Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,502 members, 7,850,739 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:21 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (190) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4489107 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) ... (2240) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Desanta(m): 10:19pm On Aug 09, 2016
manie:

FBN will deduct the total amount you bid for, and credit you with the interest after 48 hours. I got a 14.4% for 91days during the last bid, 500k was deducted from my account and the interest of about 17k was paid on Friday 5th August 2015.

True talk.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 40manlappy: 5:38am On Aug 10, 2016
Ihavespoken:

While this move may work with some banks, it may not work with others.

Some banks debit the whole funds initially then pay interest within 3 days while some do otherwise.

Looping: manie

True, Stanbic IBTC will put a lien on your account for the face value of your investment.

The approach Chukzyfcb proposed may not work with them because his account may read "insufficient funds" since he would have just the discounted amount in the account.

Then what if his speculated bid rate is lower than the actual? It's a tough one really.

@GANDALF1: I did it through Stanbic IBTC
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by puna: 11:56am On Aug 10, 2016
please has anyone in the forum bought tbills through uba?..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 1:01pm On Aug 10, 2016
Anxiously waiting for the next auction day

I guess am d leader of the pack, of those who missed out the last time.

@feelamong and others what's the market doing....w.r.t the NTB rates
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 3:10pm On Aug 10, 2016
zamirikpo:
Anxiously waiting for the next auction day

I guess am d leader of the pack, of those who missed out the last time.

@feelamong and others what's the market doing....w.r.t the NTB rates

Market is trending southwards so far. I expect next TB auction results to pull backwards from the previous.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 4:10pm On Aug 10, 2016
unite4real:

Market is trending southwards so far. I expect next TB auction results to pull backwards from the previous.

Only a massive OMO mop up by CBN can save the Southwards journey of Tbills for now...

I had to rush and buy at 14% for 91 days at the secondary market for a cousin today....

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by confluence: 4:33pm On Aug 10, 2016
@Boss Feelamong,
i sent you a mail ,please reply ASAP
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 4:36pm On Aug 10, 2016
feelamong:

Only a massive OMO mop up by CBN can save the Southwards journey of Tbills for now...

I had to rush and buy at 14% for 91 days at the secondary market for a cousin today....

Wow. OK. Speculators should be watchful.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 4:51pm On Aug 10, 2016
confluence:
@Boss Feelamong,
i sent you a mail ,please reply ASAP

Replied!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by confluence: 4:59pm On Aug 10, 2016
@feelamong,
thanks Boss

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by valueinnovation: 6:14pm On Aug 10, 2016
I keep saying it,some people sit at the corner of their house saying"Is it real".Can it be real?It cant be real!Continue to say its not real while others continue to make millions.Dont say I didn't warn you o.For a detailed information on the Global Telecoms. Business,call me on 07063349384 and id be obliged to give you all the details you need.You can also join us at Empowerment. Centre,Buffalo House Opebi Ikeja this Saturday by 12 to confirm your doubts.No African time please.Ask for Benson Franklin the organizer and facilitator of the program. Tell him from kunle or you can come to 2 Ladoke Akintola Street,off Aare Avenue.Also ask for Benson.Franklin. Tell him from kunle. Ask all your questions and you shall be filled
confluence:
@feelamong,
thanks Boss
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by manie(m): 7:43pm On Aug 10, 2016
valueinnovation:
I keep saying it,some people sit at the corner of their house saying"Is it real".Can it be real?It cant be real!Continue to say its not real while others continue to make millions.Dont say I didn't warn you o.[b]For a detailed information on the Global Telecoms. Business,call me on 07063349384 [/b]and id be obliged to give you all the details you need.You can also join us at Empowerment. Centre,Buffalo House Opebi Ikeja this Saturday by 12 to confirm your doubts.No African time please.Ask for Benson Franklin the organizer and facilitator of the program. Tell him from kunle or you can come to 2 Ladoke Akintola Street,off Aare Avenue.Also ask for Benson.Franklin. Tell him from kunle. Ask all your questions and you shall be filled

If you can not share the so-called details of the investment here, I have no choice but to scream SCAM ALERT.

We are okay with the little returns we earn from NTB, it is not out of place if you can open a thread for your purported investment scheme.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by manie(m): 7:44pm On Aug 10, 2016
valueinnovation:
I keep saying it,some people sit at the corner of their house saying"Is it real".Can it be real?It cant be real!Continue to say its not real while others continue to make millions.Dont say I didn't warn you o.[b] For a detailed information on the Global Telecoms. Business,call me on 07063349384 [/b]and id be obliged to give you all the details you need.You can also join us at Empowerment. Centre,Buffalo House Opebi Ikeja this Saturday by 12 to confirm your doubts.No African time please.Ask for Benson Franklin the organizer and facilitator of the program. Tell him from kunle or you can come to 2 Ladoke Akintola Street,off Aare Avenue.Also ask for Benson.Franklin. Tell him from kunle. Ask all your questions and you shall be filled

If you can not share the so-called details of the investment here, I have no choice but to scream SCAM ALERT.

