Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,951 members, 7,810,635 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:30 PM

Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" (8326 Views)

Wife Pours Hot Water On Husband For Denying Her Sex For 3 Weeks (photo) / How Many Ladies Can Act Like This Lady If They Catch Their Husbands Cheating? / HOT TOPIC: Advice For Married Women Denying Their Husband Conjugal "Rights" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by drnoel: 6:38pm On Feb 20, 2012
I just heard this story from one of my sources.

A lady in her early 40s married for 6 years and had 2 children for her husband b4 he past away prematurely has been under pressure from her husband family. Initially a few days after her husband past on, the husband family tried to outsmart her from the mans properties but she used their divisional police to help seize all her husbands property (her sisters husband is a top policeman in the Abuja, so he helped secure her the properties).
Now the husbands cousins and brothers are saying its in their tradition to take their conjugal rights on their late brother's wife. They are really trying 2 make life difficult 4 her.

Please lets discuss this topic because I have heard it happens in Nigeria but not really believed it till I heard it from my source.
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by modavi: 7:21pm On Feb 20, 2012
mcheew! na waooh, so such things still exists sha! shocked shocked odi kw'egwu ooh!
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by slimyem: 7:22pm On Feb 20, 2012
what's their business if the property owner does not leave anything in a will for them and they are not his next of kin?
The wife can only choose to give them something at her own prerogative.
Let them go work and make their own money too.
Simple!
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by agiboma(f): 7:38pm On Feb 20, 2012
I am not sure if such things still exsist i only seen this sort of topic int he nollywoood movies. wink
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by drnoel: 7:46pm On Feb 20, 2012
agiboma:

I am not sure if such things still exsist i only seen this sort of topic int he nollywoood movies. wink

A good thing I don't watch Nollywood movies. I find them too depressing. I don't know if the guy I heard it 4rm does so though. Anyway, I asked him explicitly and he assured me it was 4 real, hence my posting it on NL so I could hear 4rm u guys if this stuff still happens in naiger
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by moremi2008(m): 8:17pm On Feb 20, 2012
Me too! I want my conjugal rights! That man was my best friend in the university! grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by Genius100: 9:26pm On Feb 20, 2012
What is there to discuss? The woman just needs to say "No" and that's it, Make dem go call police,
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by feminineA: 9:18am On Feb 21, 2012
It happens o. Its better she rent off some of her apartment and sell the sellable ones then move to another environment and start her life afresh with her children. This so called families are just rip offs. They want to marry her so they can still have access to the properties she got since their initial plan failed.
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by moremi2008(m): 9:23am On Feb 21, 2012
feminine A:

It happens o. Its better she rent off some of her apartment and sell the sellable ones then move to another environment and start her life afresh with her children. This so called families are just rip offs. They want to marry her so they can still have access to the properties she got since their initial plan failed.

GBAM! A wise woman will just quietly sell-off as many of the properties as she can and move as far away from those prying relatives as she can and then build new income-producing properties in her new location with her children's names so the same relatives won't start saying nonsense about her depriving the kids of their birthright later.
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by Nobody: 9:52am On Feb 21, 2012
I dont really know ,but its normally to prevent the woman from going around and living a decent life.But times have changed and she can do what she likes.But i dont know if she can bring the men into the properties left by the man for fucking,it will be like disrespect .
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by horny4u(f): 10:36am On Feb 21, 2012
moremi2008:

GBAM! A wise woman will just quietly sell-off as many of the properties as she can and move as far away from those prying relatives as she can and then build new income-producing properties in her new location with her children's names so the same relatives won't start saying nonsense about her depriving the kids of their birthright later.

When my pa passed on, my mum rented out the houses, she had to give up some of the land and properties but she got most sha, I will advise the woman to cut her ties with the family, her kids may miss having cousins from pa's side but its a small price to pay. So simply tell them to F OFF !!!
Awon o ni ra nu they want to conjugal her, toilet tradition belongs in shhiit matters.
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by nous(f): 10:57am On Feb 21, 2012
it happens oh. When my aunty's husband died(2006) she was willed to her husband's brother.
It also happened to my grandmother. I even heard it happened in the Bible(Tamar).
No be today, e don tey wey women don dey suffer in the name of culture.
I hate african cultures. They are suppressive and meant to enrich some lazy and greedy thieves called elders.
Mtcheew
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by BigBenoski(m): 11:14am On Feb 21, 2012
Which kain thread b dis?? She had d power 2 secure her properties, lands,houses . . .(big big things) but when its time 2 simply keep her thighs closed,somebody rushed 2 open up a thread here. Infact, d story lie. Next
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by timbs001(m): 11:30am On Feb 21, 2012
BigBenoski:

Which kain thread b dis?? She had d power 2 secure her properties, lands,houses . . .(big big things) but when its time 2 simply keep her thighs closed,somebody rushed 2 open up a thread here. Infact, d story lie. Next
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by kcemeto(m): 11:37am On Feb 21, 2012
nollywood again, i don see this movie na casted by KOK n nkem owo among odas. Am out
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by maclatunji: 12:38pm On Feb 21, 2012
This topic is misleading, the widow's relatives have no conjugal rights over the woman because she has not married any of them. I understand what OP is talking about, which is the culture of a man's wife being passed on to his older or younger brother after his death. No woman has to put-up with that if she does not want to. The people who do it, get away with it because of any of the following reasons:

1. She agrees to it.

2. She feels threatened and helpless to fight it.

Either way, a formal process of accepting or 'pretending to accept' is involved and she is given to only one of her husband's relatives and not all of them.

In this case, it is obvious that the woman has no such desire. Hence, she just needs to act smart to secure her interests and settle with the family on the remaining part of the property through her lawyer. It is sad when this happens as it is a very backward way of doing things. Most of the time, it is just outright robbery of the wife and children of the deceased.

Men should get their wills sorted out as soon as possible and ensure that their wife or kid is their next of Kin (that is best). If your other relatives are next-of-kin problems are likely to arise.
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by untainted: 1:19pm On Feb 21, 2012
maclatunji:

This topic is misleading, the widow's relatives have no conjugal rights over the woman because she has not married any of them. I understand what OP is talking about, which is the culture of a man's wife being passed on to his older or younger brother after his death. No woman has to put-up with that if she does not want to. The people who do it, get away with it because of any of the following reasons:

1. She agrees to it.

Either way, a formal process of accepting or 'pretending to accept' is involved and she is given to only one of her husband's relatives and not all of them.

In this case, it is obvious that the woman has no such desire. Hence, she just needs to act smart to secure her interests and settle with the family on the remaining part of the property through her lawyer. It is sad when this happens as it is a very backward way of doing things. Most of the time, it is just outright robbery of the wife and children of the deceased.

Men should get their wills sorted out as soon as possible and ensure that their wife or kid is their next of Kin (that is best). If your other relatives are next-of-kin problems are likely to arise.

Sorry, I really need to know; is it permissible in Islam to leave a will?
Will the instructions be followed to the letter?
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by maclatunji: 1:27pm On Feb 21, 2012
untainted:

Please, create a new thread in Islam for Muslims section for this question.

Thank you!
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by untainted: 1:39pm On Feb 21, 2012
maclatunji:

Please, create a new thread in Islam for Muslims section for this question.

Thank you!

No offense intended. But thanks all the same.
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by MyJoe: 1:46pm On Feb 21, 2012
maclatunji:

1. She agrees to it.

Thank you. This is the way I understand it.

Of course, if the woman wants to be married to her husband's brother and her husband's brother wants it there should be nothing wrong with that. It's where compulsion is brought in that there is a problem. Usually these traditions are flexible in many places. But I understand they try to "force" you in some places. Now, that's sad, if true.
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by maclatunji: 1:54pm On Feb 21, 2012
untainted:

I did not take offence with your post/question. I just don't want to derail this thread for OP. Now, I would really like you to ask that question like I stated earlier.

#Idonttakeoffenceeasily
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by untainted: 2:04pm On Feb 21, 2012
maclatunji:

I did not take offence with your post/question. I just don't want to derail this thread for OP. Now, I would really like you to ask that question like I stated earlier.

#Idonttakeoffenceeasily

Okay, I will find time for that. A bit busy now. Thanks
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by Chinom(m): 2:07pm On Feb 21, 2012
This is where the concept of "OUR WIFE" comes in. It is a done deal if the widow was and is still attracted to the brother-in-law. The person that actually suffer the most is the Brother's wife if he is married. All of a sudden, she will have to deal with a second wife she did'nt bargain for. You will be surprised how many widows agree to this. Especially, when they're over 40.
If the widow liked her husband's brother before, it's smooth sailing for conjugal rights. It's legal too in many African cultures.
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by maclatunji: 2:11pm On Feb 21, 2012
Chinom:

This is where the concept of "OUR WIFE" comes in. It is a done deal if the widow was and is still attracted to the brother-in-law. The person that actually suffer the most is the Brother's wife if he is married. All of a sudden, she will have to deal with a second wife she did'nt bargain for. You will be surprised how many widows agree to this. Especially, when they're over 40.
If the widow liked her husband's brother before, it's smooth sailing for conjugal rights. It's legal too in many African cultures.

