Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,286 members, 7,850,010 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:51 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1759) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4487602 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1756) (1757) (1758) (1759) (1760) (1761) (1762) ... (2239) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:44pm On Feb 13, 2021
Leezah:
Fear fear follow Emma make e show you road.

There are different routes to financial independence eg business, real estate, invention, stock market, fixed income, Treasury Bills, just do what suits your cash flow, knowledge, experience and Investment temperament.

A lady in her 60s (who worked for 30 years as a salary earners) builts her money to over N200 million through Eurobond, Treasury Bill and fixed income, not bad for a very conservative investor in Nigeria

11 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:45pm On Feb 13, 2021
ositadima1:

I invested 40k or so in ethereum in 2019, I watched it's up and down movement for a while, just for fun, and then forgot all about it. I checked yesterday and value is now 130k. Should have bought more. embarassed

Just 40k, you should have speculated with bigger funds
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:09pm On Feb 13, 2021
ositadima1:

I invested 40k or so in ethereum in 2019, I watched it's up and down movement for a while, just for fun, and then forgot all about it. I checked yesterday and value is now 130k. Should have bought more. embarassed

They say the market is still growing na. You can still pump more funds and become financially independent in just a couple of years grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Leezah(f): 2:15pm On Feb 13, 2021
ositadima1:

Lol don't be greedy be contented.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Leezah(f): 2:19pm On Feb 13, 2021
shocked
emmanuelewumi:

There are different routes to financial independence eg business, real estate, invention, stock market, fixed income, Treasury Bills, just do what suits your cash flow, knowledge, experience and Investment temperament.

A lady in her 60s (who worked for 30 years as a salary earners) builts her money to over N200 million through Eurobond, Treasury Bill and fixed income, not bad for a very conservative investor in Nigeria
Is that's still possible today with a minimum wage of 30k?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:26pm On Feb 13, 2021
Leezah:
shocked Is that's still possible today with a minimum wage of 30k?

Nothing is impossible if you want it to work out. The important thing is to invest regularly, no matter how little.

300k invested in Nestle shares in 2000 is now worth worth N48 million and over N20 million earned as dividends in the last 20 years.

That same 300k would have bought a Tokunboh Mercedes Benz car in 2000

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:44pm On Feb 13, 2021
Leezah:
Lol don't be greedy be contented.

The amount invested was small, he is now suffering from investor's remorse

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Leezah(f): 2:46pm On Feb 13, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Macktaob(m): 5:00pm On Feb 13, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

If he had lost, what remorse would he be suffering from?! Lol, one would always be smart to put in small funds in high risk investments whether it later worked positive or negative.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:11pm On Feb 13, 2021
Macktaob:

If he had lost, what remorse would he be suffering from?! Lol, one would always be smart to put in small funds in high risk investments whether it later worked positive or negative.

So you agree with me that na high risk venture. Reason why I love investing in income or cash flow generating assets

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 5:42pm On Feb 13, 2021
Akin3891:

Yes long time bond is the way to go but we won't have favorable bond rates untill tbs rate increase significantly, I'm hoping rate could get to 6/7 before year ends.

As soon as I can secure at least 13% in a long time bond, I will opt out of tbs then launch my net with bonds. With long time bond, you save yourself the headaches that comes with high n low rates during economic crisis

Getting sense grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 5:45pm On Feb 13, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Returns from bonds and Treasury Bills are not inflation proof, unless you have a strategy to achieve it

Good strategy will win any inflation

Like reinvesting the coupons into equities at high dividend yields

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 5:49pm On Feb 13, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Your N10 million invested in a 30 years bond at 15%, will give you a steady coupon of N1.5 million for 30 years. Even when N1.5 million losses it's value due to inflation, unlike an investor who got an annual dividend of N1.5 million from Zenith bank about 12 years ago who is currently getting a dividend of N6 million.

Same with rental income, the rent can't remain at N1.5 million for 30 years

Equities bought at good bargain price makes so much sense

Both capital appreciation and dividends payments too

The coupons payment from bonds keep you liquid all year round to take good position in bear in the equity market

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 5:59pm On Feb 13, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Nothing is impossible if you want it to work out. The important thing is to invest regularly, no matter how little.

