Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,107 members, 7,818,307 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:20 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (2094) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4442324 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2091) (2092) (2093) (2094) (2095) (2096) (2097) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Oshokhai69: 10:03pm On Sep 12, 2022
comatekeke:

Risk of default.
The company goes out of business
Both are unlikely but still possible.

Who is this one? Do you know CPs are short term instruments? You see MTN, Dangote or BUA defaulting in less than a year? I feel like giving you 20 strokes of the cane angry angry

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Oshokhai69: 10:17pm On Sep 12, 2022
Lots of misinformation on this thread angry

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Munamoqel: 11:07pm On Sep 12, 2022
Oshokhai69:
Lots of misinformation on this thread angry
BBN don Finish ? or no BBN Voting rackets this time around No demands for Bus load of fellow Lazyyouths abi ? U are here to troll useless girl .... undecidedfrom Lazy youth to tranq to Osho .=irresponsible Lazy youth !

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 9:53am On Sep 13, 2022
zamirikpo:
Hello.....I know this must have been discussed here by....but with over 2000pages ,it'll be difficult to trace.

Well my concern is with this TB investment and the capacity of this government or the next to payback. I know govt can always print money but at wot point is it impossible to continue to print.

Nigerias debt profile is brutal......loan repayment is over 80% of our revenue.

I'm just concerned........uncertainty is too much

The CBN shouldn't have issues repaying debt denominated in naira.
TBs and Bonds are still about the safest domestic investment vehicles. If there was concern about the TBs defaulting, then you'd have bigger things to worry about

As of July, our debt to revenue ration was 118%. i.e, the only way of meeting up is by borrowing more (i.e a ponzi) or printing more money. The foreign denomi debt is CBNs headache as they can't print forex.

The real concern (which has been raised here before) is about the actual return on investment. Since the current turn of inflation + devaluation which has been ongoing since 2014, I have struggled to see any well established local investment vehicle that has given positive ROI when seen in real terms.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Munamoqel: 10:48am On Sep 13, 2022
Oshokhai69:

Who is this one? Do you know CPs are short term instruments? You see MTN, Dangote or BUA defaulting in less than a year? I feel like giving you 20 strokes of the cane angry angry
BBNaija 2022 Live Updates Thread by Oshokhai69: 12:17am On Sep 08
safarigirl:

Was I not put on the defensive then? Which is the point of what you quoted

What was the offensive I set up against Emmanuel? They were calling Emmanuel piano teeth and horse mouth on Twitter, please, did I bring anything of such here?

Abi, wetin be the offensive again?

Ogbeni go and sleep. You gas wake up early to go resume work for voting center. Run along Kia

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by adetunrayo(f): 1:58pm On Sep 13, 2022
Please refer to threads on bonds

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 2:27pm On Sep 13, 2022
Remember CMMF

As your interim dividends continue to hit your bank account, enjoy yourself, but please don't forget to drop at least 5,000
into the coral money market fund managed by FSDH to gain another interest of 11.04% on your investment
By the end of September and December respectively, you will have more money for your enjoyment.

Get in touch with me to get started.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Hamachi(f): 3:04pm On Sep 13, 2022
adetunrayo:
Please refer to threads on bonds
FG savings bond or normal bond
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 9:26pm On Sep 13, 2022
Olaide1295:

When faced with two difficult options of either defaulting on its debt or printing more money to pay back (which causes inflation), the government will definitely chose the latter.
The former will cause immediate social unrest so it is not even better. CBN has no choice but to continue printing Naira for the foreseeable future. In other words, naira will continue depreciating unless the government finds a solution to the revenue and spending problems.

By the way, CBN has also printed about 20 trillion for the government which is not even recorded yet in our debt. Once it is added, the debt figures will balloon.

Is it only CBN that prints money? Banks print money all the time when they lend money. What of the stock market? When a stock goes up, say 10%, everyone who owns that stuck commands new money and it doesn't matter that the individuals that caused the rise exchanged less than 1% of the outstanding stocks, and money can be destroyed during bears.

