Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,531 members, 7,847,203 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 12:42 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (400) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4482842 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) (402) (403) ... (2238) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by condomuser: 8:12am On Oct 01, 2017
The last time i checked on Eurobonds which had its subscription in February i was told i can only subscribe with USD contrary to the name EuroBond and the minimum subscription is $5000.

The interests is around 6% per annum and it is very much possible to cash in USD and run to Aboki grin

chukzyfcbb:
This eurobond talk has been sounding interesting so i did some little findings and this is what I understood about it, Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Mutual fund houses like FBN, don't place a fixed yield on your capital, instead the money grows as the Price/Unit increases. So regardless of the rate Nigeria offers her eurobond, it seems investors are at the mercy of the price of each unit.
Just like stocks where price per share gets up, so does your capital.

eg If FBN puts a Unit at a price of $100/Unit
and I purchase 100units which is 10thousand dollars

If the price/unit becomes $150/unit after 6months,
it means I am $5,000 richer.
If the price/unit remains stagnant, it means no gain.
(pics from First bank quest below)

This is how I understand it oo, I could be wrong.

Also knowing that proceeds of the eurobond would be sent to my domicillary account and not given to me cash, Problem could arise during withdrawal.

Banks are fond of hoarding dollars whenever one wants to withdraw from his/her domiciliary account, they prefer to pay the naira equivalent which means using the official rate lool.

Using the same example above, although I made 5k, wouldn't it be extra cool if I could withdraw the total sum in CASH with the hope of selling it off in the black market?
I could even make more if naira had devaluated by that time I want to sell off smiley

Oga feelamong and the experts here, am I correct in my assertion? If yes, How do you dribble the bank staffs to get the raw currency rather than the naira equivalent ,lol

Ps: Jan 2017 its $104/share
August 2017 its $109/share
not even a 5% increase
that's about 4.8% Gross Profit
after deduction of management fee as retail investor which is (1.5%) , my true profit would be 3.3% of my capital

Bros Feelamong abeg come explain oh.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mcci: 10:24am On Oct 01, 2017
condomuser:
The last time i checked on Eurobonds which had its subscription in February i was told i can only subscribe with USD contrary to the name EuroBond and the minimum subscription is $5000.

The interests is around 6% per annum and it is very much possible to cash in USD and run to Aboki grin

Please which bank or investment house did you approach? Do they have a website with relevant information on how to proceed?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by opomulero(m): 11:34am On Oct 01, 2017
Well eurobond is not for chicken hearted fellow, a banker "CATEGORICALLY" told me capital is not guaranteed.

Na purely forex, and i i want to do it, i will open dorm account and go buy $,£ or € from aboki that they "bank" wont fund d dorm accoubt for me with my naira: and if we calculate the difference btw aboki and official rate, na waya....

And d funniest thing is that they might likely not allow me withdraw foreign currencies from d dorm account...bla bla bla, they will simply tell me that there is no usd, euro or pound available, there4 leaving u with d option of converting it to naira at official rate ...and that 1 na loss, except i get on huge stolen money�

Butbhe advised tbills, mmf,.... And he discouraged me doing fixed deposit(but i can go ahead if d condition is ok by me)

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lilee2hot(f): 12:10pm On Oct 01, 2017
opomulero:
Well eurobond is not for chicken hearted fellow, a banker "CATEGORICALLY" told me capital is not guaranteed.

Na purely forex, and i i want to do it, i will open dorm account and go buy $,£ or € from aboki that they "bank" wont fund d dorm accoubt for me with my naira: and if we calculate the difference btw aboki and official rate, na waya....

