Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,523 members, 7,819,883 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (58) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (811822 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DonOms(m): 10:00pm On Dec 22, 2013
ochukoccna:

No mind the raincoat post jare! grin grin
Dis Guy just dey catch hin fun smiley smiley
How your end?
You just disappear like that, e no good undecided
Shebi na you dey do yanga for UKBA interview in Naija with big grammar to scatter the interviewer's mind?
Why are you now moaning?
So academics fit shake you like this?
God don catch you tongue tongue tongue tongue
The weather na die yet snow never drop
Hmmn!
We go overcome na cos Naija no dey carry last
This rate thing tire me too
I expected it around 258 - 262 for now but the dude keeps showing off new climbing skills
Where's BH when you need them to shoot down Mr Exchange rate? grin grin
Instead of the innocents they daily murder cry cry
lol... Actually, me I'm no bookwarm o. Academics does not shake me o, when I'm no Einstein. I have been very regular on the other thread (Visa application) trying to help others too, but I don't post on this thread though I visit it regularly too.
As for the cold, na indoors things o. But honestly, it's not that cold yet. From the gists I've been told, this ain't no cold until January perhaps. Coincidentally, it'll be my exams in January.... I know God exists grin.
Don't mind the rate jare. God is bigger than Mr Exchange Rate!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SupermodelVicky(f): 2:20pm On Dec 24, 2013
PlsFolks;I don't Knw if I'm on d right thread but I believe I can get d help&response I need.

I&my Sister,we're supposed 2go 2UK 4my programme at University of Sunderland dis March.Who knws abt dis sch? How good is d sch cos frm wot I'v read on dis thread,som of dis schs aren't wot they portray on d net

My parents want us 2do al our research abt d sch thoroughly b4 they go ahead 2pay our tuition fee.

Pls I need genuine response.Thanx
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jaybee3(m): 2:21pm On Dec 24, 2013
SupermodelVicky: PlsFolks;I don't Knw if I'm on d right thread but I believe I can get d help&response I need.

I&my Sister,we're supposed 2go 2UK 4my programme at University of Sunderland dis March.Who knws abt dis sch? How good is d sch cos frm wot I'v read on dis thread,som of dis schs aren't wot they portray on d net

My parents want us 2do al our research abt d sch thoroughly b4 they go ahead 2pay our tuition fee.

what course?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SupermodelVicky(f): 2:35pm On Dec 24, 2013
jay bee:
what course?
My sister is going for Bsc nursing but I'm going 4Msc Geology
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jaybee3(m): 3:00pm On Dec 24, 2013
SupermodelVicky:

BSc Nursing
I don't think rating a nursing degree is necessary since students usually get much needed practical experience throughout the course. So long as the university is accredited then she is good to go

MSc Geology
Here is a league table for you to look at => http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=geology

As you can see, Sunderland is not on the list so my advice is for you to choose any other one from the list so as to increase your employability chance upon graduation

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SupermodelVicky(f): 3:13pm On Dec 24, 2013
jay bee:

BSc Nursing
I don't think rating a nursing degree is necessary since students usually get much needed practical experience throughout the course. So long as the university is accredited then she is good to go

MSc Geology
Here is a league table for you to look at => http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=geology

As you can see, Sunderland is not on the list so my advice is for you to choose any other one from the list so as to increase your employability chance upon graduation
Thanx.D info u gav is vry helpful but what I want 2knw is how good d sch is incase I decide 2choos another Msc programme.

2ndly,I don't knw how 2find out if d sch is accredited or not but based on ur scope of knowledge;whch sch is best 4Bsc nursing?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jaybee3(m): 3:30pm On Dec 24, 2013
SupermodelVicky:
Thanx.D info u gav is vry helpful but what I want 2knw is how good d sch is incase I decide 2choos another Msc programme.

2ndly,I don't knw how 2find out if d sch is accredited or not but based on ur scope of knowledge;whch sch is best 4Bsc nursing?
The school is certainly not the best but everything depends on the choice of course.

Here is the most recent ranking table for all UK universities => http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

Best uni for nursing => http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Nursing

Accredited universities by the geological society => http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/Education-and-Careers/Universities/Degree-Accreditation/First-Degree-Programmes-in-Geoscience/Currently-Accredited-First-Degree-Programmes
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 5:05pm On Dec 24, 2013
SupermodelVicky:

School IS accredited as "Highly trusted sponsor" on UKBA site
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 8:07pm On Dec 24, 2013
SupermodelVicky:
The only reason most international students choose to study in Sunderland is due to the low tuition fees, I know that because I have first-hand experience of that area. In my opinion, the only course Sunderland is good for is Pharmacy. I wouldn't advice anyone to study there...

