Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,672 members, 7,955,469 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:50 AM

Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again (13932 Views)

Oshiomhole Ditches Khakhi Uniform For Designer Suits (Photos) / PHOTO: Nigerian Police To Pay N100m Compensation Over Death Of Lawyer Detainee / Igbo Appeal To Lagos Govt, Police To Protect Them After Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by OAM4J: 2:27am On Feb 16, 2012
Police To Change Uniform Again

Acting Inspector-General of police, Mr. Mohammed Abubakar has announced in Uyo, Akwa Ibom state capital, southsouth Nigeria that efforts were being made to change the Nigeria Police uniform very soon.

“We are making efforts to change the police uniform to a better uniform to l make you (police officers) to be respected,” Abubakar revealed while addressing officers and men of the Nigeria police force during his maiden visit to Akwa Ibom state after his appointment as acting Inspector General of Police.

He said Tuesday training programmes for police personnel this year have been put on hold because facilities are in shambles, adding “ while every officer in the police was entitled to training courses, failure at courses after second attempts would not be tolerated.

“Our training institutions are so bad enough, I will not allow my officers to go on courses and use their money to buy water, bread and other needs.

“There is need for national rebirth in the Nigeria Police, the era of corruption is over. We will allow competence and merit to take place,” Abubakar declared.

He said that posting in the police would henceforth be based on the individual’s capacity to deliver while promotion would be based on performance at promotion courses.

“We must redouble our effort in changing the damaging image that we have in the police today.

“There is need for you to change your attitude to work, there is need for us to go back to the basis of policing in this country. So many things have been done unprofessionally,” the IGP said.

He, however, commended the Akwa Ibom Police Command for reducing the crime rate in the state and urged the command to be proactive.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the IGP, who was the immediate past Assistant Inspector-General (AIG) in charge of Zone Six, Calabar, was on a working visit to Akwa Ibom.

During the visit, he inaugurated a special crime-fighting squad funded by the state government and code-named Quick Response Squad (QRS).

He also inaugurated earlier a fleet of 50 vehicles equipped by the state government for the QRS scheme at Government House, Uyo.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/02/15/police-to-change-uniform-again/
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by Kobojunkie: 2:38am On Feb 16, 2012
OAM4J:

“We must redouble our effort in changing the damaging image that we have in the police today.
.  . . . , 
[b]“We are making efforts to change the police uniform to a better uniform to l make you (police officers) to be respected,” Abubakar revealed [/b]while addressing officers and men of the Nigeria police force during his maiden visit to Akwa Ibom state after his appointment as acting Inspector General of Police.

that sounds better
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by BlackPikiN(m): 3:12am On Feb 16, 2012
I support 1000% o.

Let them make a nice uniform with no pockets.
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by Beaf: 3:31am On Feb 16, 2012
BlackPikiN:

I support 1000% o.

Let them make a nice uniform with no pockets.

Lol!!! grin

I think these will do nicely. No hand to take collect sef grin:

[img]http://2.bp..com/_v24HZnm8kXI/THAEJ3P4qDI/AAAAAAAAEL8/fTnzu3EHArc/s1600/straight-jacket.jpg[/img]
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by Nobody: 3:39am On Feb 16, 2012
Larger pockets.

More pockets.

Extra pockets.

Categorized pockets (#20 bills, #50 bills, etc).

Brother pockets (poor victims)

Oga, baba, etc pockets (rich victims)

Anywaz, how much millions will it be costing Nigerians for these extra padded additional pockets?

