Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? (15866 Views)

Early Marriage Versus Late Marriage Which Do You Prefer? / Mosque/Church Or Court/Registry Marriage .... Which One Is Better And Why? / Love Marriage Or Arranged Marriage Which Do You Prefer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by youngboss1(m): 7:31am On Feb 21, 2012
Traditional Wedding All the way
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by queensmith: 7:37am On Feb 21, 2012
wedding in the bahamas on the beach. Naija trad marriages have turned incredibly tacky, I can't stand it one bit!
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by shadiva: 8:23am On Feb 21, 2012
youngbo$$:

Traditional Wedding All the way
grin grin
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by oludashmi(f): 8:31am On Feb 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

so we were just having this conversation today (not about our marriage o) . Talking about compromise.

I think in anything, I should get to decide this.

I dont care about white weddings, tbh. I want a traditional wedding, with a pastor and a court certificate, etc. Anything that makes it legal and makes sure that I get half of anything (incase he fcuks up).

But traditional wedding is the only one that matters to me.

Gbam!! at boldened.
Long time no hear
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by realiforj: 9:31am On Feb 21, 2012
For me both is important. the traditional marriage is expected to be done first as its where the dowry is being paid. the white wedding is key as a christian and a child of God,one needs to do this in God presence and house for his protection over your marriage. Lets not forgat that God himself is the author of marriage.
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by stepo707: 9:45am On Feb 21, 2012
I prefer the one that is less stressful but am not sure which is undecided
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by N101: 10:57am On Feb 21, 2012
I have yet to see the relevance of a traditional wedding when an introduction will do. And I'm with Freiburg, the only people I hear refer the 'white weddings' are Africans.

The important thing is the marriage. As far as I'm concerned I only need one ceremony that is legally binding and that is it.
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by nwanioma(f): 1:07pm On Feb 21, 2012
They both serve different purposes, i don't think they can be interchanged!
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by Reptane: 3:26pm On Feb 21, 2012
swiftycool:

Ladies, be careful what u wish for, though traditional weddings are more homely, less expensive and recognised by your locality, it should be noted that

1. It recognises the man as superior to the woman cos she was bought with a price rather than they being partners.
2. It allows polygamy unlike other forms, hence your hubby can always take multiple wives once he feels like and if he mistakenly impregnates ur househelp or any stray slut, he could be forced to marry her by tradition against your will.
3. It allows divorce easily for even very thrival reasons and doesn't mandate any settlement for the woman even if not her fault
4. The man's property still remains his and his family's own and they have the rights under customary laws to kick u out for some unfair reasoins once he dies.
5. Traditional marriages are not recognised in the international community, hence giving the man a right to marry an oyinbo lady outside which becomes the legal one even though u were there for several years.
6. Some of them involve some fetish rituals, libations to gods or fore-fathers, this unknown to many have some very strong spiritual conotations which later come to affect the family in future.

So if you have to choose, b wise or rather top it up with a more protective form

@switfy cool u must be a lost son, it a shame 4 an African to condemed his own tradition for preference to a western tradition, did u know the spiritual tides behind a white wedding, even in the bible, it was a traditional wedding Jesus christ attended. Please find out more about traditional marriage from ur parent b4 u go about vomiting nonsense.

1 Like

Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by kufreabasi(m): 4:52pm On Feb 21, 2012
Taditional wedding is the superior and biblically accepted. I combined mine, after traditional rite there was a pastor on ground that blessed my ring and joined us together and the whole ended just there.
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by oludashmi(f): 11:55am On Feb 27, 2012
N101:

I have yet to see the relevance of a traditional wedding when an introduction will do. And I'm with Freiburg, the only people I hear refer the 'white weddings' are Africans.

The important thing is the marriage. As far as I'm concerned I only need one ceremony that is legally binding and that is it.

