Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,574 members, 7,850,960 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:28 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1556) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4489297 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1553) (1554) (1555) (1556) (1557) (1558) (1559) ... (2240) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 10:02pm On Sep 22, 2020
Olaide1295:

Second, that owners of dollars in DOM accounts can't do FX transfers again. They are now being compelled to sell to the bank.
Are there people that waited until now?
When GTB came up with their inflow and transfer only policy, all man knew it was time to offload.

I offloaded @ 473 and smiled myself to sleep for 2 weeks.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 10:03pm On Sep 22, 2020
awesomeJ:

Which one?

GT Bank Hold Co or VGIF at 4.5%?
Both.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 10:05pm On Sep 22, 2020
TransAtlanticEx:
lol who do you think this is?
logobenz abi benzlogo sef.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TransAtlanticEx(m): 10:07pm On Sep 22, 2020
awesomeJ:

Did you just saw the word "naive" You unnecessarily overusing it.

anyways, Your idea of buying strong safe is good. I just don't think it's in your place to say people are devoid of sense for keeping FX in banks.
This is an economic thread.
It's in my place to let people know before time of impending economic blunders.
I wonder how smart a person who has fx in domm acct will feel when his hard earned fx is exchanged for 379 by his holding bank when abokis close by would have bought at 460.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TransAtlanticEx(m): 10:08pm On Sep 22, 2020
ifyalways:

logobenz abi benzlogo sef.
grin
Where you go since?
Shey you know you owe me something?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:10pm On Sep 22, 2020
ifyalways:

Both.

Well I think Agbaje's tenure will reach 10 years in 2021, maybe he's not ready to retire. But he can't be MD for longer than 10 years owing to CBN's restriction.

So what do you do?

I guess convert to a HoldCo like FBNH and STANBIC, then GTBANK becomes a subsidiary with it's own MD, and Agbaje can the climb up to become CEO of the parent HoldCo. They'll have the bank as well as a PFA, asset management firm etc as subsidiaries.

The reason for the conversion may be totally different from my opinion stated above, but the plan to convert has been announced.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cucumbar: 10:12pm On Sep 22, 2020
Olaide1295:
Many news coming in today.

First, that CBN has reduced the MPR to 11.5% (from 12.5%). Immediate effect is that interest on Savings deposits falls to 1.15 per annum.

Second, that owners of dollars in DOM accounts can't do FX transfers again. They are now being compelled to sell to the bank.
are you saying I can’t withdraw dollars as well?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:14pm On Sep 22, 2020
As for VGIF, it's benchmarked against CBN'S SDF

MPR is now 11.5% with a +100/-700 bps corridor.

That brings SDF to 4.5%. (11.5-7).
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 10:15pm On Sep 22, 2020
awesomeJ:

Well I think Agbaje's tenure will reach 10 years in 2021, maybe he's not ready to retire. But he can't be MD for longer than 10 years owing to CBN's restriction.

So what do you do?

I guess convert to a HoldCo like FBNH and STANBIC, the GTBANK becomes a subsidiary with it's own MD, and Agbaje can the climb up to become CEO of the parent HoldCo. They'll have the bank as well as a PFA, asset management firm etc as subsidiaries.

The reason for the conversion may be totally different from my opinion stated above, but the plan to convert has been announced.
Thank you, we are �
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olaide1295: 10:15pm On Sep 22, 2020
awesomeJ:

Could you please provide a link to the second info. These FX reforms are getting interesting.

A friend who has dollars at GTB mentioned it to me and then it started today. The bank said it’s a CBN policy.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 10:17pm On Sep 22, 2020
cucumbar:
are you saying I can’t withdraw dollars as well?
lol which universe are you living in ? cheesy
As at 2 months ago, if not more, No usd withdrawals, just transfers and now, u can only sell ur usd to the banks at a rate i dont even known
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:18pm On Sep 22, 2020
TransAtlanticEx:
This is an economic thread.
It's in my place to let people know before time of impending economic blunders.
I wonder how smart a person who has fx in domm acct will feel when his hard earned fx is exchanged for 379 by his holding bank when abokis close by would have bought at 460.

