Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,705 members, 7,827,576 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

8,159 Students Graduated From Unilag Today - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 8,159 Students Graduated From Unilag Today (8765 Views)

When Daddy Graduated From The University Through Runs (Photo) / Oluwamayo Ojumah Makes First-Class From UNILAG After 16 Years In 4 Universities / 69 Bag First Class As 6,710 Students Graduated From UNILORIN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8,159 Students Graduated From Unilag Today by tanimola22: 7:08pm On Feb 15, 2012
They rock in a number of areas. Refinedness and exposure are some of them. Some of us would never have gotten the level of early exposure we had if we did not pass through the four walls of that school called Unilag.

Remember, no school has a monopoly of aristocracy cool. Even sef, in my time, many of those so called Aristos were not even real students of the school. They paid very exorbitant prices to remain in the Moremi hall of that time. This strategy got them more customers grin and more reputable. They were later pushed out when students rioted and got the VC`s house burnt. This led the school to rent the hall to a number of academically minded female students, the so called female scholars.

T22

T22
Re: 8,159 Students Graduated From Unilag Today by scholes23(m): 9:47pm On Feb 15, 2012
oh men pple could be so hrtless.
I know that 2day was a very happy moment 4 all graduatin students of unilag but not for all. Today happen 2 b a sorrowfulday 4 a friend of mine on her convocation day. Can u immagine dat her family, friends & well wishers attended the event only 4 her parent's car to be stolen @ d parlin lot. Not only was d car stolen, all d food & drinks were also stolen. They discovered it wen they went to get all d goodies from d vehicle after they had mounted theri canopy only 4 dem 2 discover dat d car was missin.
I alwys tell pple dat is not everybody dat comes 2 an event 4 d purpose of merryin with odas some have bad motives. Anyway i went 2 church and prayed dat they willnot hav peace until they return d vehicle.
Re: 8,159 Students Graduated From Unilag Today by Nobody: 10:35pm On Feb 15, 2012
I'm graduating 2mao, Dept of Civil and Environmental engineering University of Lagos, I'm very happy, It's not easy oooo, And see beefers everywhere, Our educational system is messed up (na me cause am abi), No jobs (na me cause am) Abeg if u dnt av anything useful to say go and hug transformer, It's not all of us that can afford cambridge tuition, I wish myself success,
Re: 8,159 Students Graduated From Unilag Today by kizito96(m): 11:45pm On Feb 15, 2012
Most of them had BSC in Cult Activities
Re: 8,159 Students Graduated From Unilag Today by fleps(m): 11:59pm On Feb 15, 2012
tanimola22:

I understand and completely empathize with you. You will be rewarded with excellent grades in your graduate school(hope you register to attend one).

However, what makes you feel that every secondary school near Unilag is not full of Unilag students jacking their heads off? And what makes you feel that there are no sadists at the departments of Engineering in Unilag? Man, please go there and see things for yourself. Many people say crazy things about Unilag students and graduates; things that are really not so good. Only God knows where they got such stories from. I don't know whether other top graduates from other naija schools are actually excellent in reality or not, but what I know is that if you do very well in Unilag, you will do very well elsewhere. If you are excellent in Unilag, you will be excellent elsewhere. This has been consistently proven over the years.

The very top graduating students all strove and merited what they got. Do a survey if you have the time. Watch their future GRE scores and their future GPAs at the top schools in the US and UK. You will almost surely agree with what I am saying. Although Unilag students and alumni are among the most sociable students that Nigeria can boast of, they are equally not sick academically. We believe in working hard and playing very hard. We also have professors who are themselves very successful and happy to see their students aim to be successful. In the same vein, there is a myriad of saaaaaadists. It is all about striking a balance.

I congratulate all those who have graduated well. Our top students get competed for by top MNCs and the very top schools around the world.

Congrats especially to the topee. I hope he was able to beat the record 4.93 and 4.95 set in 2007 and 2008 respectively. And most importantly, I hope he graduated from Engineering or Science grin. Your senior colleagues are waiting for you at Harvard or MIT.

