Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,682 members, 7,955,530 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:29 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1934) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4644392 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1931) (1932) (1933) (1934) (1935) (1936) (1937) ... (2264) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by exclusiveoloori: 10:03pm On Jun 18, 2021
otomatic:

Did you bid with your own rate rather than the bank rate?

Bank rate
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 1:24am On Jun 19, 2021
Hmmmm, read so many things about helping ladies here and erection versus broke, I use myself as a yard stick and will always state that no two persons are the same, what works for dangote might be your stumbling block.
For helping people, male or female, don't help because you want a thank you, as a matter of fact, help those that can't help you other than that, bargain for your expectations and that can't be termed help. Bid and pay, I dont help people I Bleep and if I help then I wouldn't Bleep, vice versa. For every help I know its a seed provided the help is going from area of higher concentration to lower concentration.
For erection and poverty, I noticed I was more randy when I was poor and restrain this days, reason being I used to do it free of charge then as they knew I had nothing but they expect financial blessings now and I think twice before engaging. Erection has nothing to do with money except its ashi you patronize, there are good girls that will spend on you if you have prospects, tolerate your excesses if you have potentials, are willing to build it with you provided you are promising but in all these, dont loose guide, learn the theory of shadows and keep them within reach, when your shadow stops following you when you turn back then know its never your shadow, move on before the shadow remove you. The future is always better if you plan your steps ahead.
A woman is a woman if only you know how to be a man.

Remember what works for A might never work for B
Man know thyself and choose thy path and stop copying others.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Infoguid: 2:27am On Jun 19, 2021
Treasury bills are now horrible investment, I'll advise you guys to invest in mutual funds and watch you interest drop daily.

If you are looking for a perfect mutual funds, SFS capital is better, interest is presently at 9.2% per annum and likely to go higher.

You can sign up here register completely online

After signing up
Initiate deposit is N 5000
You can use *884# to fund your account, withdraw, and check your investment account.

Visit my page to see SFS capital review
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:27am On Jun 19, 2021
OgogoroFreak:
All these were back then. Years ago. I was just a young graduate from Ajegunle searching for job and getting steady regret mails.

Also, I actually dated those ladies strictly for their money not love. I was broke, no job and there was "no work of my hand" anywhere to believe in. You don't expect me to date a broke girl like myself. Poverty + poverty = famished.

The set of guys I met back then open my eyes to "dirty" hustle but I was lucky to switch to "clean" hustle - thanks to nairaland. Today, I am 100% clean. I am doing very well in business and investment.

Most of the guys I met then, some are rotting in jail, some died of gunshot and some got death sentence for transporting hard drugs.

The olosho girl is someone I will always live to remember. She's the ladder that brought me to where I am today. She has benefited HEAVILY from my success too (her investment). We have since settled our differences. She will always have my respect. I wish I could marry her.

I love that, poverty +poverty= famished.

You are a don. Dons collect management fees from those girls, they are their financial consultant, marketing manager, brand strategist, accountant, PR manager and finally their boyfriends.

Thank God you made good use of the management fees, allowances and grants you got from her.

I thought as much, the way you have been defending those gals.

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:37am On Jun 19, 2021
Life style inflation

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by infinitemiles: 6:35am On Jun 19, 2021
ibechris:
Tbill rate from Union Bank.

As at Wednesdays 16/06/2021
1. 106 days 3.75
2. 344 days- 8.50
3. 358. days- 8.60

At least this will help those who are banking with Union bank.

What's the rate for Zenith Bank?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Alaska90(m): 10:16am On Jun 19, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Compared to another investor who invested the N10 million in a fixed income fund at an annual return of 14% and also reinvested his dividend, he will have N71 million in 15 years.

Not easy to reinvest or compound your bond coupons, reason why it is better to use part of the coupons to buy fixed income funds for compounding

Please could you suggest any good fixed income funds like the one in your example above for me?

I am interested .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:39am On Jun 19, 2021
Alaska90:

Please could you suggest any good fixed income funds like the one in your example above for me?

I am interested .

All fund managers have fixed Income funds. I use United Capital for my fixed income.

With fixed income fund, you can ask the fund manager to reinvest your dividends in order to compound the fund, this is not possible with bonds.

