Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,831 members, 7,820,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Who Is A Christian - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is A Christian (922 Views)

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / Is It Right for a Christian to Expose False Prophets and False Teaching ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is A Christian by kennafols(f): 10:27pm On Feb 14, 2012
Please can you tell me who is christian
Re: Who Is A Christian by JeSoul(f): 10:33pm On Feb 14, 2012
^A follower & imitator of Christ. Look at the example Jesus set - anyone who lives and believes as He did is a christian.
Re: Who Is A Christian by God2man(m): 11:39am On Feb 15, 2012
Sometimes ago, a boy met billions of naira in his bank account, he decided to withdraw out of the money so as to be sure that the money was real, he did, and the balance was reflected on the ATM.
The guy went home and told his father, the father said he should report to the bank. This brother went ahead and informed the bank that the money was mistakenly posted to his account. When the news got to his school, students of the polytechnic were eager to castigate him for making that unpopular decision.
However, the truth is that the name of this boy is JOB, he is a CHRISTIAN, he is a member of Mountain of Fire and Miracle, Ministries. The General Overseer of the church rewarded him with a car, and promised to get a job for him after graduation.
Now, this singular act is my own defnition of a christian. It means a great opportunity to steal is presented to you, but you decided not to steal. Why? It takes the grace of God and enough courage to do this. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Who Is A Christian by numo86(m): 1:00pm On Feb 15, 2012
***a   christian   is   1   who in imitation of Christ   will   not   engage in canal warfare either to support a nation or a tribe, even if he or she faces serious persecution becos of it
***a christian is 1 who in imitation of Christ will keep seperate from the world,also a christian is 1 who will imitate d apostles of Christ
***a christian is 1 who in imitation of christ will be ready & willing to die for a fellow brother if d situation calls for it
***a christian is 1 who will obey God as ruler rather than men
***a christian is 1 who  in imitation of Jesus will not worship Jesus(himself),but worship the 1 God Jesus worshiped(Yahweh),
Thanks
Re: Who Is A Christian by mnwankwo(m): 1:01pm On Feb 15, 2012
God2man:

Sometimes ago, a boy met billions of naira in his bank account, he decided to withdraw out of the money so as to be sure that the money was real, he did, and the balance was reflected on the ATM.
The guy went home and told his father, the father said he should  report to the bank. This brother went ahead and informed the bank that the money was mistakenly posted to his account. When the news got to his school, students of the polytechnic were eager to castigate him for making that unpopular decision.
However, the truth is that the name of this boy is JOB, he is a CHRISTIAN, he is a member of Mountain of Fire and Miracle, Ministries. The General Overseer of the church rewarded him with a car, and promised to get a job for him after graduation.
Now, this singular act is my own defnition of a christian. It means a great opportunity to steal is presented to you, but you decided not to steal. Why? It takes the grace of God and enough courage to do this.  God bless you. God2man.      

Good point. But if a moslem, a budhist or even an atheist does exactly the same thing, will you consider him a Christian. Best Wishes.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Christian by emofine2(f): 1:46pm On Feb 15, 2012
m_nwankwo:

Good point. But if a moslem, a budhist or even an atheist does exactly the same thing, will you consider him a Christian. Best Wishes.

Good question.

God2man:
Now, this singular act is my own defnition of a christian. It means a great opportunity to steal is presented to you, but you decided not to steal. Why? It takes the grace of God and enough courage to do this.  God bless you. God2man.     

erm . . .this extraordinary behaviour is not limited to Christians. The only difference between the Christian and non-Christian is that the Christian being governed by the principles of their faith most likely had a different motivation.

But allow me to expand on m_nwankwo's question. If a non-Christian had "enough courage" to exhibit this kind of behaviour will you still accord that to "the grace of God"?
Re: Who Is A Christian by Judek2(m): 3:16pm On Feb 15, 2012
numo86:

***a   christian   is   1   who in imitation of Christ   will   not   engage in canal warfare either to support a nation or a tribe, even if he or she faces serious persecution becos of it
***a christian is 1 who in imitation of Christ will keep seperate from the world,also a christian is 1 who will imitate d apostles of Christ
***a christian is 1 who in imitation of christ will be ready & willing to die for a fellow brother if d situation calls for it
***a christian is 1 who will obey God as ruler rather than men
***a christian is 1 who  in imitation of Jesus will not worship Jesus(himself),but worship the 1 God Jesus worshiped(Yahweh),
Thanks

Jesus must be worshiped, if not you are in defiant of christian qualities. The worship of Jesus is the worship of God.

john 5:22For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
23) That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

1 John 2:23 No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

you should go and read the book of revelation.

