Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,486 members, 7,816,149 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (2204) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4438172 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2201) (2202) (2203) (2204) (2205) (2206) (2207) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 10:44am On Mar 02
VeeVeeMyLuv:

No devaluation is main reason for that
When dollars was 400 naira .you needed only just ₦400 cash to get a $

Now you need much more cash, ₦1600 cash to get a $

Now please 🙏 tell us why naira in circulation won't increase X4 like you rightly stated

Let's do the maths ₦1600/₦400 = 4!

You see it has increased four times.

QED.

Emefiele tried to intervene u guys casted him away like a piece of trash.

Had it been his policy was allowed to mature it would have crashed significantly to below ₦500 @ parallel market rate.

Emefiele is a crook and his policy was poorly planned, but one thing I've learned is that Nigerian governors do not mean well for the people. Some of them nearly had heart attacks because of that policy, running from one court and media house to the other in a bid to stop Emefiele. The whole "effort" utterly put me off. Some believed their governors were fighting for them, but the reality is that governors were all about themselves and their stashed loots.

Nigerian governors also made a similar move against Okonjo Iweala and Sanusi when they begged to save for the rainy day.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 10:49am On Mar 02
Acidosis:

Very well said, my brother. Should the CBN remains steadfast and curb any clandestine printing activities, we may see a positive impact on inflation. But how far can one trust the government to do the right thing? Most of the issues we've come to know about the Buhari administration and his "ways and means" only came to light at the end of his tenure.

True.. folks initially defended 'ways and means' thinking Buhari had discovered a new economic phenomenon that other nations had not tried before.

There is a reason the central bank of most developed nations are largely independent in law and deed as politicians who are largely concerned only about their tenure would almost always misuse that opportunity.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 11:02am On Mar 02
jedisco:

Quote you struck out said 'Excessive printing was the major driver of the devaluation we see today'. Keyword: major driver not only driver.

Secondly, the exchange rate is a secondary index primarily driven by certain fundamental economic functions such as productivity, money supply, etc.. The question should be what has driven up our exchange rate?

In 2015, our naira in circulation was 21 trillion. Today, it is 93 trillion. Thats 4x increase while our productivity (in GDP) has remained stagnant over same period.
If our CBN keeps printing tens of trillions and handing over to politicians to loot as it did over the last 8 years, it does not matter if we go on dry fasting for the next 4 years, the resultant inflation would get worse.

I understand what you are saying. I am not clear how far the effects of money laundering have on the economy, but we are very clear that Nigeria is not productive enough and relies too much on foreign goods. I don't know where you are based, but if you look around you and make a detailed appraisal, you will see that more than 80% of the finished products have been imported with zero contribution from our domestic manufacturing. How do you want to survive like that?

Every single piece of clothing you own - whose cotton, sewing and packaging is imported - has contributed to our dwindling reserves, whether in the CBN coffers or the Aboki saves in the streets.

The USA imports a lot of things, but their productivity is still tops, from software to sophisticated products. And it has more currency outside their country stashed in safe havens by individuals than Nigeria does, believe that.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 11:10am On Mar 02
I am not saying that alleged siphoning and laundering by politicians is not contributing. I think it is more that money that should have provided an enabling environment for domestic industrialization to thrive is being diverted to private pockets.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 1:40pm On Mar 02
skydiver01:
The 2nd Quarter NTB calendar is below wink

I just pulled out funds from mutual funds to chase Treasury Bills. I mustn't miss from these juices.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Hogwarthtrades: 2:16pm On Mar 02
skydiver01:

@freeman67 click the username quoted post to see the calendar you requested for.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 2:22pm On Mar 02
Hogwarthtrades:

@freeman67 click the username quoted post to see the calendar you requested for.

I have seen it. Thank you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojexin(m): 7:29pm On Mar 02
Likely TB rate goes to 20%
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by gare2510(m): 9:36pm On Mar 02
skydiver01:

Is this schedule verified, 7th March 2024 is a Thursday; do they issue TB on Thursdays now?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Plus10(m): 9:44pm On Mar 02
Nakedman:

I just pulled out funds from mutual funds to chase Treasury Bills. I mustn't miss from these juices.
The way to go, present rates are not reflecting in mutual funds at all.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 11:11pm On Mar 02
Plus10:

The way to go, present rates are not reflecting in mutual funds at all.

