria then go back after?]

Without family support she can't cope simple, she need to come with her husband who will help her else she will struggle big time.[/quote]
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Oct 13, 2013
Pls ohhh, she is not after a British citizenship for her child, she has started the whole process before she got pregnant. All we need to know is if she can cope with studies and her visa will be refused because of dat. Btw do u have an idea how must the bills maybe? Lol

et her come here, and marry one Britain man whether na cleaner or plumber.
na British citizen she becomes

On the other hand yes she can cope with pregnancy since most postgraduate studies are sometimes off-campus, but can she afford the hospital bills, if not she better stay back in nigeria and defer her course.
[/quote]
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 11:08am On Oct 14, 2013
Its crazy when you miss this buses mehn
And I ain't taking no taxi
Finally the bus is here grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 11:12am On Oct 14, 2013
try to get a bus time table!
it's better to be 5minutes early to the bus stop than a minute late to the stop!!

And Winter is coming--the weather is bad as it is right now!! cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:03pm On Oct 14, 2013
danny4sure: [Her husband can't be steady with her, he will be visiting. As for money matters, she's got enough. On the other hand, can she come back and have her baby in nigeria then go back after?]

Without family support she can't cope simple, she need to come with her husband who will help her else she will struggle big time.

I really don't know how that will work, why not have the baby in Nigeria before embarking on the UK study program?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Oct 14, 2013
ochukoccna: Its crazy when you miss this buses mehn
And I ain't taking no taxi
Finally the bus is here grin grin

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by coogar: 12:26pm On Oct 14, 2013
UK students, una well done o!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 4:50am On Oct 15, 2013

Best she seeks advise from the university and also speak to the embassy, about possible plans to defer admission for @least a year. How would she cope with child birth, childcare, lectures, assignments, babies sick day's, mothers sick days etc etc etc
If she decides to defer, the embassy needs to be aware of change of plans and future updates, so as not to jeopardise her visa position.
Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Oct 15, 2013
Pregnant? Hmm well it's either

1. She deferrs admission
2. If her due date falls within the summer months then she would be on holiday so she can have herhubby or a relative or hire an au pair to stay with baby after the birth
It means she has to tell them she's pregnant when she's applying and give details of her plans for childcare (not hospital bills since that is on NHS). She has to show funds for childcare (which includes money to be paid for crech or money paid to au pai). Also note if she's Getting au pair/nanny then her accomodation plans should include a 2bed accomodation.
If it was that her husband was coming too then 2bed would not be necessary, if he does come then she'd apply for dependent visa for him and show funds too.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Oct 15, 2013
She cud also make arrangements for mother-in-law to come towards EDD and then she can stay 5 months and then pay for creche onwards.
She would still have to show funds for feeding n accomodatg mum as well as creche care (200-500 or more depending on location)
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Deolu1993: 11:12am On Oct 16, 2013
Hey guys do you know any good schools int the Uk that do January intake for engineering courses?this is because a friend got refused visa and would like to start in January not September. He has got good qualifications just that he was refused entry clearance.any advice about uk schools or perhaps other viable alternatives would be appreciated.thanks nlanders
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 11:33am On Oct 16, 2013
Renewable engineering?
Financial Engineering?
Mathematical Engineering?
Medical Engineering?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Deolu1993: 12:05pm On Oct 16, 2013
Dis Guy: Renewable engineering?
Financial Engineering?
Mathematical Engineering?
Medical Engineering?

Chemical engineering for undergraduate
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 12:20pm On Oct 16, 2013
doubt you'll fine many undergraduate course starting january- especially Engineering
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Moves: 9:12pm On Oct 16, 2013
Its best she comes now;reason being that if she defers she should say goodbye 2 post grad or when exactly will she be able to leave her young child to come study; not a fan of seperating babies from their mum when they are weeks or few month old..So l would suggest she comes; starts in Jan, if shes due in summer;she should get her hubby to come visit closer to her delivery; and since funds is not an issue she would find a creche -which may not be expensive as she wont be in school 9-5; also try to be stay close to relatives or seeing theres a huge Naija/african community she should start making friends. It gonna be difficult but its doable.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 12:06pm On Oct 17, 2013
Deolu_1993: Hey guys do you know any good schools int the Uk that do January intake for engineering courses?this is because a friend got refused visa and would like to start in January not September. He has got good qualifications just that he was refused entry clearance.any advice about uk schools or perhaps other viable alternatives would be appreciated.thanks nlanders

Let him use http://www.educationuk.org/eduk/global/sr/course/postgraduate/engineering-and-technology/g/list.html to search out January courses or maybe April start dates because of the wintry weather in January.

Also http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/ and http://www.theguardian.com/education/universityguide to look up any potential schools rankings [though the rankings are basically geared toward undergrads]

Although most of the top schools recruit in September.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbakacici: 1:19pm On Oct 17, 2013
if you dont cook you can spend 100 a week, this is my 3rd week in my first 2 week, i dont cook anything i spend like 70 to 80 a week, i order from nigeria or pakistain restaurant and it cost like 10 to 12 pounds for you meals eg jolly rice with chicken and samoa with vegatable , biryani chicken rice and peri peri chicken so i dont see why you guys are shouting that some one spend 100 on food a week, but yes i know if you cook you can live on like 30 to 40 pounds a week, i will come late and give a details on how to survive on 30 to 40 pounds a week (list of prices)
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 17, 2013
^^^ but if you continue to spend that amount of money weekly, will you have any money at the end ?! undecided Cooking for yourself is better.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:53pm On Oct 17, 2013
abbakacici: if you dont cook you can spend 100 a week, this is my 3rd week in my first 2 week, i dont cook anything i spend like 70 to 80 a week, i order from nigeria or pakistain restaurant and it cost like 10 to 12 pounds for you meals eg jolly rice with chicken and samoa with vegatable , biryani chicken rice and peri peri chicken so i dont see why you guys are shouting that some one spend 100 on food a week, but yes i know if you cook you can live on like 30 to 40 pounds a week, i will come late and give a details on how to survive on 30 to 40 pounds a week (list of prices)

In Nigeria do you spend 20 thousand naira weekly on food alone as a single person?

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.