Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:44 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (811744 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 5:41pm On Dec 17, 2013
negal: Hii, pls I need help with getting accomodation @ oxford brookes dis january for my post graduate studies the accomodation I was offered is very high

Call the school and ask for a downloadable list of recommended housing agents/landlords- Call/email always ask for pcture or full term and conditions

or call the Student union, they will also point you in the right direction or link you up with other student looking for share

make sur eyou know where you lectures will be held- get a map and plan accordingly

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bunburized(f): 6:30am On Dec 18, 2013
Season greetings everyone. I am heading to Salford January.
Please I need advice on food stuffs to pack(considering the limited baggage weight allowance); where to get winter clothings in Lagos; pounds sterling I should take along to cover emergencies when travelling; if I should just stick to using my Nigeria bank cards or open a Uk bank account; hw soon and easy I can open a bank account in the Uk if necessary and life generally in the Uk/Salford.
Any and all contributions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 8:01am On Dec 18, 2013
bunburized: Season greetings everyone. I am heading to Salford January.
Please I need advice on food stuffs to pack(considering the limited baggage weight allowance); where to get winter clothings in Lagos; pounds sterling I should take along to cover emergencies when travelling; if I should just stick to using my Nigeria bank cards or open a Uk bank account; hw soon and easy I can open a bank account in the Uk if necessary and life generally in the Uk/Salford.

Salford is part of Manchester so very many food shops / markets with good food.
Also good fair priced clothes shops.
Many "Charity shops with low priced used but good clothes.
Also look / ask for markets to get cheap warm clothing.
"Car boot sales" are a good place for cheap stuff, ask at school and someone will help you.

I know this is probably expensive but Nigerian resturaunt in Salford.
http://www.crystalloungemanchester.com/

Afro caribbean food shop
https://plus.google.com/104092004834550261205/about?hl=en
These are just the first two that I found!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 4:19pm On Dec 18, 2013
bunburized: Season greetings everyone. I am heading to Salford January.

On food stuff, I didn't pack any cos of the baggage allowance thing but find out about how to specifically package African foodstuffs in line with UKBA requirements and be prepared to pay extra for your luggage
I take it you already have school accommodation and thus will be able to cook what you are used to once you arrive unless you are a big fan of British cuisine wink wink
Yaba but especially behind Mandilas in Lagos Island is where you can get winter clothing [both used and new(made in China)],IMHO high grade used is better cool cool
Very essential as its very chilly and wintry in the UK now
Also get a raincoat as the North West where Manchester is located is very rainy, please confirm from others
Definitely bring some pounds as you'll need it to run around as you try to settle in
Nigerian cards work great here [recall say pounds is flirting with the 270 naira mark now embarassed embarassed so plan your money well]
Never had issues with 'em save for the day I arrived only to learn later GTB's network palava caused it
I use both Mastercard and Visa here cheesy cheesy cheesy
Its very easy to open an account here and necessary [abi you no wan do online shopping and that kain tin grin grin]
Your school will help out with an introductory letter to your chosen bank
Many African students I know use Lloyd’s or Barclay's but if you choose a different one not HSBC
Just withdraw from your Naija account and deposit in your student account here, that's what I do though grin grin
You could find out before you come [and do post your findings for us too kiss kiss] what the daily limit on your ATM card is
I used to think it was 150,000 but a class mate withdrew 630 pounds [almost 170000] a week back undecided undecided
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 5:02pm On Dec 18, 2013
Raincoat?? what are you, a pensioner? cheesy

I'll be suspicious of anyone wearing a raincoat in 2013 esp when you're not in a stadium or watching wimbledon lol

reminds me of my primary school days, I had the yellow one that wont stop leaking

An umbrella would do surely
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lepasharon(f): 5:15pm On Dec 18, 2013
@ bunburized open a santander student account and get a free railcard.. cool
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by xteeeee(m): 8:48pm On Dec 18, 2013
The exchange rate this days is becoming too high oo, pounds malam told me 280 while dollar 172, pls who has an idea of how to get F currency for less. Secondly hope @ PoE no extra question than the basic one I shld expect... Thirdly I will be heading to Anglia Ruskin uni by January, I need a general info abt life in Essex thanks #landers
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 735i(m): 9:57pm On Dec 18, 2013
xteeeee: The exchange rate this days is becoming too high oo, pounds malam told me 280 while dollar 172, pls who has an idea of how to get F currency for less. Secondly hope @ PoE no extra question than the basic one I shld expect... Thirdly I will be heading to Anglia Ruskin uni by January, I need a general info abt life in Essex thanks #landers

Look for bebe on Nairaland.
have used her to exchange money at a rate cheaper than what you would get from the mallams. i think some people here have also used her.