If you do choose to study there, be prepared to face the most boring year or so of your life, you would almost get bored to death in that part of the country. That's besides the fact that a certificate from that school (with the exception of a 'Distinction' award) means Bleep-all in the UK labour market.

No good news from Sunderland!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bunburized(f): 1:32pm On Dec 25, 2013
My Dad just requested for the list of items I will need with respect to my trip to the UK so he can "bless" me. I told him after the Xmas.
Please I need the assistance of those who have gone through same process to know exactly what should be included in such a list.
The list should include what I need here in Nigeria before I leave and also what I will need in the UK.
My destination is Manchester/Salford.
Thanks in advance for all your inputs.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ubamu2029: 1:04am On Dec 26, 2013
SupermodelVicky:

Your sister will need to be a British citizen, or have indefinite leave to remain in the UK inorder to qualify to study nursing. BSc Nursing is funded by NHS so if she has no recourse to public funds, the possibility of getting admitted is zero.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbakacici: 6:34am On Dec 26, 2013
SupermodelVicky: PlsFolks;I don't Knw if I'm on d right thread but I believe I can get d help&response I need.

if you have a plan to stay in the uk, don't go to sunderland because the ranking is not that good, but the problem of going to top school is the tuition fees is very high, like the top 20 university have an average tuition fees of about 20,000 that is almost 3 times sunderland tuition fees. so if you are planing on coming back to nigeria, the university is ok
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 1:05pm On Dec 26, 2013
bunburized: My Dad just requested for the list of items I will need with respect to my trip to the UK so he can "bless" me. I told him after the Xmas.
Please I need the assistance of those who have gone through same process to know exactly what should be included in such a list.
The list should include what I need here in Nigeria before I leave and also what I will need in the UK.
My destination is Manchester/Salford.
Thanks in advance for all your inputs.

List ke?! undecided undecided
You must still be a daddy's girl O! shocked shocked
You need just 3 things in the UK
1] Money! kiss
2] Money!! cheesy
3] Money!!! tongue
Well, maybe the Naija sisters can help you out in this your list request
But really what you need IMHO is readily available funds to live without hassle wink wink
Can you dad release all or most of your living expenses to you at once? undecided
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SupermodelVicky(f): 7:19pm On Dec 26, 2013
@abbakacici @ubamu2029 @claremont
@worry 359 @jay bee
Thanx a lot Yo"all 4ur responses.
U'r al darlings
I'm blowing Yo"all kisses.Receive it thru d Wind.
Merry Christmas.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SupermodelVicky(f): 7:31pm On Dec 26, 2013
claremont:
The only reason most international students choose to study in Sunderland is due to the low tuition fees, I know that because I have first-hand experience of that area. In my opinion, the only course Sunderland is good for is Pharmacy. I wouldn't advice anyone to study there...

If you do choose to study there, be prepared to face the most boring year or so of your life, you would almost get bored to death in that part of the country. That's besides the fact that a certificate from that school (with the exception of a 'Distinction' award) means Bleep-all in the UK labour market.

No good news from Sunderland!
Oh my gush! Thanx 4dis info.I'm so showing dis 2my sis&my parents.I hope it changes their minds.Moreova I so don't need any boredom in my life cos Naija is fun enuf 4me so If I'm leavin here;I must b leavin 4a better place.

I don't fancy paying cheap 4anythng cos my pop always say dat cheap thngs are either fake or Inferior (that's his philosophy) &dats y he said we shld do our research vry well cos he doesn't want anybody droppin off half way 4any lame reason.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SupermodelVicky(f): 7:40pm On Dec 26, 2013
ubamu2029:

Your sister will need to be a British citizen, or have indefinite leave to remain in the UK inorder to qualify to study nursing. BSc Nursing is funded by NHS so if she has no recourse to public funds, the possibility of getting admitted
is zero.
They hav already sent her admission letter.
Tuition fee is 8500 pounds.

