Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,044 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer (25285 Views)

#60,000 Salary Job Or Masters Degree? Please Advise Me / Self Employment: The Real Stomach Infrastructure / Would You Prefer A Male Or Female Boss? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by ngozianu(m): 4:47am On Oct 21, 2011
SALARY vs SELF EMPLOYMENT, Which do you prefer

For this reader's information

1 Salary is slavery no matter your position nor take home pay

2 you are P.O.O.R because you Pass Over Opportunities Repeatedly

3 Only the risk takers become rich

4 the rich don't work for salary, they work to gain wealth

5 Only the bold get the gold

6 Only the brave become great,famous and wealthy

7 Those with the lion heart get the lion share

8 I f you keep on waiting for job/salary in Bank ,oil & gas companies, you will keep on wasting your life.
9 Nothing happens until you make it happen
10 what you do not resist has a right to remain
11 what you don’t fight has a right to prevail
12 what you don’t desire, you don’t deserve
13 what you don’t confront, you do not conquer
14 Only those with the liver get the silver
WHY SALARY IS SLAVERY

it never ceases to amaze me that people base their security in jobs. There's no such thing as job security. Anytime you work for someone else, I don't care how much your boss likes you, how well you do your job, or how well or poor the economy gets, you're always looking at an income cap and one pink slip away from possible financial devastation.

Things change. People change. Circumstances change. The economy changes. Life happens.

Have you ever heard the saying, "If it's meant to be, it's up to me?"

Well, today more than ever, men and women need to evaluate their situation and their options for insuring financial security for their families. They really need to understand that if they seek true financial freedom, it's up to them personally, to create it and keep it. And I'm not talking about a job where it could be gone tomorrow. I'm talking about making a decision to be their own boss in which they hold all the cards.

I'll be the first to tell you that not everyone is cut out for entrepreneurship, however, there's a great deal of people who have entertained the idea throughout their lives and it's these people I'm talking about. Some have acted on those dreams and perhaps have failed, and then others have thought about it but have never taken that first step.

What is it that has people so frozen in their dreams of home business ownership, that they stay in a broken work force? They seem so sure that their security is in their jobs, when it's actually the other way around. Security is in working for yourself, being your own boss. But because we are taught from childhood how to be good employees, dreams of entrepreneurship are quashed and most people lack the skills and belief system it takes to be successful in that arena. And, because of that, would-be entrepreneurs never achieve all that they were destined to be. This is a tragedy.

Let's put entrepreneurship v. a job in perspective here and do a quick comparison.

WORKERS/CAREER ORIENTED/EMPLOYEES

This group of individuals invest thousands of dollars on education and give up years of their life to classroom study to be able to enter their career field where they become enslaved. From this point forward, these workers will be told what to do for the next 40 years. It will be dictated as to how much they can earn which determines when, where and for how long they vacation, the type of car they drive, the home they live in, and the effects ripple down even to the food on the table and gifts under the tree at Christmas. Oh, and now they have school loans to pay for years.

HOME BASED BUSINESS OWNERS/ENTREPRENEURS/NETWORK MARKETERS

This group of people invest trivial amounts of money (in comparison to a college education, I'm talking a couple hundred to a couple thousand, no big deal) in an opportunity, generally a network marketing or MLM company, they spend a relatively short amount of time learning skill sets, perhaps attend a seminar or two, begin on the job training immediately, enjoy the privilege of tax write offs, and best of all, does not get up to alarms clocks every morning to shower, shave and shine to head to the rat race. Nobody tells them what to do, what to wear, what they can earn, where they can vacation and their time is their own and there is no such thing as an income cap.

If people would put their fears aside about being their own boss, they would be able to sit back and assess the situation and their options in a more rational way. When you look at the two comparisons, doesn't business ownership make better sense all the way around?

So, the question these Moms and Dads have to answer as they scratch their heads searching for answers to their financial security is whether they choose Plan A, stay in the work force or Plan B, take control of their life through a business of their own. There is no Plan C.