N.B; this is my personal suggestion.....hope you catch my drift?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mayo47(m): 10:33pm On Dec 18, 2013
xteeeee: The exchange rate this days is becoming too high oo, pounds malam told me 280 while dollar 172, pls who has an idea of how to get F currency for less. Secondly hope @ PoE no extra question than the basic one I shld expect... Thirdly I will be heading to Anglia Ruskin uni by January, I need a general info abt life in Essex thanks #landers

Life in Essex is very boring but hmm Chelmsford is quite ok. Chelsmford just 20 mins by train from London Liverpool street, so u can easily pop in to London.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 9:08pm On Dec 19, 2013
hi guys, i want to pay my fees tomorrow. do u guys know d current rates now. i have firstbank and gtb mastercards. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bunburized(f): 11:28pm On Dec 19, 2013
Please, I read on the emirates airline website their baggage allowance is 30kg.
This seem rather small compared to my younger sister that was allowed 2 bags of 23kg each(46kg in total) on Lufthansa when she was travelling to Hungary.
Any idea if this weight is strictly enforced? I will appreciate comments from anyone that have flown qatar or emirates as they both have 30kg as baggage allowance.
I will be flying to Manchester direct and my clothes alone will best the 30kg.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 12:29am On Dec 20, 2013
bunburized: Please, I read on the emirates airline website their baggage allowance is 30kg.
This seem rather small compared to my younger sister that was allowed 2 bags of 23kg each(46kg in total) on Lufthansa when she was travelling to Hungary.
Any idea if this weight is strictly enforced? I will appreciate comments from anyone that have flown qatar or emirates as they both have 30kg as baggage allowance.

grin grin grin

you can always try Lufthansa
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 9:17am On Dec 20, 2013
bunburized: Please, I read on the emirates airline website their baggage allowance is 30kg.

Strictly enforced. 30kg maximum allowance. 1 KG extra is 35GBP per kg. So assume you have 30 extra kgs, that would be 30kg * 35GBP = 1050GBP
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bunburized(f): 2:14pm On Dec 20, 2013
Dis Guy:

grin grin grin

you can always try Lufthansa
Their fare is like N140,000 higher.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 2:19pm On Dec 20, 2013
bunburized:
Their fare is like N140,000 higher.

do you really need all those clothes, you'd get better stuff anyway

KLM is cheap in January

Arik has generous allowance but not 100% reliable
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 2:36pm On Dec 20, 2013
spikes C: hi guys, i want to pay my fees tomorrow. do u guys know d current rates now. i have firstbank and gtb mastercards. Thanks
I don't know the current rate but don't even think twice: USE FIRST BANK. It's rate is far cheaper than GTB.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 4:54pm On Dec 20, 2013
Don Oms:
I don't know the current rate but don't even think twice: USE FIRST BANK. It's rate is far cheaper than GTB.

Used firstbank to make a part payment today, 273 angry angry cry cry cry
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 8:00pm On Dec 20, 2013
Don Oms:
[quote author=Don Oms]
I found out d rate u get is controlled by d card issuer (Mastercard) not d bank. So whether 1st or GT bank, rate is gon b same.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bunburized(f): 7:45am On Dec 21, 2013
lepasharon: @ bunburized open a santander student account and get a free railcard.. cool
How do I go about doing this? I can see that the only open available to me is the international student account. There seem to be a £5 monthly account fee(not cool for a hustling student). Is this a regular account cause it seem the rail card is applicable only to a student account. What are the advantages aside the rail card?
I really need you to throw light on this.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 1:32pm On Dec 21, 2013
Dis Guy: Raincoat?? what are you, a pensioner? cheesy
I'll be suspicious of anyone wearing a raincoat in 2013 esp when you're not in a stadium or watching wimbledon lol
reminds me of my primary school days, I had the yellow one that wont stop leaking
An umbrella would do surely
I'm no pensioner ,professor Einstein cool cool
It is rather disingenuous to ascribe wearing of rain coats/rain jackets to pensioners cos I see young and old don it over here tongue tongue
Umbrellas yes, but not with the gale winds blowing over England nowadays or when you have to do walks of 15-20 mins about town kiss kiss
And who says it has to be like those yellow LASTMA thick types undecided undecided
However as in life, you are free to make your choice on so many things
Peace

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 2:29pm On Dec 21, 2013
spikes C: hi guys, i want to pay my fees tomorrow. do u guys know d current rates now. i have firstbank and gtb mastercards. Thanks

spikes C:

miz Gene: I found out d rate u get is controlled by d card issuer (Mastercard) not d bank. So whether 1st or GT bank, rate is gon b same.

