Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,788 members, 7,831,548 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (370) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4460994 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) ... (2233) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Magnifico2000: 7:44pm On Aug 21, 2017
ijeshaboy:
I want to terminate my Tbills that will mature 5th October, is there any penality for this, and how long will it take my bank to credit my account.
Mine will aslo mature 5th october.. although i heard it is so difucult to liquidate tbills, i dont know hw trye that is.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tundebabzy: 8:30pm On Aug 21, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

I don't think you will get what you are looking for because any chart drawn over the years, will be Rates calculated on a yearly average.
Why not start from the beginning of this thread, atleast it began December 2012, You can take your time to go after each page while putting down the rates of various month.

Although from mg observation, November December January , rates are always dropping.
May June July seems to be when the rates are spiked due to calls for budget implementation. This is my own observation which could be wrong, so you can do yours and observe for yourself! #Start from Page 1
Not true. Visit https://www.cbn.gov.ng/rates/GovtSecuritiesDrillDown.asp?market=NTBP. You'll get rates for each auction up to March 2002 spread over 200 pages. There is also a link to export the data to Excel so you can generate a line chart by yourself to see the trend.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 8:57pm On Aug 21, 2017
Magnifico2000:

I heard it is so dificult to liquidate Tbills. Hw true is dis?
its not.

if i recall clearly Alikote said it clearly ... When you liquidate TBills..the money returns to your account at the close of work that Day.

go in the morning. Dont listen to those "lying" bankers

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 9:14pm On Aug 21, 2017
tundebabzy:

Not true. Visit https://www.cbn.gov.ng/rates/GovtSecuritiesDrillDown.asp?market=NTBP. You'll get rates for each auction up to March 2002 spread over 200 pages. There is also a link to export the data to Excel so you can generate a line chart by yourself to see the trend.
oh thanks a lot for that!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by LeeCodeman: 9:20pm On Aug 21, 2017
Please I need your help. What is a 5million compounded investment in treasury bills at an average rate of 13% after 4 years?

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 400billionman: 1:18am On Aug 22, 2017
dahddy3:
It's a good investment but I prefer investing on real estate. It has a very high return on investment(RoI). You will only need to invest in genuine lands especially genuine estates. If you need information on how to invest on genuine lands in lekki or to join the real estate business, check my signature.

You think TB customers don't know about RE. The returns are the same, I do both.

But be informed that TB is stress free and you can start with as low as 100k. While RE is very risky and you require millions to start.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by question(m): 7:20am On Aug 22, 2017
Hello Tbills gurus,
I have a concern. I did a 1-year Tbills (Secondary market) investment with GTbank about 2 months ago. They debited my account minus the interest and I saw the Tbills investment reflected in my online account profile.
But 1 month ago, they created my account as if the investment has matured and debited it again same day. From then on, I didnt see the Tbills investment in my account again. I was worried as this was quite unusual.
I have asked and they said that I should not worry that it is a problem with their internet platform to be fixed soon. Till today I have not seen the investment in my account.
I know something is not right somewhere within the bank. Has anyone experienced this kind of tbills problem with any nigerian bank?

This is why I don't trust secondary market t-bills. The bank can play games with your money.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Lionhearted: 7:30am On Aug 22, 2017
Please what happens if one invested in Secondary market t-bills and the financial institution you bought it through goes belly up?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Emanex18: 7:46am On Aug 22, 2017
kycilae:

Thanks for this calculation. But if i decide to bid for 700k for 365 days at the rate of 18% which is 126k.. Pls will they minus the 126k in the 700k as my return in investment.

Example. Will dey debit me 574k and leave 126k for me?
And also at the end of the 365 days, will i be credited the total of 700k back..

Please need a true and legit answer. Thanks!

Nice Question
I need clarification on that too.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by inze(m): 7:51am On Aug 22, 2017
kycilae:

Thanks for this calculation. But if i decide to bid for 700k for 365 days at the rate of 18% which is 126k.. Pls will they minus the 126k in the 700k as my return in investment.