300k invested in Nestle shares in 2000 is now worth worth N48 million and over N20 million earned as dividends in the last 20 years.

Buying your future today vs Enjoying life today

Different strokes for different folks

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by QuinModah(f): 6:44pm On Feb 13, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

That's the key word

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:56pm On Feb 13, 2021
QuinModah:
That's the key word

But most time we want fast money or unsustainable income through speculation.

Speculation is not bad ooo. Investment speculation ratio of 9:1 is okay

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Macktaob(m): 9:29pm On Feb 13, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

So you agree with me that na high risk venture. Reason why I love investing in income or cash flow generating assets
Sure
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 7:41am On Feb 14, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:
More crypto discussions undecided. How many of us even get crypto investment sef ? grin

Na wa...
I don tire again grin grin grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tvegas(m): 8:07am On Feb 14, 2021
ukay2:

Buying your future today vs Enjoying life today
Different strokes for different folks
In trying to buy the future also remember that the future is unknown. Enjoy today, ensure you splash some major portion of your profit on yourself. Buy that Benz ,buy that Rover, buy that latest phone make yourself very happy,Help your families, Bless other people , lift them from poverty.

As an investor living in Nigeria once you clock 40 start writing your will and start ensuring that a substantial part of your income is splurged on you. If you are a teenager or you are in the 20s,30s you still have a lot of time to keep saving and buying the future. We've learnt a thing or two from 2020.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:11am On Feb 14, 2021
Tvegas:
In trying to buy the future also remember that the future is unknown. Enjoy today, ensure you splash some major portion of your profit on yourself. Buy that Benz ,buy that Rover, buy that latest phone make yourself very happy,Help your families, Bless other people , lift them from poverty.

As an investor living in Nigeria once you clock 40 start writing your will and start ensuring that a substantial part of your income is splurged on you. If you are a teenager or you are in the 20s,30s you still have a lot of time to keep saving and buying the future. We've learnt a thing or two from 2020.

True talk. Especially the bolded. It baffles me when I see wealthy people living very frugal lives. So what is the real point of making all that money? To suffer and then die and have children and grandchildren blow through the money? Makes no sense.

But the Benz and Range Rover part I don’t agree with for anyone that is not earning a solid salary or is an established business man. Buying luxury cars like Benz and Range Rover is the reason many young people are struggling today. They won’t admit it but many are struggling to maintain these cars and the maintenance is taking a large chunk of their earnings and really killing them financially. If you can’t afford to comfortably maintain these cars, then you have no business buying them.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:37am On Feb 14, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

True talk. Especially the bolded. It baffles me when I see wealthy people living very frugal lives. So what is the real point of making all that money? To suffer and then die and have children and grandchildren blow through the money? Makes no sense.

But the Benz and Range Rover part I don’t agree with for anyone that is not earning a solid salary or is an established business man. Buying luxury cars like Benz and Range Rover is the reason many young people are struggling today. They won’t admit it but many are struggling to maintain these cars and the maintenance is taking a large chunk of their earnings and really killing them financially. If you can’t afford to comfortably maintain these cars, then you have no business buying them.

Estate Planning and Wealth management is very important, if not wealth built in the last 40 years will be squandered in less than 4 years. Most Asset Management firms provide Estate planning and Wealth management services

With Estate planning and Wealth management it is possible to build a generational wealth. Rockefeller, Ford, etc died about 100 years ago, the family wealth and assets are still in billions of dollars

Using leverage to buy a Benz or Range Rover, is a recipe to become a slave to money and such a person might not be able to escape the rat race. But if one is liquid and generating more than enough passive income, all well and good

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:42am On Feb 14, 2021
Tvegas:

The future is known it is either bleak or bright. As you lay your bed, so you will lie on it. Nigeria is where it is today, because we believed the future cant be predicted and it will take care of itself

The most important thing is to ensure the sustainability of the good times, through careful spending, savings and Investments.

No point enjoying good times 20 years ago or while working and earning big, only to retire into penury or being a liability on our children.

Some memories can either make us happy or sober.