You are really ignorant (not insulting you).
Did you hear the way it is pronounced? Introduction!!. . . this is a way for the immediate family of both parties to meet and know each other before the traditional wedding day where the dowry is paid. Dowry is not paid at the introduction, neither is it paid in the church. And the dowry is the most important part of any union both before God and Man, even if it is paid in the sitting room with witnesses and no ceremony is conducted at all!

realiforj:

For me both is important. the traditional marriage is expected to be done first as its where the dowry is being paid.  the white wedding is key as a christian and a child of God,one needs to do this in God presence and house for his protection over your marriage.  Lets not forgat that God himself is the author of marriage.

Your first sentence was very right but you missed it at the boldened statement. . .I will explain
As its name signifies, the white wedding is the culture/system/way (including court) that a white man gets married. And it doesnt have to be in the church.
Before the advent of civilization, our weddings used to be in the traditional way only but white wedding became a part of us due to colonisation and our beliefs that white men things are superior.
Another reason white wedding became a part of us is the unavoidable fact that we are a very religious people and the Church as a whole has derailed from its foundation.

Lastly, its true that God instituted marriage but he did not institute a type of marriage. What he instituted was dowry and witnesses from both parties, not even the ceremony. We originated the ceremony based on our cultures. And having your wedding in the church does not guarantee protection or lasting. Check newspapers or go to customary courts weekly and be convinced. Wherever you decide to pay your dowry, the presence of God is there and a union is sealed!

2 Likes

Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by maryini(f): 4:13pm On Feb 27, 2012
I detest traditional marriage, afterall how many times have I gone to and who do I know in my village. Church wedding all the way.
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Feb 27, 2012
Traditional wedding anytime. I think they are beautiful.
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by N101: 12:04am On Apr 11, 2012
oludashmi:

You are really ignorant (not insulting you).
Did you hear the way it is pronounced? Introduction!!. . . this is a way for the immediate family of both parties to meet and know each other before the traditional wedding day where the dowry is paid. Dowry is not paid at the introduction, neither is it paid in the church. And the dowry is the most important part of any union both before God and Man, even if it is paid in the sitting room with witnesses and no ceremony is conducted at all!

I am not ignorant of what I am saying and why I say what I do. Remember this is my perspective and we don't have to agree.

An introduction is what you make it, it doesn't have to be a precursor to a traditional marriage unless you believe in that kind of thing.

I don't see the relevance of traditional marriage in the 21st century. I do not see the relevance of having a number of ceremonies in the name of "marriage". As far as I'm concerned, the families meeting and knowing the family their child is marrying into is enough, you can make it what you want.

Shock horror, I do not believe nor agree with dowry. I know and understand why it exists and the reasons for it, but is not particularly relevant in the 21st century. It is no guarantee for either party of fidelity, that either party will treat each other with respect, to me it is an unnecessary ceremony. There is nothing particularly sacred about it unless we choose to see it as such.

In our forefathers day, yes, traditional weddings were the norm and made perfect sense. Not any more.
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by Nobody: 4:54am On Apr 11, 2012
I love them both Abeg. I tend to love the church wedding more, maybe it's cos of the pride I saw in my fathers face when he walked me down the aisle or the way he lifted his shoulders and replied "my wife and I do" when asked "who gives this woman to this man?", or the oath taking? I don't know why I always cry when I attend church weddings but never shed a tear when I attend trad marriages.

One of my sisters refused to do the huge trad marriage stuff. Her husband bought everything on the list, did the whole village and cultural rights thingy and headed for the church, no proper trad marriage. grin
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by Nobody: 6:37am On Apr 11, 2012
swiftycool: Ladies, be careful what u wish for, though traditional weddings are more homely, less expensive and recognised by your locality, it should be noted that

1. It recognises the man as superior to the woman cos she was bought with a price rather than they being partners.
2. It allows polygamy unlike other forms, hence your hubby can always take multiple wives once he feels like and if he mistakenly impregnates ur househelp or any stray slut, he could be forced to marry her by tradition against your will.
3. It allows divorce easily for even very thrival reasons and doesn't mandate any settlement for the woman even if not her fault
4. The man's property still remains his and his family's own and they have the rights under customary laws to kick u out for some unfair reasoins once he dies.
5. Traditional marriages are not recognised in the international community, hence giving the man a right to marry an oyinbo lady outside which becomes the legal one even though u were there for several years.
6. Some of them involve some fetish rituals, libations to gods or fore-fathers, this unknown to many have some very strong spiritual conotations which later come to affect the family in future.