And also at the end of the 365 days, will i be credited the total of 700k back..

Some banks operate this way while some other don't.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:09am On Aug 22, 2017
LeeCodeman:
Please I need your help. What is a 5million compounded investment in treasury bills at an average rate of 13% after 4 years?

Roughly 8.15m

Always use A=P (1+r)^t
A is the compounded amount.
P is the principal which in this case is 5m
r is the rate which is 13%=0.13
t is the number of years =4

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RAY12345(m): 8:12am On Aug 22, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

No its not, using the example of the person whom you just quoted.
1million naira 13% for 91days and
1million naira 17% for 182days

Investment 1:
1million naira at 13% for 91days
1000000 x 13/100 = 130,000 for the year
130,000/364days = 357.14 naira per day
which means you will earn 357naira in a day!!!!
so 91days = 357.14 x 91 = 32,500 (Gross profit)

Investment 2:
1million at 182days for 17%
1000000 x 17/100 = 170,000 for the year
170,000/364 = 467.03 naira per day
which means you will earn 467naira in a day
so 182days = 467 x 182 = 84,999 (Gross profit)

NOW you can see that Investment 2 is yielding more profit per day even though it spans for 182days

Now for the purpose of compounding,
if after your 91days investment matures,
You take the 32,500 + 1million capital and invest it for another 91days at same rate of 13%
it becomes
1,032,500 x 13/100 = 134,225 in a year
134,225/364 days = 368naira per day
368naira x 91days = 33556
33,556 is your interest for 91days + ur capital of 1,032,500 brings a GRAND TOTAL of 1,066,056

So my friend even with a compound interest
1million will yield 66k if compounded 91days twice
while for 182days , 1million will yield 84k.
that's about 18k difference. So u see my friend 91days is not cool if your Profit hungry, its only adviceable to use 91days if you would be needing cash soon enough!!!! Lool

You've simplified it all. Thanks for this analysis.

Regards
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by yomi007k(m): 8:57am On Aug 22, 2017
400billionman:

You think TB customers don't know about RE. The returns are the same, I do both.

But be informed that TB is stress free and you can start with as low as 100k. While RE is very risky and you require millions to start.

It pains me that many years after resigning from the bank, i am just noticing this investment window.

Indeed knowledge on paper is different from applied knowledge..

Thank u for sharing the truth.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by abimbola01(m): 10:43am On Aug 22, 2017
Greetings,
Please, how can someone invest in OMO(CBN) ?
Best regards
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 10:44am On Aug 22, 2017
kycilae:

Yes sir, that's how its done.
Without accounting for charges,
If your bid is successful, 126k will be left in your account while they take 574k, when it matures you will be paid back your capital of 700k.
so at maturity date you get back your 700k + the initial 126k paid initially. So in the real sense, you invested 574k and got 126k because that's what they debited.

However if you have no need for the interest, there is what is called TRUE YIELD I.e Re-investing the interest.
Here on your form, you tick "re-invest the interest".
Now the whole 700k will be deducted and guess what? Your money will not be moving at 18% but at 22%.

#The pros here can throw more light on this tho

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by C4Ltd: 11:40am On Aug 22, 2017
question:
Hello Tbills gurus,
I have a concern. I did a 1-year Tbills (Secondary market) investment with GTbank about 2 months ago. They debited my account minus the interest and I saw the Tbills investment reflected in my online account profile.
But 1 month ago, they created my account as if the investment has matured and debited it again same day. From then on, I didnt see the Tbills investment in my account again. I was worried as this was quite unusual.
I have asked and they said that I should not worry that it is a problem with their internet platform to be fixed soon. Till today I have not seen the investment in my account.
I know something is not right somewhere within the bank. Has anyone experienced this kind of tbills problem with any nigerian bank?

