Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,661 members, 7,816,693 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently (25273 Views)

I Got A Job Recently.need Your Advice Urgently / My Job Interview Experience Today / How Shoki Song Cost Me My Job. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Lollysbride: 4:10pm On Feb 18, 2012
Start sometin with dat amnt and keep u marriage preparation pending. I pray u get better help cos advise is all i can give for now. In cases like dis,u ought to have had anoda back up cos u dnt always depend on ur job.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Torombo(m): 4:13pm On Feb 18, 2012
Geiorgee,

Please don't despair and see this as another chapter beginning in your life and where you end up depends on how positively you respond to the current situation.

The first thing you should do from today is to adjust your lifestyle to the current reality.  You shouldn't live as if you have a steady income from the bank and I will question putting N300k into house rent when you don't know where your next income is coming from.

Next, I will suggest you make your close family and friends aware of the situation.  There really is no point pretending to them everything is ok and even if they can't help you getting a new job, they are your support for anything you move on to do next.

The situation could be an ideal opportunity to develop a closer bond with your fiancee, and if she really is the one for you, she will stand by you through this period.  If it was me, I will go ahead with the wedding but on a highly scaled back basis.  There really should be no need to postpone it as you have a child on the way that you need to think about.

My final advice is that you need to believe in yourself that you have the skills and talent within you to achieve anything you decide to do next.  You need to assess where opportunities might be available given your qualifications and experience, develop a plan of action and pursue that with vigour.

I was in a similar situation to you this time last year having suddenly been made redundant from a very lucrative job.  Following the principles I outlined above, I managed to secure another job within a few months, while most of my former colleagues are still looking with many still bitter from the experience.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Acidosis(m): 4:14pm On Feb 18, 2012
and why is your fiancee crying? ? ? was she sacked too?  lipsrsealed?
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by sirp2007: 4:16pm On Feb 18, 2012
congratulation broda!!! its d beginning of a greater life for u.just have tis at d back of ur mind ''WHEN YOU ARE DOWN TO NOTHING,GOD IS UP TO SOMETHING''
Mediate on this scripture day and night until d light in them enter u.ISAIAH 43 VS1-2 AND PSALMS 66 VS 12.ROMANS 8 VS 28
Dont ever indulge in self pity
Dont ever be discourage
l once was in similar position 6yrs ago.l immersed myself in those scriptures,now l earn more than 15times of wht l use to earn.  
CHEER UP BRODA,ITS WELL
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Aussie(m): 4:17pm On Feb 18, 2012
Don't renew ur accommodation with 300k, how do u intend to service this yearly when there is no job at hand presently. I will advise u move to maybe, ikorodu where u can get a decent self contain for that amount and for two years. Don't pretend and cut down ur spending. Go to a registry to legalise ur union and keep ur head up. All the best.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by scanthecar: 4:18pm On Feb 18, 2012
georgee,
inbox your phone number to scanthatcar@gmail.com. I will give you a call. I need to know more about your met and mats background. Do you have any skill concerning met and mats, I will give you a call once I get your number. I am not promising you anything but I will definitely be of help.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by femmy2010(m): 4:25pm On Feb 18, 2012
it is well.
Pray for a way and you do be surprise hpw God would turn your N800k to millions in a short while.
It is well.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by tanimola22: 4:29pm On Feb 18, 2012
scanthecar:

georgee,
inbox your phone number to scanthatcar@gmail.com. I will give you a call. I need to know more about your met and mats background. Do you have any skill concerning met and mats, I will give you a call once I get your number. I am not promising you anything but I will definitely be of help.

Assertively correct talk.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by gabbytabby: 4:31pm On Feb 18, 2012
If you dont mind me asking what was your salary when you were at the bank, how old are you, what is the job situation with your partner is she employed or nature of her trade, what area do you live at the present time.

Email me at alayandeproperties@yahoo.com
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by MMJ(m): 4:41pm On Feb 18, 2012
This is a lesson to all other bankers to make hay while the sun shine,

plan ahead, plan ur exit whilst still on the job, no one can tell the future.

@poster, take heart, that might be the begining of ur greater success. Remember the guy that started the security door business in Nigeria was a former banker that was sacked, and today, he is a billionaire.

