Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,583 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (53) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (811717 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mayo47(m): 6:55pm On Dec 06, 2013
adaobi123:

Lol who says I'm in naija ? tongue Mate, I'm a Londoner wink

Sorry o aunty Londoner....lol

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Agiemars: 7:07pm On Dec 06, 2013
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 7:30pm On Dec 06, 2013
Agiemars: thanks so much dear,will search 4 more uni's.
You are welcome smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 07, 2013
miz Gene:
If u mean for visa, answer is Yes, If u mean for admission then I can't b certain, i can only say that most schools don't except for MBA applicants to the top MBA schools. Infact even most of the biz schools don't bother with it.

thank you for your info. I am applying for student visa. What likely questions will I be asked during the interview? I wanna be well prepared.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 8:43am On Dec 07, 2013
adaobi123:

Lol who says I'm in naija ? tongue Mate, I'm a Londoner wink

Freshie Londoner....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 8:46am On Dec 07, 2013
adaobi123: Chei ! Kcl invited me to an interview. The lord is my shepherd cry grin embarassed

Does it mean you are shoving UoP?? Goodluck tho
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 9:43am On Dec 07, 2013
irun-obo:

thank you for your info. I am applying for student visa. What likely questions will I be asked during the interview? I wanna be well prepared.

https://www.nairaland.com/826936/uk-student-visa-tier-4
Yw. Last 3 pages of dt thread will answer ur questions.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:09am On Dec 07, 2013
peteafrik88:

Does it mean you are shoving UoP?? Goodluck tho

Nah. UoP still have my place. I'm just trying my luck with kings and other universities. tongue

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by coogar: 10:39am On Dec 07, 2013
adaobi123:

Nah. UoP still have my place. I'm just trying my luck with kings and other universities. tongue

don't go to any yeye school o...UoP? i'd rather join a karate school & forget university education entirely. those aren't good schools - it's like going to DELSU in nigeria when there are top schools like OAU, UI, UNILAG, ABU, etc.

make sure you do well in the interview for KCL. it's a good school that will help your career opportunities in the next 4 years. your choices should be limited to the 24 universities(russell group) - which KCL belongs to. any other school is a waste of your time, money & perhaps gambling with your future.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 10:48am On Dec 07, 2013
coogar:

don't go to any yeye school o...UoP? i'd rather join a karate school & forget university education entirely. those aren't good schools - it's like going to DELSU in nigeria when there are top schools like OAU, UI, UNILAG, ABU, etc.

make sure you do well in the interview for KCL. it's a good school that will help your career opportunities in the next 4 years. your choices should be limited to the 24 universities(russell group) - which KCL belongs to. any other school is a waste of your time, money & perhaps gambling with your future.

Aaah! Dts a bit harsh. I am also a proponent of 'get the best school you can' but I Am sure there are good schools outside the Russell grp...Esp when one considers the particular subject they r interested in.
What does UoP stand for anyway? Peterborough?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:50am On Dec 07, 2013
miz Gene:

Aaah! Dts a bit harsh. I am also a proponent of 'get the best school you can' but I Am sure there are good schools outside the Russell grp...Esp when one considers the particular subject they r interested in.

Portsmouth
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 07, 2013
coogar:

Yeye ke ? I liked the pharmacy school in portsmouth. The lecturers and facilities were really good. It all depends on the individual tbh.

I'm 100000% the interviewers will throw some academic questions at me. Its time to get preparing ! tongue

But like miz Gene said there are other good universities aside the Russell group.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:57am On Dec 07, 2013
coogar:

Many foreign students want to attend those 'good' universities but they are unaffordable, attending good university may not necessarily get you a good job, your journey may end at interview stage which is where your shinny certificate and good school name ends.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:58am On Dec 07, 2013
adaobi123:

Yeye ke ? I liked the pharmacy school in portsmouth. The lecturers and facilities were really good.[b]It all depends on the individual tbh.

I'm 100000% the interviewers will throw some academic questions at me. Its time to get preparing ! tongue

But like miz Gene said there are other good universities aside the Russell group.[/b]

That is the truth.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by coogar: 11:07am On Dec 07, 2013
miz Gene:

there are no good schools outside the russell group. the employers know this & one suddenly becomes a second fiddle when looking for top jobs. it's even bad now as nigerian employers are now catching the vibe so of what importance is wasting millions of naira going to a school that would not give you your desired job.

i owe my entire life to the school i finished from & i know what others go through to land jobs because of donkey-stubborn employers who insist on giving russell-group applicants VIP treatment & tossing the CVs of the others into the bin without even reading it. employers are not stüpid - they want the best of the best applicants for the smallest wages they can afford.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by coogar: 11:14am On Dec 07, 2013
justwise:

Many foreign students want to attend those 'good' universities but they are unaffordable, attending good university may not necessarily get you a good job, your journey may end at interview stage which is where your shinny certificate and good school name ends.

if you can't afford it, stay at home or go do ACCA instead of wasting £20k per session going to a school that will not benefit you in the end. is university a must? aren't there associate certifications one can get apart from degrees? this your advice is not cool at all.

your journey doesn't even end in the interview stage. FTSE companies send scouts to hunt students even before you complete your degree program. seriously, i will not advise anyone to go to a substandard school because you cannot afford to get into a top school. wait at home, save more money then get into a good school when your money is right.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 11:23am On Dec 07, 2013
coogar:

there are no good schools outside the russell group. the employers know this & one suddenly becomes a second fiddle when looking for top jobs. it's even bad now as nigerian employers are now catching the vibe so of what importance is wasting millions of naira going to a school that would not give you your desired job.

i owe my entire life to the school i finished from & i know what others go through go land jobs because of donkey-stubborn employers who insist on giving russell-group applicants VIP treatment & tossing the CVs of the others into the bin without even reading it. employers are not stüpid - they want the best of the best applicants for the smallest wages they can afford.
I beg to differ. Generally going to a Russell grp Uni can give one an edge in the job market esp in the UK, but Every industry: health, Biz, law, aeronautics etc has its own grp or list of schools which are very strong in their area of expertise. And der are lots of schools dt will give the Russell grp a stiff competition.
Secondly, I dnt think Nigerian employers care or even know what the Russell grp is! because frankly der r very few intl trained grads and dy don't hv dt luxury of picking Kcl over uop.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by coogar: 11:31am On Dec 07, 2013
miz Gene:
I beg to differ. Generally going to a Russell grp Uni can give one an edge in the job market esp in the UK, but Every industry: health, Biz, law, aeronautics etc has its own grp or list of schools which are very strong in their area of expertise. And der are lots of schools dt will give the Russell grp a stiff competition.

of course, there are lots of students elsewhere that would give russell group students a run for their money but then who cares? if you score 90% in an interview & a russell-group applicant score 85%, who do you think the employer would choose? you? grin cheesy

Secondly, I dnt think Nigerian employers care or even know what the Russell grp is! because frankly der r very few intl trained grads and dy don't hv dt luxury of picking Kcl over uop.

they now use the internet - they know the top schools & the average ones. if you are lucky that none of the other applicants has a russell-group certificate then your chances are brighter, if they do - start praying.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:31am On Dec 07, 2013
coogar:

if you can't afford it, stay at home or go do ACCA instead of wasting £20k per session going to a school that will not benefit you in the end. is university a must? aren't there associate certifications one can get apart from degrees? this your advice is not cool at all.

your journey doesn't even end in the interview stage. FTSE companies send scouts to hunt students even before you complete your degree program. seriously, i will not advise anyone to go to a substandard school because you cannot afford to get into a top school. wait at home, save more money then get into a good school when your money is right.

You are completely wrong, my cousin who works with an oil company in Nigeria just got transferred from Nigeria to London to work with the same company, he did not even attend any university, he attended a college in Southampton between 2001 and 2003 and went back to Nigeria and got that job. There are many i know who got good job after graduating from those schools you called waste of money. Going to good school can take you to interview stage but may not get you the job or do the job for you, it comes down to individual.

The noise people make about Russell group universities is just about class issue, trying to protect their ego, they are not better than those who attended schools outside that group.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:36am On Dec 07, 2013
miz Gene:

Completely agreed with you, even in the UK not every employee give a monkey about russell group universities, they want to employ somebody who can do the job and not somebody with shinny certificate awarded by glorified university

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:37am On Dec 07, 2013
@ coogar

Did you go to a russell group university ?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by coogar: 11:39am On Dec 07, 2013
justwise:

You are completely wrong, my cousin who works with an oil company in Nigeria just got transferred from Nigeria to London to work with the same company, he did not even attend any university, he attended a college in Southampton between 2001 and 2003 and went back to Nigeria and got that job. There are many i know who got good job after graduating from those schools you called waste of money. Going to good school can take you to interview stage but may not get you the job or do the job for you, it comes down to individual.

you want to compare the job hunt in 2003 to 2013? you are having a laugh. as at the time i was graduating, i am not even sure i applied for any job. the scouts during those career sessions in school already had my number & it was a direct link to the first job i got. times have changed now. there are more applicants than jobs so your CV has to be very sound & potent!!!