Honestly. Mutual funds are terribble at this time.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tranquility2345: 12:10am On Mar 03
Nakedman:

So if you put an for t bill for a year and now see dollar don dey enter 3k and 4k, wetin you go come do? Me just dey ask question o. I’m not saying it will happen. I just wan know as you go do.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by maishai: 4:52am On Mar 03
Acidosis:

Emefiele is a crook and his policy was poorly planned, but one thing I've learned is that Nigerian governors do not mean well for the people. Some of them nearly had heart attacks because of that policy, running from one court and media house to the other in a bid to stop Emefiele. The whole "effort" utterly put me off. Some believed their governors were fighting for them, but the reality is that governors were all about themselves and their stashed loots.

Nigerian governors also made a similar move against Okonjo Iweala and Sanusi when they begged to save for the rainy day.

Look at d conclusion you are making after heavy media trials........

Under whose watch did emefiele action occur

We Nigerians should please elevate ourselves from tribal sentiments and see the game our leaders are playing, they don't have the interest of the people at heart

Emefiele announced total naira change a month to elections( this action single handedly nearly ruined tinubus presidential bid, that action alone elevated obi from a distant third opposition to second, there was practically no cash in circulation to prosecute elections the Nigerian way( it usually goes to the highest bidders)

Nigerians have suddenly forgotten their suffering during dat period and are now doing economic analysis of what they barely understand for example people sold old #1000 naira notes for #700 for fear of it turning waste in their hands

And we all think Tinubu won't retaliate

As usual tribal sentiments have been whipped up as smoke screens while the Elephants fight heavily among themselves

As a Nigerian ur most important perogative should be not to get slaughtered with the pigs

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 5:11am On Mar 03
maishai:

We Nigerians should please elevate ourselves from tribal sentiments and see the game our leaders are playing, they don't have the interest of the people at heart

Emefiele announced total naira change a month to elections( this action single handedly nearly ruined tinubus presidential bid, that action alone elevated obi from a distant third opposition to second, there was practically no cash in circulation to prosecute elections the Nigerian way( it usually goes to the highest bidders)

Nigerians have suddenly forgotten their suffering during dat period and are now doing economic analysis of what they barely understand for example people sold old #1000 naira notes for #700 for fear of it turning waste in their hands

As usual tribal sentiments have been whipped up as smoke screens while the Elephants fight heavily among themselves

As a Nigerian ur most important perogative should be not to get slaughtered with the pigs

I am struggling to understand your point anyway. Tribal sentiments towards or against whom exactly? Also, are you saying that a CBN governor who took delivery of more than 200 branded vehicles for his 2023 presidential ambition, against section 9 of the Central Bank of Nigeria (Establishment) Act, is not a crook??

Oh, maybe you think the media trials were fruitless? A man who reportedly agreed to forfeit over 50 billion Naira is innocent? Now you reason like a typical Nigerian. The fact that most Nigerian elites do not make it to prison is not proof of innocence. Ike Ekweremadu would have made it back to the senate too if his organ harvesting case had happened in Nigeria.

If you think I give any f.... about any tribe, then you obviously don't know me.

11 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 5:58am On Mar 03
Tranquility2345:

So if you put an for t bill for a year and now see dollar don dey enter 3k and 4k, wetin you go come do? Me just dey ask question o. I’m not saying it will happen. I just wan know as you go do.

I have dollar investment so I am not bothered, I already given up on Naira investment because of I have bonds still running till 2027, 2030 respectively. But however, All I can do is to keep investing and reinvesting every naira to keep up as much as I can. If naira like it goes to 10k, I'm less bothered.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mindtricks: 9:13am On Mar 03
jedisco:

Hehe... most people now see they ultimately have a dog in the game. All said, Nigeria is a country with little or no social security net meaning there is no depth to which folks can't potentially fall to. People are now waking up to the reality of protecting their investment.

