Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,911 members, 7,814,075 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? (4534 Views)

Inspirationalquotes For The Lenten Season / The Christian Lenten Season Begins Today! Is This Analogous To Muslim Ramadan / Lenten Season (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by safarigirl(f): 12:55pm On Feb 22, 2012
Lenten season is here again. I just want to know what you all plan to sacrifice this period to live Ǟ better life?
I'm yet to make up my mind on this, just want to know what yours is
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by Parnassuss(m): 3:48pm On Feb 22, 2012
Meat, Alcohol and all sex. A friend asked me to put video gaming into that list but I told him I intend to live through the lent, not hibernate.
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by ajafex10(m): 3:52pm On Feb 22, 2012
The most important of all sacrifices is to avoid occasions of sin; women, alcohol et al.
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Feb 22, 2012
I'm thinking NL! undecided
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by Okijajuju1(m): 4:15pm On Feb 22, 2012
sex. . . cry
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by doofanc: 4:17pm On Feb 22, 2012
l
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by Koolking(m): 4:19pm On Feb 22, 2012
What we are ready to sacrifice for penance and love this Lent and beyond is not meant to be trumpeted. It should be our personal motivation and conviction.
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by icez: 4:19pm On Feb 22, 2012
ajafex10:

The most important of all sacrifices is to avoid occasions of sin; women, alcohol et al.

Right.
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by Joey82(m): 4:29pm On Feb 22, 2012
beer for sure!
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by pynkspyce: 4:33pm On Feb 22, 2012
I thought what you gave up was between you and God?
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by AZeD1(m): 4:35pm On Feb 22, 2012
Not thought about it
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by karpentar: 4:36pm On Feb 22, 2012
"isi ewu"
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by livapul86(m): 4:38pm On Feb 22, 2012
@Op: I have been on PERMANENT LENT since last year after Nysc. Most things guys indulge in (women, alcohol, cigs, eatin much etc) i have abstained from while searching for a job. So as at NOW, there is NOTHING else to abstain from unless U wan kill me.
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by Ninapha(f): 4:40pm On Feb 22, 2012
And when u do, dont go back after easter cos it wd prove u a hypocrite! flee from sin and dont go back to it that way u will be justified.
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by vanstanzy(m): 4:52pm On Feb 22, 2012
Ninapha:

And when u do, dont go back after easter cos it wd prove u a hypocrite! flee from sin and dont go back to it that way u will be justified.

@ninapha
U r so right. A true catholic wouldnt go back to the said sin, only thru the help of Christ though.
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by richy5(m): 4:57pm On Feb 22, 2012
S3x and beer
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by jimjones: 5:13pm On Feb 22, 2012
as a devout roman catholic, i will sacrifice catholicism for the duration of the lent.
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by Commander12: 6:33pm On Feb 22, 2012
flee from sin and dont go back to it that way u will be justified.[img]http://www.demama.info/g.php[/img]
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by osajojo(m): 6:44pm On Feb 22, 2012
Wanking
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by Edaniels: 7:38pm On Feb 22, 2012
i will sacrifice my HARP
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by ujchief(m): 7:39pm On Feb 22, 2012
lent isnt biblical, and so many catholic believes and practices such as purgatory, holy water, child baptism and so on.
livapul86:

@Op: I have been on PERMANENT LENT since last year after Nysc. Most things guys indulge in (women, alcohol, cigs, eatin much etc) i have abstained from while searching for a job. So as at NOW, there is NOTHING else to abstain from unless U wan kill me.
i hope ur reason for abstinence isnt to get work, and thereafter, go back to status quo. U sound like u want to bribe God wit ur self-righteousnes.
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by AWONEYAN(m): 7:55pm On Feb 22, 2012
Its not abt sacrifice,its geting right wiv ur maker in a lasting relationship. What can u give dt can match d death of christ. Besides its for ur own good to abstain from sex ,alcohol e.t.c. Dnt think you are doing God a favor
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by queensmith: 9:17pm On Feb 22, 2012
i might just join this month, . . .i should sacrifice family guy and american dad.

grin grin grin
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Feb 22, 2012
Am sacrificing my abstinence from sex, which means more sex, both gay and hetero. also i will drink more and make sure i steal from all nairlanders, LWKMD
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by saska1122: 9:49pm On Feb 22, 2012
ujchief:

lent isnt biblical, and so many catholic believes and practices such as purgatory, holy water, child baptism and so on,

I wonder if people like U have a mind of your own.
You are typing on the internet as a 'christian', is internet/computer in the bible?
U went to school, I guess, Where in the bible is it recorded that Jesus went to school? But we are told he read the Torah/Prophets in the synagogue.
When John said not everything that is written in the bible, how do you feel about that?

