Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,584 members, 7,854,494 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 06:47 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (148) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4495402 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) ... (2240) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chukzyfcb(m): 4:02pm On Dec 25, 2015
Sanchase:
Borrowing money to the Fed govt. at this point is a huge risk. The govt has increased its borrowings and Nigeria is gradually falling into huge debts that we don't even know who can implement a favourable policy to wipe these debts.

The economy is still very productive, the government officials are constantly feeding us with news of bankruptcy, there is an irony here as we know the economy is productive but still being told its not therefore the government has a hidden agenda.

Worse case scenario, these officials upon embezzling huge funds, they will declare themselves bankrupt. The federal govt will seek international bailout, it will get it on strict conditions. Investors in T-bills will be greatly affected.

I beg to disagree with you. In every budget, there is a set amount for "debt-service". 1.36trillion has been earmarked for Debt service this 2016 budget. Why are you faint hearted? Moreover the govt will always seek out means to source for funds . One way is by taxing the populace (Increase electricity tarrif, toll gate implementation, soon implementation of Speed limits in cars etc) . So I don't see the risk you speak about! Coz Govt always have a way to pay back Local debts

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 4:36pm On Dec 25, 2015
Gurus in the house....Hope the NTB will rise by February 2016?
My NTB will expire on 2nd week of February 2016
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sanchase: 5:37pm On Dec 25, 2015
As much as it sounds faint hearted, you dont want ur hard earned income to perish due to weak economic policies.

Yes the government is finding new ways of increasing revenues through taxes on the other hand the same government claims it cant pay minimum wages of 18k.

Nigeria don't need to borrow kobo to sustain the economy, the revenues generated are embezzled through loop holes in the system.

Apart from the risk I foresee in T-bills, the current inflation in naija kills tbills investment faster than a bullet for example if you had N50k naira which was $318 as of 18 months ago, today ur N50k is worth $187, thats 42% loss in which ever amount you invest with the fed govt, devaluation of naira will murder t-bills further if the fed govt dont get a grip.

Chukzyfcb:

I beg to disagree with you. In every budget, there is a set amount for "debt-service". 1.36trillion has been earmarked for Debt service this 2016 budget. Why are you faint hearted? Moreover the govt will always seek out means to source for funds . One way is by taxing the populace (Increase electricity tarrif, toll gate implementation, soon implementation of Speed limits in cars etc) . So I don't see the risk you speak about! Coz Govt always have a way to pay back Local debts
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 5:56pm On Dec 25, 2015
Sanchase:
Borrowing money to the Fed govt. at this point is a huge risk. The govt has increased its borrowings and Nigeria is gradually falling into huge debts that we don't even know who can implement a favourable policy to wipe these debts.

The economy is still very productive, the government officials are constantly feeding us with news of bankruptcy, there is an irony here as we know the economy is productive but still being told its not therefore the government has a hidden agenda.

Worse case scenario, these officials upon embezzling huge funds, they will declare themselves bankrupt. The federal govt will seek international bailout, it will get it on strict conditions. Investors in T-bills will be greatly affected.

If only you know that you are wrong about the methodology of government redeeming the Tbills /bonds payment. Have u ever wondered why payment of government instruments owed investors are done simultaneously with the sale of fresh instruments? Matured bills and bonds are settled after government has sold new bills and bonds. If investors refuse to buy due to low interest rates, you will find government increasing the rates to attract buyers. Unfortunately, even when we have observed low interest rates recently , the instruments have been over subscribed. Which means money will be available for government to redeem such debt.

See it like borrowing money from Peter to pay Paul. Borrow from James to pay Peter. And so on.

So no one should be afraid that government budgets will affect redemption of coupons for bonds and payment of bills at maturity
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Luckystar220: 6:06pm On Dec 25, 2015
unite4real:

If only you know that you are wrong about the methodology of government redeeming the Tbills /bonds payment. Have u ever wondered why payment of government instruments owed investors are done simultaneously with the sale of fresh instruments? Matured bills and bonds are settled after government has sold new bills and bonds. If investors refuse to buy due to low interest rates, you will find government increasing the rates to attract buyers. Unfortunately, even when we have observed low interest rates recently , the instruments have been over subscribed. Which means money will be available for government to redeem such debt.

So no one should be afraid that government budgets will affect redemption of coupons for bonds and payment of bills at maturity
i hope to see ur answers to my question
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 6:14pm On Dec 25, 2015
Sanchase:
As much as it sounds faint hearted, you dont want ur hard earned income to perish due to weak economic policies.

Yes the government is finding new ways of increasing revenues through taxes on the other hand the same government claims it cant pay minimum wages of 18k.

Nigeria don't need to borrow kobo to sustain the economy, the revenues generated are embezzled through loop holes in the system.

Apart from the risk I foresee in T-bills, the current inflation in naija kills tbills investment faster than a bullet for example if you had N50k naira which was $318 as of 18 months ago, today ur N50k is worth $187, thats 42% loss in which ever amount you invest with the fed govt, devaluation of naira will murder t-bills further if the fed govt dont get a grip.