@OP. A christian is simply a person who loves Christ and obeys his teachings and commandments.

[John 14:21] Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

John 14:23 Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.

John 15:10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.
Re: Who Is A Christian by numo86(m): 4:50pm On Feb 15, 2012
@judek, was my comment wrong in any way?, why would u worship the messanger and abandon the sender??
did u kill Yahweh?, imitate Jesus by worshiping who Jesus worshiped,
does that sound wrong?,
Re: Who Is A Christian by ichuka(m): 5:17pm On Feb 15, 2012
@numo86
The sender "GOD",His message "WORD" and the messenger "Jesus Christ" are the same(Jhn1:1,14).
So by worshipping the messenger we are directly worshipping the sender.cheers
Re: Who Is A Christian by Judek2(m): 6:45pm On Feb 15, 2012
numo86:

@judek, was my comment wrong in any way?, why would u worship the messanger and abandon the sender??
did u kill Yahweh?, imitate Jesus by worshiping who Jesus worshiped,
does that sound wrong?,

Yeah. That particular sentense is wrong in every ways.

Review it

***a christian is 1 who in imitation of Jesus will not worship Jesus(himself),but worship the 1 God Jesus worshiped(Yahweh),[/b]

That quote has crushed everything that makes a good christian.
Re: Who Is A Christian by God2man(m): 7:37am On Feb 16, 2012
I think my own defnition of a christian is faulty,Jesoul has answered the question. Nevertheless, we have conscience, and if we can hand over this conscience to the leading of the holyspirit, it will go a long way to assist in taking such unpopular decision.
Non-christians do not have the holyspirit in them, but they have conscience, they have a lot of work to do, either to obey God's inner police called conscience or disobey. The truth is that everyman in his right sense knows the right thing, but we lack the courage to do it. We can only strenghten it by the power of the holyspirit. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Who Is A Christian by mnwankwo(m): 11:22am On Feb 16, 2012
God2man:

I think my own defnition of a christian is faulty,Jesoul has answered the question.   Nevertheless, we have conscience, and if we can hand over this conscience to the leading of the holyspirit, it will go a long way to assist in taking such unpopular decision.
Non-christians do not have the holyspirit in them, but they have conscience, they have a lot of work to do, either to obey God's inner police called conscience or disobey. The truth is that everyman in his right sense knows the right thing, but we lack the courage to do it. We can only strenghten it by the power of the holyspirit.  God bless you. God2man.

Hi God2man. Thank you for your answer. If non-Christians do not have the Holy Spirit as you suggested above, how  is it possible that these non-Christians listen and obey "God's inner police" (conscience)? There are some non-Christians that follow the dictates of their conscience without effort. It comes naturally to them. How is it possible that such non-Christians were able to obey "God's inner police" without the power of the Holy Spirit? Best wishes.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Christian by mabell: 11:50am On Feb 16, 2012
A christian is one who has accepted Jesus as his lord and is living the christ like life
Re: Who Is A Christian by God2man(m): 12:07pm On Feb 16, 2012
Once you have the knowledge of the consequence of what you about to do, you will defnitely obey. Besides, whatever discipline our parents planted in us, is one of the good reasons to listen to the voice of the conscience.
It seems you are generalizing everything, there are some extreme cases, where it is difficult for non-christians to yield to the voice of the conscience, you know, we are limited in some actions. Perfection belong to God. we will only need the help of God to do the right thing. This one does not come naturally. It takes the grace of God to obey the voice of the conscience.
Night Dream is also vital in this case, God is love. Let us look at this case, it is not real, but it is typical to teenagers, and it happens around our neighbourhood.
An unbelieving student got pregnant, she is in a state of confusion. In the dream, she dreamt that the baby in his womb is a star. If she abort the baby, she will not be pregnant again. Her future is at stake.What is the best option in this case? To have the baby or to abort it. She needs the help of God to follow the dictates of the conscience. This one does not come naturally. If she disobey the dream and abort the baby, the outcome is there for her. God has spoken to her in the dream, it is left for her to obey. There are other cases, where it is hard for non-christians to the right thing. Whichever way you look at it, we will always need the help of God to do the right thing.God bless you. God2man.
Re: Who Is A Christian by mnwankwo(m): 12:57pm On Feb 16, 2012
God2man:

Once you have the knowledge of the consequence of what you about to do, you will defnitely obey. Besides, whatever discipline our parents planted in us, is one of the good reasons to listen to the voice of the conscience.
It seems you are generalizing everything, there are some extreme cases, where it is difficult for non-christians to yield to the voice of the conscience, you know, we are limited in some actions. Perfection belong to God. we will only need the help of God to do the right thing. This one does not come naturally. It takes the grace of God to obey the voice of the conscience.
Night Dream is also vital in this case, God is love. Let us look at this case, it is not real, but it is typical to teenagers, and it happens around our neighbourhood.
An unbelieving student got pregnant, she is in a state of confusion.  In the dream, she dreamt that the baby in his womb is a star. If she abort the baby, she will not be pregnant again. Her future is at stake.What is the best option in this case? To have the baby or to abort it. She needs the help of God to follow the dictates of the conscience. This one does not come naturally. If she disobey the dream and abort the baby, the outcome is there for her. God has spoken to her in the dream, it is left for her to obey. There are other cases, where it is hard for non-christians to the right thing. Whichever way you look at it, we will always need the help of God to do the right thing.God bless you. God2man.     

Hi God2man. If you agree that it takes the grace of God to obey the voice of conscience and you seem to also agree that  some non-Christians do obey the voice of their conscience, then it can be inferred that some non-Christians have the grace of God. Is it possible to have the grace of God without having the power of the Holy Spirit?

Yes, even someone who naturally and without much effort follow the dictates of his conscience need the grace of God to do so. The question is; Why is it that some non-Christians can listen to the voice of their conscience and have the grace of God when you have previously suggested that non-Christians do not have the Holy Spirit. Look at the example you gave with a pregnant teenager  who according to you is an unbeliever. Why did God talk to her in a dream  since she has no Holy Spirit? If she follows the admonition that God gave her in the dream and keeps the baby, how is it possible to she can obey Gods command when she has no Holy Spirit? Best Wishes.

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Christian by God2man(m): 2:15pm On Feb 16, 2012
Unbeliever can dream. God speak to them because he is a loving God. God send down rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. It is possible for God to speak to them. Also they have conscience.
I think i have answered all your questions, except you want us to go to the doctrine of trinity. Read my previous posts very well. You will discover that i have answered all your questions.God bless you. God2man.
Re: Who Is A Christian by numo86(m): 3:55pm On Feb 16, 2012
@judek, so ur saying that 1 who worships Yahweh is not a christian??
But actually d real followers of christ are those who worship the God of christ,
Imitate Jesus in that aspect, cant u?,
Please read Jesus's reply to d jews @ mark 12:29 & 30

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
Vs 29::Yeshua said to him, “The first of all the commandments: 'Hear Israel, THE LORD JEHOVAH your God, THE LORD JEHOVAH, he is One.' “,
vs 30::“'And you shall love THE LORD JEHOVAH your God with your whole heart and with your entire soul and with your entire mind and with all your power.' This is the first commandment”

Please wen u read it ask urself if i'm wrong,
Re: Who Is A Christian by Judek2(m): 12:43pm On Feb 17, 2012
numo86:

@judek, so ur saying that 1 who worships Yahweh is not a christian??
But actually d real followers of christ are those who worship the God of christ,
Imitate Jesus in that aspect, cant u?,
Please read Jesus's reply to d jews @ mark 12:29 & 30

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
Vs 29::Yeshua said to him, “The first of all the commandments: 'Hear Israel, THE LORD JEHOVAH your God, THE LORD JEHOVAH, he is One.' “,
vs 30::“'And you shall love THE LORD JEHOVAH your God with your whole heart and with your entire soul and with your entire mind and with all your power.' This is the first commandment”

Please wen u read it ask urself if i'm wrong,

Please, do not put blasphemy into my mouth. I didnt say that.
This shouldnt be like a lecture or form of arguement. This word from you proves,or is likely to prove that you dont even know about christianity.
I never said God wont be worshiped, i never said Jesus should replace Yahweh in worship,as in Yahweh is now domant. But i said as Jesus said, "I AND MY FATHER ARE ONE."
You dont even understand the scripture you read,do you read it for reading sake,or for understanding?
Do you know that without worshiping Jesus, you are not worshiping Yahweh,cos you dont even know him. The worship of Gods begotten is the worship of God. Now,tell me If he the same god other religions worship?

