Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? (6298 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview / Free N5000 For A Writer Here Every Month! Click To See How! / The Women In A Writer's Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by Sophiegurl(f): 5:00pm On Mar 12, 2013
Why not try d old style like writing ikebe super for a change may be ull break thru.
Goodluck
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by madjune(m): 5:02pm On Mar 12, 2013
WRITE ABOUT EXPOSING PUBLIC FIGURES WHO STOLE FROM NIGERIA. THEY WILL PAY YOU TO KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. MAKE SURE YOU WRITE FROM A HIDDEN VILLAGE. GOODLUCK.

2 Likes

Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by stallion2: 5:04pm On Mar 12, 2013
this topic has grammar error
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by jentlsoul: 5:07pm On Mar 12, 2013
[quote author=pope732901]I am poet and like my friends tell me, I am very good but I don't get people to read my write ups. I need your advice friends.[/quote

Do u passed through higher institution so. If don't u can't no the secret
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Mar 12, 2013
Sisi_Kill: There are two ways to make it as a writer -

Gossip Writer - Make sure you talk about people's Yanshes and boobies who is entering and touching them.

Religious Book writer - Make sure your books or articles have headings/titles like

Overcoming the overcomer of your finances
Devour the devourer of your business
Destroy the winches in your life - Be a winch for Jesus
Avoid Holy Slaps - Pay your tithes
Unmarried no more - 27 1/2 ways to meet your Godly spouse
Obey His law and rule over your in Laws
Prosper prosperously by Properly paying your tithes
How to be the GO of your home

You are welcome.
Ah, Sisi Kill, you never cease to amuse me.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by Chimeluv(f): 5:23pm On Mar 12, 2013
Participate in competitions, try and put your poems on online literary mags(for free at first so that you can get recognized) try writting short stories,essays e.t.c create your own blog.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by eforce: 5:34pm On Mar 12, 2013
i hope the op is going to be writing correct grammar, because the question in itself is not correct? if you write like this, you might not make it.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by Clemzy16(m): 5:42pm On Mar 12, 2013
fermlad: Pls check d topic:
How CAN a writer CAN make it in Nigeria. shocked shocked

Pls adjust.

Thanks
@op, do you mind if we see a piece of your work?!
Back-to-topic=> Whether "How can a Writer Make it in Nigeria" or "How Can a Writer Can make it in Nigeria"., Both are correct. Just that, the latter is Nigerian English while the formal is American English.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by elmajid(m): 5:45pm On Mar 12, 2013
give us thrilling and captivating works of art, and i guess a good work always has a way of speaking for itself.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by stupor(m): 6:11pm On Mar 12, 2013
Its really hard my brother !

But,the reasons some don't make it is because of little 'edits and proofreading skills' most of us especially very gifted writers go through such as these your Heading that also makes most publishing firms disapprove writers as some not being thoroughly bred.

Kinly re-modify your Topic-heading and let's start from there my brother !

*kindly please disregard my corrections i only wanted to put my own little checkpoint to your discussions*

I believe you can get there if yõu so passionately wish for it !

All the best.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by Reference(m): 6:12pm On Mar 12, 2013
pope732901: I am poet and like my friends tell me, I am very good but I don't get people to read my write ups. I need your advice friends.

Be pro-government or pro-opposition. Nigerians don't appreciate anything else.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by TheRealMrStan(m): 6:15pm On Mar 12, 2013
In order to 'make it' as a writer in Nigeria,you must be able to write gossips on celebrities and eloquently criticize the government of the day. You MUST have the ability to put all of Nigeria's negative problems in writing and publish it for the outside world to read. Your written posts MUST also be accompanied with gory pictures of burnt corpses,bloody scenes and what have you.

Anything short of this and you are doomed to remain a struggling writer, just like me. LOL grin grin

www.mrstanleynwabia..com
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by talk2s(m): 6:18pm On Mar 12, 2013
First thing first.
Ensure you your 'Grammatical Accuracy' is intact.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by Amya(f): 6:23pm On Mar 12, 2013
stupor: Its really hard my brother !

But,the reasons some don't make it is because of little 'edits and proofreading skills' most of us especially very gifted writers go through such as these your Heading that also makes most publishing firms disapprove writers as some not being thoroughly bred.

Kinly re-modify your Topic-heading and let's start from there my brother !

*kindly please disregard my corrections i only wanted to put my own little checkpoint to your discussions*

I believe you can get there if yõu so passionately wish for it !

All the best.

Sometimes it's preferable to read a thread thoroughly so as to you avoid making a fool of yourself. The mod admitted the typo was her fault.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by stupor(m): 6:38pm On Mar 12, 2013
For goodness sake,who is this 'AFEEXTER' ? Why all the blogging bro !

And what do you mean by 'EXAMS RUNZ' !
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by nkpommpko(m): 6:54pm On Mar 12, 2013
He or she can't so I suggest they dnt quit their day job, nigerians never finish to watch african drama, abi na movie them call am
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by Orikinla(m): 7:32pm On Mar 12, 2013
Writers are making it in Nigeria.
I have been living on my writings since age 18 and the last time I asked my parents for money was when I was still 18.
Writing gave me an SUV and driver at 24 as a features editor of a children's magazine supplied to all Unity Schools in Nigeria by the Federal Ministry of Education.
I started professional script writing for the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) Channel 10 from age 18.