By the way, Nigeria is still better than some countries sha check below. That is Argentina, inflation has finished them.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aieromon(m): 10:25pm On Sep 13, 2022
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 3:44am On Sep 14, 2022
ositadima1:

Is it only CBN that prints money? Banks print money all the time when they lend money. What of the stock market? When a stock goes up, say 10%, everyone who owns that stuck commands new money and it doesn't matter that the individuals that caused the rise exchanged less than 1% of the outstanding stocks, and money can be destroyed during bears.

By the way, Nigeria is still better than some countries sha check below. That is Argentina, inflation has finished them.
That's almost 5000% loss in the value of their currency
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Oshokhai69: 8:47am On Sep 14, 2022
ositadima1:

Guy shut up there and stop misyearning and misinforming people..who told you that banks print money? That’s a very foolish talk. Only the central bank can print money!!!

I wish I could locate you and give you 60 strokes of the cane on that your yellow bald head angry angry

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ibechris(m): 11:45am On Sep 14, 2022
ositadima1:

This kind economics must be from another planet.
With all due respect to your personality,I think this is what I call economic terrorism.

This is not doable any where in the world. Banks don't print money.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by keeper303: 1:58pm On Sep 14, 2022
ibechris:

With all due respect to your personality,I think this is what I call economic terrorism.

Banks create credit which is similar to printing money. For your information, Central Bank don't have a printing press that prints money. What central bank does is to instruct the Security Printing and Minting Company to print a specified amount of money to replace defaced or badly damaged currency notes.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ibechris(m): 2:07pm On Sep 14, 2022
keeper303:

Banks create credit which is similar to printing money. For your information, Central Bank don't have a printing press that prints money. What central bank does is to instruct the Security Printing and Minting Company to print a specified amount of money to replace defaced or badly damaged currency notes.

Mr. Man stop saying this.

Commercial banks don't print money. They create money through loans,deposits and others. CBN print money through Nigerian minting and printing company of Nigeria. They determine how much to be printed to replace damage cash in the vaults or for other purpose to such as what happened during Covid19. But in reality,commercial banks do not print money.

Do not join the man above to do follow,follow economics.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 3:09pm On Sep 14, 2022
Oshokhai69:

Guy shut up there and stop misyearning and misinforming people..who told you that banks print money? That’s a very foolish talk. Only the central bank can print money!!!

I wish I could locate you and give you 60 strokes of the cane on that your yellow bald head angry angry

The antics of a pompous fellow, the one who thinks he knows it all.

Let me give you a piece of advice, whenever you come across a new or strange idea excessive restraint, take some time and think it through, do some reasearch. Thats how we learn and grow!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 3:47pm On Sep 14, 2022
ibechris:

How Bank Lending Really Creates Money, And Why The Magic Money Tree Is Not Cost Free

How is money created? Some is created by the state, but usually in a financial emergency. For instance, the crash gave rise to quantitative easing – money pumped directly into the economy by the government. The vast majority of money (97%) comes into being when a commercial bank extends a loan. Meanwhile, 27% of bank lending goes to other financial corporations; 50% to mortgages (mainly on existing residential property); 8% to high-cost credit (including overdrafts and credit cards); and just 15% to non-financial corporates, that is, the productive economy.

Money is created on faith alone, whether that is faith in ever-increasing housing prices or any other given investment. This does not mean that creation is risk-free: any government could create too much and spawn hyper-inflation. Any commercial bank could create too much and generate over-indebtedness in the private economy. But it does mean that money has no innate value, it is simply a marker of trust between a lender and a borrower. So it is the ultimate democratic resource.

Money is created when banks lend. The rules of double entry accounting dictate that when banks create a new loan asset, they must also create an equal and opposite liability, in the form of a new demand deposit. This demand deposit, like all other customer deposits, is included in central banks’ measures of broad money. In this sense, therefore, when banks lend they create money.

Nor does the creation of money by commercial banks through lending require any faith other than in the borrower’s ability to repay the loan with interest when it is due.