Isn't it worth rolling up your sleeves, learning some skill sets on how to effectively market online, choose a product and industry you are passionate about and create wealth from home? If you're one of those individuals who carry the entrepreneurial spirit deep inside, it's something to think about because it's here, in the home business industry, that one will find the real security.

for free to start online businesses see

1 Like

Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by vb0mb(m): 9:17am On Oct 22, 2011
The answer to your question in your post.
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by delu(f): 2:49pm On Oct 22, 2011
Nice one. You want a product, try skinny fibre. You want an awesome compensation plan, skinny body care is the answer.check it out at www.theskinnyprincess.com
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by LagBlogger(m): 5:55am On Oct 27, 2011
It really depends on what one's situation is.

Left to me self employment is good if you are experienced, have a lot of contacts and have capital to fund your idea otherwise working for someone else seems okay.

1 Like

Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by geepawps(m): 11:33pm On Oct 27, 2011
I prefer both.There is no harm in going to work and also one small business or even an online business like blogging which I am doing at my leisure hour.
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by jlatifah00: 9:14pm On Oct 31, 2011
@geepawps which type of blogging because i have been fooled twice maybe you let me know so that i can start one.
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by jlatifah00: 9:22pm On Oct 31, 2011
@geepawps here is my phone number:08136224028
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by geepawps(m): 2:51am On Nov 01, 2011
@jlatifah00,I don't think we really need to talk if you've visited my blog www.internetinvestmentideas.com but anyway I will send you an sms.I don't have anything to sell oo,it is free from blogger's website.
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by ngozianu(m): 5:27pm On Nov 25, 2011
the list of the richest persons in Lagos,Kano,Kogi,Port Harcourt,Nigeria,Africa and the whole world has no SALARY EARNER On it, period
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by pandoras08(m): 11:52pm On Nov 25, 2011
VISIT WWW.NGJOBQUEST.COM FOR YOUR INFORMATION ON CURRENT JOB OFFERS IN NIGERIA
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by segunjowo(m): 6:35am On Nov 26, 2011
Self employment is the way to the top! See my signature cool
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by Tonjeola1(m): 8:17am On Nov 27, 2011
All employed people or SALARY
earner are living on subsidies. It doesn't matter your position in the company and how
much you are earning today. You are living on borrowed time. Your employer subsidizes your feeding, your water, your transportation, your health. When you leave
employment, those subsidies are gone. Enter the real world where you will then have to provide for everything. Don't expect to rely on your severance pay because that will disappear unless you have built a recurring and sustainable income. Wouldn't you rather start today? It takes time to grow it to match your lifestyle. Visit http://www.fbwebinars.com/fbapps/mattobell . When finished, go to the opportunity website at
www.deston.richandtrim.com and enter to take a tour.
email: sbcpowerline@gmail.com
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by tejuoshom: 8:44am On Nov 29, 2011
People work because there is no alternative to meet their needs,but setting your own business will payoff,no matter how little it is,start something small
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by DuduDutch: 12:05pm On Nov 29, 2011
Why anyone would think they need a salary beats me. Unless you are earning a huge salary, there is hardly anything you will do in this country that will not give you more than your salary.
The only thing I will say is, plan first and do it in 5 steps:
1. Plan to become self-employed in 12-18 months.
2. Do your research (don't be a copycat) and decide on the one thing to start with and do more research.
3. Understand your initial capital requirements and work out a plan to part save and part finance
4. Stay focused and start in bits if possible. Network as much as possible, attend conferences, seminars, speak with people in the industry and other key stakeholders like government.
5. Stick to your plan, save 30% of your earnings monthly even if it (almost) kills you and hand in your notice at the right time.

Of course it helps if your employer is downsizing and is asking for volunteers for early retirement so you can get a nice pay-off. Good luck
DD

1 Like

Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by geepawps(m): 10:56am On Dec 04, 2011
You can go for both. In addition, if you are unemployed and you use facebook often, try to add Nigerian friends that are 40+. Most of them have connections you can leverage on.
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by ngozianu(m): 7:14pm On Dec 05, 2011
this thread is not for posting Job offers,but post business opportunities
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by bvcashflow: 7:48pm On Dec 05, 2011
Hi folks,

My advice is that we should strive to be self employed than waiting for the Almighty Government to help us.

