Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,277 members, 7,815,469 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

Authoritative View Of The Old Testament - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Authoritative View Of The Old Testament (4173 Views)

Pope Francis Has Changed My View Of Homosexuals / Is Morality Possible Without An Authoritative Source? / Is "God" Of The Old Testament Satan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by mazaje(m): 5:50pm On Feb 15, 2012
Whose view of the old testament should be considered authoritative, that of the christians or jew? I say this because the two religions have very different views of the old testament.For example, the jews see the garden of eden story as man’s elevation to a moral sense and awareness, while christians  on the other hand see the eden story as the fall of man. Jews do not recognize and believe the original sin hypothesis while christians do and that is a great difference since both of them read from the same book.

I notice that jews do not completely regard the whole old testament as historical, they have no problem stating that some of the stories are allegories and not historical, but christians don't usually share that view. . .

Whose interpretation should be authoritative and hold precedence? That of the jews or Christians?
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 5:55pm On Feb 15, 2012
You should have done your homework before posting such a very general description of the issues mentioned.

First off Torah and mainly orthodox Jews believe in the same story of creation as is succinctly laid out in the book of Genesis, while the Talmudic Jews and Kaba Jews may have different interpretations.

Also not all Christians believe in original sin, a small number of Christians along with Jews reject the concept of original sin. I personally believe in original sin , in that we are all born with a tendency to sin and without the atonement of Christ we are lost. We need a new birth to be free from sin.

In summary , your title is totally 'misroad' in that it is based on the fallacy that all Jews treat the bible as allegories and that Christians hold the same view of original sin.

get your facts right !!
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by mazaje(m): 6:59pm On Feb 15, 2012
frosbel:

You should have done your homework before posting such a very general description of the issues mentioned.

I did and that was why i started the topic. . . .

First off Torah and mainly orthodox Jews believe in the same story of creation as is succinctly laid out in the book of Genesis, while the Talmudic Jews and Kaba Jews may have different interpretations.

You just ran off tangent as usual without addressing anything that was raised. . . .No body is talking about the creation story, that is your own making. . .The bottom line is that the jews regardless of the sect they belong to do not share the same views of the garden of eden story with the christians. . .While the christians associate the story with the fall of man the jews do not. . .So my question remains valid, whose view of holds precedence that of the jews or christians?. . .

Also not all Christians believe in original sin, a small number of Christians along with Jews reject the concept of original sin. I personally believe in original sin , in that we are all born with a tendency to sin and without the atonement of Christ we are lost. We need a new birth to be free from sin.

Irrelevant, the conventional christian view of the eden story= fall of man, jews do not agree with that even though its from the same book. . .Jews do not believe in original sin and fall of man, while a large percentage of christians do. Whose interpretation should hold precedence? The Jewish view or the Christian one? Remember the parallel interpretations come from the same book and same stories. . .

In summary , your title is totally 'misroad' in that it is based on the fallacy that all Jews treat the bible as allegories and that Christians hold the same view of original sin.

get your facts right !!

Where exactly did i state that all jews treat the bible as allegories, i said they have no problems treating some of the stories as allegory while many christians do not. . . .
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Image123(m): 8:10pm On Feb 15, 2012
@OP, you berra believe the christian's authority. Those Jews are really 'Jew men'(no pun intended). They are blind for now. So you take what we say, hook, line and sinker, okay?

"For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in." (Romans 11:25).

1 Like

Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by mazaje(m): 8:57pm On Feb 15, 2012
Image123:

@OP, you berra believe the christian's authority. Those Jews are really 'Jew men'(no pun intended). They are blind for now. So you take what we say, hook, line and sinker, okay?

The OT was written by the jews, compiled by the jews and preserved by them. . .Long before the christian religion was born they had their own view and interpretation of THEIR holy books. . . .Why should the christian interpretation be taken above their own when the OT is theirs?. . . .

"For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in." (Romans 11:25).

Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 10:51pm On Feb 15, 2012
mazaje:

Whose view of the old testament should be considered authoritative, that if the christians or jew? I say this because the two religions have very different views of the old testament.For example, the jews see the garden of eden story as man’s elevation to a moral sense and awareness, while christians on the other hand see the eden story as the fall of man. Jews do not recognize original sin while christians do and that is a great difference since both of them read from the same book.

If this is true, the allegory makes sense. Moral sense and awareness coming from the fruit while god wanted them to live in bliss.

Christians messed up the Jews' story. If was a Jew, I would call them out on it every chance I get. Lmao
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by mazaje(m): 3:44am On Feb 16, 2012
Martian:

If this is true, the allegory makes sense. Moral sense and awareness coming from the fruit while god wanted them to live in bliss.

