Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,486 members, 7,850,674 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:06 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (815951 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ocheejemb: 11:23pm On Aug 07, 2014
3sha4lyf:
If going with arikair, get a return ticket or don't bother.

Other airlines may overlook it but sometimes first timers or ppl r usually asked for their return tickets at the point of entry and if you cannot produce it, den u'll return to Naija free of charge immediately, if u see what I mean.

Just for curiosity sake, pls why would u wanna buy a one-way ticket when it's as expensive as, if not more than, buying a return ticket?
You can just get a return ticket for return in, say, 1 year time so that by the next year, of u wanna travel, u use it or if you'll rather change the date to a later date, you pay change-of-date fee and use it.

Not necessarily true, Emirates and Qatar have really cheap one way tickets if you don't mind the long haul flight, meanwhile BA and KLM will nearly cut your throat with thier return prices, which you are almost guaranteed to keep on changing. Also, if you do get a return, make sure its one that can be cahanged. Use wakanow or something to check the prices.

Olola15: I just got my visa and am planning to come into Uk on Monday.Somebody mentioned to me that i have to get a return ticket. How thru is this as my plan is to get a one way ticket.
you have to make sure you are buying a ticket that can be changed, as not all return tickets can be.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 6:12am On Aug 08, 2014
ocheejemb:

Not necessarily true, Emirates and Qatar have really cheap one way tickets if you don't mind the long haul flight, meanwhile BA and KLM will nearly cut your throat with thier return prices, which you are almost guaranteed to keep on changing. Also, if you do get a return, make sure its one that can be cahanged. Use wakanow or something to check the prices.

you have to make sure you are buying a ticket that can be changed, as not all return tickets can be.

Okies, so here's what I mean. And this us from emirates.
A return trip from Lagos, Nigeria to the uk, depart on Saturday 9 august, 2014, return 22 Dec, 2014 starts from $1780.10 .

Returning on 30th April, 2015 starts from $3054.00

However, a one-way from Lagos, Nigeria to London, UK departing same 9th of August, 2014 starts from $1175 and getting a return leg for the same 22 Dec, 2014 starts from £785.44 which is equivalent to approx. $1323 (at today's Forex rates) if booking today, as prices may inconsiderately rise during the festive season.

So in the long run, return may appear cheaper to some if all you need is a change of date fee (and any difference in flight fares ; this can be avoided if you do d change in time) and get on the plane.

But then of course, money is a factor here. If you can't get completely money for a full fare, then painfully, one way can help.

Hope this explains better.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by frostmate: 11:33am On Aug 08, 2014
On the return ticket issue, you might as well buy the return ticket if money is not an issue. Some return tickets can be even cheaper than one way. You will have to search and compare to see which is best for you. If you have plans to come back to Nigeria during the Easter or summer break, the return ticket will work out well for you.

However some of these one way tickets can be obtained at ridiculously very cheap prices depending on the time of the year.

I also concur about not being able to modify some return tickets. You'll have to verify if its the modifiable one when buying it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Aug 08, 2014
Can anyone recommend a good laptop for university, I just wanna be using it for coursework, watching tv shows and with a decent battery life.

None of those £1000+ ones, my money ain't growing on trees yet.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olola15(m): 12:36pm On Aug 08, 2014
I realy appreciate alll your contributions on this topic.

Sequel to all your contributions, I am now trying to book a return ticket scheduled to leave Nigeria on the 14th of August and return on June 30th 2015, buh its really spooking me.

I will need all your help. I dont mind any flight nor any number/hours of stopover. Am on a tight budget, just any flight that will take me from Lagos to Heathrow in one piece.

Any suggestions?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 08, 2014
Olola15: I realy appreciate alll your contributions on this topic.

Sequel to all your contributions, I am now trying to book a return ticket scheduled to leave Nigeria on the 14th of August and return on June 30th 2015, buh its really spooking me.

I will need all your help. I dont mind any flight nor any number/hours of stopover. Am on a tight budget, just any flight that will take me from Lagos to Heathrow in one piece.

Any suggestions?

Whats your budget like ?