I myself was routing 4USA/Canada 4my Msc but my peeps want us 2b 2geda 4moral support&sh*it lik I need a baby sitter.
So I hav 2start searchin.
#longangryhiss
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 8:49pm On Dec 26, 2013
SupermodelVicky:
I myself was routing 4USA/Canada 4my Msc but my peeps want us 2b 2geda 4moral support&sh*it lik I need a baby sitter.
Don't get all pumped and puffed up wanting to live and study apart from your sibling
This land is damn LONELY and understanding the landscape takes a while
You just do not realise how precious it is to have someone who speaks your language ,understands your mindset, is not trying to impress you nor a new friend who is really a green snake under the green grass undecided undecided
You will appreciate their decision with time trust me kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:44am On Dec 27, 2013
ochukoccna:
Don't get all pumped and puffed up wanting to live and study apart from your sibling
This land is damn LONELY and understanding the landscape takes a while
You just do not realise how precious it is to have someone who speaks your language ,understands your mindset, is not trying to impress you nor a new friend who is really a green snake under the green grass undecided undecided
You will appreciate their decision with time trust me kiss kiss

If you are a lively character you find fun in a boring city, there are far too many to do as a student to keep you busy year round.

Leave your comfort zone!!!! be flexible, you don't have to hang around Nigerians, eat Nigerian food, attend Nigerian church and party with Nigerians to feel at home here. Volunteer, join social group... in the UK if you kept yourself to yourself they will leave you for yourself.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mukykaffe: 8:12am On Dec 27, 2013
good day to ya all. pls my question goes like this do uk embassy accept a pounds account.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:25am On Dec 27, 2013
mukykaffe: good day to ya all. pls my question goes like this do uk embassy accept a pounds account.

You mean domiciliary account?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 12:16pm On Dec 27, 2013
mukykaffe: good day to ya all. pls my question goes like this do uk embassy accept a pounds account.
I believe you mean a domiciliary account as Justwise asked
I recall a chap during the Sept/Oct school session who said he used such and got his Tier 4 entry
Howevr your questions are better answered here https://www.nairaland.com/826936/uk-student-visa-tier-4

justwise:

If you are a lively character you find fun in a boring city, there are far too many to do as a student to keep you busy year round.
Leave your comfort zone!!!! be flexible, you don't have to hang around Nigerians, eat Nigerian food, attend Nigerian church and party with Nigerians to feel at home here. Volunteer, join social group... in the UK if you kept yourself to yourself they will leave you for yourself.
Oga Justy, I agree with most of the above and even am fine tuning the process of volunteering
While I may not have mentioned it, it was Nigerians [esp fresh out of Naija] I alluding to in my 'green snake under the green grass' quote earlier
But biko, I don't have to eat Nigerian food ke! shocked shocked
Apart from bread and toast which I find passable, I have not had pleasurable moments with British cuisine tongue tongue
I still recall the 'horror' of my first days here and the many meals I had to thrash because it just did not flow grin grin
So please recommend and let us try it out cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 7:19pm On Dec 27, 2013
^^ the brits themselves like many others have adopted foreign cuisine, plenty of Indian, Chinese, Greek, African food around

@Vicky

It's not too late to try out US/Canadian universities, plenty of fun to be had there, not as conservative as the British society
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:20am On Dec 28, 2013
Adaobi last posted on Dec 09 2013,Hope she's okay?Can someone PM her?Being following this section for a long time and i have gained alot,kudos to you all,my first post here though...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:12am On Dec 28, 2013
Dream come 2ru: Adaobi last posted on Dec 09 2013,Hope she's okay?Can someone PM her?Being following this section for a long time and i have gained alot,kudos to you all,my first post here though...

I'm here wink
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 11:06am On Dec 28, 2013
adaobi123:

I'm here wink

how's Enugu tongue
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:09am On Dec 28, 2013
adaobi123:

I'm here wink
Thank goodness for you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SupermodelVicky(f): 9:00pm On Dec 28, 2013
Dis Guy: ^^
@Vicky

It's not too late to try out US/Canadian universities, plenty of fun to be had there, not as conservative as the British society
True talk.Keepin my fingers crossed
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by SaucyDolph(f): 9:55am On Dec 30, 2013
Hey everyone. Good day. Please I need your suggestion and help. I want to book a hotel in Manchester. I guess some of you must have done that before coming to UK.I want to book it along Oxford road, Manchester or anyone close to University of Manchester. Please what are the criteria to look for when booking a room and if anybody knows any good one around, please suggest. Want to book it for May(14th-30th).
Really appreciate your help.
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.