Christians messed up the Jews' story. If was a Jew, I would call them out on it every chance I get. Lmao

Its true, found out from some Jewish friends. . .Used to think the Jews also believed in original sin, fall of man and all that. . . .Just go to know that they do not believe in the christian interpretations of the garden of eden story at all. . .
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 6:02am On Feb 16, 2012
mazaje:

Its true, found out from some Jewish friends. . .Used to think the Jews also believed in original sin, fall of man and all that. . . .Just go to know that they do not believe in the christian interpretations of the garden of eden story at all. . .

The more you know.

The jews already regard it as an allegory and the Catholics who stole the story even accept their "version" is an allegory. So what are we good old black folks waiting for? We have our heads buried in the sand and we willl continue to bleat about "original sin" and being "under grace" and not "under the law" and Jesus saving us from an allegory.

We are so smart!!!
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 7:00am On Feb 16, 2012
The "soul" is pure at birth
Humans are born morally pure; Judaism has no concept analogous to original sin. Judaism affirms that people are born with a yetzer ha-tov (יצר הטוב), a tendency to do good, and with a yetzer hara (יצר הרע), a tendency to do evil. Thus human beings have free will and can choose the path in life that they will take. The rabbis even recognize a positive value to the yetzer ha-ra: without the yetzer ha-ra there would be no civilization or other fruits of human labor. The implication is that yetzer ha-tov and yetzer ha-ra are best understood not only as moral categories of good and evil but as the inherent conflict within man between selfless and selfish orientations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_principles_of_faith

The messianic age
There will be a Jewish Messiah known as Mashiach, a king who will rule the Jewish people independently and according to Jewish law. The Jewish vision of Messianic times has little to do with the Christian definition of this term. Jewish views of the Messiah as derived from the Davidic line, the Messianic era, and the afterlife are discussed in the entry on Jewish eschatology
The Hebrew word Mashiach (or Moshiach) refers to the Jewish idea of the Messiah. Like the English word Messiah, Mashiach means anointed.[1]
The Jewish messiah refers to a human leader, physically descended from the Davidic line, who will rule and unite the people of Israel[2] and will usher in the Messianic Age[3] of global and universal peace. While the Jewish messiah is considered to be one of the things that precede creation[4], he is not considered to be divine nor is he considered to be Jesus, in sharp contrast to Christian belief

In the rabbinic literatures of the Talmud and the Jewish Kabbalah,[37] the scholars agree that there are two types of spiritual places called Garden in Eden. The first is rather terrestrial, of abundant fertility and luxuriant vegetation, known as the "lower Gan Eden". The second is envisioned as being celestial, the habitation of righteous, Jewish and non-Jewish, immortal souls, known as the "higher Gan Eden". The Rabbanim differentiate between Gan and Eden. Adam is said to have dwelt only in the Gan. Whereas Eden is said never to be witnessed by any mortal eye.[38]

According to Jewish eschatology,[39][40] the "higher Gan Eden" is called the "Garden of Righteousness". It has been created since the beginning of the world, and will appear gloriously at the end of time. The righteous dwelling there will enjoy the sight of the heavenly Chayot carrying the throne of God. Each of the righteous will walk with God, who will lead them in a dance. Its Jewish and non-Jewish inhabitants are "clothed with garments of light and eternal life, and eat of the tree of life" (Enoch 58,3) near to God and His anointed ones.[38] This Jewish rabbinical concept of a "higher Gan Eden" is opposed by the Hebrew terms Gehinnom[41] and Sheol, figurative names for the place of spiritual purification for the wicked dead in Judaism, a place envisioned as being at the greatest possible distance from "heaven".[42]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_of_Eden
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 7:10am On Feb 16, 2012
This is one is for both sides and their arguements about Abraham's two sons. It seemed the "apostle formerly known as Saul" thought the story was an allegory too.

Galatians 4 21-31
Slave versus free
21 Tell me—those of you who want to be under the Law—don’t you listen to the Law? 22 It’s written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and one by the free woman. 23 The son by the slave woman was conceived the normal way, but the son by the free woman was conceived through a promise. 24 These things are an allegory: the women are two covenants. One is from Mount Sinai, which gives birth to slave children; this is Hagar. 25 Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and she corresponds to the present-day Jerusalem, because the city is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother. 27 It’s written:
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by mazaje(m): 11:09am On Feb 16, 2012
Martian:

The more you know.

The jews already regard it as an allegory and the Catholics who stole the story even accept their "version" is an allegory. So what are we good old black folks waiting for? We have our heads buried in the sand and we willl continue to bleat about "original sin" and being "under grace" and not "under the law" and Jesus saving us from an allegory.

We are so smart!!!