You can try airlines like turkish airlines, air italia, klm, lufthansa, air moroc, Egypt air, Emirates
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:41pm On Aug 08, 2014
adaobi123: Can anyone recommend a good laptop for university, I just wanna be using it for coursework, watching tv shows and with a decent battery life.

Whats your budget?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Aug 08, 2014
justwise:

Whats your budget?

Under £600
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:47pm On Aug 08, 2014
adaobi123:

Under £600

Then you got no prob getting a good laptop for course work, 15.00 inch for tv or movie and with loads of storage space.

Log in to Argos and see range of good laptops within your spec for less than £500.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olola15(m): 12:48pm On Aug 08, 2014
adaobi123:
Whats your budget like ?
You can try airlines like turkish airlines, air italia, klm, lufthansa, air moroc, Egypt air, Emirates

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by frostmate: 12:49pm On Aug 08, 2014
You should be able to get laptaps under 600 from curries/pc world Argos. Also check Dell's UK website, you can get units under 600 that will suit your needs.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 08, 2014
justwise:

Then you got no prob getting a good laptop for course work, 15.00 inch for tv or movie and with loads of storage space.

Log in to Argos and see range of good laptops within your spec for less than £500.

frostmate: You should be able to get laptaps under 600 from curries/pc world Argos. Also check Dell's UK website, you can get units under 600 that will suit your needs.

okay. Thanks smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by frostmate: 12:55pm On Aug 08, 2014
Olola15:

Sir, try Egypt airlines, maroc air, air France/klm, Lufthansa. You can compare prices on opodo website. But don't bother buying from there, return tickets cannot be modified from experience and also failed online transactions.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bokoslayer: 12:57pm On Aug 08, 2014
adaobi123: Can anyone recommend a good laptop for university, I just wanna be using it for coursework, watching tv shows and with a decent battery life.

You might want to go for one of Acer Aspire models - they have 8 hours' battery life. They are quite cheap as well, check on pcworld
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Aug 08, 2014
Olola15:

You're budget is fine. Just book from an airline of your choice.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Aug 08, 2014
bokoslayer:

You might want to go for one of Acer Aspire models - they have 8 hours' battery life. They are quite cheap as well, check on pcworld

Tenks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by frostmate: 1:00pm On Aug 08, 2014
adaobi123:

okay. Thanks smiley

welcome
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 1:13pm On Aug 08, 2014
bokoslayer:

Get one of those cheap Hewlett Packard ones (brand new not more than £400),would serve your purpose nicely. argos, curry's, Amazon have loads in stock.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by 3sha4lyf: 1:17pm On Aug 08, 2014
Olola15:

To be on the safe side, buy directly from the airline; be it air France, Ethiopian air, (pls avoid arik, they are horrible at giving you a nice travel-abroad experience, should you be traveling to uk god the first time).

I find that though agents may be cheaper, if anything happens, eg you have to make a sudden change, it can only be find by your agent and you'll spend more money trying to get them to do it. That's my personal finding.

My quote from my last comment was wgat I found on Emirates as the previous poster suggested.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tshegs19: 1:37pm On Aug 08, 2014
adaobi123:

Hertfordshire is a good university but the area is pretty crappy tbh.
LoL. I know, my aunt 'n fam reside in stevenage, so I dnt hv a choice (accommodation ish). I want to apply for Data Comm. & Networks MSc in the Uni. Checking the entry requirements, Is there any need for Nigerian students to take the IELTS test ?

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 2:09pm On Aug 08, 2014
adaobi123:

Under £600
Apart from price, what other factors are in your thinking?
I take it you are going to use your laptop for your uni duration so personally I'd recommend an Intel 4th generation i5 processor laptop because new software always comes out and needs recent tech to function properly. So 'future proof' your gadgets as much as your wallet can afford it
That been said, factor in hard disk space size, memory, decent battery life , screen size etc.
2 tips (1) Never buy a laptop based on the name. look at the specs (or get someone who understands it to explain to you
(2) Never buy based on price without understanding the specs lest you get another expensive (or cheap) shiny toy.
Cheers! kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:25pm On Aug 08, 2014
Shiny toys cool
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 08, 2014
ochukoccna:
Apart from price, what other factors are in your thinking?
I take it you are going to use your laptop for your uni duration so personally I'd recommend an Intel 4th generation i5 processor laptop because new software always comes out and needs recent tech to function properly. So 'future proof' your gadgets as much as your wallet can afford it
That been said, factor in hard disk space size, memory, decent battery life , screen size etc.
2 tips (1) Never buy a laptop based on the name. look at the specs (or get someone who understands it to explain to you
(2) Never buy based on price without understanding the specs lest you get another expensive (or cheap) shiny toy.
Cheers! kiss kiss