So smart bond investors diversify about 50% of the coupons from their bond Investments into real estates, small businesses, fixed income funds and the stockmarket
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:41am On Jun 19, 2021
emmanuelewumi:
Life style inflation

Nothing wrong with lifestyle inflation as long as one is maintaining a consistent savings rate. Why make more money and save it all? Is that life? We won’t take our savings and investments with us when we go to the other side you know.

Save for the future but also enjoy the present. Personally, I think it is motivation to work harder and make more money - to save/invest more and have more cash for spending today to improve one’s present quality of life wink

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:46am On Jun 19, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Compared to another investor who invested the N10 million in a fixed income fund at an annual return of 14% and also reinvested his dividend, he will have N71 million in 15 years.

Not easy to reinvest or compound your bond coupons, reason why it is better to use part of the coupons to buy fixed income funds for compounding

No fixed income fund is paying 14% right now

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:49am On Jun 19, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

Nothing wrong with lifestyle inflation as long as one is maintaining a consistent savings rate. Why make more money and save it all? Is that life? We won’t take our savings and investments with us when we go to the other side you know.

Save for the future but also enjoy the present. Personally, I think it is motivation to work harder and make more money - to save/invest more and have more cash for spending today to improve one’s present quality of life wink

Did you read this part of the article

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 11:59am On Jun 19, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

You said the truth.

A business man I know very well with shops in several main markets died January this year. The money in all his bank accounts amounts to about 500M but dude lived far, far below his means. Drives a Toyota camery 2009 model. Doesn't even wear good clothes and shoes though business was booming and he keeps opening branches here and there.

His wife is currently spending the money like there is no tomorrow. She's now driving a recent range rover. Makes me wonder why we deprive ourselves of certain enjoyment in the name of growing the money only to die and leave everything behind for someone else.

For me, growing the money is just as important as enjoying my life. So, I try to balance both.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jun 19, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Did you read this part of the article

No I didn’t because I know it’s never in the best interest of investment houses for us to spend more. They prefer that we save and invest all our money so they can make more money in fees and then be the ones living large grin grin

12 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:05pm On Jun 19, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

No fixed income fund is paying 14% right now

We use average return for the past 5 years to 10 years.

Average return for United Capital fixed income fund in 2years was 12.15%, average return in 3 years was 11.9%, average return in 4 years was 16%, average return in 5 years was 16%, average return in 6ears was 16%, average return in 7 years was 15.43%, average return in 8 years was 14.75%.

The fund made the highest return of 28.4% in 2017, which was the highest annual return in 8 years
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:08pm On Jun 19, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

No I didn’t because I know it’s never in the best interest of investment houses for us to spend more. They prefer that we save and invest all our money so they can make more money in fees and then be the ones living large grin grin

Fallacy of hasty generalization
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jun 19, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Fallacy of hasty generalization

That was just on a lighter note but kinda true sha grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:10pm On Jun 19, 2021
OgogoroFreak:
You said the truth.

A business man I know very well with shops in several main markets died January this year. The money in all his bank accounts amounts to about 500M but dude lived far, far below his means. Drives a Toyota camery 2009 model. Doesn't even wear good clothes and shoes though business was booming and he keeps opening branches here and there.

His wife is currently spending the money like there is no tomorrow. She's now driving a recent range rover. Makes me wonder why we deprive ourselves of certain enjoyment in the name of growing the money only to die and leave everything behind for someone else.

For me, growing the money is just as important as enjoying my life. So, I try to balance both.

I have a budget and fund for reasonable flenjor.

Too bad the man didn't have a Trust arrangement for his funds and Investments,
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jun 19, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

We use average return for the past 5 years to 10 years.

Average return for United Capital fixed income fund in 2years was 12.15%, average return in 3 years was 11.9%, average return in 4 years was 16%, average return in 5 years was 16%, average return in 6ears was 16%, average return in 7 years was 15.43%, average return in 8 years was 14.75%.

The fund made the highest return of 28.4% in 2017, which was the highest annual return in 8 years

Does United Capital not give you units when you invest in their fixed income fund? Units that go up and down like shares. As opposed to some fixed income funds that guarantee your principal and then pay returns.

Trust me, what you see is not what you get with those fixed income funds that have units.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 12:23pm On Jun 19, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

That is why we are where we are today as a country, a lot of poor and jobless men who didn't control their erection or didn't use sense with their erection.