This is why I don't trust secondary market t-bills. The bank can play games with your money.
see the way you're panicking. How can you speak of 1 year in secondary market? It is surely a combination of different tenures. That is what you are experiencing. You don't understand a game and you are playing it hard

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ndidigood(f): 11:52am On Aug 22, 2017
Pls can someone roll over interest assuming u do #200k
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:56am On Aug 22, 2017
Pls can I bid like #530k instead of #500k
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CuteRedd(f): 12:13pm On Aug 22, 2017
adegokekemi:
you can bid any amount from 100k and above
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Agbaletu: 12:14pm On Aug 22, 2017
adegokekemi:
Yes, you can even bid 501k.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Capital247: 1:17pm On Aug 22, 2017
kycilae:
Pls what's the difference in primary and secondary bid in TBILLS

Minimum bid at the primary market is 50m upward, which is purchased directly from CBN while in the secondary market you can bid as low as 100k.

Players in the primary market are bwt the CBN and investment banks, commercial banks, discount houses, insurance firms etc
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Capital247: 1:38pm On Aug 22, 2017
joseph1013:

Is this the primary or secondary market?

18.4%
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Phyde: 1:42pm On Aug 22, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

Yes sir, that's how its done.
Without accounting for charges,
If your bid is successful, 126k will be left in your account while they take 574k, when it matures you will be paid back your capital of 700k.
so at maturity date you get back your 700k + the initial 126k paid initially. So in the real sense, you invested 574k and got 126k because that's what they debited.

However if you have no need for the interest, there is what is called TRUE YIELD I.e Re-investing the interest.
Here on your form, you tick "re-invest the interest".
Now the whole 700k will be deducted and guess what? Your money will not be moving at 18% but at 22%.

#The pros here can throw more light on this tho
22% for the same 364 days if I re-invest the profit? This sounds interesting...I did not see Re-Invest Interest option on the form i picked from stanbic IBTC. How will i go about it sir?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:02pm On Aug 22, 2017
Agbaletu:

Yes, you can even bid 501k.

OK. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 2:07pm On Aug 22, 2017
Phyde:

22% for the same 364 days if I re-invest the profit? This sounds interesting...I did not see Re-Invest Interest option on the form i picked from stanbic IBTC. How will i go about it sir?
Oops I dunno bout stanbic ibtc but first bank of Nigeria has that option "Re-invest upfront interest".
If they don't why not seek for extra cash to add to your capital, knowing you can pay back with the upfront interest.
eg I want to Invest 1million at 18% 364days,
I know that 180,000will be paid upfront while 820,000 will be taken away. Now if I can add/borrow 200,000 from a friend/family and Invest 1.2million at same 18%
my upfront ineterst (gross) will be 216,000. With this upfront interest I can payback my friend his money THE NEXT DAY, while I will be expecting 1.2m at the end of the tenor.
so I borrow and payback in less than 48hrs,lol

NB: I forgot to say you can do this diffefently, there was a comment here sometime ago I think by ernie4life.
Not so sure who again but he said
in stanbic ibtc, they don't deduct the whole capital and then payback interest like they do in first bank, instead they just take the actual amount if successful. we had that discussion some months ago.

so I may have 1million naira in my account but write in the form that I want to Invest 1.2million at 18%
because I know that if successful, 984,000 will be deducted from my account. I was surprised to hear this, but he says he does it often at stanbic.

First bank usually takes the WHOLE amount at first which makes it impossible to do

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 2:23pm On Aug 22, 2017
question:
Hello Tbills gurus,

Go and report to GTBANK Head office 1st thing Tomorrow morning,stop going to branches.
The earlier you report, the better for you..
Please give us feedback after you have reported at the head office...
Don't waste any much time...

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 2:35pm On Aug 22, 2017
Phyde:

please, how do I get this true yield of 22%.?
is it possible with GTBANK..?
I'M interested please..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by MOM1(m): 2:41pm On Aug 22, 2017
Does anyone know the maximum amount transferrable from one first bank account to another without being charged?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:34pm On Aug 22, 2017
Gavrelino123:

please, how do I get this true yield of 22%.?
is it possible with GTBANK..?
I'M interested please..

First bank gives one the option of investing both the principal and upfront interest

(1) (2) (3) ... (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) ... (2233) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Kpboy1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.