T22.
I understand you very wel. But you dnt really understand me when i say sadists n all secondary and primary schools in awka is ocupied day n night by UNIZIK students. I just wish sumbody wil say it beta. Mind u i reside in Lagos. Infact Bariga to be precise so wich secondary or primary schol is ocupied by Uni students (nt pointing unilag now)? Is it Finbars, Akoka high schol, FCE, Cms grama schol? Ajayi crowder or cms gals, st lukes or howels? Cms primary schol complex? Toria school at yaba or succes point, Timi o, crusader lessons? St august affiliate to Ibadan? Abeg tel me wich of these schols go open gate 4 u or student go enta individualy or in groud just to study. In ma secondary schol days in Ajayi Crowther i blong to a futbol club n only futbol teams dat pay d gatekeeper som alawi na him go enta.
Am nt beefing UNILAG or her Students o o! Infact am just lamenting the state of UNIVERSITY EDUCATION in Anambra State! I mean in my time, meetings were held at faculty levels concerning one or two students who's a potential 1st class candidate especialy d social sciences! Ah! E too bad there! Infact one of d lecturers whom am very close to even advised me nt to continue with ma Masters Degree in dat school after one of d meetings wich aparantly had me n two odas as an agenda. I was shocked to d marrows! These were his words, "Bassey, i'll advise you nt to continue wit your Masters degree in dis department. Tel same to Ifeoma. Its better u go to ur homestate n continue there or u get a scholarship, go overseas to oxford or liverpool. Dats where ur kind can make impact wit ur inteligence n d graphics n computer software skils u've got". Oboy there n then i made up my mind nt to return to d school for any carry ova. Like i said in ma first post, i work xtra hard! I almost ran mad! D only nite i spent at home was saturday n sunday nytes. Others nytes i was in d fellowship wit felow jackass. (i even 4got to say dat d felowships e.G casor, nifes Efac, Grace, Rccg, su, mfm campus felowship centres were nt left our cuz d schools (numbering more than 20 including st joseph, n st anthony big reading centres were kinda overcrowded) nt 4getin d popular Garba square etc)
I admire Unilag n oda great schols like UNN, UI UNILORIN, CONVENANT (plz name more! Nt glorified secondary schools o o!). Inteligent graduated students frm these schools can compete with any school in da world! Its a fact! No beafing! Guy if u good, u good! If u inteligent, u go make am anywhere dats just d leson of my story! I aim for d moon always n if i dnt reach it, i land amongst d stars! They neva tot me graphics or computer software engineering bt i had to personaly hold on to sumtin in schol, dat way i ranked in cash n worked for companies in dsignin adverts etc. I worked, formated n generaly repair computer softwares! NA BABA GOD NONI e no join d mass com where i read o! Bt na God!
And a little advise to all, a certificate can burn bt wats in da certified can neva burn. Like peak milk wud say "its in you!" u can do it! Hold four tins to urself
GOD
YOURSELF
GOOD FRIENDS
YOUR FAMILY
Learn new tins! Seek to know! Aspire to flow in d realm of d best! If u no make 1st class, 2nd class or even 3rd class, its nt d end of d world! U can employ those who have all d degres n phDs! KNOW UR PURPOSE IN LIFE n no FORCE CAN REPOSE YOU! GOODLUCK TO ALL STUDENTS, IT IS WELL IN JESUS NAME!
Re: 8,159 Students Graduated From Unilag Today by tanimola22: 1:43am On Feb 16, 2012
fleps:

I understand you very wel. But you dnt really understand me when i say sadists n all secondary and primary schools in awka is ocupied day n night by UNIZIK students. I just wish sumbody wil say it beta. Mind u i reside in Lagos. Infact Bariga to be precise so wich secondary or primary schol is ocupied by Uni students (nt pointing unilag now)? Is it Finbars, Akoka high schol, FCE, Cms grama schol? Ajayi crowder or cms gals, st lukes or howels? Cms primary schol complex? Toria school at yaba or succes point, Timi o, crusader lessons? St august affiliate to Ibadan? Abeg tel me wich of these schols go open gate 4 u or student go enta individualy or in groud just to study. In ma secondary schol days in Ajayi Crowther i blong to a futbol club n only futbol teams dat pay d gatekeeper som alawi na him go enta.
Am nt beefing UNILAG or her Students o o! Infact am just lamenting the state of UNIVERSITY EDUCATION in Anambra State! I mean in my time, meetings were held at faculty levels concerning one or two students who's a potential 1st class candidate especialy d social sciences! Ah! E too bad there! Infact one of d lecturers whom am very close to even advised me nt to continue with ma Masters Degree in dat school after one of d meetings wich aparantly had me n two odas as an agenda. I was shocked to d marrows! These were his words, "Bassey, i'll advise you nt to continue wit your Masters degree in dis department. Tel same to Ifeoma. Its better u go to ur homestate n continue there or u get a scholarship, go overseas to oxford or liverpool. Dats where ur kind can make impact wit ur inteligence n d graphics n computer software skils u've got". Oboy there n then i made up my mind nt to return to d school for any carry ova. Like i said in ma first post, i work xtra hard! I almost ran mad! D only nite i spent at home was saturday n sunday nytes. Others nytes i was in d fellowship wit felow jackass. (i even 4got to say dat d felowships e.G casor, nifes Efac, Grace, Rccg, su, mfm campus felowship centres were nt left our cuz d schools (numbering more than 20 including st joseph, n st anthony big reading centres were kinda overcrowded) nt 4getin d popular Garba square etc)
I admire Unilag n oda great schols like UNN, UI UNILORIN, CONVENANT (plz name more! Nt glorified secondary schools o o!). Inteligent graduated students frm these schools can compete with any school in da world! Its a fact! No beafing! Guy if u good, u good! If u inteligent, u go make am anywhere dats just d leson of my story! I aim for d moon always n if i dnt reach it, i land amongst d stars! They neva tot me graphics or computer software engineering bt i had to personaly hold on to sumtin in schol, dat way i ranked in cash n worked for companies in dsignin adverts etc. I worked, formated n generaly repair computer softwares! NA BABA GOD NONI e no join d mass com where i read o! Bt na God!
And a little advise to all, a certificate can burn bt wats in da certified can neva burn. Like peak milk wud say "its in you!" u can do it! Hold four tins to urself
GOD
YOURSELF
GOOD FRIENDS
YOUR FAMILY
Learn new tins! Seek to know! Aspire to flow in d realm of d best! If u no make 1st class, 2nd class or even 3rd class, its nt d end of d world! U can employ those who have all d degres n phDs! KNOW UR PURPOSE IN LIFE n no FORCE CAN REPOSE YOU! GOODLUCK TO ALL STUDENTS, IT IS WELL IN JESUS NAME!

I see your point, and I accept that those high schools around Akoka don't open their gates to just anybody. However, this was possible around Yabatech area and farther down. I was particularly talking about these places.

As regards some of your lecturers, have you ever wondered why they are not well published, why they are not even known in the active research community? Many of them, their papers are rejected and rejected and rejected until they get frustrated. Why? Probably because of low funding, which means there is no cash to perform top quality research or maybe this rejection is just due to their own laziness, who knows sef. Their own is to teach, teach crap and teach, or discuss students or give students bad grades when their mates (fellow lecturers and researchers elsewhere) are trying to discover new things or contribute to existing knowledge. Many of those so called naija lecturers, their PhD theses are not even publishable sef. The theses are no better than what a smart MSc student can do in less than a year. If you say I am lying or being too critical, then how come many of those theses cannot even be published in a C+ rated journal? This is a question that they alone can provide answers to. From what one naija prof made me know, many of those so called naija PhD holders (not all sha) do copy-paste. Let them try that in a serious academic environment and see whether they will not lose their jobs in a second.

Some people are saying naija graduates this, graduates that, but they have not taken time to question the competence of the so called lecturers that groomed the graduates. In the active years of naija's older lecturers (lecturers who are now 60 and beyond), people went into lecturing because they were unbelievably smart, they enjoyed it and that was exactly what they wanted to do. The people that went for lucrative jobs were those who did averagely well or even below average at school. But today, what do we see? We see a situation in which the best and brightest are looking for oil company jobs, investment banking jobs, telecom jobs, consulting jobs and what have you, while the not so competitive ones, on the average, are the people running back to our universities to pursue graduate studies with the hope of consequently becoming university lecturers. Tell me, why will they not beef a star student? Tell me, is this not a recycling of the decay we have been talking about for decades? A chick friend once told me that some assistant lecturers in her undergrad school told her that they came back to pursue graduate studies because they just could not cut it in the corporate world. This is not how things should be. Universities should, rather than being a dumping ground or a place of last resort, be made extremely competitive for those looking to do academic teaching and research. This way, we get the best and the brightest; this way, we get people who can do top quality research; this way, we produce better graduates and ultimately improve the rankings of our universities.

