Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,598 members, 7,820,146 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (2228) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4446303 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2225) (2226) (2227) (2228) (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pizapato(m): 3:46pm On Apr 26
ojesymsym:
I do not think there will be need for any future devaluation because the official rate is now just a little below the black market rate. That means they now move together

The issue is that fluctuations in both rates is too wide and doesn't make any sense for business.
You expect both NAFEX and black market to move together but the question is will, the rates not continue the perpetual upward move. We all expected the rates to osciallate between 800-1000 but that has not been the case.

I am interested in seeing what the NAFEX and black market rates will be by the end of the year

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by blkmum700: 4:34pm On Apr 26
Odunharry:

Two weeks time most likely

Okay
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 6:05pm On Apr 26
awesomeJ:

Have they changed the meaning of "Luckily"? 😁😁
grin grin grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tweakstar: 12:43pm On Apr 27
presiade:

I did not follow the discussion that led you here, but I think before floating the naira, the Emefiele-led CBN was fixing the naira/dollar rate to whatever they wanted, and the rate this administration met was not truly representative of the value of the naira back then after Emefiele minted naira like pure water.

Ha, my brother, which one is like Pure water again? grin lipsrsealed
I thought people were clapping hands and urging them that they were doing the right thing at the time?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by presiade(m): 8:57pm On Apr 27
tweakstar:

Ha, my brother, which is like Pure water again? grin lipsrsealed
I thought people were clapping hands and urging them that they were doing the right thing at the time?

Pure water cheap! Lol

What does an average Nigerian know? They are shallow and only like cacophonous noise in the name of political agitations.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by davit: 9:30am On Apr 29
I need some clarification here great investors. See the attached, is discount rate different from interest rate? The rate they advertised is interest rate. Going by the matured fund, have I been scammed?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 10:21am On Apr 29
davit:
I need some clarification here great investors. See the attached, is discount rate different from interest rate? The rate they advertised is interest rate. Going by the matured fund, have I been scammed?

The discount rate is truly about 16.82% while the yield abi na interest rate as them call am na about 20.01%.

If it is the 20.01 you saw and thought you invested with na where we fit talk say them scam( Even at that, its not a scam you for seek clarification before the investment) ask afresh or come here browse back small.

TB discount interest is paid upfront so if it was just that way it would have been the 16.82. However, with this, your interest is invested with the principal that's why it will yield that 20.01.

If the discount rate was upto this 20.01, your yield would have around 24%. That 16.82 discount rate is not the sweetest for that tenure considering the present realities but then na secondary market and it's already a done deal. So, make you manage am.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by davit: 10:39am On Apr 29
freeman67:

The discount rate is truly about 16.82% while the yield abi na interest rate as them call am na about 20.01%.

If it is the 20.01 you saw and thought you invested with na where we fit talk say them scam( Even at that, its not a scam you for seek clarification before the investment) ask afresh or come here browse back small.

TB discount interest is paid upfront so if it was just that way it would have been the 16.82. However, with this, your interest is invested with the principal that's why it will yield that 20.01.

If the discount rate was upto this 20.01, your yield would have around 24%. That 16.82 discount rate is not the sweetest for that tenure considering the present realities but then na secondary market and it's already a done deal. So, make you manage am.

Now I understand. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DFPS: 1:09pm On Apr 29
Hi bosses
Is it possible to change account where TB funds will drop to after maturity
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 4:33pm On Apr 29
Please, can I buy tb bills from stanbic ibtc without visiting the branch? If so, how?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bluekapon(m): 1:08pm On Apr 30
alezzy13:

Yep

Please what's the minimum amount an individual can invest in TBills via primary market currently, And which banks can one bid through?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bluekapon(m): 1:21pm On Apr 30
Itsrm:
First banks bid was successful at 20% interest rate.
Please, for primary market Tbill, what's the minimum amount one can bid via First Bank?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bluekapon(m): 1:24pm On Apr 30
alezzy13:

That's great.

GTB anyone? 🙏

What's the minimum amount for gtb?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bluekapon(m): 1:42pm On Apr 30
Bennycollins:
Hi forumites.
Please someone should clarify me, I started getting involved in Tbills a couple of yrs ago, but have never done the primary market. I opted for the PMA on advice of my bank official,ZBN, and I completed the form against this week bidding round.
I just discovered the quoted principal has already been removed from my account. Does this mean the bid is already done and successful? Or it is the practice to first remove the bid sum?
Thanks for anticipated feedback.

What's the minimum amount for zenith bank Tbill PMA
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 1:43am On May 01
Bluekapon:

What's the minimum amount for gtb?

Not too sure, but I think it's about 100k. It's best you contact them
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Itsrm(m): 5:01am On May 01
Bluekapon:

Please, for primary market Tbill, what's the minimum amount one can bid via First Bank?