They will have 3 or more wives, 10 and more children, they can't feed nor educate. Such children will become a liability to the society and contribute to our population explosion.

When they are doing that and you advised them, they will say that you are envious of them and that it is God that gives children. When they now see how you are living a quality life with your well planned family, they become jealous of you.

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:28pm On Jun 19, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

Does United Capital not give you units when you invest in their fixed income fund? Units that go up and down like shares. As opposed to some fixed income funds that guarantee your principal and then pay returns.

Trust me, what you see is not what you get with those fixed income funds that have units.

Vantage Guaranteed Income Fund and Stanbic Guaranteed Income Fund are the two guaranteed income funds I know of, do you know of any other ones.

United Capital gives units, the initial price of the unit was N1.00 when the fund was introduced about 10 years ago, it is now about N1.95k per unit.

You are also paid dividends every year, the unit price will be adjusted after dividend payments. Annual returns are calculated for the year based on the percentage increase in unit price at the beginning of the year and at the end of the year, giving allowance for the dividend.

If the price was N1.00 on 1st January, declared dividend of 5k and closed for the year at N1.15k. The fund would have given a return of 20% for the year.

You are expected to leave your fixed income fund Investment for 3 months, the price of the funds fluctuates but if you hold for a minimum of 3 months you would have enjoyed capital appreciation.

Fixed Income funds reinvest their coupons, they get coupons every month, some almost every week.

United Capital has over N150 billion invested in different tranches of sovereign, states and corporate bonds and the coupons are reinvested, except when they want to pay dividends to investors who are interested in dividends
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:33pm On Jun 19, 2021
NL1960:

When they are doing that and you advised them, they will say that you are envious of them and that it is God that gives children. When they now see how you are living a quality life with your well planned family, they become jealous of you.

Many years ago, as a bachelor my vendor sent his 17 years old daughter to my apartment to come and assist with cooking, washing and body no wood.

The man had 9 children, he said it was wrong for a bachelor to live alone in a 3 bedroom apartment.

He came visiting with the daughter and left her with me, imagine.

Some irresponsible men would have jumped at that offer.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jun 19, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Vantage Guaranteed Income Fund and Stanbic Guaranteed Income Fund are the two guaranteed income funds I know of, do you know of any other ones.

United Capital gives units, the initial price of the unit was N1.00 when the fund was introduced about 10 years ago, it is now about N1.95k per unit.

You are also paid dividends every year, the unit price will be adjusted after dividend payments. Annual returns are calculated for the year based on the percentage increase in unit price at the beginning of the year and at the end of the year, giving allowance for the dividend.

If the price was N1.00 on 1st January, declared dividend of 5k and closed for the year at N1.15k. The fund would have given a return of 20% for the year.

You are expected to leave your fixed income fund Investment for 3 months, the price of the funds fluctuates but if you hold for a minimum of 3 months you would have enjoyed capital appreciation.

Fixed Income funds reinvest their coupons, they get coupons every month, some almost every week.

United Capital has over N150 billion invested in different tranches of sovereign, states and corporate bonds and the coupons are reinvested, except when they want to pay dividends to investors who are interested in dividends

SFS also has one. They are currently paying around 9%.

The thing about the ones that issue units is that the returns are based on valuation. Not what is paid to the investors as the guaranteed income funds have. Do the maths on what you receive in dividends and you will see that it is no where near the returns they report.

The returns stated in their fact sheet is what you get after they carry out the valuation of their assets and divide by number of shares. Currently, fixed income valuations are high because of low interest rates. As soon as interest rates rise, the yields in those funds will drop big time.

In a low interest environment, It is not wise to invest long term in those bond funds that issue units.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:40pm On Jun 19, 2021
Lazyyouth4u:

The thing about the ones that issue units is that the returns are based on valuation. Not what is paid to the investors as the guaranteed income funds have. Do the maths on what you receive in dividends and you will see that it is no where near the returns they report.

The returns stated in their fact sheet is what you get after they carry out the valuation of their assets and divide by number of shares. Currently fixed income valuations are high because of low interest rates. As soon as interest rates rise, the yields in those funds will drop big time.

It is not wise to invest in those bond funds in a low interest environment.

They will pay you based on the net asset, when you sell.

I sold 70% of my Coral income Fund, a fixed income fund managed by FSDH Asset Management.