cheesy

Fresh air!!
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by cashmentor(m): 5:28am On Feb 16, 2012
Pockets or no pockets, old uniforms or brand new ones, They're still the Same Old Brand New Police!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by Yeske2(m): 8:08am On Feb 16, 2012
A Leopard never changes its skin or do i say old wine in new bottle, same old NPF.
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by Nobody: 8:37am On Feb 16, 2012
It will go a long way in changing our perception of the police coz that black uniform smells death.
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by rhymestech: 8:41am On Feb 16, 2012
I don't see any sense in the change of uniform from black to whichever colour.
All they need to change is their BLACK MIND & MENTALLY not their black uniform to white when their minds remain black.
God bless Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by kokoA(m): 8:43am On Feb 16, 2012
Yea I think they have to for their own security. The boko boiz have gotten used to the present uniform(s). Pls, can someone tell me why the bigmen in police have a different uniform (light blue on black) from the hungry, "20-naira" collecting ones (black 0n black)?
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by otondo55: 8:43am On Feb 16, 2012
Rotten, Smelly Nigeria Police !
One of worst that can happen to man-kind.

Washing the pot outside while the back remains dirty.
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by Ninilowo(m): 8:45am On Feb 16, 2012
Good idea! And at least each of them should get 3 pairs with boots. The idea of baton should be re introduced to minimise extra judicial killings and "accidental discharge" that are very rampant among the cops. Minimum entry requirement should be NCE, ND or 1st degree. Training on weapon handling should be constant and only blank amo should be issued to officers operating within d metropolis.
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by Okijajuju1(m): 8:48am On Feb 16, 2012
I support!!

BUT!

Let the new uniform reflect a new Police force.

There is a wise quote I made 1500 years ago, "Putting a bad product in a new package, changes nothing".

Repair your police training colleges. You can bring in Americans, Brits and some europeans to build you a standard POLICE ACADEMY, complete with lecture halls, dorms, obstacle course, driving range, shooting range and a mechnaics workshop for weapons training. When this is built up and there should be several of them littered around the 6 geo-political zones, hire Lawyers, ex-police officers from home and abroad to teach your officers first and foremost "THE LAW THEY ARE TO BE ENFORCING". Its sad that officers do not even know the law. Also, the ex-police lecturers would also provide weapons and tactical training.

After every officer must have passed a physical and written examination to be conducted and supervised by the JUDICARY if possible, then they are issued the new Nigerian uniform complete with a big Bronve/Silver/Gold Nigerian Police Badge, a 9mm pistol (not big AK-47's), a Baton, a walkie talkie, 2 sets of handcuffs, pepper spray and a notepad.

And voila, you have yourself a police force that the people would not be afriad of but rather genuinely respect.
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by BlueMurder(m): 8:51am On Feb 16, 2012
To be honest, the Nigeria Police uniform is one of the most uninspiring in the world. Changing it would be a very welcome development.
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by akinnux(m): 8:53am On Feb 16, 2012
I believe the new police boss should be more focused and stop majoring on the minors.
What the Nigerian Police needs is change of heart and reorientation.
Making the police to work professionally with state-of-the-art facilities should be his priority.
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by ACM10: 8:57am On Feb 16, 2012
What about changing their psychology?

Is this move not the case of old wine in a new skin?

Methinks the whole police force should undergo compulsory re-education starting from the IG.
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by stormm: 9:00am On Feb 16, 2012
Dem wan start again, the hood makes the monk, new uniform na the police  shocked shocked shocked angry angry angry angry.

The man should just shut and roll his sleeves to work. How will the police work without equipment or does he think anyone will attempt to defuse those IEDs without proper equipment, or that the officers are not now more afraid of the better armed criminals and Boko Haram?

Even if he wants to chop, there are more creative and productive ways than changing uniforms. Only in Naija, uniform changes with every new IG. Rubbish
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by ifyalways(f): 9:02am On Feb 16, 2012
Oh really?
He must be a magician.
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by prettyboi1(m): 9:15am On Feb 16, 2012
Okija_juju:

I support!!

BUT!

There is a wise quote I made 1500 years ago, "Putting a bad product in a new package, changes nothing".

Repair your police training colleges. You can bring in Americans, Brits and some europeans to build you a standard POLICE ACADEMY, complete with lecture halls, dorms, obstacle course, driving range, shooting range and a mechnaics workshop for weapons training. When this is built up and there should be several of them littered around the 6 geo-political zones, hire Lawyers, ex-police officers from home and abroad to teach your officers first and foremost "THE LAW THEY ARE TO BE ENFORCING". Its sad that officers do not even know the law. Also, the ex-police lecturers would also provide weapons and tactical training.