lol thanks ochukoccna smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 08, 2014
tshegs19: LoL. I know, my aunt 'n fam reside in stevenage, so I dnt hv a choice (accommodation ish). I want to apply for Data Comm. & Networks MSc in the Uni. Checking the entry requirements, Is there any need for Nigerian students to take the IELTS test ?

Justwise

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:03pm On Aug 08, 2014
tshegs19: LoL. I know, my aunt 'n fam reside in stevenage, so I dnt hv a choice (accommodation ish). I want to apply for Data Comm. & Networks MSc in the Uni. Checking the entry requirements, Is there any need for Nigerian students to take the IELTS test ?

Your school will tell you that after going through your application.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 5:19pm On Aug 08, 2014

This is what you need:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-17-e153sa-17-3-laptop-21865580-pdt.html
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tshegs19: 6:09pm On Aug 08, 2014
justwise: [/b]

Your school will tell you that after going through your application.
Thank yu sir.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Aug 08, 2014
LabourParty:

This is what you need:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-17-e153sa-17-3-laptop-21865580-pdt.html

Thanks. I was considering on getting a hp laptop
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 8:00pm On Aug 08, 2014
adaobi123:
lol thanks ochukoccna smiley
You are welcome

spikesC: Shiny toys cool
Spikes!
Na wetin she fit afford na grin grin
No tempt her with i7 4700 lappy range cool

LabourParty:
This is what you need:
I did a quick check on the PC World website and the above posted by LabourParty seems to be the best that fits Ada's 600 quid max budget range
It has a i5 4th gen 4200M processor which is better that the i5 4th gen 4200U many laptops at that price range offer though it ships with the slower 5400rpm hard drives embarassed
But its 1TB size along with 8GB ram should get her through uni though wink
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 8:10pm On Aug 08, 2014
ochukoccna:
I did a quick check on the PC World website and the above posted by LabourParty seems to be the best that fits Ada's 600 quid max budget range
It has a i5 4th gen 4200M processor which is better that the i5 4th gen 4200U many laptops at that price range offer though it ships with the slower 5400rpm hard drives embarassed
But its 1TB size along with 8GB ram should get her through uni though wink

But all that ONLY MATTERS if you want to play the latest games of edit huge video files!!!!
Or you want to show off to your nerd friends.

If she just wants to do word processing and internet then a cheaper / older model will be fine.
Shee does not need the latest generation processer, the older ones will not be outdated with the software that she wants to run.
The money would be better spent getting a computer bundled with Microsoft office, which will be perfect for a student.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 8:27pm On Aug 08, 2014
worry359:

But all that ONLY MATTERS if you want to play the latest games of edit huge video files!!!!
Or you want to show off to your nerd friends.

If she just wants to do word processing and internet then a cheaper / older model will be fine.
Shee does not need the latest generation processer, the older ones will not be outdated with the software that she wants to run.
The money would be better spent getting a computer bundled with Microsoft office, which will be perfect for a student.

Well, I wasn't the recommender but concurred with LabourParty's recommendation kiss kiss
And don't forget people her age range are the most active down loaders
Be that as it may, 3-4 years is a long time in the ICT world especially with resource hogging shocked shocked Microsoft Windows releases
Next time you boot Windows 8.1, check and see it takes up about 3GB RAM upon booting embarassed
With under 50 quid and her student ID, Office 365 would appear on her system seeing freebies like Libre Office, Apache Office and the like won't figure in her plans
If she was to run open source like Linux (which I doubt) an old system is good to go wink
But hey, we are talking about Ada here undecided undecided
Adaobi, no offense O! kiss kiss
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Aug 08, 2014
undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (213) (Reply)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.