Commercial banks’ ability to create money is constrained by capital. When a bank creates a new loan, with an associated new deposit, the bank’s balance sheet size increases, and the proportion of the balance sheet that is made up of equity (shareholders’ funds, as opposed to customer deposits, which are debt, not equity) decreases. If the bank lends so much that its equity slice approaches zero – as happened in some banks prior to the financial crisis – even a very small fall in asset prices is enough to render it insolvent. Regulatory capital requirements are intended to ensure that banks never reach such a fragile position.

It is of course possible for banks to lend more than the population can realistically afford.

In contrast, central banks’ ability to create money is constrained by the willingness of their government to back them, and the ability of that government to tax the population. In practice, most central bank money these days is asset-backed, since central banks create new money when they buy assets in open market operations or QE, and when they lend to banks. However, in theory a central bank could literally “spirit money from thin air” without asset purchases or lending to banks.

The ability of the government to tax the population depends on the credibility of the government and the productive capacity of the economy. Hyperinflation can occur when the supply side of the economy collapses, rendering the population unable and/or unwilling to pay taxes. It can also occur when people distrust a government and its central bank so much that they refuse to use the currency that the central bank creates. Distrust can come about because people think the government is corrupt and/or irresponsible, as in Zimbabwe, or because they think that the government is going to fall and the money it creates will become worthless (this is why hyperinflation is common in countries that have lost a war). But nowhere in the genesis of hyperinflation does central bank insolvency feature.

Certainly not commercial banks. People trust the money created by commercial banks firstly because it is exchangeable one-for-one with central bank created money, and secondly because governments guarantee its value up to a limit . Deposit insurance effectively turns the money created by commercial banks into government money.

But even the money created by central banks requires a government guarantee. The dollar is backed by the “full faith and credit of the U.S. government.” And central banks are mandated by governments to maintain the value of the money they create. That’s what their inflation target means.

So, faith in money is, in reality, faith in the government that guarantees it. That in turn requires faith in the future productive capacity of the economy. As the productive capacity of any economy ultimately comes from the work of people, we could therefore say that faith in money is faith in people, both those now on the earth and those who will inhabit it in future.

Culled from Forbes.com

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 3:49pm On Sep 14, 2022
I have read/ heard this concept before and suspected that it was what you meant.
However, you used the catch phrase "Print Money" whereas the correct term should probably have been "Create Money".

ositadima1:

How Bank Lending Really Creates Money, And Why The Magic Money Tree Is Not Cost Free

How is money created? Some is created by the state, but usually in a financial emergency. For instance, the crash gave rise to quantitative easing – money pumped directly into the economy by the government. The vast majority of money (97%) comes into being when a commercial bank extends a loan. Meanwhile, 27% of bank lending goes to other financial corporations; 50% to mortgages (mainly on existing residential property); 8% to high-cost credit (including overdrafts and credit cards); and just 15% to non-financial corporates, that is, the productive economy.

Money is created on faith alone, whether that is faith in ever-increasing housing prices or any other given investment. This does not mean that creation is risk-free: any government could create too much and spawn hyper-inflation. Any commercial bank could create too much and generate over-indebtedness in the private economy. But it does mean that money has no innate value, it is simply a marker of trust between a lender and a borrower. So it is the ultimate democratic resource.

Money is created when banks lend. The rules of double entry accounting dictate that when banks create a new loan asset, they must also create an equal and opposite liability, in the form of a new demand deposit. This demand deposit, like all other customer deposits, is included in central banks’ measures of broad money. In this sense, therefore, when banks lend they create money.

Nor does the creation of money by commercial banks through lending require any faith other than in the borrower’s ability to repay the loan with interest when it is due.

Commercial banks’ ability to create money is constrained by capital. When a bank creates a new loan, with an associated new deposit, the bank’s balance sheet size increases, and the proportion of the balance sheet that is made up of equity (shareholders’ funds, as opposed to customer deposits, which are debt, not equity) decreases. If the bank lends so much that its equity slice approaches zero – as happened in some banks prior to the financial crisis – even a very small fall in asset prices is enough to render it insolvent. Regulatory capital requirements are intended to ensure that banks never reach such a fragile position.