Think of a business you can do and look up to God for success. it is well
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by georgee(m): 4:46pm On Feb 18, 2012
Thank u all for your constructive responses, @occam, tnx a bunch, @dargly, i spent 3.5yrs in foreign operations dept of oceanic bank. I was nt a contract staff. I neva owed the bank anything. I live a low key life wit my fiancee. I live in surulere lagos.
@hollandis, i dnt rilly knw wat to tell u. Av alwys been against pple who talk jst 4 talking sake, u wana try add salt 2 my injury, but i wont allow u, wia in my post did i state dat pple shuld contribute money 4me? Fear God!
Life itself is a risk, and its full of ups and downs, Concernin the house rent issue, i rilly appreciate all ur contributions, Wil give it a deep tot. Sme1 said why did my fiancee cry? Wil take dat as a joke. We ar al humans wit feelings. Wasnt expectn her 2 smile,kiss and hug me wen i broke the news to her. Av informed al my immediate family friends for help. They ar currently running arnd 4me. Makin calls here and dia, I pray smethn comes up soon.
@scanthecar, my met/mat background has gone wit my banking experience. I hpe u undestand, Once again thank u everybody 4 ur contributions, I knw God wil do smethn new and make it easy 4 all of us. Amen!
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Femonjay(m): 4:55pm On Feb 18, 2012
God will see you Through,

'' , dont even think of paying house rent from it, cos it means you cant afford the house anymore, ''

If he doesn't pay house rent again where will he be staying? even if our friend is going to get smaller apartment he may end up pay more than this  than this #300,000, by the time they calculate agency fee,caution fee, agreement fee and 2 years rent   .
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by kepsi123(m): 4:56pm On Feb 18, 2012
Your tone is defeatist. Are you nigerian?  we survive and we hustle.i pray you become self employed. No more hassle from employers. This is your time to shine.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by gomentii(m): 5:00pm On Feb 18, 2012
Hmmm!!!just feel lyk 2 chip in;i lost mine 2yrs ago n was desperate 2 startup a biznes,i didn't give masef time 2 cogitate,as i key-in ma advise ma biznes has collapse,bt i finally realized dat i was tryin 2 impress my fiancee instead of masef,nw she don waka:d
so ma advise bro' don't impress anybody, make sure u don't spend frm any biz u myt started,if @all don't spend more dan ur profit if u want dat biz 2 grow.
Gudluck(y)
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by darqly(m): 5:04pm On Feb 18, 2012
@georgee please send your CV to darqly@gmail.com my username is DARQLY so please send to the correct email. No guarantees but I will submit your CV to a reputable financial institution. Move your CV to ALL your contacts and ask them to at least ensure it gets to their HR desks. If you have faith,Let God do the rest. You're already doing the right thing;In this life, its the people we meet that count.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by boardmem(m): 5:07pm On Feb 18, 2012
send me ur cv to sben2308@yahoo.com or sben2308@gmail.com
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by yek: 5:09pm On Feb 18, 2012
hey george . . . be strong ! wink
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by dokunbam(m): 5:21pm On Feb 18, 2012
Send ur cv to hrgetguide@gmail.com
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by AbusM(m): 5:23pm On Feb 18, 2012
@George, @Violent asked about the type of job you would be interested in for now, well i know as it is, all you should care about is to begin to earn your keep again, believe me, God will lift you, 2006, I was at UBA Head Office, got  disengaged alongside some colleagues, the news was hard, the feeling was harrowing and the spirit was low down, that was a job i had shared a testimony over, the very first time i would ever share a testimony in church,

Today, I have changed 3jobs afterwards and Im a commissioned officer of the federal republic of Nigeria, I do my own things too.

Send your CV to differentialstories@gmail.com so we can do the new experiance search together.

It is well with you my brother
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by 234GT(m): 5:25pm On Feb 18, 2012
@ poster, Like most people have said, move to a less expensive home. People may laugh at you, but you know where you are going. Think of cement business. You have a good amount of money to start with. You may go round building sites and offer to supply them cement, or better still, you may meet small construction firms. If your wife to be is not employed, she may manage the cement business while you look for another job. I would still advise you to look for another job because you have experience which money cannot buy. When you get another job, keep your cement business and you would be earning money on two fronts.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Rossikk(m): 5:33pm On Feb 18, 2012
Use that your 800k and go and buy an industrial oven (used), and start baking stuff like donuts, sausage rolls, meatpies, cakes etc. and be distributing round to supermarkets, as well as selling yourself. You can get recipes for these things on the web for free.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by dayokanu(m): 5:50pm On Feb 18, 2012
George,

Does your fiancee work and how much does she earn? I really hope she does cos It would have been foollish to marry someone without a job first

Secondly go ahead with your marriage but reduce all the cost have a very low keyed marriage.

Person wey take 200m marry and person wey use 200 Naira na the same marriage.

Move out of your current house if you havent paid the rent, If you have ask if you can be refunded. Go stay in a cheaper place.

After sorting out wedding and accomodation , Now start a mega hustle. This world is not fair and you have to take it by the scruff of the neck
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by kamuzu(m): 6:01pm On Feb 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvvpyscCcyw

the guy has other talents asides football.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Finecat(m): 6:02pm On Feb 18, 2012
Kinda ironic. I never thought i'd see a day where Nigerian bankers would seek help from "Ordinary" Nigerians. Back in 2005 - 2008, Corrupt bank CEOs made bankers a small gods through illegality.

