Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,068 members, 7,818,183 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:44 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (352) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4442108 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (349) (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 10:50am On Aug 03, 2017
MssRose:
it's Friday already and yet to be debited by stanbic bank please who else budded with stanbic? and have you been debited?

My dear its always like this.....especially when ur mind starts playing tricks on u.......about how u may miss out ,one way or the other.

I am still expecting from stanbic.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 11:33am On Aug 03, 2017
zamirikpo:

My dear its always like this.....especially when ur mind starts playing tricks on u.......about how u may miss out ,one way or the other.

Just be calm. It will come. It pains to miss out really. But that has not happened, though.

First Bank Secondary Market Today 3rd Aug:

315days 18%
308days 18%
294days 18.40%
259days 18.10%
161days 18%

Just in case Stanbic............ Although I don't see that happening.

Take care
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by anitank(f): 11:34am On Aug 03, 2017
okochaik:
Hello house i want you guys to advice me on this that have been bothering me. I have wanted to invest in TB since this year but i have a kind of fear that made me start to contemplate. I am a type that likes to invest all in one and so like to be careful not to lose at the end. What bothers me is the Biafran Agitation issues and now my question is, if anyhow Biafra separates can the Nigerian government decide not to refund my money?

This have really left me with thoughts of using the money to buy land. Please i need professional advice from the house
Note: No tribalism here

But there is no guarantee you won't lose your money in your savings account if Nigeria divides. Go invest your money and stop worrying so much about things you have no control over

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ihedioramma: 11:36am On Aug 03, 2017
grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:51am On Aug 03, 2017
anitank:

But there is no guarantee you won't lose your money in your savings account if Nigeria divides. Go invest your money and stop worrying so much about things you have no control over

Thanks for the Advice. Please you know when one can place the next bid?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 12:50pm On Aug 03, 2017
okochaik:
Hello house i want you guys to advice me on this that have been bothering me. I have wanted to invest in TB since this year but i have a kind of fear that made me start to contemplate. I am a type that likes to invest all in one and so like to be careful not to lose at the end. What bothers me is the Biafran Agitation issues and now my question is, if anyhow Biafra separates can the Nigerian government decide not to refund my money?

This have really left me with thoughts of using the money to buy land. Please i need professional advice from the house

Nawa O!

Nothing wey person no go see for this Nairaland. Some intended investors have turned this lovely thread into Comedy Villa.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AkDave1: 1:15pm On Aug 03, 2017
Very Funny.
Though I also have same thoughts for some time... but like someone said, Don't worry over things you have no control over
dotcomnamename:

Nawa O!

Nothing wey person no go see for this Nairaland. Some intended investors have turned this lovely thread into Comedy Villa.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by abbeyboy2o15(m): 1:42pm On Aug 03, 2017
feelamong:

Officially you can invest as little as N1000. But because of the paper work involved and for the fact that the fees u pay to them is very low, most banks and discount houses insist on a min of 100k to N1M.

If you are interested send me a mail to feelamong@gmail.com ..I will introduce you to a friend in a discount house.
pls what is the minimum rate to invest, and which bank or other place is the best now.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tobe4real(m): 1:52pm On Aug 03, 2017
2n2k:

Note that stanbic doesn't debit you until your bid is successful and will only debit you with the discounted amount only.

However, it will freeze the face-value of your bid (though still in your account but not available for withdrawal) a day to the bidding day.

There is really no easy way to re-invest thru stanbic, however, if you have surplus amounts in the account to cover it, you can go like the example below

Let us say, you intend to invest N1m face-value at (estimated) bank rate of 18% with a tenor of 364 days

Fill a form for N1,220,000
This is N1,000,000 + N180,000 (i.e. the discount on N1m) + N40,000 (compounding discount on subsequent re-investments till discount get to zero)

Stanbic will freeze N1,220,000 on your account a day to bidding day without debiting you.

A day after the bidding, your account will only be debited with N1,000,000 and other minor commissions.

At maturity, you will be credited with N1,220,000.

Note that your yield is now 22% and not the 18% discount rate. This is called true yield when you reinvest discount at the same rate and tenor as the principal.
please what's the least amount of days one can invest in treasury bills?i fixed 8.2m for 60days and got 95k that was still taxed.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by anitank(f): 1:53pm On Aug 03, 2017
authore=okochaik post=59107301]

Thanks for the Advice. Please you know when one can place the next bid?

If you're going for the secondary market, you can walk in any bank preferably First Bank or stanbic and ask for their available tenures and rates. Fill the form and then wait to be debited.

If you want to go for the primary market you have to stay updated on this thread to know when the next auction would be, then go before that date to your preferred bank and place your bid.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tobe4real(m): 1:57pm On Aug 03, 2017
So really 1m is the highest amount one can invest hmmm....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 1:57pm On Aug 03, 2017
tobe4real:
please what's the least amount of days one can invest in treasury bills?i fixed 8.2m for 60days and got 95k that was still taxed.

At what discount?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tobe4real(m): 2:00pm On Aug 03, 2017
Investnow2017:

At what discount?
10%
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by MOM1(m): 2:05pm On Aug 03, 2017
tobe4real:
10%

The minimum is 100k.. I will advise you split the fund for the TB and do different tenors because the amount you have right now is a lot. I am in the same dilemma right now. I split the fund and did different days though it primary market. I got the notification that one was successful and am still waiting on my relationship manager about the other one. This was done in First Bank.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ugosample(m): 2:32pm On Aug 03, 2017
okochaik:

This country is not disintegrating so no fear.