The way some deluded Africans go about breaking the story, you will think they know what they are saying, some will even tell you that the jews that OWN the stories and traditions are wrong and do not know what they are talking about. . . .
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by mazaje(m): 11:11am On Feb 16, 2012
Martian:

This is one is for both sides and their arguements about Abraham's two sons. It seemed the "apostle formerly known as Saul" thought the story was an allegory too.

Galatians 4 21-31
Slave versus free
21 Tell me—those of you who want to be under the Law—don’t you listen to the Law? 22 It’s written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and one by the free woman. 23 The son by the slave woman was conceived the normal way, but the son by the free woman was conceived through a promise. 24 These things are an allegory: the women are two covenants. One is from Mount Sinai, which gives birth to slave children; this is Hagar. 25 Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and she corresponds to the present-day Jerusalem, because the city is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother. 27 It’s written:

Is Paul or who ever wrote the story saying that the Abraham and his sons story is an allegory?. . .Some people will come here and be talking about the Abraham , Ishmael and Issac story as if they were there. . . .Delusion at its finest. . .
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 1:26pm On Feb 16, 2012
mazaje:

The way some deluded Africans go about breaking the story, you will think they know what they are saying, some will even tell you that the jews that OWN the stories and traditions are wrong and do not know what they are talking about. . .

Exhibit A
Image123:

@OP, you berra believe the christian's authority. Those Jews are really 'Jew men'(no pun intended). They are blind for now. So you take what we say, hook and sinker, okay?

Then they quote more allegories and unknown authors.
Image123:

Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by mazaje(m): 3:53pm On Feb 16, 2012
Martian:

Exhibit A
Then they quote more allegories and unknown authors.

grin grin. . . .Image123 says the jews are blind. . . . . grin grin. . . .The real custodians of the stories and traditions are blind, eh?. . . .Interesting. . .
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by dalaman: 7:03pm On Feb 16, 2012
I never knew Christians and Jews hold two different views about Eden. So Jews do not believe in fall of man and original sin.
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by mazaje(m): 2:31am On Mar 02, 2012
dalaman:

I never knew Christians and Jews hold two different views about Eden. So Jews do not believe in fall of man and original sin.

The hold very different views. . . .I want Christians to explain to us why we are to accept their own hypothesis and explanation against the hypothesis and explanation of those that actually wrote down the stories and own the original tradition themselves. . .
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by mazaje(m): 2:07pm On Mar 02, 2012
I want to hear Olaadegbu's view on this, why should the christian explanation be accepted over that of the jews when the story and tradition belongs to them?. . . .It seems no christian wants to touch this. . . .
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by mazaje(m): 11:35pm On Mar 07, 2013
Just bumped into this thread. . .
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 10:02am On Mar 08, 2013
Kai! See as christians avoid this thread!

Bumped....Goshen, Anony and co....we are waiting

1 Like

Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Image123(m): 12:00pm On Mar 08, 2013
mazaje: Just bumped into this thread. . .
i already addressed it and quoted Christian authority to which you had/have no answer.
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 12:23pm On Mar 08, 2013
Image123:
i already addressed it and quoted Christian authority to which you had/have no answer.

>>>
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Image123(m): 12:28pm On Mar 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

>>>
meaning?
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 12:39pm On Mar 08, 2013
Image123:
meaning?

to the left (Yaba preferably)

NEXT!

1 Like

Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by mazaje(m): 1:43pm On Mar 08, 2013
Image123:

Christian authority?. . .
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by DeepSight(m): 2:26pm On Mar 08, 2013
On the question of authourity, there can not possibly be any doubt as to which is authouritative and which is not. The Jews have had their Torah for thousands of years. It is a Jewish book and therefore the Jewish understanding of it must remain the only authouritative understanding of it.

It is ridiculous, for a few Jews to start a splinter group with an altogether different understanding from the mainstream understanding of the Jewish scripture, and then claim any authourity in that regard. No matter how big and widespread Christianity is, it will always be merely a corrupted (and blasphemous) splinter from Judaism.

Here are just some of the differences in key beliefs between Judaism and Christianity:

1. Judaism:
- says that no human can ever die or atone for the sins of others and sins can only be atoned for by animal sacrifice or prayer and restitution
Christianity:
- says that Jesus died for the sins of mankind

2. Judaism:
- says that all humans are born pure, and innocent
Christianity:
- says that all humans are born with 'original sin'.