It is of course possible for banks to lend more than the population can realistically afford.

In contrast, central banks’ ability to create money is constrained by the willingness of their government to back them, and the ability of that government to tax the population. In practice, most central bank money these days is asset-backed, since central banks create new money when they buy assets in open market operations or QE, and when they lend to banks. However, in theory a central bank could literally “spirit money from thin air” without asset purchases or lending to banks.

The ability of the government to tax the population depends on the credibility of the government and the productive capacity of the economy. Hyperinflation can occur when the supply side of the economy collapses, rendering the population unable and/or unwilling to pay taxes. It can also occur when people distrust a government and its central bank so much that they refuse to use the currency that the central bank creates. Distrust can come about because people think the government is corrupt and/or irresponsible, as in Zimbabwe, or because they think that the government is going to fall and the money it creates will become worthless (this is why hyperinflation is common in countries that have lost a war). But nowhere in the genesis of hyperinflation does central bank insolvency feature.

Certainly not commercial banks. People trust the money created by commercial banks firstly because it is exchangeable one-for-one with central bank created money, and secondly because governments guarantee its value up to a limit . Deposit insurance effectively turns the money created by commercial banks into government money.

But even the money created by central banks requires a government guarantee. The dollar is backed by the “full faith and credit of the U.S. government.” And central banks are mandated by governments to maintain the value of the money they create. That’s what their inflation target means.

So, faith in money is, in reality, faith in the government that guarantees it. That in turn requires faith in the future productive capacity of the economy. As the productive capacity of any economy ultimately comes from the work of people, we could therefore say that faith in money is faith in people, both those now on the earth and those who will inhabit it in future.

Culled from Forbes.com

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 4:00pm On Sep 14, 2022
ojesymsym:
I have read/ heard this concept before and suspected that it was what you meant.
However, you used the catch phrase "Print Money" whereas the correct term should probably have been "Create Money".

I made very clear what i meant when i mentioned stocks do something similar. I didn't use d word "print money" in its literal sense. I am not stupid or am I? grin

Besides, it is actually same, d physical money is indistinguishable from the ones "created" by d banks.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by XiaoLi: 4:15pm On Sep 14, 2022
Wow Im happy she have waken up from her slumber to start to hustle, atleast she will not need to travel all the way to delta state for now because of mere chicken grin grin grin grin grin
Munamoqel:
BBN don Finish ? or no BBN Voting rackets this time around No demands for Bus load of fellow Lazyyouths abi ? U are here to troll useless girl .... undecidedfrom Lazy youth to tranq to Osho .=irresponsible Lazy youth !

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Oshokhai69: 5:09pm On Sep 14, 2022
ositadima1:

The antics of a pompous fellow, the one who thinks he knows it all.

Let me give you a piece of advice, whenever you come across a new or strange idea excessive restraint, take some time and think it through, do some reasearch. Thats how we learn and grow!

Guy stop talking rubbish and learn to grow. Only the Central Bank can print money through a minting subsidiary. This is the practice globally. No commercial bank has the permission to print money. Stop talking out of your smelly asshole and learn from people wey sabi.

I really feel like lashing you 600 strokes of the cane on that your bald head right now angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Oshokhai69: 5:19pm On Sep 14, 2022
Only an idiot will equate circulation of existing money to printing money.

When banks make loans, they are in essence using deposits that were kept there with existing money by depositors.

When central banks print money, they are adding money to existing money mainly to pay down local currency debt. And this is typically the last resort as it always leads to hyperinflation.

Any mumu that equates them both deserves at least 24 strokes of the cane on their head. And I mean it! angry
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 5:26pm On Sep 14, 2022
Oshokhai69:

Guy stop talking rubbish and learn to grow. Only the Central Bank can print money through a minting subsidiary. This is the practice globally. No commercial bank has the permission to print money. Stop talking out of your smelly asshole and learn from people wey sabi.