You may try to let people know about impending economic blunders, but you'll only be expressing an opinion which no one is bound to take. And more importantly, the fact that you're giving such opinions accords you no right to garnish/tarnish it with insults.

9 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 10:18pm On Sep 22, 2020
Olaide1295:

A friend who has dollars at GTB mentioned it to me and then it started today. The bank said it’s a CBN policy.
100% true
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 10:19pm On Sep 22, 2020
TransAtlanticEx:
grin
Where you go since?
Shey you know you owe me something?
Nwoke m rest o. lets not derail this thread sha cheesy
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TransAtlanticEx(m): 10:22pm On Sep 22, 2020
awesomeJ:

You may try to let people know about impending economic blunders, but you'll only be expressing an opinion which no one is bound to take. And more importantly, the fact that you're giving such opinions accords you no right to garnish/tarnish it with insults.
1)I don't give opinions,I give calculated predictions(not your typical songbird).
2)Yes,only a dunce will still have his fx in any bank after all the signs and warnings(I reiterate).
Dunces were created so they can lose money they probably didn't work for to smarter people,in this case banks,BDCs,etc...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:23pm On Sep 22, 2020
Olaide1295:

Interesting.

I've always used NAFEX rate to value my USD holdings. So no difference for me.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TransAtlanticEx(m): 10:23pm On Sep 22, 2020
ifyalways:

Nwoke m rest o. lets not derail this thread sha cheesy
I no go rest until you give me cool
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:24pm On Sep 22, 2020
TransAtlanticEx:
1)I don't give opinions,I give calculated predictions(not your typical songbird).
2)Yes,only a dunce will still have his fx in any bank after all the signs and warnings(I reiterate).
Dunces were created so they can lose money they probably didn't work for to smarter people,in this case banks,BDCs,etc...

You're on your own.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TransAtlanticEx(m): 10:25pm On Sep 22, 2020
awesomeJ:

Interesting.

I've always used NAFEX rate to value my USD holdings. So no difference for me.
cheesy cheesy cheesy
You must be the most contented person on earth.
Maybe dangote's NL account grin grin grin
Liar!when you Bleep up gree say you Bleep up and quit making funny excuses.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cucumbar: 10:28pm On Sep 22, 2020
ifyalways:

lol which universe are you living in ? cheesy
As at 2 months ago, if not more, No usd withdrawals, just transfers and now, u can only sell ur usd to the banks at a rate i dont even known
well, maybe in selected banks. I was privy to a withdrawal of 20k dollars like two weeks back, and I’m very sure you can withdraw in zenith bank subject to availability in the branch you wish to withdraw.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 10:29pm On Sep 22, 2020
cucumbar:
well, maybe in selected banks. I was privy to a withdrawal of 20k dollars like two weeks back, and I’m very sure you can withdraw in zenith bank subject to availability in the branch you wish to withdraw.
You may be right.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TransAtlanticEx(m): 10:31pm On Sep 22, 2020
awesomeJ:

You're on your own.
I've always been,not new to me.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:32pm On Sep 22, 2020
TransAtlanticEx:
cheesy cheesy cheesy
You must be the most contented person on earth.
Maybe dangote's NL account grin grin grin
Liar!when you Bleep up gree say you Bleep up and quit making funny excuses.

What exactly are you saying? Bleep up how?

I wasn't even talking to you now was I?

Well, i'll educate you.

I hold dollars that are lent to the FG as eurobonds. I don't need the fund. I have ample naira. I only need it to have some dollar earnings. It's serving its purpose.

I didn't buy it to speculate so I wasn't interested in selling even at 480 so what's your headache?

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TransAtlanticEx(m): 10:38pm On Sep 22, 2020
awesomeJ:

Well, i'll educate you.

I hold dollars that are lent to the FG as eurobonds. I don't need the fund. I have ample naira. I only need it to have some dollar earnings. It's serving its purpose.

I didn't buy it to speculate so I wasn't interested in selling even at 480 so what's your headache?
How much Eurobond want give you that will surpass speculative,easy earnings?
Are you out to make money or to make name?
Because any rational human being would speculate rather than invest in any sort of Eurobond because clearly,the speculation at that point you say you were in will pay better and seem more like the better thing to do.
I don't have any headache actually,I'm very relaxed tbh...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:38pm On Sep 22, 2020
cucumbar:

It started since late February.