Enjoy part of the cash flow from your Investments but allow the capital to grow and compound

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 10:51am On Feb 14, 2021
I think just as we have people with different characters so are there people who are either frugal or extravagant. Having carefully observed lots of people, I have come to the conclusion that a frugal person will continue to remain so even if he knows next month is his last month on earth while the extravagant one will rather spend all his money on frivolities even if he knows there are important bills to pay and there is a future ahead.

Funny thing is that both parties believe they are right and sneer at the behavior of the other party. Both parties never understand why the other do the things they do.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:13am On Feb 14, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Estate Planning and Wealth management is very important, if not wealth built in the last 40 years will be squandered in less than 4 years. Most Asset Management firms provide Estate planning and Wealth management services

With Estate planning and Wealth management it is possible to build a generational wealth. Rockefeller, Ford, etc died about 100 years ago, the family wealth and assets are still in billions of dollars

Using leverage to buy a Benz or Range Rover, is a recipe to become a slave to money and such a person might not be able to escape the rat race. But if one is liquid and generating more than enough passive income, all well and good

I personally don’t believe in creating generational wealth. I mean if I have loads of assets when I die, I would want them shared amongst my heirs. But it certainly will not be my driving force when I am saving or investing.

If I can provide a very comfortable standard of living for my children, have enough investments for their education (to any level and at any university of their choice) and ensure they are well fed, clothed and sheltered when I’m gone, the rest of the money is for me to live a good life now on this earth o.

I can’t be suffering on earth for my unborn generations to enjoy. My children and children’s children will sort themselves out with the solid education I will give them smiley

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:26am On Feb 14, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

I personally don’t believe in creating generational wealth. I mean if I have loads of assets when I die, I would want them shared amongst my heirs. But it certainly will not be my driving force when I am saving or investing.

If I can provide a very comfortable standard of living for my children, have enough investments for their education (to any level and at any university of their choice) and ensure they are well fed, clothed and sheltered when I’m gone, the rest of the money is for me to live a good life now on this earth o.

I can’t be suffering on earth for my unborn generations to enjoy. My children and children’s children will sort themselves out with the solid education I will give them smiley

A lot of educated people with professional qualifications in the labour market. Education alone, hardly gives a good headstart

That is very good, that is how our past leaders did not plan for the next generation. We are currently sorting out ourselves. Dangote is where he is partly as a result of the generational his grandfather built

Norway has over $1 Trillion in their Sovereign Wealth Fund, with a population of less than 10 million. The country is getting dividends from the biggest countries in the world Microsoft, Apple, Shell, Coca cola etc.

Nigeria with a population of over 200 million does not have $100 billion in her SWF

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:47am On Feb 14, 2021
ojesymsym:
I think just as we have people with different characters so are there people who are either frugal or extravagant. Having carefully observed lots of people, I have come to the conclusion that a frugal person will continue to remain so even if he knows next month is his last month in earth while the extravagant one will spend rather spend all his money on frivolities even if he knows there are important bills to pay and there is a future ahead.

Funny thing is that both parties believe they are right and sneer at the behavior of the other category. Both parties never understand why the other do the things they do.

Correct.

Frugal parents leave a will and Investments for their children, extravagant parents leave bills and liabilities for their children to settle.

It is an African thing.

Yoruba people have an adage " before my children will eat twenty, I must have consumed thirty".

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:51am On Feb 14, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

A lot of educated people with professional qualifications in the labour market. Education alone, hardly gives a good headstart

That is very good, that is how our past leaders did not plan for the next generation. We are currently sorting out ourselves. Dangote is where he is partly as a result of the generational his grandfather built

Norway has over $1 Trillion in their Sovereign Wealth Fund, with a population of less than 10 million. The country is getting dividends from the biggest countries in the world Microsoft, Apple, Shell, Coca cola etc.

Nigeria with a population of over 200 million does not have $100 million in her SWF

I disagree with the bolded. But that is another story for another day wink

You cannot compare countries and governments planning for the future to families’ planning for unborn generations.

For countries, it is our right as tax paying citizens for government to make good use of our taxes to provide services for current and future generations. That is what government is there for. But it is not my children’s right to demand that I keep money for them to live a good life in the future after I have provided good education for them.

