Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities (6662 Views)

Presidency Orders Payment Of FG Workers’ Salaries / Presidency Orders Withdrawal Of Security Personnel From Politicians / YULETIDE: Oil Communities Reject Agip’s Goat,10 Bags Of Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by ektbear: 10:19am On Feb 20, 2012
on FEBRUARY 20, 2012 · in NEWS

WARRI—THE Presidency has ordered Chevron Nigeria Limited to provide stable and sustainable power supply from the Escravos Tank Farm to oil-rich Ugborodo and Gbaramatu communities in Warri South West Local Government Area of Delta State as part of its corporate social responsibility.

The directive was given in Abuja, after a marathon meeting with stakeholders at the Presidency. The meeting was presided over by Vice-President Namandi Sambo.

Present at the meeting were Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan and some Gbaramatu youth leaders as well as representatives of Chevron.

The Ijaw/Itsekiri youth leadership also agreed that with this, work on the multi-million naira Escravos –Gas –pipeline project being executed by Fenog Nigeria Limited, which was stopped by the aggrieved communities would resume immediately.

Vanguard gathered that Chevron has over 90 megawatts of power out of which only 40 megawatts is currently in use and the balance is kept in reserve while all her immediate host communities of Ugborodo and Gbaramatu communities wallow in darkness.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/02/presidency-orders-chevron-to-provide-electricity-to-delta-oil-communities/
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by ektbear: 10:22am On Feb 20, 2012
The Nigerian government's incompetence and abdication of its responsibilities to private parties angers me.

Why not order your own government, which has arrogated the right to produce and distribute electricity, to do its muthafucking job?

Why are you forcing an oil company to be the power company?

Rather than hiding its head in shame, this useless government is instead giving orders.

It is like a woman who cannot take care of her children ordering someone else to do it.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by ektbear: 10:25am On Feb 20, 2012
Reading articles like this just makes me pray that Nigeria divides, and divides fast.

I am ashamed and angry to be associated with a country as incompetent as this one.

Your children are starving, you cannot feed them. . . so you order someone else to do it.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by GAR3TH(m): 10:32am On Feb 20, 2012
I felt embarrassed reading this article and the real sad part is that this isn't the first time, I remember the government saying the same thing but to shell about a community in baylesa state, for shell to build a power plant & schools. sad Nigeria's government is a complete joke, Federal, state and local
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by Demdem(m): 10:33am On Feb 20, 2012
Pathetic story. Hopefully, chevron won't give them power for free or they better deduct the money from the amount paid as tax to the fg. Useless govt.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by ektbear: 10:49am On Feb 20, 2012
Schools ke?

OK, Chevron should provide electricity, roads, schools, manage our currency (since obviously Sanusi is not competent enough to do so), provide a better taxation system, take care of the borders (clearly Nigeria isn't doing a good job of this), provide running water also.

Useless government.

If the government doesn't want to do its job, why does it even exist?
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by Osiris211: 11:09am On Feb 20, 2012
Orders? thesame way they ordered Dangote to sell a bag of cement @ 1500 naira? Irresponsible clowns!
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by Kx: 11:13am On Feb 20, 2012
Dont chevron pay taxes?
Is providing energy for surrounding host communities part of the CSR?
What exactly is the role of govt other than carpeting huge tax remittances from the oil coys and others?
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by stepo707: 2:19pm On Feb 20, 2012
Everything now is order! Are we in military regime?
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by Nobody: 2:23pm On Feb 20, 2012
Chevron should emulate TOTAL, when it comes to Host Community welfare, they are the best.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by member67023: 2:27pm On Feb 20, 2012
Na only delta oil community? What of Lekki office community?
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by Bawss1(m): 2:32pm On Feb 20, 2012
Since the presidency is in the business of giving orders now, why don't they order Boko Haram to stop it's campaign of terror?