@OP - take heart, this set back may be the beginning of a brighter future. Don't relent, keep pushing it. But i won't pay N300,000 for rent in this trying times.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Reference(m): 6:05pm On Feb 18, 2012
First thing. Do not renew that rent. Quit that apartment and postpone the wedding. You're a banker so financial advise should be on your cuffs. Crash your expenses fast and bagin to replace every item of critical expenditure with income. Even if you breakthrough in a week (which I hope) this experience will only have served to reboot your system.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by otokx(m): 6:06pm On Feb 18, 2012
taking notes
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by obowunmi(m): 6:07pm On Feb 18, 2012
Move to a cheaper place and ask ur wife to get a JOB.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by sweetpawn1: 6:08pm On Feb 18, 2012
Rossikk:

Use that your 800k and go and buy an industrial oven (used), and start baking stuff like donuts, sausage rolls, meatpies, cakes etc. and be distributing round to supermarkets, as well as selling yourself. You can get recipes for these things on the web for free.

This is the reason why if you are really looking for help, do not post your problems on NL, it will leave you more depressed.

My Guy,
Cool down. Go to your woman. Assure her that everything will be well, only that some things will change. Your mission  might have been shaken, but your vision in life should not be stirred. NEVER, NEVER feel depressed, no matter what!  The fact that you are alive means that you have a chance to grab a big slice of cake from the Shylock Merchant called Life!

Everything starts with your mindset. Surround yourself with negative thoughts and you get negative results, the opposite is the case as well. The BIG MAN UPSTAIRS does not sleep and does not do mistakes. Always remember that. Everything happens for a good reason.

So please do not be depressed. You will reject job offers, when you put on a positive mindset because you will have so many. You will see opportunities that you would never had bothered to explore had it been you were stuck behind the cubicle of a bank. Your life will get a Positive Turn Around. And you will always remember how you OVERCAME the challenge which is why you may decide to give your child a befitting name that will describe your impending success.

So please tell Madam not to cry again. She is about to see the true fighting spirit of the warrior of a husband she married and she will grateful she met you and will never cry again no matter what happens, because of you.

May the Fortunes and Blessings and All Good Things of this Life be with you, Amen.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Nobody: 6:11pm On Feb 18, 2012
@Georgee,

Pay the rent. Its necessary!

Inform your mum and everyone that you lost job and that you are working hard to get another and seek their understanding at these trying times. Let your inlaws know so your marriage can be acceptably low key.

Then depending on your areas of strength, you have a job and your job is to look for a job. If you ask me, I will say, shelve the degree.

Do you own a car ? If you have one, then you are blessed. Keep that pride away, go into Charter services better if you can start it at the VI axis. if you have got no car, and you need to do this, invest into it with the little  you and you will be amazed at how much your worth will be in just 12 months.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Killz3(m): 6:19pm On Feb 18, 2012
1) Move to a not so expensive apartment
2) Think of self employment. If you are in lagos and will like to register for a course on Motor Vehicles. Head to LTV premises and ask for automedics! The course trains you to be a professional mechanic in 3 months and fee is 100k. Course starts in April, and registration is on! If you are interested in the course leaflet, i could forward it you by mail, then you confirm things for yourself. Just lemme know.
3) In view of the current issue on ground, i'd advise against getting married, until your income is stable again. . . Even if it is 100k monthly. Just make sure it is stable. I believe in prayers. But i dont believe in praying and not working towards it. Heaven helps those who helps themselves!
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by Arysexy(m): 6:25pm On Feb 18, 2012
@ poster.

i wasi ur shoe last 3 yrs precisely december 2009, i was retrenched after 1yr 3 months as an ET2 e- banking officer with intercontinental bank with a meagre 500k severance pay. that december was black xmas for me as i didnt travel as i used to and didnt tell my mum until she heard it in january 2010, i immediately hit d street but cudnt get any job for 6 gud months. at a point the 500k got depleted to 300k b4 i settled for phone repair with nokia earning 20k salary whereas i was earning 115,000 at inter. with this 20k i enrolled for CCNA class, wrote and pass the exam, am an elect engr.

To cut the whole story short, i humbled myself, did sme certification and bounced back to my field of study, am now with one of the major telcom companies. i thanks God inter sacked me when i was still single and made be retrace my career step. Guy brace up for the challenges ahead, banking is not the end of the world.
Re: Help Needed, I Just Lost My Job Recently by passyjango(m): 6:30pm On Feb 18, 2012
What is Nigeria turning into? How can a human being who has put in 3 yrs of service be paid N800,000 as his bye-bye package? This is sick.

@Op, I am with those advising you to reappraise your priority. At this stage your priority should be to find your feet. You should also try to convince your loved ones especially your mother that you will get over this soon. Be confident and stop panicking another door will open soon. This might just turn out to be the best thing that has ever happened to you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer / 15 Jobs You Can Do From Home / 7 Reasons Nigerian Youth Are Highly Desperate For White Collar Jobs.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.