Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,790 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (272) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4445359 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Happyfellow147: 2:28pm On Mar 03, 2017
Please the experts in the house should guide us properly regarding this MMF stuff. Seems it's the only hope of small investors. Please hold us by the hand the way you did it in TBs. Even if it means opening a new thread and refer us there
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by amiibaby(f): 3:08pm On Mar 03, 2017
Exactly my thought.... I really want to know about this MMF of a thing.....thanks Oga Feelamong
Happyfellow147:
Please the experts in the house should guide us properly regarding this MMF stuff. Seems it's the only hope of small investors. Please hold us by the hand the way you did it in TBs. Even if it means opening a new thread and refer us there
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tunene66: 3:19pm On Mar 03, 2017
bendo75:

That will be a good way of framing my question. I only asked about that because my rate (18.28%) for 364 sailed through using true yield option on the form. Thanks.

True Yield = discount rate/(1-(discount rate*tenor/number of days in the year))

An update of the formula given yesterday
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Lalaska(m): 4:20pm On Mar 03, 2017
amiibaby:
Exactly my thought.... I really want to know about this MMF of a thing.....thanks Oga Feelamong

There is already a mutual funds thread posted here by @feelamong Please check back a few threads back. Meanwhile MMF has nothing to do with MMM o. It is just one type of Mutual Funds called Money Market Fund (MMF for short). You can also check stanbic asset management or ARM website for more information

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by munezo(m): 4:46pm On Mar 03, 2017
Money Market Fund is good because it is for risk averse investors, yet I personally do not prefer it to investing in NTB or Bonds directly. This is because the fund owners will still have to make profit from you. Profit in form of unnecessary charges.

Retail investors still have a chance to play in the new Treasury Bills market. I spoke with a finance house and was told their new plan is to pool funds from retail investors at a minimum of N500k per investor, so that they can make up the new NTB minimum bid amount of N50m.

If this works fine, then that is a good alternative. The new FGN Savings Bond is another good alternative if it comes with a good coupon rate.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Team16(m): 6:09pm On Mar 03, 2017
Any Gtbank debit yet for 364days. Please hala. Let me know. I'm yet to be debited. Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 6:22pm On Mar 03, 2017
unite4real:

Money market fund. What they do with your money is to pool so many investors money and buy treasury bills, bonds and other secured government instruments. With the pool of fund, they get better bargains and save you the headaches of throwing in bids to do it yourself every now and then.

thanks man.......how safe are they.......are they like a finance house or something.putting hard earned money in the hands of just anybody isnt easy. whats there risk level....or how safe are they
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 6:36pm On Mar 03, 2017
munezo:
Money Market Fund is good because it is for risk averse investors, yet I personally do not prefer it to investing in NTB or Bonds directly. This is because the fund owners will still have to make profit from you. Profit in form of unnecessary charges.

Retail investors still have a chance to play in the new Treasury Bills market. I spoke with a finance house and was told their new plan is to pool funds from retail investors at a minimum of N500k per investor, so that they can make up the new NTB minimum bid amount of N50m.

If this works fine, then that is a good alternative. The new FGN Savings Bond is another good alternative if it comes with a good coupon rate.

i dont want to get confused.....are u saying that the new status was actually meant for banks and finance houses such that they are not allowed to apply to the primary market if they dont have a pool of upto 50m. Am sure most banks have more than 50m at any given auction.....even before this new dmo rule am not sure about the finance houses though,....

going by what u posted, individuals do not have to worry especially when they use banks or maybe banks would have a minimum amount for intending TB investors . allah this thing is just vexing me......i need clarification before the next auctions

pls guyz.....more expert clarification needed......
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by munezo(m): 7:29pm On Mar 03, 2017
Yes, sadly the new minimum for NTB is N50m starting from monday next week, but some banks and finance houses will try to gather retail investors' funds into a pool to get the required N50m.
In this case, it will be left to the bank and finance houses to determine the minimum amount they will ask each retail investor to invest. The finance house I spoke with told me their minimum is N500k.