N50,000/N100,000
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dacool1(m): 6:46am On May 01
Has anyone used I-INVEST app? Do they pay interest upfront?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aieromon(m): 6:59am On May 01
dacool1:
Has anyone used I-INVEST app? Do they pay interest upfront?

No. You get capital + interest - 10% WHT at maturity.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dacool1(m): 7:08am On May 01
aieromon:

No. You get capital + interest - 10% WHT at maturity.

Thanks alot. Do some commercial banks also do this when you bid through them or they all pay your interest upfront?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lajid: 7:18am On May 01
Chiefs pls I’m simple term, someone should explain discount rate and yield for me. What’s the difference

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dacool1(m): 9:19am On May 01
Please house what's the minimum ACCESS BANK does and is it possible to just send an email or one must physically visit the bank to invest in TB
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Itsrm(m): 10:58am On May 01
dacool1:
Please house what's the minimum ACCESS BANK does and is it possible to just send an email or one must physically visit the bank to invest in TB

You can send an email if you have email indemnity. If not, you'll have to physically visit.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by presiade(m): 5:24pm On May 01
lajid:
Chiefs pls I’m simple term, someone should explain discount rate and yield for me. What’s the difference
https://wiki.treasurers.org/wiki/Discount_rate

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lajid: 7:23pm On May 01
presiade:

https://wiki.treasurers.org/wiki/Discount_rate

I get the concept it’s still not making sense tho how they got the calculation, reason I asked
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by presiade(m): 9:53pm On May 01
lajid:

I get the concept it’s still not making sense tho how they got the calculation, reason I asked
The discount rate is like the rate your account officer gives you when you ask for Tbills. Yield (rate) is the percentage of the amount you invest less the upfront earnings you make from the investment.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by stokfrick: 9:19am On May 02
Good day fellow investors, I've been following the insightful comments on this thread and I must commend everyone.
But pls I need to know if these banks have investment houses where one can go to apply for t.bills or do I just walk straight to any bank Branch( for eg any zenith bank Branch if I am to use zenith), and apply for it?
Your comments and any additional info is highly appreciated.
Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 9:45am On May 02
lajid:

Now, pay attention to my mini masterclass in personal finance.

You invested 100,000 in Treasury Bills at a 16% discount rate. They pay 16,000 upfront (that is, at the start of the tenure, they return 16,000 to you). Effectively, they collected 84,000 from you, and at the end of the tenure, they pay you 100,000 (they call this the face value).

Now, pay attention very carefully, I am about to say something very important.

Yield is the extra money you get divided by initial investment. You invested 84,000 for the tenure and got an extra 16,000. The yield should be 19%, while the discount rate is 16%.

There will be a final exam on Monday. wink cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 12:18pm On May 02
lol... Based on this your explanation, failure rate go high.

ositadima1:

You invested 100,000 in Treasury Bills at a 16% discount rate. They pay 16,000 upfront (that is, at the start of the tenure, they return 16,000 to you). Effectively, they collected 84,000 from you, and at the end of the tenure, they pay you 100,000 (they call this the face value).

Yield is the extra money you get divided by initial investment. You invested 84,000 for the tenure and got an extra 16,000. The yield should be 19%, while the discount rate is 16%.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 12:36pm On May 02
ojesymsym:
lol... Based on this your explanation, failure rate go high.

Why is that so? Did you catch any inaccuracies in my mini-lecture? It is simple enough. All over the world, when purchasing government treasury bills, you don't pay the face value; you pay the discounted value. Then, at maturity, you get the face value.

So, paying the face value and getting a discount on the bid day in Nigerian banks is actually what I explained. The other point is about yield. Whether it's a treasury bill or any other form of investment, the yield is the return divided by the investment.

Don't come here and badmouth my consultancy business if you don't have any reason to do so. You don't need to like me, okay? grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy wink wink

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 12:44pm On May 02
Not inaccurate, but for reserved for your Phd class... Many of us never write WAEC
ositadima1:

Why is that so? Did you catch any inaccuracies in my mini-lecture? It is simple enough. All over the world, when purchasing government treasury bills, you don't pay the face value; you pay the discounted value. Then, at maturity, you get the face value.

So, paying the face value and getting a discount on the bid day in Nigerian banks is actually what I explained. The other point is about yield. Whether it's a treasury bill or any other form of investment, the yield is the return divided by the investment.

Don't come here and badmouth my consultancy business if you don't have any reason to do so. You don't need to like me, okay? grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy wink wink

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by enque(f): 8:05pm On May 02
stokfrick:
Good day fellow investors, I've been following the insightful comments on this thread and I must commend everyone.
But pls I need to know if these banks have investment houses where one can go to apply for t.bills or do I just walk straight to any bank Branch( for eg any zenith bank Branch if I am to use zenith), and apply for it?
Your comments and any additional info is highly appreciated.
Thanks

walk into any bank branch and tell them you wanna buy TBills.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 8:12pm On May 02
ositadima1:

AOC sir cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (2225) (2226) (2227) (2228) (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Kingsfranklyn(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.