3. Judaism:
- says that no man gets a 'second coming' and the Messiah will not need one
Christianity:
- says that Jesus will have a 'second coming'

4. Judaism:
- says that every human should speak directly to G-d (without intermediaries)
Christianity:
- Jesus claims in the 'new testament' that the 'only way' to G-d is via him*

5. Judaism:
- says G-d is one, indivisible, cannot be separated into three aspects/incarnations
Christianity:
- speaks of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit

6. Judaism:
- says that we are all equally G-d's children
Christianity:
- says that Jesus was 'God's son' above all others, and any who accept him will become children of God

7. Judaism:
- has no concept of 'hell' or eternal damnation
Christianity:
- Christians say that non-believers go to 'hell' and are eternally damned

8. Judaism:
- has no 'devil', the Jewish 'Satan' is just an ordinary angel, under G-d's control
Christianity:
- describes 'Satan' as a devil and 'fallen' angel

9. Judaism:
- the 'messiah' will be a normal, mortal man who must fulfill all the Jewish messianic prophecies in one normal, mortal lifetime
Christianity:
- Jesus was the 'messiah' and will fulfill the Christian messianic prophecies when he 'returns'

10. Judaism:
- says that the righteous of all faiths will reach 'gan eden' or 'garden of Eden.
Christianity:
-Christians insist that only those who 'know Christ' can reach heaven

11. Judaism:
- forbids Jews from trying to convert anyone to Judaism
Christianity:
- believes in actively 'witnessing' and encouraging people to convert to Christianity

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_some_differences_between_Judaism_and_Christianity

1 Like

Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 08, 2013
Deep Sight:
On the question of authourity, there can not possibly be any doubt as to which is authouritative and which is not. The Jews have had their Torah for thousands of years. It is a Jewish book and therefore the Jewish understanding of it must remain the only authouritative understanding of it.

It is ridiculous, for a few Jews to start a splinter group with an altogether different understanding from the mainstream understanding of the Jewish scripture, and then claim any authourity in that regard. No matter how big and widespread Christianity is, it will always be merely a corrupted (and blasphemous) splinter from Judaism.

Here are just some of the differences in key beliefs between Judaism and Christianity:

1. Judaism:
- says that no human can ever die or atone for the sins of others and sins can only be atoned for by animal sacrifice or prayer and restitution
Christianity:

2. Judaism:
Christianity:

3. Judaism:
Christianity:

4. Judaism:
Christianity:

5. Judaism:
- says G-d is one, indivisible, cannot be separated into three aspects/incarnations
Christianity:

6. Judaism:
Christianity:
- says that Jesus was 'God's son' above all others, and any who accept him will become children of God

7. Judaism:
Christianity:

8. Judaism:
- has no 'devil', the Jewish 'Satan' is just an ordinary angel, under G-d's control
Christianity:

9. Judaism:
- the 'messiah' will be a normal, mortal man who must fulfill all the Jewish messianic prophecies in one normal, mortal lifetime
Christianity:
- Jesus was the 'messiah' and will fulfill the Christian messianic prophecies when he 'returns'

10. Judaism:
- says that the righteous of all faiths will reach 'gan eden' or 'garden of Eden.
Christianity:

11. Judaism:
Christianity:
- believes in actively 'witnessing' and encouraging people to convert to Christianity

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_some_differences_between_Judaism_and_Christianity

This is the Deepsight I love! (no homo)

Good work bro!

Excellent answer
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by mazaje(m): 3:17pm On Mar 08, 2013
Deep Sight:

1. Judaism:
Christianity:

2. Judaism:
Christianity:

3. Judaism:
Christianity:

4. Judaism:
Christianity:

5. Judaism:
Christianity:

6. Judaism:
Christianity:

7. Judaism:
Christianity:

8. Judaism:
Christianity:

9. Judaism:
Christianity:

10. Judaism:
Christianity:

11. Judaism:
Christianity:

Wow!. . .Very interesting. . .I didn't know that so much difference exist btw the two religions. . .The lack of proselytization is what has made Judaism a minority religion. . .I completely agree with you that the OT a Jewish book and therefore the Jewish understanding of it should and must remain the only authoritative understanding of it.
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 3:21pm On Mar 08, 2013
I bet several of them christians will be surprised to find out that they and the jews do not agree on the OT.Christians have succeeded in embellishing and 'christianizing' the OT beyond what the original writers intended.I remember how I used to notice how the preacher in church read totally different meanings into simple OT texts from the bible.I think,just as @ deepsight has said,the Jews have absolute authority over the OT.Christians should stick to their NT.

1 Like

Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Image123(m): 5:09pm On Mar 08, 2013
mazaje:

Christian authority?. . .
yes, Christian authority.
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Image123(m): 5:11pm On Mar 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

to the left (Yaba preferably)

NEXT!
oh that's the left direction legion whispers to you?
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 5:16pm On Mar 08, 2013
Image123:
oh that's the left direction legion whispers to you?

you get the point!
Re: Authoritative View Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 08, 2013
Image123:
yes, Christian authority.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Atheists and Traditionalists Come In. / Did Jesus Knew He'll Be Resurrected Right From Heaven Before He Came To Earth? / Annointing Oil In Private Part To Cast Out Demons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.