We are okay with the little returns we earn from NTB, it is not out of place if you can open a thread for your purported investment scheme.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tormjerry: 9:11pm On Aug 10, 2016
walexlo78:
You can demand for your investment letter from the bank. I get mine for every TB investment. Its as good as a certificate.

Ok.i'll do that.thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 10:15pm On Aug 10, 2016
My chisos, southward kee, ntb should not try itself ooh, hw can

It should better go back to d north ooh, d govt should borrow more jor.....

Am so angry now,when I have spent d supposed interest acrueable from d bumper 18% rate.

Pls @unite4real and @feelamong, pls where do I readup or follow ntb news outside nairametrix
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kristien4(m): 10:27pm On Aug 10, 2016
feelamong:

i just hope the rates will be this high at month end's auction cos dats wen my previous investment matures...what do you think?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kristien4(m): 10:34pm On Aug 10, 2016
@all... please is it possible for me to participate in the next auction, my previous investment matures at 18th august, and the next auction is probably 17th or 18th is it possible i do a rollover or something
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chidieberelex: 7:01am On Aug 11, 2016
Please when is the next bid for T.B. I missed out from the last one all because i went with the bank rate. Its a painful miss. Now I see guys say market is going southward. What happened to northwards?!!!! Gush, they shouldn't try that now. Somebody please talk to me on the best option to take please. I hope 364 remains at 18% in d next bid!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by samkay12(m): 7:56am On Aug 11, 2016
@Chidieberelex
I think people said last week was oversubscribed and some even had their monies returned (or not debitted) even when they went with a rate that was below the successful rates.
In this situation it's expected to not offer rates as high as the previous auction; It's only logical im afraid.
I too hope it stays at 18% for an auction or 2 more. Can live with 17% but certainly not a drastic drop to something silly like 13% pa

@kristien4
Logically it should be possible but this is VERY unlikely. Usually the funds should be in your account 2 days before the auction but some bank officials may let you get away with 1 day. If your previous investment matures on the same day you will have missed the deadline. Even worse if it matures the day after.
Unless your application is processed by someone who doesn't bother to check
Theoretically you are still supposed to be able to get away with it but it's very unlikely. And mentioning the situation to the account officer will get you an immediate refusal. Best bet is to apply and hope for the best but don't be too optimistic.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 11:20am On Aug 11, 2016
Chukzyfcb:

its a move I wan to attempt that's why I came here to ask if its possible. the advantage is that you will make more money. u can throw a bid of 1.1million when you have just 1million in the account as long as you meet the discount amount, that's my point. so instead your money grows at 1m, it grows higher. what I still don't get is where the upfront interest will come from. knowing fully well that my account has been cleared empty. that's a part unite 4real didn't explain

Let me say the much I know on this.
First, it depends on the bank you use. For FBN for instance, if you're placing a bid for 1.2million, your account must be funded with that same amount, because the sum will be debited from your account on the very day you submit your bid, and that could be several days before the auction.

Now, concerning how you can go about the smart move, there are two options I know:
1. On the T.bills form that some banks provide, there's a part where you're asked if you'd like to invest the upfront interest payable on the investment. By checking that box, what you'll get on your investment will be the true yield on the investment, and not just the discount rate. for instance, let's say you have N1 million to invest for 364 days, and you're able to get an 18% discount rate on the investment, you get 180,000 today and 1million in a year's time, to make a total of N1,180,000. but if you choose to invest the upfront interest, the true yield on that 18% discount is gotten by this formula d/(100-d) multiplied by 100. The true yield is 21.95%, which implies that you get the entire 1million wiped off your account now, but after one year, it earns you an extra 219,500 instead of the normal 180,000.

2. If all you have to invest is 1million, you could take an extra 200,000-for me it could be the money for my expenses for the month. you place a bid for 1.2million on the monday preceeding the aunction. If your bid pulls through at say 18% discount rate, after 3 days, your account gets credited with 216,000 from which you can retrieve the 200,000 and after one year, you get 1,200,000 giving you a net returns of 216000 instead of 180000.
I hope I've made sense to someone. God bless us all.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by easyflow: 11:55am On Aug 11, 2016
What rates do we expect for next week
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chetaraph(m): 12:46pm On Aug 11, 2016
pls i need.someone to discuss about an investment made on tbill some years ago.
pls anybody with relevant knowledge should qoute me
i will send my ph no.
thqnks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 2:23pm On Aug 11, 2016
chetaraph:
pls i need.someone to discuss about an investment made on tbill some years ago.
pls anybody with relevant knowledge should qoute me
i will send my ph no.
thqnks

We discuss openly on this thread. It helps others to learn as well. If you can throw your questions open here, you will get answers which will be beneficial to some one at least.

Please feel free to ask questions here.

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chetaraph(m): 3:40pm On Aug 11, 2016
unite4real:

We discuss openly on this thread. It helps others to learn as well. If you can throw your questions open here, you will get answers which will be beneficial to some one at least.