To say the least, I am surprised. Firstly, other people reported here that FirstBank offers lower rates (you can check earlier posts). Secondly, a friend of mine in Nigeria also confirmed FB's rate as #252/£ on Dec 19. And I had used my GTB Mastercard last week and had to use a rate of #270.5/£ over a £2300 transaction. So, to say the least, I am made to believe GTB was getting it wrong somewhere.

But now that Miz Gene found out it may be Mastercard (as quoted above), then that theory may have explained it. So I just took the initiative to call GTB and they confirmed that Mastercard decides the rate. So, without doubt, same will be for FirstBank Mastercard.

spikes C, I'm sorry about the misinformation earlier.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 9:30pm On Dec 21, 2013
Don Oms:
To say the least, I am surprised. Firstly, other people reported here that FirstBank offers lower rates (you can check earlier posts). Secondly, a friend of mine in Nigeria also confirmed FB's rate as #252/£ on Dec 19. And I had used my GTB Mastercard last week and had to use a rate of #270.5/£ over a £2300 transaction. So, to say the least, I am made to believe GTB was getting it wrong somewhere.

But now that Miz Gene found out it may be Mastercard (as quoted above), then that theory may have explained it. So I just took the initiative to call GTB and they confirmed that Mastercard decides the rate. So, without doubt, same will be for FirstBank Mastercard.

spikes C, I'm sorry about the misinformation earlier.

Oh so you too have finally debunked that First Bank is cheaper myth and realized that its bull sh*t? kiss kiss
Too bad that spikes made transactions based on that cry cry
In retrospect it was the below poster who kindled d rumour though I must say a classmate told me say too
And I almost booked a flight to do some desk clearing in Naija but emptying my cash accounts for a new First Bank account would have been a strong motive too
fckyourman:
GT banks rates are higher. They use thier own rate. First bank , all those first generation banks are given prioty in the exchange rate. That why thier rates are Low compare to others.
My last GTB transaction was 266
Firstbank 256

Like Spikes , I too made a transaction yesterday but it was for
spikes C:
271.02 on my GTB Mastercard grin grin grin
Yet before withdrawal, my account balance which reflected both naira and pound equivalents pointed me a rate of 262.27 [by my rough calculations]
262 ke?...I rushed to withdraw only to cringe when GTB sent me my acct balance
So my premise is that Mastercard charged me a commission of 8.75 naira for every pound I withdrew shocked shocked
However my rule of thumb [which I jettisoned yesterday due to the late hour I went to withdraw] is this
Call your Aboki, BDC, currency dealer in Naija to ask how much do they currently sell pounds
The black market/BDC rates are VERY close to that of Mastercard/Visa charges over here when you withdraw wink wink wink
And allows you decide beforehand whether to withdraw or not especially when its not an urgent cash emergency cool cool
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 9:49pm On Dec 21, 2013
ochukoccna:
I'm no pensioner ,professor Einstein cool cool
It is rather disingenuous to ascribe wearing of rain coats/rain jackets to pensioners cos I see young and old don it over here tongue tongue
Umbrellas yes, but not with the gale winds blowing over England nowadays or when you have to do walks of 15-20 mins about town kiss kiss
And who says it has to be like those yellow LASTMA thick types undecided undecided
However as in life, you are free to make your choice on so many things
Peace

so how do you wear it hombre? considering you will be wearing a jacket already
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 12:49am On Dec 22, 2013
ochukoccna:

Oh so you too have finally debunked that First Bank is cheaper myth and realized that its bull sh*t? kiss kiss
Too bad that spikes made transactions based on that cry cry
In retrospect it was the below poster who kindled d rumour though I must say a classmate told me say too
And I almost booked a flight to do some desk clearing in Naija but emptying my cash accounts for a new First Bank account would have been a strong motive too

