Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

Authoritative View Of The Old Testament - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Authoritative View Of The Old Testament (4172 Views)

Pope Francis Has Changed My View Of Homosexuals / Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? / Is "God" Of The Old Testament Satan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by DeepSight(m): 10:09pm On Mar 09, 2013
InesQor: @Deep Sight:

LOL I am confident that you have made up your mind, since you had to say it thrice grin

Me I don give up on this discussion sha

Yeah, I posted it thrice in error. Fixed.

Surely, however, you see what I mean in my last post on "authority" in the context of this discussion? Do you now understand why I say looking at it with bare dictionary definitions alone will rob the word of its nuanced connotation in this discussion?
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by InesQor(m): 10:15pm On Mar 09, 2013
^^^^
I understand your point, I just do not agree with it. Why? Bear in mind that the OP is a non-theist, so authority in the context of this thread does not respect non-empirical sources, and non-empirical sources are the usual sources in religion. Meanwhile your own context of authority will require empiricity otherwise every new deviation is an authority. My own point is that since there is no empiricity, then the dictionary definition is perfect because indeed every new deviation is an authority (since at each deviation, neither the previous nor the present positions can be proven objectively).

I decided to quit since we cannot seem to agree on that point. wink
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Image123(m): 9:43pm On Mar 10, 2013
Image123:
give me one reason why you haven't heeded this advice and two reasons why i should?
mazaje, i await your answer to this question. Why are you yet to surrender your life to Allah? BTW i observed you've deserted the thread, perhaps off to find some great question that finally convinces you that there's no God?
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by mazaje(m): 10:01pm On Mar 10, 2013
Image123:
mazaje, i await your answer to this question. Why are you yet to surrender your life to Allah? BTW i observed you've deserted the thread, perhaps off to find some great question that finally convinces you that there's no God?

I am telling you what Allah the creator of the universe has written down in his book?. . .Give your life to Allah or rot in hell for all eternity. . .You have been warned. . .
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Image123(m): 10:35pm On Mar 10, 2013
mazaje:

I am telling you what Allah the creator of the universe has written down in his book?. . .Give your life to Allah or rot in hell for all eternity. . .You have been warned. . .
you're dodging, artful atheist. Answer the question.
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by mazaje(m): 10:38pm On Mar 10, 2013
Image123:
you're dodging, artful atheist. Answer the question.

Submit to Allah as a loyal slave and avoid hell. . . .When you die you will know. . .You have been warned. . .
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Image123(m): 10:56pm On Mar 10, 2013
mazaje:

Submit to Allah as a loyal slave and avoid hell. . . .When you die you will know. . .You have been warned. . .
i laugh as i await your next question that would finally convince you that there is no God. Meanwhile, stop exhibiting agberoism. It's the compelling act of calling passengers into a vehicle without plans to follow the vehicle.
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by InesQor(m): 11:10pm On Mar 10, 2013
Image123:
i laugh as i await your next question that would finally convince you that there is no God. Meanwhile, stop exhibiting agberoism. It's the compelling act of calling passengers into a vehicle without plans to follow the vehicle.
LMAO
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by truthislight: 7:55am On Mar 11, 2013
Image123:
grin
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Kay17: 7:53pm On Mar 17, 2013
InesQor:

Mohammed's sources in the Quran were ancient Arabian beliefs and practices, Sabian and Jewish beliefs and fables, Zoroastrian and Hanif elements, AND Christian and Christian Apocryphal books. We are here concerned with his Christian sources.

His main Christian source was his first wife Khadija's cousin Waraqa who was a Christian. He was also given a present: a Christian slave girl (Mary, an Egyptian copt who became his concubine and he married her after she gave birth to a son). His last main Christian source were Christians in the village of Najran, further south of Medina.

A distinguishing difference between this scenario and that of the early Judeo-Christians, however, is that Muhammad could not AT ALL read the books from which the Christians used. It was all hearsay, and he was not scholastic in his approach.

However, as I already said earlier on in the thread,

Repeat: The account of the Muslims is authoritative to THEM and holds precedence FOR THEM.

Now, you ask:

No, No and No again. How can there be an authoritative Christian understanding of a Muslim religious text?

As I said, I say again:

Authority refers to an official, administrative or definitive exercise of dominant control or a potency of ideals within an association, organization, group or other collective. An authority is always restricted in its scope of office.

Which means your riposte is just another non-sequitur.
I find your exposë agreeable only to some extent.

However Christianity is intended as a continuing episode of judaism, in that Jesus accepts the precepts and authority of Jews and therefore uses such precepts as a foundation, a launching pad for his theology/religion. Because without judaism there is no Christianity, and a poor understanding of Judaism will render Christianity inadequate.

This problem affects Christianity only, other religions despite their borrowed contents lean on their own authority/force.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Christianity: Unconditional Love / A Nairalander Visits The Sacred Grave Of Queen Sheba (pics) / Why Are The Christians On Nairaland So Afraid Of Atheists?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.