Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,244 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1793) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4444370 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1790) (1791) (1792) (1793) (1794) (1795) (1796) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 3:29pm On Mar 07, 2021
jedisco:

I do stocks and metals (gold)... I've started pulling out slowly from stocks cos the space is becoming more uncertain and it's not my forte. I do metals not for profit per se but cos it's traditionally been a hedge against inflation (over time).

Metals. As in CFDs, Futures?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 3:37pm On Mar 07, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:
Let me play devil’s advocate here grin

So you decide to buy shares in a REIT (instead of buying a property) and you are getting dividends from the shares. Cool stuff. But then you need cash for another project and decide to sell your shares but the share price has seriously fallen or you can’t even find buyer for the shares.

Wouldn’t you have been better off with a property in your name in a decent location where everything is within your control and stock market forces do not determine what you get if/when you decide to sell REIT shares that are illiquid in Naija?

I’m not saying one is better than the other o. Abeg o. Na just realistic question I dey ask o grin
How long would it take you to buy land, settle agbero and onile, build house then before generating profit? With REIT the entry point is lower plus it saves you the hassles. But las las e good to own land
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by richforever123: 4:11pm On Mar 07, 2021
afroxyz:

How long would it take you to buy land, settle agbero and onile, build house then before generating profit? With REIT the entry point is lower plus it saves you the hassles. But las las e good to own land

He always has a negative idea about everything, even if you tell him you are keeping the money in the bank account, he will come out and say something negative like you are losing money due to inflation

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 5:15pm On Mar 07, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:
E be like say I go try this REIT o grin

Lol

You're so funny
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 07, 2021
grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 5:16pm On Mar 07, 2021
richforever123:

He always has a negative idea about everything, even if you tell him you are keeping the money in the bank account, he will come out and say something negative like you are losing money due to inflation

He uses it as a kind of knowing expert opinions grin

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 5:17pm On Mar 07, 2021
The discussions in this trade have been very brilliant

Just finished reading 15 pages...waoo

Weldone everyone

@emmanuelewumi et al, weldone Sirs and Mas

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 07, 2021
ukay2:

He uses it as a kind of knowing expert opinions grin

grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:24pm On Mar 07, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:
E be like say I go try this REIT o grin

Invest in what you understand

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:38pm On Mar 07, 2021
afroxyz:

Better to own the place you reside.

But it is not worth it, having Investment properties in some parts of Lagos and Ogun State eg Ikorodu, Ibafo, Ifo, Mowe and other places with low income earners

An elderly woman in her late 70s wanted me to assist her sell her Investment property at Ibafo because tenants have been owing her for almost 3 years

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 7:04pm On Mar 07, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

But it is not worth it, having Investment properties in some parts of Lagos and Ogun State eg Ikorodu, Ibafo, Ifo, Mowe and other places with low income earners

An elderly woman in her late 70s wanted me to assist her sell her Investment property at Ibafo because tenants have been owing her for almost 3 years

I have been having this opinion for a long while i.e if it is profitable building a house and renting? Given timeframe to recoup investments. i prefer buying lands fencing and selling off later or as a preserver of wealth and hedge against inflation. if the land is in a very good location, personally i prefer building an event centre. lower overhead costs and increased cash flow.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:02pm On Mar 07, 2021
richforever123:

I know you are just pained because of what I said about your so called ‘fintech asset managers’. So I can’t really blame you grin

But I repeat and mark my words. At least one of those guys will go bust in the near future and na that time all man eyes go clear. Which one will go bust first? lipsrsealed
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:06pm On Mar 07, 2021
More on REIT.

The keyword is income generating real estate

1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by richforever123: 9:48pm On Mar 07, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

I know you are just pained because of what I said about your so called ‘fintech asset managers’. So I can’t really blame you grin

But I repeat and mark my words. At least one of those guys will go bust in the near future and na that time all man eyes go clear. Which one will go bust first? lipsrsealed

Nice!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by QuinModah(f): 2:52am On Mar 08, 2021
Philantropists:
Ok in your opinion everyone run to one Nigerian pastor every sunday to receive hope?

Anyway, the information I posted is to whom it may concern, it was never for you.
You have been advised countless times.

go seat somewhere
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yazga: 8:58am On Mar 08, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Most times Nigerians want to own a house so as to be called a landlord.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yazga: 9:00am On Mar 08, 2021
afroxyz:

I have been having this opinion for a long while i.e if it is profitable building a house and renting? Given timeframe to recoup investments. i prefer buying lands fencing and selling off later or as a preserver of wealth and hedge against inflation. if the land is in a very good location, personally i prefer building an event centre. lower overhead costs and increased cash flow.
As regards the event center, nice idea but with time people would find a better way to host their events.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:37am On Mar 08, 2021
yazga:
Most times Nigerians want to own a house so as to be called a landlord.

It makes sense to be a landlord. My old man had a tenant who paid N120 per annum in 1983 at N10 per month, the apartment now goes for N600,000 per annum or N50,000 per month.

But not worth it having Investment properties in some locations, hoping to have them as your retirement plan

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by LauraClasikVibe(f): 10:03am On Mar 08, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

It makes sense to be a landlord. My old man had a tenant who paid N120 per annum in 1983 at N10 per month, the apartment now goes for N600,000 per annum or N50,000 per month.