First of all, you need to know who Jesus is, cos your statement proves you dont know him as a Christian should. And so,you tell me the difference between your belief compared to Islam and Jews, who took Jesus as a man,and made away with his divinity as God.
Re: Who Is A Christian by numo86(m): 1:08pm On Feb 17, 2012
@judek2, i understand d scriptures perfectly,
It might surprise u to know that just as Jesus and his Father are one so also we are one with Jesus,
Did u know that
Let me tell u what oneness is,
Open ur precious bible & other translations to john chapter 17:20-23
20 I pray not only for these but also for those who through their teaching will come to believe in me.
21 May they all be one, just as, Father, you are in me and I am in you, so that they also may be in us, so thatthe world may believe it was you who sent me.
22 I have given them the glory you gave to me, that they may be one as we are one.
23 With me in them and you in me, may they be so perfected in unity that the world will recognise that it was you who sent me and that you have loved them as you have loved me

we are to be one Just as Jesus & d Father are 1 and also that Yahweh & Jesus mayb in us & we in them,
I hope the oneness Jesus later explained here does nt include us in the triology dogma, ??,
Just as d priests in bible times conveyed d worship of d isrealites to Yahweh so also does d perfect high priest(Jesus) convey our worship to his Father & our Father,
My problem is u barely mention that name Yahweh or pray to Yahweh but u rather pray & render worship belonging to Yahweh to Jesus instead of praying through him(Jesus) to get to Yahweh,
Jesus even taught us how to worship but many christians ignore it, its nt good,
And mind u i'm a 100% christian, i know how to direct my worship thats all, i understand Jesus's role in d outworking of his Fathers will, we are nw been reconciled to Yahweh thru his son Jesus, Jesus is now our high priest & mediator to Yahweh, so i understand what i'm doing, if there's any1 who follow follow's Jesus for back i'm 1 of those, and i'm exactly followin Jesus order on how & who we shuld worship, finish!!!
Re: Who Is A Christian by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:59pm On Feb 17, 2012
a christian is someone who wants to be blind and will not see even when the power of sight is forced upon him.
Re: Who Is A Christian by tmed1(m): 10:37pm On Feb 17, 2012
Judek2:

Please, do not put blasphemy into my mouth. I didnt say that.
This shouldnt be like a lecture or form of arguement. This word from you proves,or is likely to prove that you dont even know about christianity.
I never said God wont be worshiped, i never said Jesus should replace Yahweh in worship,as in Yahweh is now domant. But i said as Jesus said, "I AND MY FATHER ARE ONE."
You dont even understand the scripture you read,do you read it for reading sake,or for understanding?
Do you know that without worshiping Jesus, you are not worshiping Yahweh,cos you dont even know him. The worship of Gods begotten is the worship of God. Now,tell me If he the same god other religions worship?

First of all, you need to know who Jesus is, cos your statement proves you dont know him as a Christian should. And so,you tell me the difference between your belief compared to Islam and Jews, who took Jesus as a man,and made away with his divinity as God.

'HUSBAND AND WIFE ARE ONE' what those it mean
More so,we direct our prayer to God through the name of Jesus christ his son.That is one of the ways we show that d we appreciate d ransom sacrifice of jesus christ and more importantly for our prayers to be answered.But definitely, not directing prayers that belongs to the father to the son.becos Jesus also worsipped his Father.We thus need to imitate him
Re: Who Is A Christian by Lasinoh: 3:08am On Feb 20, 2012
The ultimate hypocrite who never does what is supposed to be done. . . but preaches a lot of hate and bigotry. kiss
Re: Who Is A Christian by Ehinafe: 12:44pm On Feb 20, 2012
A Christian is one who is a resident of heaven, but temporarily sojourning on the planet earth

(1) (Reply)

. / I Feel God Far From Me. What Do I Do? / Miracle Of God Through Baba Peculiar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.