Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,906 members, 7,835,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? (5520 Views)

What Do You Think About Nigeria Having An Association Controlling Blogging / See. What This Website Said About Nigeria In Their Article About Internet Users / About Internet Fraud. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by newacca: 10:05pm On Feb 22, 2012
Oluwa4Sure:

The Cash They Would Have Used To Give Us HIGH SPEED INTERNET SERVICE
Is Used To Buy Diesel To Power The Little Dey Can Provide!!
So Understand grin grin grin

funny, grin but seems to be true. lol
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by SkyRider1(m): 10:15pm On Feb 22, 2012
Na as the yeye Visafone internet wey i dey use now de do break and quench.

Dem just de launch yeye tokunbo satelites. Dem no fit launch better communication satellite.
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by tunde300us(m): 11:38pm On Feb 22, 2012
The biggest problem with internet is the last mile delivery.If u live in an area where there is good 3G u mite not believe all this stories of slow internet cos most of the time you will have it good,but if ure not so luck and u sometime have to manage edge or gprs then ur story will be different
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by dljbd1(m): 12:06am On Feb 23, 2012
cheats goes on mehn!
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by hackney(m): 12:23am On Feb 23, 2012
Aaahhhhh! ! ! ! ! !
no wonder!! ! ! ! ! !
Few weeks ago i load money tire for my sister MTN prepaid page.
the thing just dey revert to zero credit till the penny dropped! !
At first i thought it was incompetence on the part of mtn but then I thought to myself   "this man,  cant you see its a scam?"
I told  her to go to the mtn office and complain.
A legit company just scamming people and the entire country is taking it like a bunch of cave illiterates.
One day one of these fair skinned north african countries will come and colonize nigeria.
EWU !
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by denzel2009: 1:04am On Feb 23, 2012
Nigeria is keeping up with year 2000 as regards internet speeds. All the swift, glo etc they are selling to customers are just dial-up system which most technologically advanced countries have discarded.

Fiber optics will never happen in Nigeria cos its too expensive to lay the cables, even if they do average household will not be able to pay the bills.

The best solution to Nigeria's internet is for the ISPs to come together and have collocation agreements to set up Metropolitan Area Networks whereby hotspots will be available in different areas of the country and people will have a sensible internet via wi-fi system.

Or they could resuscitate NITEL and every household subscribe to ADSL lines.
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by Antiscam1: 3:24am On Feb 23, 2012
Nairaland is full of information deficient NIGERIANS!.So,none of d above over 50 posters knows dat there are two fibre optic undersea cable own by Nigerians that have connected Nigeria and Europe?
well,for your info Glo-1 cable runs from Uk to Alpha beach in Lagos with bandwith capacity in VERY high Trebyte capability.It even lands in about sixteen other african countries!, This is d last mile technology we need for broadband internet revolution:It was d first of its kind to be under taken by one single company in d whole world costing globacomm about $800M.

The only problem now is how to get dis bandwith to d hinterlands and allover Naija which is more of a govt problem because dey ve to provide a channel thru which dis things can move undisturbed underground in d cities and to every home!(note dat our cities are not planned)

The second of such under sea cable company is called MAIN ONE cables!.The combine capacities of dis two bandwith lying at Alpha beach in Lagos is far in Excess of what Nigeria needs for broadband!

It's may interest u to know dat dis glo-1 broadband has commenced operation in Ghana because d govt there has provided d right avenue to evacuate d bandwith to every home!, You can google for more info on dis. So learn to blame ur govt at d right time!, and for those of u shouting NITEL has been sold ?,I ask u:To who ?, Nitel is still there wasting away & not yet sold!
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by bulksms247(m): 7:02am On Feb 23, 2012
To be frank, the only person that will praise Nigeria ISP probably hasn't travelled outside Nigeria and used internet. I could remember when I used to praise MTN for their fast network but when I went travelled to china I saw what internet means it dosent take 1seconds for a page to load since then I dislike all the isp in Nigeria.
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by prefers555: 7:39am On Feb 23, 2012
@Anti-scam. Obviously u are ignorant in the field of telecommunication communication. Its not enough to google and say main one and glo is laying fibre optics all over the place. For your information, glo fibre optic has more capacity than any already existing fibre in africa, but ask yourself, why it wont deliver ethernet not fast ethernet speed (that of ur rj 45 used in your lan) across your wan connection. The answer is simple:the backbone infastructure that connects your metros and cities gulps requires more capital investment than all the fibres running around west africa. It requires less than half a million dollar to build a wimax tower, that covers less than 10 miles radius block, delivering throughput of less than 50 mb/sec in the case of nigeria(not even enough for ogba alone) while it requires millions of dollars to build metropolitan DSL/broadband infastructures. This is where NITEL should come in.