Anyways Chevron isn't bound by any such order, I'm the sure license to drill for oil didn't include providing electricity free of charge and as such that order can be challenged in court.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by lovejo(m): 2:44pm On Feb 20, 2012
Everyone has right to his opinion, what government required from them is not much compare to what they rae gaining in the communities, this is not a city but a community, there is environmental damage by Chevron due to poor government we have in the country, If Chevron can provide basic electricity and water to her hos community I don't think that is much.
Why can't u ask why america did not extract their own oil and dig in Nigeria, all big companies are responsible for the effect of their activities to their communities, it will be better to generate electricity to the community than to be paying royalties to few chief in the community.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by Bawss1(m): 2:58pm On Feb 20, 2012
lovejo:

Everyone has right to his opinion, what government required from them is not much compare to what they rae gaining in the communities, this is not a city but a community, there is environmental damage by Chevron due to poor government we have in the country, If Chevron can provide basic electricity and water to her hos community I don't think that is much.
Why can't u ask why america did not extract their own oil and dig in Nigeria, all big companies are responsible for the effect of their activities to their communities, it will be better to generate electricity to the community than to be paying royalties to few chief in the community.

If so then let the IOC stop paying taxes and royalties all together and instead embark on community service projects. It is amazing that you fail to see that the govt is abdicating its responsibilities and yet is ever ready to collect taxes.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by lovejo(m): 3:04pm On Feb 20, 2012
Bawss1:

If so then let the IOC stop paying taxes and royalties all together and instead embark on community service projects. It is amazing that you fail to see that the govt is abdicating its responsibilities and yet is ever ready to collect taxes.

Corporate responsibility can not be dictate by government it is part of corporate strategy as a whole, govt just need to give them enough support to do the right thing, if Nigeria government is not demanding more than it is required legally from Chevron, Chevron will do more than electricity to their host communities.
I always say, in Nigeria system, nothing is working from top to down and vice-versa except we need to upgrade the Nigeria software to present one than the old one that has been invaded by virus ( corrupt official ) and the anti-virus to clean it can never be created.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by ogogoromaster: 3:12pm On Feb 20, 2012
I am very worried at the thought process of our president, order chevron to supply electricity to Delta Oil Communities.very funny.

On a monthly basics the Delta state internal revenue service gets nothing less than a billion from Chevron as PAYE and WHT on individuals/enterprise,the same goes for Lagos and Rivers Government.The Federal Government collects all manners of tax ranging from Petroleum profit tax,Nigeria export supervison scheme levy,VAT,capital gains tax amounting to billions of dollars in a year from Chevron.Is it Chevron responsibility to deliver on the statutory obligation of government.

The Federal government should enact enabling laws like the PIB to encourage these companies to assist in providing feeders for refineries and power stations not ordering them to provide what FG should provide.

Chevron has different MOU's with these communities to assist in development as part of their CSR.These does not include taking over the functions of Government.I am sorry for Nigeria.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by BlackPikiN(m): 3:16pm On Feb 20, 2012
nakedwire:

Na only delta oil community? What of Lekki office community?

Yeah, I have also ordered Mobil and Chevron to do same too.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by kulutempa: 3:17pm On Feb 20, 2012
And when people call GEJ Retardeen, some people here start complaining and say he deserves respect.  Even a village clown should know better than this nonsense.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by kokoA(m): 3:20pm On Feb 20, 2012
Please Uncle GEJ, can you order my company to increase my salary please? Its barely enough for me. Thankyou grin. I trust my president, him go do am for me grin
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by gregg2: 3:47pm On Feb 20, 2012
@Ekt bear and co

What is wrong with FG urging Chevron to
provide electricity to host community. You are not familiar with Niger delta,
this is very small thing to do. It's not new. They are numerous of such
communities enjoying free and stable electricity supply from multinationals.

Some of you on this forum are simply mumus, seriously.
For God's sake did Chevron complain? Even common Aluminium Smelter company
that is operating far below capacity still provides stable electricity to Ikot Abasi.

Seriously, your hatred for GEJ is beginning to affect some of you psychologically,
just hope you don't go mad.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by Kilode1: 3:53pm On Feb 20, 2012
I expect Abati to deny this report, because it makes no sense.

Order a private company to produce electricity as part of its CSR?

What does that even mean?

How about we order all PHCN offices to use their allocation effectively and do their damn jobs!
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by kizito96(m): 3:54pm On Feb 20, 2012
Do this oil communities need to be told of their Corporate social responsibility?
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by MeAndYou(m): 4:00pm On Feb 20, 2012
@Chevron: If you want the proposed pipeline construction to go on as planned, then you must appease them with some power oooo.  Goodluck to you!