It's not that you can't make withdrawals.

The rule was funds should exit a dorm account via the same channel they came in through.

So if you buy dollars from aboki and pay cash into your dorm. You can only take out that fund via cash withdrawal. No transfer.

On the other hand if funds entered your dorm through local or offshore transfer, you can only take it out via transfer. No cash withdrawal.

So it's not about the bank, it's about how the money came in.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Dum20: 10:42pm On Sep 22, 2020
awesomeJ:

Well, i'll educate you.

There are Nigerians that work in African countries and they are paid in dollars. The dollars is paid into their Dorm accounts.

Not everyone owns a dorm account for speculation.

I wonder if this new CBN policy will affect them.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cucumbar: 10:45pm On Sep 22, 2020
awesomeJ:

It started since late February.

It's not that you can't make withdrawals.

The rule was funds should exit a dorm account via the same channel they came in through.

So if you buy dollars from aboki and pay cash into your dorm. You can only take out that fund via cash withdrawal. No transfer.

On the other hand if funds entered your dorm through local or offshore transfer, you can only take it out via transfer. No cash withdrawal.

So it's not about the bank, it's about how the money came in.
. Oh okay. I’m aware of this.
Your initial post suggested that there was a new directive that you can only access funds in your dorm account by converting at the cBN rate.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:45pm On Sep 22, 2020
TransAtlanticEx:
How much Eurobond want give you that will surpass speculative,easy earnings?
Are you out to make money or to make name?
Because any rational human being would speculate rather than invest in any sort of Eurobond because clearly,the speculation at that point you say you were in will pay better and seem more like the better thing to do.
I don't have any headache actually,I'm very relaxed tbh...

Well, it depends on who you're watching.

More importantly you can't be building something and tearing it down at thesame time.

I remember you or someone else has referred to my comments about the economy as only patriotic. That's true.

I love my nation. Where else would I love? And I'm actively involved in turning the fortunes of this country around for good spiritually.

So I'll be deceiving myself to even consider speculating or any such thing that may sabotage the progress I pray earnestly for.

I have ample supply, I'm not desperate!

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aieromon(m): 10:46pm On Sep 22, 2020
awesomeJ:
As for VGIF, it's benchmarked against CBN'S SDF

MPR is now 11.5% with a +100/-700 bps corridor.

That brings SDF to 4.5%. (11.5-7).

SDF is MPR less 5%

11.5 - 5.0 = 6.5%

Modified: SDF is now MPR less 7% based on the new CBN directive
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:47pm On Sep 22, 2020
Dum20:

There are Nigerians that work in African countries and they are paid in dollars. The dollars is paid into their Dorm accounts.

Not everyone owns a dorm account for speculation.

I wonder if this new CBN policy will affect them.

I don't know who/what you meant to quote. There's nothing in my posts that disagrees with what you stated.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:48pm On Sep 22, 2020
cucumbar:
. Oh okay. I’m aware of this.
Your initial post suggested that there was a new directive that you can only access funds in your dorm account by converting at the cBN rate.

It's a post from someone else. Not mine.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TransAtlanticEx(m): 10:50pm On Sep 22, 2020
awesomeJ:

Well, it depends on who you're watching.

More importantly you can't be building something and tearing it down at thesame time.

I remember you or someone else has referred to my comments about the economy as only patriotic. That's true.

I love my nation. Where else would I love? And I actively involved in turning the fortunes of this country around for good spiritually.

So I'll be deceiving myself to even consider speculating or anything such thing that may sabotage the progress I pray earnestly for.

I have ample supply, I'm not desperate!
Unfortunately your patriotism can't make a difference because right now you are the only Nigerian that isn't cashing out on this naira collapse like you say.
So where would your patriotism lead you?
Why not make enough free money via speculation to raise enough money you don't need so as to engage in charity,like building free state of the art hospitals,etc...?
That way your patriotism will achieve more results,than taking your fx to go and dash CBN for their incompetence in the name of patriotism undecided

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1553) (1554) (1555) (1556) (1557) (1558) (1559) ... (2240) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.