For ur information, it is a deliberate act to keep nitel redundant. The telcos and corrupt govt agencies know that with nitels presence in the market, prices will be cheaper. Check out what BT telecom is doing for the britons.
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by Gekko(m): 8:09am On Feb 23, 2012
prefers555:

@Anti-scam. Obviously u are ignorant in the field of telecommunication communication. Its not enough to google and say main one and glo is laying fibre optics all over the place. For your information, glo fibre optic has more capacity than any already existing fibre in africa, but ask yourself, why it wont deliver ethernet not fast ethernet speed (that of ur rj 45 used in your lan) across your wan connection. The answer is simple:the backbone infastructure that connects your metros and cities gulps requires more capital investment than all the fibres running around west africa. It requires less than half a million dollar to build a wimax tower, that covers less than 10 miles radius block, delivering throughput of less than 50 mb/sec in the case of nigeria(not even enough for ogba alone) while it requires millions of dollars to build metropolitan DSL/broadband infastructures. This is where NITEL should come in.

For ur information, it is a deliberate act to keep nitel redundant. The telcos and corrupt govt agencies know that with nitels presence in the market, prices will be cheaper. Check out what BT telecom is doing for the britons.

guy relax! did you even read his entire post? why did you call the guy ignorant especially when his contribution hits close to home and you are basically saying the same thing.
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by gempo(m): 8:16am On Feb 23, 2012
After doing all the hard work and now we have two broadband fiber optic cable landed on the shores of Lagos. Please let them try to resolve the bottlenecks so that the citizens of this country can start enjoying broadband technology, otherwise the efforts they have already put in will all be in vain.
Am sure it all boils down to corruption. A top official somewhere will not want to do what he is supposed to do unless he has something to gain.
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:19am On Feb 23, 2012
Dont mind those illitrate fools, as long as they get enuf service to make their dubious calls and text mssgs, they dnt care about the needs of their citizens who are just trying to keep themselves busy in this volatile ish of a country. May be it is when we all, out of boredom and frustration will decide to be militants that they will that we need fast internet speed. I for one am close to loosing my mind staying home with no light and a download speed of 2kps. Mtcheew!
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by forkadict(m): 10:38am On Feb 23, 2012
I have tried MTN, starcomms and Etisalat and all of them join, na serious rubbish all of dem be.

The most annoying of them all to me is Etisalat. With their rubbish adverts constantly assaulting one's ears that we now at long last have brodband that's faster than us. All na big big lie.

Let me not even mention my typical download speeds on all these so called ISPs. Very frustrating.
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by mattbel01(m): 11:04am On Feb 23, 2012
Very Very Very Poor, we are still paying for using internet it ought to be free.
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by aglomar: 11:51am On Feb 23, 2012
It's improving. I really wish it becomes ubiquitos n cheap because access 2 info has become a fundamental human right.

Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by tunde300us(m): 6:38am On Feb 24, 2012
There are actually 3 fibre cables that is in Nigeria for now and not two (SAT3,GLO-1 and MAIN ONE) and all of dem have enough capacity to make Nigeria's internet needs,like i said earlier the problem is the last mile connectivity which you receive which you receive when you try to connect to the internet from your homes/offices etc.

Glo has fibre in almost 25 states of the country, but the last mile infrastructure is not in all those states cos some state dont have demands for them and so it becomes a waste for any coy to waste money providing the 3G infrastructure when there isnt any demand for it
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by davesam4all: 7:04am On Feb 24, 2012
until the govt performs their part, then we'll still be slaving away at 5kbps - 200kbps, for a country like ours, its a shame
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by tunde300us(m): 9:12am On Feb 24, 2012
I hit 2mbps most of the time when am browsing,but if u dont have 3G wherever ure browsing frm then ur internet experince is a pipe dream.
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by lacicrips(m): 3:25pm On Apr 30, 2012
Gekko:

guy relax! did you even read his entire post? why did you call the guy ignorant especially when his contribution hits close to home and you are basically saying the same thing.

They both said the same thing. Why he called the guy ignorant is beyond me. smh
Re: What Do You Think About Internet Service In Nigeria? by franko2: 5:43pm On May 02, 2012
Sweatshirt:

What do you mean?

My HTC Sensation is is extremely fast. It's actually as fast as my broadband, so what are you talking about?

My HTC is capable of hitting download speeds of 14.4 Mbps (1.8 mb/s) on a 3G network, not Wifi but 3G

So it actually has nothing to do with wether it's wireless or not. Smarty pants. I'm in England so this proves Nigeria sucks when it comes to these things.

@Sweatshirt, i mean that u need fibreoptics cable to have fast broadband. Whether or not your phone is HTC matters not much. If you are in england, the least u can do is to use ur fast internet ser vice to google what am talking about.

In england, the "fibre" depends on BT cables, and Virgin cables, whiich is what the mobile networks piggy-back on to fasten their service provided.

Why do u think TalkTalk, Sky and PlusNet in UK always insist on you having a BT landline for them to provide you fast internet service?

I am not sure why this is difficult for you to understand. In return, your understanding of the basic concept, will help you remove the fog from those in naijas eyes.

Yes, there are 3 fibre networks now in naija. But, the cost of taking it to the "last mile/km" is usually borne by the state, as no network provider wants to do it - no economic returns in the short term, and they have to report yearly to shareholders and give them dividends. Doing "last mile" agbero work for hopeful payment in heaven is not exactly a private business model of note.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gym Quotes / Google Adsense Checks In Nigeria! / How Do I Build A Student Portal Website?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.