I beat my chest when I say that people who go to the best schools and perform well are not roaming the streets looking for jobs. I play my part by sending the kids to good schools, they play their parts by doing well and everyone is happy when employers come rushing them smiley

I understand that different folks have different views when it comes to creating generational wealth and this is fine. Personally, I don’t believe in it.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:56am On Feb 14, 2021
Better to have one or two kids that one can provide the best for and then live life jeje with no stress than to have 20 kids that one is struggling to ensure that they and their unborn generations enjoy life.

This is what leads to the kind of corruption we see in Naija where bastarrds are stealing billions and billions and are still not satisfied. They will tell you they are stashing the money for unborn generations angry

This is also why Naija people are dying more of unnecessary stress, High blood pressure and strokes everyday. They want to hustle to make billions to invest for unborn generations undecided

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:03pm On Feb 14, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

I disagree with the bolded. But that is another story for another day wink

You cannot compare countries and governments planning for the future to families’ planning for unborn generations.

For countries, it is our right as tax paying citizens for government to make good use of our taxes to provide services for current and future generations. That is what government is there for. But it is not my children’s right to demand that I keep money for them to live a good life in the future after I have provided good education for them.

I beat my chest when I say that people who go to the best schools and perform well are not roaming the streets looking for jobs. I play my part by sending the kids to good schools, they play their parts by doing well and everyone is happy when employers come rushing them smiley

I understand that different folks have different views when it comes to creating generational wealth and this is fine. Personally, I don’t believe in it.

Between 1920 and 1930, his grandfather was the biggest customer of British Bank of West Africa now known as First Bank Read " The making and Makers of Nigerian private enterprise" by Tom Forrest. His trading empire extended to Ghana.

For people building generational wealth they are not training or educating their children to be employees

They already have family businesses or Investments and other money making assets that should be nurtured and grown in order to build more wealth from generation to generation.

Estate planning and Wealth management are some of the tools used by the wealthy to perpetuate their wealth, which some middle class are now adopting

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:15pm On Feb 14, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Between 1920 and 1930, his grandfather was the biggest customer of British Bank of West Africa now known as First Bank Read " The making and Makers of Nigerian private enterprise" by Tom Forrest. His trading empire extended to Ghana.

For people building generational wealth they are not training or educating their children to be employers.

They already have family businesses or Investments that should be nurtured and grown in order to build more wealth.

Boss, let’s leave Dangote story for another day wink

You are assuming that every child wants to be a business man? That is wrong.

Even if I have empires, I still will not force my children to go into the business if they don’t want to. I provide a good education and if they are lucky that I also happen to have an empire, they are free to take it over when I die or come join me in what I will be doing for fun then cool

The goal is to give the children the solid foundation to go out and be the best that they can be. Not for me to be suffering and focusing on building a fortune for them and their unborn generations.

By the way, nothing stops the children from raising their own money to go into business. Trust me, with the education and connections from good schools, they will raise money easily. Keem Bello Osagie’s father provided a solid foundation. Keem did the rest with this foundation grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:24pm On Feb 14, 2021
We had a neighbour while growing up, he was an accountant with the Leventis family. The man studied the Leventis family, how they grew the family wealth. He worked with the father, when the father died he worked with the children.

The man later decided to establish a good Estate Planning and wealth management for his family.

When the man died 23 years ago, he had 2 children. One was an Economist the other an Engineer who graduated from a polytechnic.

Each child got shares worth over 4 million each.

This gave the child with HND a headstart, part of the money was used to establish a civil engineer and real estate company and has turned around the money. By conservative estimate he should have grown the N4 million to over N400 million, based on his real estate and stock portfolio. The Economist is in the US, so we have little information about him

The annual scholarship given by the foundation established by the late accountant was N1 million about 20 years ago, but currently worth an annual scholarship of over N5 million managed by his church and United Capital.

This is what wealth management can do, even in his grave the man can still give scholarship worth over N5 million. As the fund grows the amount given out as scholarship will increase

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1756) (1757) (1758) (1759) (1760) (1761) (1762) ... (2239) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: TrainPark, cutedharmee, mymadam(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.