I find that kind of liking suspicious. Such things happen when proper boundaries are not set- for example, younger brother exposing body in his brother's house with wife around. Unnecessary fooling around when husband is not around- #distasteful.
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by doctokwus: 2:16pm On Feb 21, 2012
Conjugal rights to a woman close to if not alredy in menopause.Wud av blived it if d woman was still young.Sounds nollywoodish
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by ijebuboy18(m): 2:20pm On Feb 21, 2012
Don't think anytin about 9ja can surprise me again.
Shit i need my conjugal rights, after all are u not my late brother's wife, i have a right to what he also tapped, after all it is in my tradition which you married into and promised to uphold so get over this holier than thou attitude and so p****.
Just krazy.
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by Chinom(m): 3:11pm On Feb 21, 2012
Conjugal rights are even offered at neck breaking speed if the Brother-in-law happens to be richer than the widow's dead husband. In the villages it's done in the open. Those who live in the cities are more discreet about it. But it's sanctioned by both families.
Afterall OBJ took conjugal rights even when his son is still alive. grin grin
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by saska1122: 3:55pm On Feb 21, 2012
nous:

it happens oh. When my aunty's husband died(2006) she was willed to her husband's brother.
It also happened to my grandmother. I even heard it happened in the Bible(Tamar).
No be today, e don tey wey women don dey suffer in the name of culture.
I hate african cultures. They are suppressive and meant to enrich some lazy and greedy thieves called elders.
Mtcheew

U just said it happened in Biblical days, then Y then do U hate only African culture? Try and see some positive things in our culture and shake off the complex. There is no superior culture and no inferior culture. They all have their good and bad sides.

A bad culture/tradition like this is bad not because it is African, but because, it still regard the woman as a property to be inherited.
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by drnoel: 4:31pm On Feb 21, 2012
If the story is
Chinom:

Conjugal rights are even offered at neck breaking speed if the Brother-in-law happens to be richer than the widow's dead husband. In the villages it's done in the open. Those who live in the cities are more discreet about it. But it's sanctioned by both families.
Afterall OBJ took conjugal rights even when his son is still alive. grin  grin

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Ok so that means it does happen, that is sad.
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by Amacaco: 9:38pm On Feb 21, 2012
Issues relating to inheritance are governed by law in Nigeria. It is called the Law of Succession and inheritance. The rights of spouses to each other's property after death are determined by the status of their marriage before death. Succession and inheritance for marriages contracted under English Law or the Marriage Act are governed by English law in which case the Wife is entitled fully to the property of her husband before Children and other brothers and sisters of the deceased. Where they were married under Islamic laws, that law is used to determine the right to inherit. But in circumstances where they were married under customary law, the customary law of the man comes into play. Customary laws vary from place to place and need to be specifically proved in court.
In matrilineal Societies as opposed to patrilineal, the property of a dead man rightfully and by law belongs to the brothers and sisters of the deceased. Similarly, the properties of a deceased woman belongs to her relatives and not her husband unless the person has made a will before his death. This is so in Matrilineal Communities like Abriba, Nkporo, Ohafia (all in Abia State), as well as Edda, Afikpo, Amasiri in Ebonyi State. Such matrilineal system also exist in some parts of South Africa. No court has declared such custom as repugnant to natural justice as at today. Today men who want to avoid the strict application of that customary law can make wills, give gifts to their wife and children while alive, buy properties in the name of their spouses, or invest heavily in the education and establishment of their children.

1 Like

Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by Nobody: 4:42am On Feb 22, 2012
All these funny stories could have been averted if we men willed out our properties on time. Please let's all return home and do it. I wonder why someone would be busy acquiring properties without doing what's necessary to ascertain where it ends up at his demise. "Daddy was very rich but immediately after his death we become poor" is an unnecessary tragedy.
Re: Denying Husbands Brothers/cousins Their Said "conjugal Rights" by Basics007: 7:15am On Feb 22, 2012
BigBenoski:

This is my thought too. I'm not saying it's a lie but it doesnt add up somehow. A woman strong enough to secure her hubby's properties should be strong enough to throw a scare into any prying relatives

(1) (2) (Reply)

Married Women Vs Single Ladies Vs Single Men / I Dont Know Wat To Think Of My Girlfriend ADVICE NEEDED (pic Evidence) / The Best Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.