I really feel like lashing you 600 strokes of the cane on that your bald head right now angry angry

Comercial Banks "print money" by issuing loans. End of story.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Oshokhai69: 5:33pm On Sep 14, 2022
ositadima1:

So when they give out loans, you think the money comes from heaven? Guy I just wish say I dey nearby to lash this your coconut head. You are too dull angry angry
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 5:33pm On Sep 14, 2022
Oshokhai69:
Only an idiot will equate circulation of existing money to printing money.

When banks make loans, they are in essence using deposits that were kept there with existing money by depositors.

When central banks print money, they are adding money to existing money mainly to pay down local currency debt. And this is typically the last resort as it always leads to hyperinflation.

Any mumu that equates them both deserves at least 24 strokes of the cane on their head. And I mean it! angry

Most of the money in our economy is created by banks, in the form of bank deposits – the numbers that appear in your account. Banks create new money whenever they make loans. 97% of the money in the economy today exists as bank deposits, whilst just 3% is physical cash.

All the available physical Naira can not go round if everyone decides to hold their moneys in cash. Why?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Oshokhai69: 5:35pm On Sep 14, 2022
ositadima1:

Most of the money in our economy is created by banks, in the form of bank deposits – the numbers that appear in your account. Banks create new money whenever they make loans. 97% of the money in the economy today exists as bank deposits, whilst just 3% is physical cash.

All the available physical Naira can not go round if everyone decides to hold their moneys in cash. Why?

Oboi you are too dull. No need for me to respond to you again.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 5:36pm On Sep 14, 2022
Oshokhai69:

Oboi you are too dull. No need for me to respond to you again.

Sure, you don't have an answer to that.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ibechris(m): 5:38pm On Sep 14, 2022
ositadima1:

One of them creates money by means of loan and deposits while the other prints money by order of the CBN.

Know this and know the difference.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 5:41pm On Sep 14, 2022
ibechris:

One of them creates money by means of loan and deposits while the other prints money by order of the CBN.

I know this nah, I have already cleared d confusion before. The meat of d matter is that money was created in both cases .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 5:46pm On Sep 14, 2022
ibechris:

My friend, with the coming of digital naira the difference is getting slimmer. Money is just a number in ur account.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Frangel: 7:30pm On Sep 14, 2022
Money lending banks are intermediaries between depositors and borrowers. The money they lend ("create") comes from deposits or loans they receive (existing money). Cannot print money.

On the other hand, the CBN can just print new money/cash (non existing) and pass it into the system. CBN can also lend money to borrowers.

Very distinct activities.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 6:59am On Sep 15, 2022
Frangel:
Money lending banks are intermediaries between depositors and borrowers. The money they lend ("create"wink comes from deposits or loans they receive (existing money). Cannot print money.

On the other hand, the CBN can just print new money/cash (non existing) and pass it into the system. CBN can also lend money to borrowers.

Very distinct activities.

Banks can't literally print money but they do create new money when they make loans.

In fact, the vast majority of money in the economy today comes from these loans created by banks.

However, when a loan is repaid, that money disappears from the economy.

To understand the process of money creation, let us create a hypothetical system of banks. We will focus on two banks in this system: Anderson Bank and Brentwood Bank. Assume that all banks are required to hold reserves equal to 10% of their customer deposits. When a bank's excess reserves equal zero, it is loaned up.

Anderson and Brentwood both operate in a financial system with a 10% reserve requirement. Each has $10,000 in deposits and no excess reserves, so each has $9,000 in loans outstanding, and $10,000 in deposit balances held by customers.

Suppose a customer now deposits $1,000 in Anderson Bank. Anderson will loan out the maximum amount (90%) and hold the required 10% as reserves. There are now $11,000 in deposits in Anderson with $9,900 in loans outstanding.

The debtor takes her $900 loan and deposits it in Brentwood bank. Brentwood's deposits now total $10,900. Thus, you can see that total deposits were $20,000 before the initial $1,000 deposit, and are now $21,900 after. Even though only $1,000 were added to the system, the amount of money in the system increased by $1,900. The $900 in checkable deposits is new money; Anderson created it when it issued the $900 loan.

I hope this matter can be put to rest, abeg o.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2091) (2092) (2093) (2094) (2095) (2096) (2097) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Petit444 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.