For people like U, U'll prefer not to answer your name because it's not in the bible. The Bible(in its present form) and the Church, which came first?
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by Nonsolia(m): 12:26am On Feb 23, 2012
All to Jesus I surrender. Just between me and Him sha. For the bible guy up there, the Church was way long before the bible, so chill.
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by freecocoa(f): 12:50am On Feb 23, 2012
So you Sacrifice just for the period of lent and then go back to those things afterwards,na today?if you want to sacrifice just give up sin and stop deceiving yourselves,what difference does it make abstaining from sin over a period of time and then knowingly go back to it after lent?seems like a waste of time to me.
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by igbaodun: 1:51am On Feb 23, 2012
masturbation
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by NovusHomo(m): 2:50am On Feb 23, 2012
My mother-in-law, no question about it.
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by babaowo: 7:40am On Feb 23, 2012
most ppl are hypocrisy.
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by Nelton(m): 8:19am On Feb 23, 2012
For the issue of sacrifice, I think that should be between the individual and his God. However, we shld all understand the need to reconcile with God at this time so sacrificing a lot of vices, been prayerful and getting close to God is more important than any other thing because in doing this we tend to improve our relationship with the lord such that even after lent we would have been a new creation and would have no need to go back to those vices. That is the essence of lent.
For the guy that asked if it is in the bible, You will recall that before our lord Jesus began his ministry he fasted for 40 days. This was to prepare him for the task ahead. The lenteen period as it is, is to prepare christians for the paschal sacrifice he shared for us all on the cross. At the sacrifice he has taken away our sins and made us a new creation. We need to prepare ourselves for that sacrifice. In the old testament the jews also observed a 40 days perion of fasting presiding the feast of passover, so I wonder where you coming from when you ask if it is in the bible. If you want to criticize do so contructively you don't criticize with a view of ridiculing the catholic church.
Re: What Will You Sacrifice This Lenten Season? by elampiro(m): 8:46am On Feb 23, 2012
Lent is the holiest period in the Catholic calender. All Catholics must see it as a time of reflection and self examination. Our modern world is so busy that we rarely have the time to pause and reflect. The bible tells us that Jesus withdrew to lonely places to meditate and be at peace with God. Also was John the baptist. The church in it's wisdom has created a time when Christians are to withdraw from the normal routine and create time for personal reflection. Like Jesus, we also have to withdraw from the daily noise and circularism to find time to be with God. This can only be achieved by having a spiritual agenda. In this lent, one can decide not to watch the TV except for news, and converting that extra time for bible reading and spiritual activities such as prayers. We can go on and on. At the end of the lent season, we should realise God's mission and purpose in our lives. In this way we can get better every year and grow in our Christian faith. On a global scale, those with eyes of faith can see clearly there is a struggle between good and evil, and the struggle appears to be reaching its peak. Before now, American Catholics health workers had a choice whether to participate in abortion and contraceptives distribution. But now the laws and edits are making mandatory for all health workers to participate. More and more states, countries and people are embracing homosexualism. We can see these issues form major part of debate for the US presidential candidates. It goes to show the human conscience is still at work, but the evil is so strong that morals are being swept underder the carpet. Late last year America passed a bill allowing soldiers to intimate with animals. In a no distance time Christians will have tough choices to make. Yes, there won't be middle ground as such. Last week a US cardinal who is in his 80s, looking at the way things are taking a turn, said 'I will die on my bed. My successor will die in prison while his successor will be martyred in the open square. We thank the senate here for passing a bill banning same sex marriage. They stood up for Christ. Nigeria is a relious nation, hence we can export morals to the whole world. We read how the western world tried to threaten us with removing financial aid. That takes us back to the fact that Christians will soon be unable to take a middle ground. You will either profess your faith or be a societal outcast. Which side are you and which side will you be? The world is taking a massive turning point, let us use this lent to reaffirm our faith and carry on forever with great conviction. May Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour grant us a strong faith as solid as Abraham and Paul.Amen.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Muttleylatff: What Does Homosexuality Serve In The Universe? / 20 False Doctrines In Churches Today- By Apostle Joseph Udoh / Jesus Christ IS Lucifer!!! 100% PROOF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.