Like Spikes , I too made a transaction yesterday but it was for 271.02 on my GTB Mastercard grin grin grin
Yet before withdrawal, my account balance which reflected both naira and pound equivalents pointed me a rate of 262.27 [by my rough calculations]
262 ke?...I rushed to withdraw only to cringe when GTB sent me my acct balance
So my premise is that Mastercard charged me a commission of 8.75 naira for every pound I withdrew shocked shocked
However my rule of thumb [which I jettisoned yesterday due to the late hour I went to withdraw] is this
Call your Aboki, BDC, currency dealer in Naija to ask how much do they currently sell pounds
The black market/BDC rates are VERY close to that of Mastercard/Visa charges over here when you withdraw wink wink wink
And allows you decide beforehand whether to withdraw or not especially when its not an urgent cash emergency cool cool

My brother... As a matter of fact, all these banks and Mastercard issue can be frustrating. Imagine a payment (£2300) I ought to have made since October at #265/£ but decided to leave it till December as I researched and found out the rates are better. On making the transaction last week, the rate was #270.5 per pound. I just had to move on without regrets.
Enough of the rate palava... How are you and how's studies? And the weather? I saw your funny raincoat post.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bebe2(f): 1:23am On Dec 22, 2013
Don Oms:

My brother... As a matter of fact, all these banks and Mastercard issue can be frustrating. Imagine a payment (£2300) I ought to have made since October at #265/£ but decided to leave it till December as I researched and found out the rates are better. On making the transaction last week, the rate was #270.5 per pound. I just had to move on without regrets.
Enough of the rate palava... How are you and how's studies? And the weather? I saw your funny raincoat post.

even black market was 270 last week. although i did 268 for my aboki, then someone came here to say rate is 280. i almost ate him raw, was very angry wit him.

let hope it comes down becos its getting ridiculous undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 4:14am On Dec 22, 2013
bebe2:

even black market was 270 last week. although i did 268 for my aboki, then someone came here to say rate is 280. i almost ate him raw, was very angry wit him.

lol, yeah, i changed 280 tongue
it was fun changing it grin

but these idiotas took 273 angry
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 4:14am On Dec 22, 2013
Don Oms:

No mind the raincoat post jare! grin grin
Dis Guy just dey catch hin fun smiley smiley
How your end?
You just disappear like that, e no good undecided
Shebi na you dey do yanga for UKBA interview in Naija with big grammar to scatter the interviewer's mind?
Why are you now moaning?
So academics fit shake you like this?
God don catch you tongue tongue tongue tongue
The weather na die yet snow never drop
Hmmn!
We go overcome na cos Naija no dey carry last
This rate thing tire me too
I expected it around 258 - 262 for now but the dude keeps showing off new climbing skills
Where's BH when you need them to shoot down Mr Exchange rate? grin grin
Instead of the innocents they daily murder cry cry

bebe2:
No be only you wan skin am cos my heart skipped a beat when I saw 280 too
It is killing cos my school fees and living expenses estimate were forecast using an anticipated max of N260 cry cry
CBN's new September forex policy distorted market equilibrium and drove it to 267-269 as I left Naija yet it seems it will only climb higher cos of 2014 politicking against 2015 , our import dependency culture and the oil mono-economy we run not forgetting Authority Stealing tins angry angry
And some people keep lying Naija's economy has healthy indices embarassed embarassed undecided
Crazy!

Dis Guy:
so how do you wear it hombre? considering you will be wearing a jacket already
If you need one, I'll send it across cool
If you don't continue enjoying your 'umblerra' wink

In other news,
PEJ really don go underground away from the public eye
Chei, no more bullets from her lips on live TV for now
Mama Peace, come back to national consciousness na! wink wink
We no go laff you like before kiss
Okay, we no go laff you too much cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 2:24pm On Dec 22, 2013
Dude is just trying to up his profit margin! cool cool
You'd probably have to call up the main banks in Naija to be conversant with their rates which changes ever so often kiss kiss
However, until a REAL GOVERNMENT tackles our import dependency culture , current oil mono-economy and graft,the Naira won't be any better than wiping off a$$es with cool cool

N:B
Your naija contacts should help you sample average black market rates
When my visa dropped,I went to GTB Opebi for BTA only to be directed to their in house Aboki shocked shocked who quoted me 270-1 for £1 but eventually I did it for 267 same day through my local Aboki wink wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.