Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,041 members, 7,818,086 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

Help With Overheating Sienna - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help With Overheating Sienna (3074 Views)

Overheating – All You Need To Know / What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented / Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With Overheating Sienna by Dotng: 8:36am On Feb 24, 2012
Please I need your recommendation on the the Thermostart to buy as a replacement for my 1999 Toyota Sienna with a V6 engine. It was shipped from Baltimore (US). From what i can gather from discussion in this forum this might be what I need. I had my mechanic change it once but it worsened the problem that i had to ask him to reverse the changes he had made.
Re: Help With Overheating Sienna by bravolad(m): 10:58am On Feb 24, 2012
Dotng,
Your problem started because of the change of Thermostat. If you read through your owner's manual, Toyota gave a standing intruction 'that irrespective of the country of use, do not tamper with the thermostat'. Some mechanics would tell you to change it because Nigeria is a tropical country. But the car manufacturer has taken that into consideration hence, they tell you that the Thermostat helps cool the engine in an extreme weather condition.

It would be advisable for you to tell your mechanic to reverse it if he can or get smone competent enough to do it. This done, your car will get back to good old days.
Re: Help With Overheating Sienna by Dotng: 11:11am On Feb 24, 2012
bravolad:

Dotng,
Your problem started because of the change of Thermostat. If you read through your owner's manual, Toyota gave a standing intruction 'that irrespective of the country of use, do not tamper with the thermostat'. Some mechanics would tell you to change it because Nigeria is a tropical country. But the car manufacturer has taken that into consideration hence, they tell you that the Thermostat helps cool the engine in an extreme weather condition.

It would be advisable for you to tell your mechanic to reverse it if he can or get smone competent enough to do it. This done, your car will get back to good old days.

Actually, I had the overheating problem first that was why I asked the mechanic to change it. I had driven my sienna for over 8hrs with brief stops before i noted the temperature gauge had climaxed. I am suspecting that the mechanic replaced the thermostat with a spare that he had because the moment he did, the sienna overheats after driving for 15mins or so. I had to be filling the vehicle with water after it cooled down thrice before i took it back to him for him to reverse the changes he had made. Yesterday, I decided to add coolant to the radiator. one of the problems i noticed also that also happened this morning was that when I checked the water reserve compartment it was empty! It has happened a couple of times and the ground will not be wet.
Re: Help With Overheating Sienna by aAK1(m): 12:03pm On Feb 24, 2012
i tink u have a bad gasket.change it.
Re: Help With Overheating Sienna by KunleA2(m): 2:54pm On Feb 24, 2012
There is a possibility of damaging a head gasket if the overheating went on for too long. What i will ask you to do now is check the engine oil and see if it "normal" looking. If its foamy or milky, you have a problem.

The mechanic might have used a bad thermostat after changing the one from there. If you cannot get a good one, i will suggest that you go to the Toyota dealership and get a thermostat for like Hilux or Camry V6 engine.

Since Sienna are not sold thru Naija dealership, i am not sure if they will have the part but you get something that is close enough. At least you can rely on it to be a good one.

There is no guarantee that any "Tokunbo" thermostat you buy will be a good one. You have to trust the source of the ones you will be buying for something like that.

Also, check your radiator fan and relay to make sure that they are working properly.

Good luck out there.
Re: Help With Overheating Sienna by Dotng: 3:37pm On Feb 24, 2012
Thanks Kunle-A,
I have checked the engine oil and it is normal. I had my rewire work on my fan yesterday. so that it will blow at the speed at which it works when AC is switched on. it normally works a slower speed but i thought increasing its speed might be a better trick. The relay was also looked into ( I guess). So i think the only thing left for me is to look for a Toyota Dealership where I can get thermostat. Thanks
Re: Help With Overheating Sienna by ofegge73(m): 4:17pm On Feb 24, 2012
the solution to your problem cost peanuts.But first replace the thermostat that came with the car,.
I have helped a few people solve this problem.
Re: Help With Overheating Sienna by miccodb(m): 7:07pm On Feb 24, 2012
pls dont let anyone touch that car without a scan tool. scan for dtc and examine PIDs FIRST[color=#990000][/color]

(1) (Reply)

Epp Me, My Village People Want To Siphon Fuel In My Car Tank / Who Do You Prefer To Be Arrested By When You Offend – FRSC, LASTMA, VIO, Police? / I'm In Soup I Broke My Father's Car Side Mirror. I Need To Repair It Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.