I expected CBN to come fighting at 1500. For a brief period, I worriedly thought they lost the battle but kudos to them, they threw almost the whole sink at it. It was at 1500 they devalued the official rate, changed rules for importers, started selling USD to banks, relicenced BDCs and started supplying them, settled many airline debts, heavily targeted crypt0 exchanges, further increased interest rates... Main thing untouched is dom accounts
Some of these have little effect but when used together, should count for something and I'm expecting relative stability at the level for sometime.

The big question now is whether underground work is being sone to ensure longterm stability. The biggest announcement in all this was the end of the reckless money printing of PMB called 'ways and means'. Excessive printing was the major driver of the devaluation we see today. If they stick to their guns and don't devise underhand means to print recklessly, then that should ultimately tame inflation and enable the radically different approach by BATs government to bring some rewards.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Odunharry(m): 10:02am On Mar 03
ojexin:
Likely TB rate goes to 20%
What tenure. It will go above
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojexin(m): 11:53am On Mar 03
Odunharry:

What tenure. It will go above

A year
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lajid: 8:44pm On Mar 03
Nakedman:

I think say na only me. Did same too
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kristien4(m): 9:48am On Mar 04
Nakedman:

Can we submit forms today(monday) for this week's TBills?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 11:46am On Mar 04
ositadima1:
I am not saying that alleged siphoning and laundering by politicians is not contributing. I think it is more that money that should have provided an enabling environment for domestic industrialization to thrive is being diverted to private pockets.

When I mean loot, I dont just mean laundering abroad. I'm referring to the initial recipients of the CBN largesse who have taken us for a ride

Let delve deep. From inception of the naira to 2015, we had 21 trillion in circulation. Between 2015 and 2023, Buhari + Emefiele printed over 70 trillion. What did they use it for?

You talk about productivity and I agree it's a major factor. But increase in productivity as we've seen in UAE and China are the result of concrete steps. What are the top 10 items we spend forex on? Are we saying that even 10 trillion if well utilised cannot build domestic sufficiency in a number of those?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 1:31pm On Mar 04
kristien4:
Can we submit forms today(monday) for this week's TBills?

Yes. I just submitted with Stanbic IBTC. Do that today or very early tomorrow morning Auction is on the 6th.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 1:56pm On Mar 04
lajid:

I think say na only me. Did same too

Mutual fund is lacking behind with thier 11-12%. Even FGN saving Bonds is now 15-16%. i got a memo this morning.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kristien4(m): 5:58pm On Mar 04
Nakedman:

Yes. I just submitted with Stanbic IBTC. Do that today or very early tomorrow morning Auction is on the 6th.
Just did... stanbic too

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 6:07pm On Mar 04
kristien4:
Just did... stanbic too

Best of luck on Thursday.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Luisgats: 6:28pm On Mar 04
Earn 10% of your capital monthly this Bitcoin season

https://AIPowerTrades.com/register

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by farydah: 6:00am On Mar 05
Nakedman:

Mutual fund is lacking behind with thier 11-12%. Even FGN saving Bonds is now 15-16%. i got a memo this morning.
Quantum Zeniths mutual funds is 13% or more sef at the moment

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 6:18am On Mar 05
Verified. Auction on Wednesday. Settles on Thursday wink
gare2510:

Is this schedule verified, 7th March 2024 is a Thursday; do they issue TB on Thursdays now?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Crown2020(m): 7:15am On Mar 05
Nakedman:

What's the current rate for treasury bills now please
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by UsamaRafiq: 11:59am On Mar 05
maishai:

As usual tribal sentiments have been whipped up as smoke screens while Save The Elephants fight heavily among themselves

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 12:12pm On Mar 05
Crown2020:

What's the current rate for treasury bills now please

Last Auction was 19% for 364days.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nakedman: 4:22pm On Mar 05
kristien4:
Just did... stanbic too
Have you been debited.?

(1) (2) (3) ... (2201) (2202) (2203) (2204) (2205) (2206) (2207) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.