After every officer must have passed a physical and written examination to be conducted and supervised by the JUDICARY if possible, then they are issued the new Nigerian uniform complete with a big Bronve/Silver/Gold Nigerian Police Badge, a 9mm pistol (not big AK-47's), a Baton, a walkie talkie, 2 sets of handcuffs, pepper spray and a notepad.

And voila, you have yourself a police force that the people would not be afriad of but rather genuinely respect.

I agree with you a 100% on everyone of ur suggestions here, Exactly what I have always proposed.
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by hbabe(f): 9:23am On Feb 16, 2012
Hope the new uniform will inspire them and cause positive change in their attitude. So that it won't turn out to be a case of 'wash monkey, baff money; monkey na monkey'.
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by garba(m): 9:27am On Feb 16, 2012
let them sweat in that black leather for another decade pls

Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by garba(m): 9:31am On Feb 16, 2012
hbabe:

Hope the new uniform will inspire them and cause positive change in their attitude. So that it won't turn out to be a case of 'wash monkey, baff money; monkey na monkey'.

Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by Oluwa4Sure: 9:57am On Feb 16, 2012
As My Bros Would Say; "You Can't Shine Sh.it!
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by pcicero(m): 10:10am On Feb 16, 2012
“We are making efforts to change the police uniform to a better uniform to l make you (police officers) to be respected,” Abubakar revealed while addressing officers and men of the Nigeria police force during his maiden visit to Akwa Ibom state after his appointment as acting Inspector General of Police

Another clueless IG on throne. Of all the myriads of challenges facing the Force is changing the uniform most important?
Is it not a fallacy for the IG to assume that changing the police uniform would earn them the much needed respect? What of illegal mounting of roadblocks, 'forceful' extortions, reckless and inhuman treatment of innocent Nigerians and suspected criminals, extra judicial killings etc.

This is a clear pointer that Mr Abubakar is already following in the footsteps of his predecessors and we can only guess his scorecards at the end of his tenure.
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by Pa22(m): 10:21am On Feb 16, 2012
Okija_juju:

I support!!

BUT!

Almost the best solution. But you just gave the Nigerian Police an 'easy to say, hard to do' task & the Nigerian Govt will see it as a white elephant project which will enable them embezzle more funds. They're very much aware of these needed changes. Let's hope they're willing O!
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by jspac(m): 11:18am On Feb 16, 2012
Make the pockets bigger.
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by jspac(m): 11:18am On Feb 16, 2012
Make the pockets bigger.
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by eghost247(m): 11:19am On Feb 16, 2012
npf wink
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by jspac(m): 11:23am On Feb 16, 2012
Okija_juju:

I support!!

BUT!

*Day-dreaming*
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by Baawaa(m): 11:28am On Feb 16, 2012
There is need for national rebirth in the Nigeria Police, the era of corruption is over. We will allow competence and merit to take place,” Abubakar declared.
NPF is real corruption
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by uzoexcel(m): 11:31am On Feb 16, 2012
rhymestech:

I don't see any sense in the change of uniform from black to whichever colour.
All they need to change is their BLACK MIND & MENTALLY not their black uniform to white when their minds remain black.
God bless Nigeria.

h gat dat tight!!!!!If a generator is faulty do u repair  it or repaint it another colour
Re: Nigerian Police To Change Uniform Again by REVOLUTNIS: 11:32am On Feb 16, 2012
changing their uniform doesn't make them better police officers.
change their corrupt and inhuman nature and they will be better,
Nigerian police is the most thing that happen to mankind,

(1) (2) (Reply)

LG Poll Holds Today In Ondo Without Main Opposition Party / How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers / Kaduna State Government Orders Investigation Into Flogging Of Balki Commander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.