Please feel free to ask questions here.

a close relative of mine contracted a banker who happens to be his childhood friend to help in buying tbill. the banker i believe bought the tbill because he pays in interest annually but every other detail or document of this investment is been withheld. about 3 years on now.

is there a way of verifying the existence of a particular investment without the knowledge of the banker?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by izumaki(m): 3:47pm On Aug 11, 2016
Vitaltech Internet Mmc:
VITALIS:
IT COULD BE YOU!!! 

Twelve years ago, a Harvard student invited 5 people to his room to discuss a business opportunity. Only 2 of the 5 people showed up. 

Today, those 2 people are billionaires: Dustin Moskovitz $9.9 Billion and Eduardo Saverin $6.3 Billion and the guy they met that night? Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook, who has a net worth is $35.7 Billion. 

I wonder what it must be like to be the other 3 people who were invited, but chose not to attend. If you want something, then you've got to DO SOMETHING. 

Will you give yourself that opportunity? 

Join us on our Internet Millionaire Mastermind Club (IMMC) on our Whatsapp group as we show you how to build a fortune on the internet right from the comfort of your home. 

To be a part of this breakthrough meeting, you can send me a message on my Whatsapp number: +2347036392882.

message format: 'Your Name, Pls add me into the IMMC group for tonight's meeting'. 

Whatsapp no.: +234 7036392882
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 3:55pm On Aug 11, 2016
@chetaraph
I have two possible solutions
1. Call the banks head office and ask for the details of the tb ....am sure ur friend knows d account number from which the money was initially withdrawn

2. Ur friend should ask for investments certificates from day one.

If u ask me,he should forget d past,liquidate his money and re-invest it with informed rates ......nairaland investment forum will give him d best rates.

That's my take,but wait for @feelaming,@unite4real ad some others ......for verification.

Me na apprentice

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 11, 2016
@Chetaraph Many times I have chosen for my interest on t.bills to be paid after maturity but i end up getting them upfront. I ask the bank manager and he said, whether you choose upfront payment or on maturity, t.bills is program to pay upfront only.
Why am I saying this?
According to your statement, you said the banker pays the interest annually. It is possible that he invested the fund in another business which explains why he pays the interest annually.
My opinion though.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 5:02pm On Aug 11, 2016
chetaraph:

a close relative of mine contracted a banker who happens to be his childhood friend to help in buying tbill. the banker i believe bought the tbill because he pays in interest annually but every other detail or document of this investment is been withheld. about 3 years on now.

is there a way of verifying the existence of a particular investment without the knowledge of the banker?

If the money for the purchase of the TB was debited by the Bank directly from your friend's account then the simple thing to do is to request for him to request for his bank statement for the period and request that the rollover be stopped forthwith. He can take it over by himself.

If the money was paid to his childhood friend's account from which it was done, then he is at the mercy of his friend. Advice is for him to request a liquidation straight away. He should be in control of his money.

Since the interest comes annually from his friend, I suspect the money was invested in a fund management or BOND.

If you tell us how much was invested, date of investment and your annual interests year by year, we would get an insight of what transpired.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chetaraph(m): 5:42pm On Aug 11, 2016
thanks guys. i will get in touch with him.

what was d last rate for 365 ? he got an alert from the banker last month that indicated 10% interest on his investment.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chetaraph(m): 5:45pm On Aug 11, 2016
unite4real:

If the money for the purchase of the TB was debited by the Bank directly from your friend's account then the simple thing to do is to request for him to request for his bank statement for the period and request that the rollover be stopped forthwith. He can take it over by himself.

If the money was paid to his childhood friend's account from which it was done, then he is at the mercy of his friend. Advice is for him to request a liquidation straight away. He should be in control of his money.

Since the interest comes annually from his friend, I suspect the money was invested in a fund management or BOND.

If you tell us how much was invested, date of investment and your annual interests year by year, we would get an insight of what transpired.

annual interest rate has always been in the range of 10% on investment.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Chidieberelex: 10:08pm On Aug 11, 2016
What rates are we expecting on the next bid. Feelamong what's up. The standard chartered guy, please its time again
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Kasjudy(m): 6:45am On Aug 12, 2016
G.morning fellow nairalanders. Please can some one clear me more on what thus treasury bills is all about. Thanks.ote author=feelamong post=10264445]www.nairaland.com/attachments/1354359_NTB_jpg9d4cae535bd0bde1399af69caf610bc5

Treasury Bills! Why It Is The Best Investment For Now:

A lot of people have been asking for some time what Tbills are all about and where they could buy the bills from,

This thread is dedicated for all issues related to Treasury Bills, their going rates, when Auctions are due and why they should be bought,

I am not a Finance person, am just a trader who was lucky to work in one financial insitution years back so I might not be the best person to answer questions on this as they come, But am sure we have a lot of financial gurus with CFAs in this Forum and all our questions would be answered, [/quote]

(1) (2) (3) ... (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) ... (2240) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.