Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,614 members, 7,827,312 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:27 AM

Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion (8744 Views)

Obanikoro Sues Sahara Reporters, Premium Times & Punch Newspapers / Nigeria Woman Sues New York City For $900 Trillion / Naija Mother Sues City For $900 Trillion–yes, Trillion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by silami(m): 2:21am On Feb 09, 2012
A Staten Island mom is making national headlines today after suing the city of West Brighton for $900 trillion, alleging the city improperly placed her two children in foster care.

The $900 trillion figure, first reported by the New York Post, certainly is staggering and the standard response so far has been to treat the lawsuit as something of a joke, focusing on the mother's alleged mental illness.

But I have to agree with the Inquisitr's Kim LaCapria, who says plaintiff Fausat Ogunbayo is actually quite clever in choosing to sue for $900 trillion. After all, how many people would be reading about this story and discussing Ogunbayo's plight had she quietly filed her petition without seeking monetary compensation?

Of course there's no way she'll get a settlement remotely approaching that number, if she is awarded anything at all. After all, the entire U.S. has an annual gross national income of just over $14 trillion. Or, put another way, if Ogunbayo was awarded $900 trillion she'd have enough disposable income to pay off the U.S. national debt several dozen times over.

Ogunbayo sued the city and the Administration for Children's Services (ACS), alleging that both entities violated her and her children's civil liberties by placing them in foster care in June, 2008. In her lawsuit, obtained by The Smoking Gun, Ogunbayo listed her grievances as follows:
"For causing plaintiff substantial economic hardship; for causing plaintiff substantial economic injuries; for depriving plaintiff and plaintiff children's Civil Right, 42 U.S.C. section 1983; for depriving plaintiff and plaintiff's children, the right to family integrity; for depriving plaintiff and plaintiff's children, the right to life, liberty, property and the right guaranteed by statute; for disregarding the probability of plaintiff's children, suffering emotional and mental distress."

The city has not responded to Ogunbayo's lawsuit but contends that she is mentally ill and unable to properly care for her two boys, who are now teenagers.The New York City Law Department released a statement to ABC News, which said, "We are unable to comment on pending litigation.  The amount a plaintiff requests in a lawsuit has no bearing on whether the case has any merit and no relation to actual damages if any."

The state alleges Ogunbayo suffers from hallucinations, refuses mental health treatment and placed her children at risk by leaving them at home for several hours each day. Two of the more specific allegations are that Ogunbayo wrote to her children's former school, insisting that the FBI and Secret Service were after her children and that their skin was becoming darker due to radiation exposure.

However, the state Appellate Division recently threw out a family court finding that Ogunbayo was guilty of neglecting her children. "Proof of mental illness alone will not support a finding of neglect," the court ruled, according to SILive.com

Ogunbayo is representing herself in the case.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/mother-sues-city-900-trillion-yes-trillion-placing-213613703.html

Nigerian woman wants to be richer than her country, lol
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by KayDee4: 2:25am On Feb 09, 2012
I heard she's mentally unstable and no lawyer agreed to represent her in the case.  undecided undecided

the entire U.S. has an annual gross national income of just over $14 trillion. Or, put another way, if Ogunbayo was awarded $900 trillion she'd have enough disposable income to pay off the U.S. national debt several dozen times over.
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by Nobody: 3:05am On Feb 09, 2012
them don jax the woman
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by lifestyle1(m): 8:56am On Feb 09, 2012
She wan buy Africa ? ;d
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by egtl: 9:05am On Feb 09, 2012
thank God she is mentally unstable what is she going to use that kind of money for?
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by MrResource(m): 9:08am On Feb 09, 2012
This woman is crazyyyy grin grin
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by Wexelion(m): 9:11am On Feb 09, 2012
Be like say na cocaine give am that inspiration
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by Atigba: 9:18am On Feb 09, 2012
hahahah, I love dis
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by saintneo(m): 9:18am On Feb 09, 2012
We are discussing this topic with the reference 'Nigerian woman. If the name of this woman had anything 'Chi' or 'Chukwu', the entire thread will turn tribal.
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by Yorisb: 9:27am On Feb 09, 2012
^^
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by honeric01(m): 9:37am On Feb 09, 2012
Because she sued for $900 trillion, she's unstable? some people self, she knows why she asked for such money = attention to her case, a mentally unstable person won't do that, she did that to be heard by the world just like the news article indicated.
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by MrResource(m): 9:40am On Feb 09, 2012
saintneo:

We are discussing this topic with the reference 'Nigerian woman. If the name of this woman had anything 'Chi' or 'Chukwu', the entire thread will turn tribal.

angry angry angry
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by Mucokey(m): 9:44am On Feb 09, 2012
900thrillion! Dat sort of claim can only be made by a mental derange person buh my gross hia, is she been a nigerian. Another image denting.
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by 4everGod1: 9:45am On Feb 09, 2012
You guys should look beyond the amount she is demanding for and look at the credibility of her claim and the lawsuit itself. If her rights and those of her children have been violated she deserves a right to have a fiar hearing be compensated adequately for the trauma that has caused not just her but also her children.