But not worth it having Investment properties in some locations, hoping to have them as your retirement plan
e.g Ibafo, Ogun,
Uwelu in Benin,
Ikorodu, Lagos,
Gbesa, Abuja,
Awgu, Enugu
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:09am On Mar 08, 2021
LauraClasikVibe:
e.g Ibafo, Ogun, Uwelu in Benin, Ikorodu, Lagos, Gbesa, Abuja, Agwu, Enugu
why Abuja ?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by LauraClasikVibe(f): 10:20am On Mar 08, 2021
Gbesa in Abuja they owe like say tomorrow no dey most residnet there are gov contractors, u here things like " gov has not paid us for the job we did"
ahiboilandgas:
why Abuja ?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:28am On Mar 08, 2021
LauraClasikVibe:
Gbesa in Abuja they owe like say tomorrow no dey most residnet there are gov contractors, u here things like " gov has not paid us for the job we did"
supply has passed demand and no proper morgate system with irregular income ....

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by LauraClasikVibe(f): 10:31am On Mar 08, 2021
is that a reason for them to owe?
ahiboilandgas:
supply has passed demand and no proper morgate system with irregular income ....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:59am On Mar 08, 2021
LauraClasikVibe:
is that a reason for them to owe?
yup....they have so many choices but Lagos choices are limited if your landlord eject u there are 100 people waiting in line ...but Abuja the tenate is king

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 11:02am On Mar 08, 2021
yazga:
As regards the event center, nice idea but with time people would find a better way to host their events.

For naija? Where everyone likes to show off. I doubt

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 11:05am On Mar 08, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

What about inflation from 1983 till now?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by LauraClasikVibe(f): 11:27am On Mar 08, 2021
ahiboilandgas:
yup....they have so many choices but Lagos choices are limited if your landlord eject u there are 100 people waiting in line ...but Abuja the tenate is king
Na wa o
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:05pm On Mar 08, 2021
afroxyz:

What about inflation from 1983 till now?

It beats inflation and currency devaluation hands down.

N1 was almost equivalent to $1 in 1983
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:21pm On Mar 08, 2021
Inflation is about 10% per annum.

@ 20% inflation rate , rent of N120 in 1983 should be about N125,000 in 2021

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 4:29pm On Mar 08, 2021
Biafran4life:
They should allow the naira to float in an economy that is dependently on consumption.And you think it will solve the problem with no feasible production.Pls tell me why our professor of economics soludo and the great Ngozi in ministry of finance didn't trade that line then.Oga for what you suggested to make meaningful impact we have to revamp production.And since that is not achievable in a short time.I believe the government is banking on the refinery since about 50 percent of dollars consumption goes into that sector.As they are working on power to improve which has multiplier effect on the economy.We just cross our hands and hope it works.Don't forget we have economic team made up of sound minds equally making imputs.We all are the cause of Nigeria problem directly or indirectly.Our greediness/selfishness has no part two.

What people don't understand that fixing an exchange rate is easy. Defending it is the hard part. If it was all about the CBN deciding what the exchange rate would be, every country will fix their exchange rate and go to sleep. Those folks you mentioned were able to sustain the rate they fixed by deploying foriegn reserves and earnings and made whatever rate they fixed largely available for all. Not allow a way to create billions out of thin air. Personally, I don't believe using scarce forex to continuously defend a currency is ideal, but you can do that when you have the reserves or inflow. You could read Sanusi's interview with the Financial times on this matter.

Hope you know that most of our imported petrol is based on crude oil swaps and not bought outrightly?
We're not the first to introduce some of these measures. . Lebanon did exactly same thing. Their central bank even created an exchange portal and promised huge interests for those who sent forex in.. We know how that ended

Talking about sound minds in our economic team...lol... Look around you and see the result. If not that IMF insisted, Our 'sound minds' were ready to take a dollar loan that would have been wasted on subsidizing thesame dollar.

No need going back and forth... They should keep giving folks 20% discount on the dollar. Indigenous companies that struggled to make profit are now guaranteed 20% in days if they know who to bribe. More and more people are learning ways around it and some are already making a killing. Soon enough, we'd see where it leads

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 4:41pm On Mar 08, 2021
afroxyz:

Metals. As in CFDs, Futures?

I usually don't trade derivatives.
My bank allows me purchase spot in app (not physical) and given my knowledge of market structure, I find that easier to use.

That said, it's not something I do regularly as I find the market slow moving and more of a hedge than an investment. Picked up some after the covid crash and sold after a while.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 5:40pm On Mar 08, 2021
Lets hope the madness (multiple divergent fx rates) ends very soon
jedisco:

What people don't understand that fixing an exchange rate is easy. Defending it is the hard part. If it was all about the CBN deciding what the exchange rate would be, every country will fix their exchange rate and go to sleep. Those folks you mentioned were able to sustain the rate they fixed by deploying foriegn reserves and earnings and made whatever rate they fixed largely available for all. Not allow a way to create billions out of thin air. Personally, I don't believe using scarce forex to continuously defend a currency is ideal, but you can do that when you have the reserves or inflow. You could read Sanusi's interview with the Financial times on this matter.

Hope you know that most of our imported petrol is based on crude oil swaps and not bought outrightly?
We're not the first to introduce some of these measures. . Lebanon did exactly same thing. Their central bank even created an exchange portal and promised huge interests for those who sent forex in.. We know how that ended

Talking about sound minds in our economic team...lol... Look around you and see the result. If not that IMF insisted, Our sound minds were ready to take a dollar loan that would have been wasted on subsidizing thesame dollar.

No need going back and forth... They should keep giving folks 20% discount on the dollar. Indigenous companies that struggled to make profit are now guaranteed 20% in days if they know who to bribe. More and more people are learning ways around it and some are already making a killing. Soon enough, we'd see where it leads

(1) (2) (3) ... (1790) (1791) (1792) (1793) (1794) (1795) (1796) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: hfc80, idobex(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.