They also told me I will not be able to bid at my own rate, I will have to go with their advised rate.

zamirikpo:

i dont want to get confused.....are u saying that the new status was actually meant for banks and finance houses such that they are not allowed to apply to the primary market if they dont have a pool of upto 50m. Am sure most banks have more than 50m at any given auction.....even before this new dmo rule am not sure about the finance houses though,....

going by what u posted, individuals do not have to worry especially when they use banks or maybe banks would have a minimum amount for intending TB investors . allah this thing is just vexing me......i need clarification before the next auctions

pls guyz.....more expert clarification needed......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by amiibaby(f): 8:41pm On Mar 03, 2017
Lalaska:

There is already a mutual funds thread posted here by @feelamong Please check back a few threads back. Meanwhile MMF has nothing to do with MMM o. It is just one type of Mutual Funds called Money Market Fund (MMF for short). You can also check stanbic asset management or ARM website for more information
thanks I will do just that
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GetPosted: 10:40pm On Mar 03, 2017
I'm yet to be debited by GTBank. Has anyone been debited by GTB for 364days yet
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bendo75(m): 12:53am On Mar 04, 2017
GetPosted:
I'm yet to be debited by GTBank. Has anyone been debited by GTB for 364days yet

GTB debited me for 364 days Thursday evening.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Team16(m): 2:30am On Mar 04, 2017
bendo75:

GTB debited me for 364 days Thursday evening.

Wow. I'm yet to be debited. What is really happening?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by hancock(m): 6:19am On Mar 04, 2017
Team16:
Any Gtbank debit yet for 364days. Please hala. Let me know. I'm yet to be debited. Thanks.
GTBank debited me Thursday evening. What rate did you go for?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Team16(m): 6:36am On Mar 04, 2017
hancock:

GTBank debited me Thursday evening. What rate did you go for?

18.39%. What of you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mpeace(m): 10:29pm On Mar 04, 2017
munezo:

If they Pool funds like you said, it becomes risky since the reversion at the expiration of the investment goes to one person or account. If that person is the investment house and that investment house has gone under before the maturity date, your money will be used to pay creditors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 10:37pm On Mar 04, 2017
Mpeace:
If they Pool funds like you said, it becomes risky since the reversion at the expiration of the investment goes to one person or account. If that person is the investment house and that investment house has gone under before the maturity date, your money will be used to pay creditors.

Aren't MMF subscribers creditors?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by munezo(m): 1:12am On Mar 05, 2017
That's why you have to choose a credible bank or finance house to do the deal with

Mpeace:
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:04am On Mar 05, 2017
Mpeace:

Mutual funds are regulated by SEC , the fund managers are also expected to employ an independent Trustee eg First Trustees, Union Trustees etc.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by buffalowings: 10:57am On Mar 05, 2017
this mmf and Tb are for the big boys

anyway I also invested my shikini change in ecobank mmf 2 months ago

thinking about it I should have opted for tb, smt like 6mths

I just hope the returns are gud grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mpeace(m): 12:12pm On Mar 05, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

Mutual funds are regulated by SEC , the fund managers are also expected to employ an independent Trustee eg First Trustees, Union Trustees etc.
This one is not mutual fund. It is an unofficial arrangement to help thise who do not have 50mil.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by specimen23(m): 3:11pm On Mar 05, 2017
i wonder wat the current rates are now?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:53pm On Mar 05, 2017
Mpeace:
This one is not mutual fund. It is an unofficial arrangement to help thise who do not have 50mil.

I am talking about money market mutual funds, like that of FBN Capital where investors can invest as little as 10k in money market instruments.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 8:27am On Mar 06, 2017
Wow....

Am back after my ban...

Since its obvious that we all cannot take part in the Primary markets anymore...

I want to suggest that we share info on what each of our Investment bankers are offering in the secondary markets...

At least that way we can identify the banks/Investment houses with the best rates and deal with them..

Shalom!!

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ernie4life(m): 9:05am On Mar 06, 2017
feelamong:
Wow....

Am back after my ban...

Since its obvious that we all cannot take part in the Primary markets anymore...

I want to suggest that we share info on what each of our Investment bankers are offering in the secondary markets...

At least that way we can identify the banks/Investment houses with the best rates and deal with them..

Shalom!!

welcome back

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:40am On Mar 06, 2017
feelamong:
Wow....

Am back after my ban...

Shalom!!

I just left my bank First Bank stock exchange branch Lagos. They have started receiving money for the next bidding and status quo remains.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 10:43am On Mar 06, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

I just left my bank First Bank stock exchange branch Lagos. They have started receiving money for the next bidding and status quo remains.

Looks like they want to collate and buy in their name as one first.

Were you allowed to bid at your own rate?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:52am On Mar 06, 2017
feelamong:

I pray they do o, looking at April though.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:02am On Mar 06, 2017
feelamong:

First Bank will not allow you to bid at your rate
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by feelamong(m): 11:20am On Mar 06, 2017
emmanuelewumi:
First Bank will not allow you to bid at your rate

So they were already selling to you their secondary markets rates all this while?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ihedioramma: 11:41am On Mar 06, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

Oga emma tell us more?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by exclusiveoloori: 11:53am On Mar 06, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

Thanks for this info. Just what I needed to read this mrng. Have a great day.

(1) (2) (3) ... (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) (275) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.