I bought at N2900 and sold at N3335., this happened within 18 months and I also got dividends within the period
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jun 19, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

I sold 70% of my Coral income Fund, a fixed income fund managed by FSDH Asset Management.

I bought at N2900 and sold at N3335., this happened within 18 months and I also got dividends within the period

That is because you are selling when interest rates are still low. Wait until interest rates rise and the value of the bonds in their funds drop. You will be selling at a loss.

When interest rates are low and expected to rise as we are seeing now, it is very foolish to keep long term money in those funds that issue units.

It is like buying and holding shares long term in a company that you know the share price will definitely fall in the near future.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:47pm On Jun 19, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

What is the current guaranteed return for SFS?

Guaranteed Income Fund Managers will get between 30% to 50% of the excess return over the guaranteed return

Fixed Income Funds have some percentage of their funds that can be converted to cash or money market funds, during the time of low interest rates that some bonds appreciated by over 50%, some fund managers converted some of their funds to money market Investment.

That is why it is good to use average returns of a fund over a period of time, interest rates won't be low or high forever.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:53pm On Jun 19, 2021
In a period of low interest rates, the guaranteed income return will also reduce.

That is why it is good to be diversified, move your investment from one fund to the other and have a basic understanding of the economy

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 1:06pm On Jun 19, 2021
emmanuelewumi:
In a period of low interest rates, the guaranteed income return will also reduce.

That is why it is good to be diversified, move your investment from one fund to the other and have a basic understanding of the economy

Exactly! you said it all. Diversify and portfolio balancing and rebalancing is the antidot to losses that will reduce values of your investments.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SaintUlot: 1:41pm On Jun 19, 2021
OgogoroFreak:
You said the truth.

Some people are just born to be modest, all those wordly things doesn't move them one bit. It is not possible to target spending all your money before you die, so you have no choice, you have to leave some behind for some other people to enjoy.

The most important thing is for those people that will inherit the money to have financial education as well, so that the wealth can continue to multiply and not crumble after your demise.

9 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by stevemims(m): 1:48pm On Jun 19, 2021
You are right! I did one with FBNQuest last year. The FIF was issued in units, the capital appreciation was quite okay for 3-4 months before it started dropping. Although to prevent my capital, I pulled out my capital after 6 months and still had some change on It (it wasn't a large amount, was just testing waters).

NB: Just as Pa Emma had stated, VGIF and that of Stanbic are straightforward, and I agree with you that they are not in units and capital is guaranteed.
Lazyyouth4u:

The thing about the ones that issue unique is that the returns are based on valuation. Not what is paid to the investors as the guaranteed income funds have. Do the maths on what you receive in dividends and you will see that it nowhereere near the returns they report.

The returns stated in their fact sheet is what you get after they carry out the valuation of their assets and divide a by several shares. Currently, fixed income valuations are high because of low-interestest rates. As soon as interest rates rise, the yields in those funds will drop big time.

Inlow-interestest environment, It is not wise to invest a long term in those bond funds that issue units.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by stevemims(m): 1:53pm On Jun 19, 2021
Oga, I have CIF as well, it was good until the beginning of May. Of course, I was reinvesting my interests.

Could you please clarify what you mean by dividends in this context, are the interests also the same as dividends for CIF? I would like to know this as I have instructed them to move the funds to Money Market Fund.
emmanuelewumi:

They will pay you based on the net asset when you sell.

I sold 70% of my Coral income Fund, a fixed-income fund managed by FSDH Asset Management.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ibechris(m): 1:54pm On Jun 19, 2021
Ok
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jun 19, 2021
SaintUlot:

Some people are just born to be modest, all those wordly things doesn't move them one bit. It is not possible to target spending all your money before you die, so you have no choice, you have to leave some behind for some other people to enjoy.

The most important thing is for those people that will inherit the money to have financial education as well, so that the wealth can continue to multiply and not crumble after your demise.

After saving for emergencies, retirement and children’s school fees, one should spend as much as possible on oneself jare. Especially when young. Have you seen some retired babas that have money and don’t know what to do with all the money at their old age?

I have one Baba Faaji friend that retired from an oil company and now has a lot of money because he lived a very conservative life while he was still working. The man just wants to start rocking life now at over 60. He follows young guys to night clubs to chase young girls. I don’t want to be like that grin

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1931) (1932) (1933) (1934) (1935) (1936) (1937) ... (2264) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.