If you want to invest, you invest
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 03, 2017
anitank:

If you're going for the secondary market, you can walk in any bank preferably First Bank or stanbic and ask for their available tenures and rates. Fill the form and then wait to be debited.

If you want to go for the primary market you have to stay updated on this thread to know when the next auction would be, then go before that date to your preferred bank and place your bid.
Thanks a lot dear, I guess I will watch out for the primary market. I am glad

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tobe4real(m): 2:40pm On Aug 03, 2017
MOM1:

The minimum is 100k.. I will advise you split the fund for the TB and do different tenors because the amount you have right now is a lot. I am in the same dilemma right now. I split the fund and did different days though it primary market. I got the notification that one was successful and am still waiting on my relationship manager about the other one. This was done in First Bank.
maximum nko?is it really 1m?and can one do 60-90days
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by elpiro: 2:45pm On Aug 03, 2017
tobe4real:
maximum nko?is it really 1m?and can one do 60-90days
maximum
30billion for the account.lol
primary market--91 days minimum
secondary market--subject to availability.

50 million gives you the right to decide your rate.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tobe4real(m): 3:10pm On Aug 03, 2017
elpiro:

maximum
30billion for the account.lol
primary market--91 days minimum
secondary market--subject to availability.

50 million gives you the right to decide your rate.
ok thanks,someone on here said 1m is the maximum so i was wondering...please can someone on here show us how they calculate this things?when I fixed 8.2m for 60 days and they told me 7.00% what I calculated was different from what i was given
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by MOM1(m): 3:15pm On Aug 03, 2017
tobe4real:
ok thanks,someone on here said 1m is the maximum so i was wondering...please can someone on here show us how they calculate this things?when I fixed 8.2m for 60 days and they told me 7.00% what I calculated was different from what i was given

You can go through previous posts. The calculation has been posted several times, but keep in mind. For TB, the longer the days the more money you make.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tobe4real(m): 3:34pm On Aug 03, 2017
MOM1:

You can go through previous posts. The calculation has been posted several times, but keep in mind. For TB, the longer the days the more money you make.
ok thanks....hmmm I just checked and saw it's 345 pages,I wonder when I'll be able to get done going through
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 3:47pm On Aug 03, 2017
House, there is a development I am envisaging going by the report I have just been given at my Branch of First Bank. The officer said that they have been hinted that they would stop Secondary Market in some of their branches. If that is true, I think the banks are making serious moves to discourage retail patronage of the Nigerian Treasury Bills.

The same guy that opened his system and we both went through to get a competitive discount on my last T/Bills just last week is telling me now that he does not even have access to the portal any more.

We have got to watch the space as I can see the banks already crying that their deposits are depleting due to retail patronage of the Nigerian T/Bills as individuals are moving funds away from their accounts to participate in the Tbills auctions.

Please share your experience with the house so we can jointly monitor this disturbing development and know how to navigate it.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by PhilJames: 4:01pm On Aug 03, 2017
tobe4real:

8.2M will get you 272,958 for 90 days....

Treasury bill is way better than Fixed deposit.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:19pm On Aug 03, 2017
Investnow2017:

House, there is a development I am envisaging going by the report I have just been given at my Branch of First Bank. The officer said that they have been hinted that they would stop Secondary Market in some of their branches. If that is true, I think the banks are making serious moves to discourage retail patronage of the Nigerian Treasury Bills.

The same guy that opened his system and we both went through to get a competitive discount on my last T/Bills just last week is telling me now that he does not even have access to the portal any more.

We have got to watch the space as I can see the banks already crying that their deposits are depleting due to retail patronage of the Nigerian T/Bills as individuals are moving funds away from their accounts to participate in the Tbills auctions.

Please share your experience with the house so we can jointly monitor this disturbing development and know how to navigate it.

Where your branch? I doubt if the directive is from the head office.

When I needed a loan and wanted to use my Treasury Bill as a collateral, my loan officer advised me to terminate my TB and convert the fund to fixed deposit.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tobe4real(m): 5:22pm On Aug 03, 2017
PhilJames:

8.2M will get you 272,958 for 90 days....

Treasury bill is way better than Fixed deposit.
wow!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ugoelvis1(m): 5:56pm On Aug 03, 2017
Please with the recent policy changes, what amount limit makes one eligible for the TB primary market subscription. Also that qualifying for secondary market will be appreciated. What are there different rates primary/secondary?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 7:01pm On Aug 03, 2017
zamirikpo:

How far? Have you been debited now? At what rate and tenor
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jp130(m): 7:09pm On Aug 03, 2017
no debit alert yet o frm sterling bnk, any bnk wit debit?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cooldudeng(m): 7:17pm On Aug 03, 2017
Stanbic just debited me!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tobe4real(m): 7:27pm On Aug 03, 2017
cooldudeng:
Stanbic just debited me!

can a good samaritan please help calculate 3.5m tb for 91days tenor?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by inze(m): 7:33pm On Aug 03, 2017
tobe4real:
can a good samaritan please help calculate 3.5m tb for 91days tenor?

You'll need to specify rate. Lets assume 17%, your interest should be 148k
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tobe4real(m): 7:37pm On Aug 03, 2017
inze:

You'll need to specify rate. Lets assume 17%, your interest should be 148k
ok thanks but I thought different tenors have different fixed rates

(1) (2) (3) ... (349) (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.