A friend called from London and said he heard that graduate assistants (PhD students and co) at our universities would soon start earning about 200K per month. I don't know if this is true, I just hope it is. A lot of our woes would be addressed should it be true. It has been established that there is a correlation ( and G. causality) between university ranking and availability of funds. No wonder why a school like KAUST has invested billions of dollars in research, which has helped to attract some of the best researchers and students from all over the world.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

otigunju

T22.
Re: 8,159 Students Graduated From Unilag Today by beatricewebb: 2:02am On Feb 16, 2012
I want to sees this jiffy privilege to inform those that had continue to slander UNILAG that I stayed at home several years before I could secure admission into LAG that attending another university apart from lag would have made my university days boring an meaningless,for the fact that some of them cannot get admission into lag does not mean they should put a stigma on it,every day when I walked into my school I can see the faces of an feel the most beautiful girls in nigeria an west africa,I can receive lecture under the most conducive environment,am just happy about it GREATEST AKOKITE!
Re: 8,159 Students Graduated From Unilag Today by GboyegaD(m): 4:47am On Feb 16, 2012
A total of 8,159 students graduated from the University of Lagos today.

Out of the total number, 4,375 received first degrees while 3,784 received post graduate degrees. Of the first degree graduating students, 122 passed in first class division, with the Faculty of Engineering topping the list.

The best graduating student is Edo State-born Akhigbe Iziren. He studied Engineering.

These lot graduated from post graduate studies in one year and they could not tell of at least one thing they are adding to the Nigerian economy as an achievement Nigerian schools are only dishing out papers as each time, we hear of lot of graduate degrees and nothing to show forth even as a school that they achieved.
Re: 8,159 Students Graduated From Unilag Today by Nobody: 5:04am On Feb 16, 2012
AKOKITES, no mind em, Na the normal BEEF wey I don notice from outsiders over the years. They're always wondering how this students are able to party hard and still do well @ school, Come closer lemme whisper the secret in your hear, ℓ☺ℓ, Thnk God I went to UNILAG b4 gettin dey I was so shy with zero social skills, Atleast now I have really improved.
Re: 8,159 Students Graduated From Unilag Today by tanimola22: 11:16am On Feb 16, 2012
12 inches!:

AKOKITES, no mind em, Na the normal BEEF wey I don notice from outsiders over the years. They're always wondering how this students are able to party hard and still do well @ school, Come closer lemme whisper the secret in your hear, ℓ☺ℓ, Thnk God I went to UNILAG b4 gettin dey I was so shy with zero social skills, Atleast now I have really improved.

Considering that very many high calibre graduates attended other naija universities, I believe the highlighted should have long changed.
Re: 8,159 Students Graduated From Unilag Today by tomzman: 5:47pm On Feb 16, 2012
Congrats to all of them.Let haters continue hating.Once an Akokite, always an Akokite.

GREATEST AKOKITES!!!
Re: 8,159 Students Graduated From Unilag Today by obowunmi(m): 4:53am On Feb 17, 2012
scholes23:

oh men pple could be so hrtless.
I know that 2day was a very happy moment 4 all graduatin students of unilag but not for all. Today happen 2 b a sorrowfulday 4 a friend of mine on her convocation day. Can u immagine dat her family, friends & well wishers attended the event only 4 her parent's car to be stolen @ d parlin lot. [b]Not only was d car stolen, all d food & drinks were also stolen. [/b]They discovered it wen they went to get all d goodies from d vehicle after they had mounted theri canopy only 4 dem 2 discover dat d car was missin.
I alwys tell pple dat is not everybody dat comes 2 an event 4 d purpose of merryin with odas some have bad motives. Anyway i went 2 church and prayed dat they willnot hav peace until they return d vehicle.

Whata funny story grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I can't imagine the look on their faces, hahahahahaha! that sucksballs cry cry cry cry shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: 8,159 Students Graduated From Unilag Today by Ukeachu1(m): 12:27pm On May 04, 2013
congrats to them all. and if they will like to further in studies. i have some great scholarship info on post graduate studies abroad . follow this www.facebook.com/ScholarshipForNigerians.
Re: 8,159 Students Graduated From Unilag Today by vanosky: 2:13am On Jun 08, 2015

(1) (2) (Reply)

Open Letter To The Management Of FLC, OAU CDL And Security Agencies / Top 10 Most Expensive Secondary Schools In Nigeria / Delta State University 2016/2017 Second Batch Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.