The noise people make about Russell group universities is just about class issue, trying to protect their ego, they are not better than those who attended schools outside that group.

the same class issue exists in the selection process in the interview stage. of course, a student from IMSU might be better than the one at cambridge but it's the cambridge applicant that will land the job. your cousin's circumstance is an exception, not the norm. even various factors apply - his school might have been the best of the lots that took the interview.

adaobi123: @ coogar
Did you go to a russell group university ?

manchester - the best uni in the UK. grin

justwise: [/b]

Completely agreed with you, even in the UK not ever employee give a monkey about russell group universities, they want to employ somebody who can do the job and not somebody with shinny certificate awarded by glorified university

be deceiving yourself....
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/feb/18/russell-group-universities-students-ambitions
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:43am On Dec 07, 2013
coogar:

you want to compare the job hunt in 2003 to 2013? you are having a laugh. as at the time i was graduating, i am not even sure i applied for any job. the scouts during those career sessions in school already had my number & it was a direct link to the first job i got. times have changed now. there are more applicants than jobs so your CV has to be very sound & potent!!!

the same class issue exists in the selection process in the interview stage. of course, a student from IMSU might be better than the one at cambridge but it's the cambridge applicant that will land the job. your cousin's circumstance is an exception, not the norm. even various factors apply - his school might have been the best of the lots that took the interview.

Coogar its called discrimination!! it has been in place for years, its not because the school they attended is good, its because certain class of people went to those schools and want to dominate, i got little or nothing to do with quality of russell group universities.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 11:44am On Dec 07, 2013
@ coogar I still stand by what I said, for example a grad of Cranfield or RGU going for an interview against a Russell grp grad for a petro engineering company position, forget any edge u think u hv! It all boils down to d industry and d schools dt hv strong departments in that area of expertise.
And I'll say it again, Nija employers dnt give a hoot where u finished from as of now. Maybe in future when most of the employers themselves are foreign trained dt cd happen.....even in that 'future ' if der will be any discrimination, it will come from d Unis dt hv the most grads in top positions here.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:50am On Dec 07, 2013
coogar:

be deceiving yourself....
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/feb/18/russell-group-universities-students-ambitions

..and that article was written by who? Anna Fazackerley, a graduate of Manchester university, the same university you think its not a good university and she works for one of the best newspaper company in the UK if not in the world

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by coogar: 11:55am On Dec 07, 2013
justwise:

..and that article was written by who? Anna Fazackerley a graduate of Manchester university, the same university you think its not a good university and she works for one of the best newspaper company in the UK if not in the world

who said manchester uni isn't a good school? i went to manchester uni myself & it's one of the 24 schools in the russell-group. are we on the same page here?

manchester uni is a top top school

miz Gene: @ coogar I still stand by what I said, for example a grad of Cranfield or RGU going for an interview against a Russell grp grad for a petro engineering company position, forget any edge u think u hv! It all boils down to d industry and d schools dt hv strong departments in that area of expertise.

a chemical engineering graduate from imperial college with the same grade would beat the cranfield graduate to the job 9 out of 10 times. forget story - the class system exists here. check the endowments given to each school by the government & the trust funds then maybe you would understand.

imperial college got £765m as far back as 2012 while coventry got £1.5m - of course, the employers know the students of imperial are well funded to carry out research while coventry students can only watch on DVDs in the classrooms.

And I'll say it again, Nija employers dnt give a hoot where u finished from as of now. Maybe in future when most of the employers themselves are foreign trained dt cd happen.....even in that 'future ' if der will be any discrimination, it will come from d Unis dt hv the most grads in top positions here.

i take it that you have not been to nigeria in the last 3 years. times have changed!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 11:59am On Dec 07, 2013
No point in carrying on this argument...
Time to give it a rest.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:01pm On Dec 07, 2013
coogar:

who said manchester uni isn't a good school? i went to manchester uni myself & it's one of the 24 schools in the russell-group. are we on the same page here?

manchester uni is a top top school -

Sorry i misunderstood your reply to adaobi123, got that now.

That apart, your argument about russel group is bias and purely because you attended one of those schools so i don't expect anything different from you.

russel group graduates are the same people who screwed up the economy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by coogar: 12:06pm On Dec 07, 2013
justwise:

Sorry i misunderstood your reply to adaobi123, got that now.

That apart, your argument about russel group is bias and purely because you attended one of those schools so i don't expect anything different from you.

russel group graduates are the same people who screwed up the economy

yes, they are.....
and they have not been replaced by the other divide so why not join the reigning crew instead of pitching tents with the crew that are not part of the decision makers in the country.

i will rather wait 3 years at home to get into a russell group school than go elsewhere. the rewards are unlimited home & away. i like to be treated as the main priority not some second fiddle.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.