Cheers.
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by hajifaty: 10:39am On Dec 06, 2011
the best thing is to get a good education at least up to secondary level if not up to Uni level then look for a capital and set up your business. No matter the numbers or how many   certificates u  get won't take u to nowhere especially in country like nigeria. A slave will always be a slave.
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by hajifaty: 10:41am On Dec 06, 2011
the best thing is to get a good education at least up to secondary level if not up to Uni level then look for a capital and set up your business. No matter the numbers or how many   certificates u  get. That won't take u to anywhere especially in country like nigeria. A slave will always be a slave.
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 06, 2011
Self employed all the way
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by maki(f): 11:10am On Dec 06, 2011
self employed anyday anytime
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by paniki(m): 11:15am On Dec 06, 2011
If everybody accepted the advice of this thread and went into SALESMANSHIP then it would be everybody for himself and many professionals who exist within business structures would be jobless and not needed. You can't build a country by yourself, you need to have formal systems and encourage many people to enter the system which will create expanded uniform productivity. SALESMANSHIP doesn't create any kind of productivity
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by semid4lyfe(m): 11:39am On Dec 06, 2011
Everyone cannot be self employed. . . . . .
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by Jarus(m): 11:59am On Dec 06, 2011
Self-employment is good, in fact very good, but I'm afraid it's been overrated with all these shouts about it and continuous demonization of salaried jobs.

Some questions:

1, Where do you get capital to start your business?
2, Where do you get experience to manage your business? Or you think you can just graduate from school and run a business like that?
3, Where do you get the network to sustain your business?
4, What do you fall back to if, just if, the business fails?
5, How many people will trust you - at least in the beginning - if they know you've not been tested somewhere else before?
Questions, questions and more questions

Truth is less than 15% of self-employed people actually made it without being on someone else's employ before.
Most of them started as salaried people and even there is nothing absolutely wrong in spending all your career till retirement as salaried person. A salaried person that rises to become a bank CEO, will be better off than many self-employed business owners.

There is also the risk factor. Some people are just risk-averse and cannot take all the risks associated with owning the business.

Instead of demonizing paid employment, I think emphasis should be on how to strike a balance - invest your income while under paid employment(preparing for rainy day); if possible, run your private biz while still on another man's employ and break out when you get your footing; if you can't get paid job at all, then try strive your way to identify self-employment opportunities, rather than die looking for paid job.

3 Likes

Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by myk2mic: 12:15pm On Dec 06, 2011
Jarus:

Self-employment is good, in fact very good, but I'm afraid it's been overrated with all these shouts about it and continuous demonization of salaried jobs.

Some questions:

2, Where do you get experience to manage your business? Or you think you can just graduate from school and run a business like that?
5, How many people will trust you - at least in the beginning - if they know you've not been tested somewhere else before?

Truth is less than 15% of self-employed people actually made it without being on someone else's employ before.
Most of them started as salaried people and even there is nothing absolutely wrong in spending all your career till retirement as salaried person. A salaried person that rises to become a bank CEO, will be better off than many self-employed business owners.

There is also the risk factor. Some people are just risk-averse and cannot take all the risks associated with owning the business.

Instead of demonizing paid employment, I think emphasis should be on how to strike a balance - invest your income while under paid employment(preparing for rainy day); if possible, run your private biz while still on another man's employ and break out when you get your footing; if you can't get paid job at all, then try strive your way to identify self-employment opportunities, rather than die looking for paid job.

this is the best response that i have read/heard by anyone. especially the highlighted, the key is to strike a balance between both cases.thnks jarus.

1 Like

Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 06, 2011
cool great idea! you are right
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by monopolist: 12:30pm On Dec 06, 2011
Kingdom Employment is the best
Re: Salary Vs Self Employment, Which Do You Prefer by JUO(m): 12:45pm On Dec 06, 2011

make a step.
MTN nigeria started their network with gprs (32kb/s) today they are talking about 3g or higher. loose that rope today

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

7 Reasons Nigerian Youth Are Highly Desperate For White Collar Jobs. / 15 Jobs You Can Do From Home / 1.4m Nigerian Youths To Be Recruited As Traffic Wardens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.