So if you have to choose, b wise or rather top it up with a more protective form

Good points sir, I agree with all but no 1. My mothers father never took a dime from my father when he wanted to marry his daughter, he only told my dad to take care of his daughter for him, my father did the same thing with his sons in law and never took a dime from them. My husband is talking of doing same and I just looked at him and hissed grin ehn, how can we miss so much money for some tradition? if I don't get a new car from him , I will get it from my son in law. cool

Some men do not accept bride price from their in laws.
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by ifyalways(f): 7:43am On Apr 11, 2012
@Swiftcool,all but one (permits polygamy)what you posted are mere LIES and your personal opinion not FACTS!

Have you ever seen the Nigerian Customary laws?how can you just claim the law does not make provision for women during divorce?

And just getting real with you,how many of today's troubled marriages never had your over celebrated meaningless(my personal view) church wedding?

Paying of dowry makes a wife a "bought" item?oh really?

You love church weddings,your opinion and its all good but pulease sir don't start spreading funny and very baseless statements about traditional or customary marriages.
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by EfemenaXY: 7:57am On Apr 11, 2012
jennykadry:

Good points sir, I agree with all but no 1. My mothers father never took a dime from my father when he wanted to marry his daughter, he only told my dad to take care of his daughter for him, my father did the same thing with his sons in law and never took a dime from them. My husband is talking of doing same and I just looked at him and hissed grin ehn, how can we miss so much money for some tradition? if I don't get a new car from him , I will get it from my son in law. cool

Some men do not accept bride price from their in laws.

@Jenny!! grin grin grin grin

Anyway, I believe both are equally important - moreso the traditional wedding as it defines who you are, where you come from and an opportunity for both families to meet. It's fun and a colourful event to say the least.

I really felt proud and loved during my traditional wedding, esp. as my parents, grandmother and other family members seemed to be in their prime doing their thing! I also learnt 1 or 2 things on that day.

But having said that, I actually preferred the white wedding as I felt more in control. You know choosing my wedding gown, chief bridesmaid, the bridesmaids (well, some of them), and the rest of the bridal train. Hell, I wasn't even allowed to pick the costumes for my tradition wedding! grin grin grin
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by Nobody: 8:07am On Apr 11, 2012
^^lol, I have never been a fan of trad marriages grin. I don't even know half of my fathers people sef ki lo de grin. I did not feel married until after the wedding proper, went home with my husbands people after the trad and came back the next day. I felt properly married after the church wedding. I have a cousin(some years ago) who went through some serious marital issues with her hubby after trad marriage, guess what he was told to do to support his wife after they went to court for it? Return her bride price to her father. WTH? what kind of nonsense is that one? Guess, I lost 10% of the respect I have for trad marriages after that. This same stoopid man was based in the states, got married to another woman( a Benin woman) in the church and gbam she became his legal and recognized wife.

Wedding was so much fun, felt good shopping for my wedding. I am for court wedding too. I mean, I knew I was insured after that one. grin
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by belemzy: 7:51pm On Aug 09, 2012
I have never tot of having a white wedding. I love traditional wedding.
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by delec4real(m): 2:00am On Mar 02, 2013
Either traditional or White marriage, what matters most is the Grace to cope with the marriage's challenges because, whichever one you choose is just a formality its until u begin to live together that is when the reality is being faced.
Re: White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere? by True2myself24(f): 5:06am On Mar 02, 2013
ifyalways: Traditional marriages rock my boat anyday,anytime. kiss kiss

I'm bored at and rarely attend the so-called white weddings.what makes it 'white"?whose culture or identity is that?whats its origin?

It's called "white wedding" because the bride traditionally wears white.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should A Woman Ever Propose To A Man? / How I Ruined My Life By Borrowing From Loan Sharks / Kids On Bikini Dancing Sexy With Themself !! What A World..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.