Whether good or bad, Nigerians deserve better treament from these oil-partriates!
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by Demdem(m): 4:11pm On Feb 20, 2012
All of u talking about coporate responsibility should shut up. Who told u chevron hasn't done much for these people? Go ask the people who built the health facility they are enjoying? Also ask them about the classrooms built by chevron. Not to forget also the few roads built by this chevron. Now compare all these to what udaughan and the LG has done for them. confirm all these before running ur mouths Oj this thread abegii.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by sheyguy: 4:18pm On Feb 20, 2012
This is the attitude of a typical Niger-Deltan, they feel the oil companies are getting too much or even stealing from them. They don't realise these oil companies are normal companies like any other company around. Even the president who has all the power to change things is a parasite to oil companies. This is a big disgrace to us all ND or no ND. Someone should pls tell Gej, let them reverse this order. We can't go to oil company for, job, road, water, schools and no power supply again, all for free. We av the militants also who will kidnap their workers.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by Obiagu1(m): 4:41pm On Feb 20, 2012
ekt_bear:

Reading articles like this just makes me pray that Nigeria divides, and divides fast.

I am ashamed and angry to be associated with a country as incompetent as this one.

Your children are starving, you cannot feed them. . . so you order someone else to do it.

When I said I hate Nigeria, some people were on my neck.
Nigeria is poo, filled will fools with reasoning deficiency.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by vanstanzy(m): 5:17pm On Feb 20, 2012
ogogoromaster:

I am very worried at the thought process of our president, order chevron to supply electricity to Delta Oil Communities.very funny.

On a monthly basics the Delta state internal revenue service gets nothing less than a billion from Chevron as PAYE and WHT on individuals/enterprise,the same goes for Lagos and Rivers Government.The Federal Government collects all manners of tax ranging from Petroleum profit tax,Nigeria export supervison scheme levy,VAT,capital gains tax amounting to billions of dollars in a year from Chevron.Is it Chevron responsibility to deliver on the statutory obligation of government.

The Federal government should enact enabling laws like the PIB to encourage these companies to assist in providing feeders for refineries and power stations not ordering them to provide what FG should provide.

Chevron has different MOU's with these communities to assist in development as part of their CSR.These does not include taking over the functions of Government.I am sorry for Nigeria.

HEY, WETIN BE THIS? THIS IS THE HEIGHT OF INCOMPETENCE BY THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. WHY NOT ORDER CHEVRON TO TAKE OVER ASO-ROCK? angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by vanstanzy(m): 5:28pm On Feb 20, 2012
ekt_bear:

The Nigerian government's incompetence and abdication of its responsibilities to private parties angers me.

Why not order your own government, which has arrogated the right to produce and distribute electricity, to do its muthafucking job?

Why are you forcing an oil company to be the power company?

Rather than hiding its head in shame, this useless government is instead giving orders.

It is like a woman who cannot take care of her children ordering someone else to do it.

@NLers
The level of incompetence by the Govt is really worrying. Am seriously beginning to think GEJ has been bewitched or something.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by vanstanzy(m): 5:36pm On Feb 20, 2012
ekt_bear:

The Nigerian Government, am sorry to say, is a (TOTAL WASTE)100 OF TAX PAYERS MONEY!!! Whoever is close to these govt. officials please tell them so.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by GboyegaD(m): 6:02pm On Feb 20, 2012
Na wah oooo. Our government is just there to embezzle fund and do nothing for the people they govern. I am sure that sooner, FGN will order telecommunication firms to provide free communication services and our private hospitals too to provide free health to every child below age 21 and every adult above age 60 as part of CSR.
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by dasparrow: 6:13pm On Feb 20, 2012
I see nothing wrong in what GEJ did. I feel that if they (Chevron) are busy damaging the land just to get oil, then they should compensate the communities since the oil money received by the government does not trickle down to the affected communities. In short, Chevron better not complain or they can pack up their refineries and go back to their countries. angry
Re: Presidency Orders Chevron To Provide Electricity To Delta Oil Communities by Funkymallam(m): 6:16pm On Feb 20, 2012
Hardly can i find anything wrong with this directive.
1. Chevron generates 90mw and uses only 40mw, they can use the remaining 50mw to power d small communities around. They r not being asked to generate more or provide 24hr electricity but to donate d excess they generate.
2. Its their right to either accept it or deny it, since its not binding on them.
Thnx

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rtd Col Hameed Alli Appointed New EFCC Boss / Letter To Southern Nigerians Particularly Yoruba People / Abom Ephraim Victor Honoured By Ambassadors Of The United Nations SDG Network

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.