TB returns used to be above inflation until the introduction of TSA. Its just the likelihood of devaluation and currency controls that has dollar investors holding back
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 6:18pm On Dec 25, 2015
Does anybody know the effects, if any, of a naira devaluation on TB for naira holders?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 6:18pm On Dec 25, 2015
Luckystar220:
I know believe me i knw but you know where the money will be deposited is in your bank account if it matures, so can you like change the bank and receive your investment in another bank if the main bank you used for the investment shutdowns..... please i don't know if u get wat im tryin to say....

Of course you can change your bank. All that will be required is to present your investment advice with a letter to the new bank and they will transmit your request to cbn which is the settlement bank. There are processes to follow but now that we have BVN, I supposed it will be simplified
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 6:25pm On Dec 25, 2015
Luckystar220:
I know believe me i knw but you know where the money will be deposited is in your bank account if it matures, so can you like change the bank and receive your investment in another bank if the main bank you used for the investment shutdowns..... please i don't know if u get wat im tryin to say....

Remember also that your money is with a custodian and not the bank
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Luckystar220: 6:39pm On Dec 25, 2015
[quote author=Sanchase post=41336255]As much as it sounds faint hearted, you dont want ur hard earned income to perish due to weak economic policies.

[/quote I don't rily know y u are quite sure this will happen very soon but if u consider the previous years has anything relating to this prevent investors earning from t.bills?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Luckystar220: 8:13pm On Dec 25, 2015
unite4real:

Of course you can change your bank. All that will be required is to present your investment advice with a letter to the new bank and they will transmit your request to cbn which is the settlement bank. There are processes to follow but now that we have BVN, I supposed it will be simplified
tankz i got dat...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by plendil: 8:40pm On Dec 26, 2015
yomi007k:

Olee grin

ITs good to dream naa!! grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by plendil: 8:45pm On Dec 26, 2015
olujaidi:
Does anybody know the effects, if any, of a naira devaluation on TB for naira holders?

Are you talking about the rate?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 12:28am On Dec 27, 2015
Who are those saying that NTB returns are better than real estate investment

How market...

PMB is saying you should take your money to do real business... Am not interested in borrowing your money...

If you force PMB to borrow your money, you will give him at 3%(90days)or 5%(@365 days)

Nawaooo for this PMB govt...guys are not smilling
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:54am On Dec 27, 2015
ukay2:

How market...

PMB is saying you should take your money to do real business... Am not interested in borrowing your money...

If you force PMB to borrow your money, you will give him at 3%(90days)or 5%(@365 days)

o boy is not easy
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by plendil: 12:09pm On Dec 27, 2015
ukay2:

How market...

when did he say that?

According to the budget, about NGN1T will come from domestic borrowing. And just how will they get the money if not increasing the TB rate? Is he going to point a gun at our heads and force us to lend?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 7:11pm On Dec 27, 2015
plendil:

when did he say that?

According to the budget, about NGN1T will come from domestic borrowing. And just how will they get the money if not increasing the TB rate? Is he going to point a gun at our heads and force us to lend?

This FGN is discouraging high interest rate for NTB and FGNBOND...

Despite the low rate now, people are still investing in this NTB/FGNBOND today....that is how FGN will still raise the 1Trillion naira from domestic borrowing...

When I listened to VICE PRESIDENT on channels TV 4weeks ago.... I understood what this govt is up to....discouraging people from investing in this govt financial securities, rather people should invest their money in the real business sector ,thereby stimulating the economy and employing more citizens...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Daddi: 12:34am On Dec 28, 2015
plendil:

no he's not talking about the rates rather the value of physical cash. Meaning if you have 1.5m in NTB maturing in April 2016 and naira was devalued in February 2016, how useless or useful has it made the cash?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yomi007k(m): 7:26am On Dec 28, 2015
ukay2:

Despite the low rate now, people are still investing in this NTB/FGNBOND today....that is how FGN will still raise the 1Trillion naira from domestic borrowing...

When I listened to VICE PRESIDENT on channels TV 4weeks ago.... I understood what this govt is up to....discouraging people from investing in this govt financial securities, rather people should invest their money in the real business sector ,thereby stimulating the economy and employing more citizens...

Bro Not everybody can invest in real businesses. If u work in a bank with very little time n u have spare cash, will u go and start a business that u cannot manage?

This is some peoples way of stimulating the economy, and if d govt throws it away then we wish dem d best.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mekaboy(m): 9:26am On Dec 28, 2015
ukay2:

How will u invest in real business when there is no clear economic policy. You go into importing of an item the next morning govt bans it.

You wake up and you can use your card to make payment abroad.

You can't place your finger on the price of the dollar.

You don't even know what the price of the item your selling will be when you want to purchase again. You don't know if your making profit or loss.

You don't even know if Naira will be devalued.

13 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Seun(m): 9:33am On Dec 28, 2015
mekaboy:

How will u invest in real business when there is no clear economic policy. You go into importing of an item the next morning govt bans it.

You don't even know what the price of the item your selling will be when you want to purchase again. You don't know if your making profit or loss.