If you write a good book that appeals to what majority of Nigerians want, you can sell up to 100, 000 copies.

The method is writing motivational books and then present them at your speaking engagements.
Make your motivational speaking engagements free. And sell your books at the venue.
Start with secondary schools where the school authorities can welcome you to speak to the pupils.
Don't over price your books.
Sell from N250 per copy for pupils and students and N500 per copy for adults.

More details on how to make it as a writer in Nigeria will be published exclusively on http://www.thecreativepenn.com/
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by Hilaskee(m): 8:18pm On Mar 12, 2013
Same here! What do we do?
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by saminspires: 8:25pm On Mar 12, 2013
UNLEASHED: @OP
You write up will give readers series of headache. For you, I see writing as a waste of time and it's better you realise it now than later.
I'm not discouraging, it's an advice.
must you be this foul-mouthed? If you have nothing constructive to say, must you waste your blood typing thrash. Go n sleep abeg.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by gbengalite(m): 8:37pm On Mar 12, 2013
You can also consider being an international writer, selling for Global readers. @Amazon kindle, Barnes and Noble, Epub, GoodReads etc current this Epublishing site publishes Nigerian online check this out.
Click on like and post ya prob.

www.facebook.com/StreetPub

Good luck
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by LeBlack: 8:42pm On Mar 12, 2013
Samples?
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by stupor(m): 11:33pm On Mar 12, 2013
Amya:

Sometimes it's preferable to read a thread thoroughly so as to you avoid making a fool of yourself. The mod admitted the typo was her fault.

Did you just mention 'a fool' please retrieve back that statement now,young woman !

I only made corrections to the Topic Heading way before it was corrected and mind you my advice wasn't demeaning but to gear him up !

Never lay derogatory remarks on my 'Time-comments again esp.when its from me 'Stupor' learn to be respectful even when you find yourself online woman !

That's very blunt and derogatöry ! Take it back Or eat back your lame words.

*if a writer's only heading is stating Typographic errs,then how does he get its readers to enjoy the rest of his write-up !

Even a tôpic with a wrong heading shouldn't have gotten to the First page anyway ! Its neither your fault nor the poster's fault but simply that of the MODS.

Never lay anything offensive on my Timeline again ! Esp.if its from me,*Stupor*

Please !
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by bigdoo: 12:13am On Mar 13, 2013
Why not ask Soyinka and Achebe.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by manosteel(m): 4:17am On Mar 13, 2013
That's quite simple, start writing books on Nigeria dividends of Democracy, Ebele Jonathan the Man sent by God etc, on the day of your book launch, you will see notable Nigerians, Bode George, Orji Kalu, James Ibori etc grace the occasion and before you know it, you have started smiling to the bank.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by jaymdee(m): 6:09am On Mar 13, 2013
UNLEASHED: @OP
You write up will give readers series of headache. For you, I see writing as a waste of time and it's better you realise it now than later.
I'm not discouraging, it's an advice.
And your advice is a far cry from what writing looks like. So, you're in no position to tell the poster what he can or can't do.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by jaymdee(m): 6:13am On Mar 13, 2013
[quote author=jentlsoul][/quote]

So did you (Jentisoul) ever step your feet in primary school cry
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by paulohski: 8:11am On Mar 13, 2013
Firstly, I can see you've gotten writing all wrong. While the very good ones will make money, those (like you) that set out to make money rarely do so. Writing isn't about getting readers either, it's all about get it written. Just think of the ancient art works that worth millions of dollars now (eg MonaLisa). The artistes didn't draw them for commercial purpose but for the love of art. Writing is like that too.
If you want to be popular, start writing poems on Boko Haram, christian vss moslems and other divisive topics. But if you really wanna write timeless pieces and become a heroic writer inspiring generations, u av to focus only on the art.
By the way, very few are making it in writing in Nigeria today and I'm one of them. So take my advise seriously. God bless you.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by Frendys(m): 8:54am On Mar 13, 2013
I would like my book to be published abroad and in Nigeria simultaneously. Can anybody help or give me useful advise please?

Am a lover and reader of books but the package they come in matters to me.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by Bastituta(m): 11:20am On Mar 13, 2013
maclatunji: Where do you put your write-ups? You need to give the public samples of your work for us to appreciate and become fans of before you can hope to start to make money from us. Have you tried publishing houses? i.e. if you have confirmed that your work is any good.

If you are still new to writing and haven't done any of the things I have said, I suggest you create a blog to publish your work- you have two major options:

1. http://www.

and

2. http://www.blogger.com

The former seems to me to portray one as a true lover of writing/literature whilst the latter has a more commercial feel to it. Try them out if you haven't. They both have tools that help you expose your work, I also suggest you try a 1-month intensive blogging campaign and tell us how it went after that. cheesy

Writing can be fun and wonderful, I wish you the best!

i cant laff ooo!
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by ifyfaith: 2:17pm On Mar 13, 2013
Hychineson: u r very gud and u r writing dis blunder.

IT COULD BE A MISTAKE,CORRECT HIM NOT PICK ON IT

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unforgettable.....love,betrayal And Forgiveness / Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today / 'if Men Were God'.a Poem Written By Me, Please Read And Comment.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.