They say she is mentally unstable but she gave birth to these kids in her so called mental state and she raised them "in her so called mental state" to a certain age before they got taken from her.
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by seenoevil1: 9:51am On Feb 09, 2012
the USA has a national debt of $15trillion , nuff said
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by 76Naira(m): 9:57am On Feb 09, 2012
Is she for real?
Let's assume she wins the case; how would she get paid?
lol
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by 76Naira(m): 10:01am On Feb 09, 2012
Where is this woman from?
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by mustspin: 10:09am On Feb 09, 2012
76Naira:

saintneo:

pls u guys should let the sleeping dog lie. u'll be as much guilty as those tribal bigots if this thread turns tribal
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by 76Naira(m): 10:15am On Feb 09, 2012
Mr Mustpin, my question is simply rhetorical.
Go check my previous posts & see I am not in the league of tribal bigots. I have no time for that.

Your answer could have been;

"she is surely extraterrestrial" or "that beats my imagination"

Cheers.

mustspin:

pls u guys should let the sleeping dog lie. u'll be as much guilty as those tribal bigots if this thread turns tribal
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by Nobody: 10:21am On Feb 09, 2012
Ojukokoro is a yoruba word, I wish the lady was a yoruba grin grin grin
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by vykte(m): 10:36am On Feb 09, 2012
i tot d woman is yoruba until i saw her name!, not being sarcastic though
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by vykte(m): 10:41am On Feb 09, 2012
76Naira:

she is ibo na, cnt u see her name!
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by pato405(m): 10:41am On Feb 09, 2012

$900 trillion only? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by PurestBoy(m): 10:52am On Feb 09, 2012
I heard the richest person Carlos Slim worths $60Billion. What would dis Nigerian woman wants to do with $900 Trillion?? Nigerians can't just stop disgracing Nigeria & other credible Nigerians
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by sixbon2000(m): 11:15am On Feb 09, 2012
The woman isn't nigerian
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by PurestBoy(m): 11:47am On Feb 09, 2012
sixbon2000:

The woman isn't nigerian

What are the moderators doing while thos scammer is spamming everywhere with Qatar nonsense
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by Koolking(m): 11:56am On Feb 09, 2012
silami:

A Staten Island mom is making national headlines today after suing the city of West Brighton for $900 trillion, alleging the city improperly placed her two children in foster care.

But I have to agree with the Inquisitr's Kim LaCapria, who says plaintiff Fausat Ogunbayo is actually quite clever in choosing to sue for $900 trillion. After all, how many people would be reading about this story and discussing Ogunbayo's plight had she quietly filed her petition without seeking monetary compensation?
Of course there's no way she'll get a settlement remotely approaching that number, if she is awarded anything at all. After all, the entire U.S. has an annual gross national income of just over $14 trillion. Or, put another way, if Ogunbayo was awarded $900 trillion she'd have enough disposable income to pay off the U.S. national debt several dozen times over.

4everGod1:

You guys should look beyond the amount she is demanding for and look at the credibility of her claim and the lawsuit itself. If her rights and those of her children have been violated she deserves a right to have a fiar hearing be compensated adequately for the trauma that has caused not just her but also her children.

They say she is mentally unstable but she gave birth to these kids in her so called mental state and she raised them "in her so called mental state" to a certain age before they got taken from her.

honeric01:

Because she sued for $900 trillion, she's unstable? some people self, she knows why she asked for such money = attention to her case,  a mentally unstable person won't do that, she did that to be heard by the world just like the news article indicated.

Thank you folks for your decisive comments. The claim that the woman is mentally unstable is a ploy by the state to throw the case into trash bin thereby justifying their actions against this woman. This sort of manoeuvre is not isolated in court cases. No matter the state influence on this case, I bet she will get a lawyer to represent her, the amount sues for is a sure bait to hook on lawyers. This is the same insane woman who understands the feelings of having her children close to her bossom. [i]In[/i]sane enough to sue the state for $900 Trillion for perceived encroachment on her rights.
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by akin33(m): 12:18pm On Feb 09, 2012
The woman no well.
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by mystikal(m): 1:41pm On Feb 09, 2012
She is getting the attention she needed. Hope she gets some form of compensation.
Re: Fausat Ogunbayo Sues West Brighton City For $900 Trillion by Konnektions146(m): 1:44pm On Feb 09, 2012
i am liking de woman, she is getting attention and before yu know it, some lawyer will opt to represent her.

finally they likely will beg to settle outta court.

but de money is makin me dizzy

(1) (2) (Reply)

2nd Niger Bridge - Onitsha...........video / LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal / Who Do You Think Will Win Ondo State Gubernatorial Election?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.