You hit the nail on the head.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nduchucks: 10:04am On Dec 28, 2015
mekaboy:

This is the unfortunate state of affairs in Nigeria at this moment. It is difficult to divorce our current predicament from the massive looting which took place during the last administration. The damage done will take a few years to rectify.

Having said that, it is very clear that this is not a season for Import business in Nigeria. Wise businessmen are diversifying and focusing on exports because the naira has become very cheap, rendering exports very cheap to buyers overseas. The government also plans to encourage investments in manufacturing and producing local products for exports in addition to boosting economic activities within the country by providing stimulus funds as contained in the current budget.

The bitter truth is that, it will get a bit worse before it gets better, but many of us are optimistic about the outlook.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 7:43pm On Dec 28, 2015
plendil:

Rate and Purchasing power (using devalued naira to buy TB or the effect of a devaluation on a yet-to-mature TB)
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mekaboy(m): 9:15am On Dec 29, 2015
nduchucks:

This is the unfortunate state of affairs in Nigeria at this moment. It is difficult to divorce our current predicament from the massive looting which took place during the last administration. The damage done will take a few years to rectify.

Having said that, it is very clear that this is not a season for Import business in Nigeria. Wise businessmen are diversifying and focusing on exports because the naira has become very cheap, rendering exports very cheap to buyers overseas. The government also plans to encourage investments in manufacturing and producing local products for exports in addition to boosting economic activities within the country by providing stimulus funds as contained in the current budget.

The bitter truth is that, it will get a bit worse before it gets better, but many of us are optimistic about the outlook.

If only export was as easy as it sounds. Most Nigerian agro products have been banned abroad.

Well the govt is yet to encourage production, because before the intervention of the budget, electricity tariff and taxes will be increased making production more expensive.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pappilo(m): 9:55am On Dec 29, 2015
mekaboy:

I am sorry to say but you are part of the problem. Importing useless goods is not the type of business the poster meant. He said REAL BUSINESS SECTOR. How does your importing toothpick, toothpaste or the million other useless items help stimulate the economy or create jobs?

We must wean ourselves from this dependence of dollars to purchase useless goods from abroad.

I have lost money in real terms investing in Tbills but I aint mad. Our current system where we import every bloody item isnt sustainable.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mekaboy(m): 11:07am On Dec 29, 2015
pappilo:

I am sorry to say but you are part of the problem. Importing useless goods is not the type of business the poster meant. He said REAL BUSINESS SECTOR. How does your importing toothpick, toothpaste or the million other useless items help stimulate the economy or create jobs?

We must wean ourselves from this dependence of dollars to purchase useless goods from abroad.

I have lost money in real terms investing in Tbills but I aint mad. Our current system where we import every bloody item isnt sustainable.

My friend stop airing your ignorance. Does Nigeria import more than other countries in the west ? It's all about what you import. Even when you are into production you still import some equipments and raw material.

There is nothing wrong with importing if you have items for export as well to balance it. Your talking about how import stimulates the economy. You are using an imported phone and laptop and criticising import.

Who do you blame for the collapse of factories ? With high cost of setup and high interest rates, why will anyone want to risk large scale production?

Is it our fault that government abandoned every other natural resource we have and went for oil alone?

Who goes into production in an unstable country? Don't blame importers for the failure of govt.

What have u produced so far?

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:31pm On Dec 29, 2015
mekaboy:

My friend stop airing your ignorance. Does Nigeria import more than other countries in the west ? It's all about what you import. Even when you are into production you still import some equipments and raw material.

There is nothing wrong with importing if you have items for export as well to balance it. Your talking about how import stimulates the economy. You are using an imported phone and laptop and criticising import.

Who do you blame for the collapse of factories ? With high cost of setup and high interest rates, why will anyone want to risk large scale production?

Is it our fault that government abandoned every other natural resource we have and went for oil alone?

Who goes into production in an unstable country? Don't blame importers for the failure of govt.

Thanks for enlightening the 'over sabi' guy.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pappilo(m): 1:47pm On Dec 29, 2015
mekaboy:

You are a grade 1 slowpoke. It is not the government's responsibility to help source dollars to fund the ostentatious lifestyles of entitled new middle class clowns like yourself.

Why should the government source forex to help import all kinds of useless items that do not stimulate the economy. There is already an avenue for legitimate business people who need forex to import legitimate and approved items.

If you need dollars go and source it from the open market and pay the going rate dictated by demand and supply. Dont wait for government to source dollars for you.

The government's priority is the economy and the ordinary man on the street.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 29, 2015
pappilo:

You are a grade 1 slowpoke. It is not the government's responsibility to help source dollars to fund the ostentatious lifestyles of entitled new middle class clowns like yourself.

Why should the government source forex to help import all kinds of useless items that do not stimulate the economy. There is already an avenue for legitimate business people who need forex to import legitimate and approved items.

If you need dollars go and source it from the open market and pay the going rate dictated by demand and supply. Dont wait for government to source dollars for you.

The government's priority is the economy and the ordinary man on the street.
u guys can be more civil i guess

(1) (2) (3) ... (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) ... (2240) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: tabithababy(f), ayshegz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.