And d funniest thing is that they might likely not allow me withdraw foreign currencies from d dorm account...bla bla bla, they will simply tell me that there is no usd, euro or pound available, there4 leaving u with d option of converting it to naira at official rate ...and that 1 na loss, except i get on huge stolen money�

Butbhe advised tbills, mmf,.... And he discouraged me doing fixed deposit(but i can go ahead if d condition is ok by me)
Wawuuuuuu!!! Osondu!!! shocked shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 12:33pm On Oct 01, 2017
opomulero:

It is a nonsense investment for people like us jor. We're happy as we dey build our silent millionaire journey, abi you no like am like that? grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:40pm On Oct 01, 2017
opomulero:

really which bank your friend dey work ...they need to fire him....banker dont advice you to do tb instead of fixed deposits 2.aboki fx is some time cheaper than bank rate cos of low cost of ruining .the euro bond was over subscribed by 2 billion dollars u think niggas in accenture ,kmpg anit smart they control world finance are know the best place and how to invest in emerging markets
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 2:29pm On Oct 01, 2017
It then means eurobond is very risky. If you bought dollar from aboki early this year when it was around N400 for 6% and @ maturity dollar is hovering around N360 as it is now.. You will definitely loose part of your principal. Even if everything remains same...what's obtainable in the local market seem to be more profitable for now... Investing $5000 @ 6% will give you the interest of $300 which when converted will be about have of whats in treasury bill now

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 5:09pm On Oct 01, 2017
freeman67:
It then means eurobond is very risky. If you bought dollar from aboki early this year when it was around N400 for 6% and @ maturity dollar is hovering around N360 as it is now.. You will definitely loose part of your principal. Even if everything remains same...what's obtainable in the local market seem to be more profitable for now... Investing $5000 @ 6% will give you the interest of $300 which when converted will be about have of whats in treasury bill now

Let's not jump into conclusion so early, we need more info on this eurobond tin. Information is gradually filtering in and more would come.

I have a dorm account and no banker has stopped me from collecting hard currency. Even if it's scarce ,they would plead with u and give u a date to come collect and this only happened when dollar was pursuing N525 earlier in the year. Then it was really scarce. Dont u know u can sue them for withholding ur funds.

I think the risk involved still has to do with dollar fluctuations. If Nigeria gets it right by truly encouraging local content then the Naira can truly appreciate , making it risky to buy hard currency. But govt would say one thing and the opposite would be the order of the day.

Investment is about weighing our options. So let's get all the angles to this.

Happy independa guys.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Wiseman456: 7:07pm On Oct 01, 2017
[quote author=condomuser post=60994889]The last time i checked on Eurobonds which had its subscription in February i was told i can only subscribe with USD contrary to the name EuroBond and the minimum subscription is $5000.

Please how did you go about this, which mutual fund or investment house did you approach. Kindly give more details
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by opomulero(m): 10:19pm On Oct 01, 2017
Alikote:
really which bank your friend dey work ...they need to fire him....banker dont advice you to do tb instead of fixed deposits 2.aboki fx is some time cheaper than bank rate cos of low cost of ruining .the euro bond was over subscribed by 2 billion dollars u think niggas in accenture ,kmpg anit smart they control world finance are know the best place and how to invest in emerging markets

Alikote, are u a banker?
You are the type that forced customers to do fd instead of tbills....i am a banker myself, i no go tell u to invest in a place where the profit is small shocked grin

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 6:35am On Oct 02, 2017
This thread is gradually derailing to eurobonds just because interest rate in TB is dropping. That's what kills us Nigerians. Impatience!!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 02, 2017
afroxyz:
This thread is gradually derailing to eurobonds just because interest rate in TB is dropping. That's what kills us Nigerians. Impatience!!!

help ask them to open thread for eurobond because for me and my household, we will remain faithful to tbills even as low as 10%

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Investnow2017: 12:19pm On Oct 02, 2017
afroxyz:

Thank you my dear. Even at 15% for TB, it is still very ok. What makes anyone to think that 18% and above is the norm? Can you get this anywhere else? Good investors always know that the rates fluctuate and are wise to take position at a premium time. I know of guys who have lost their jobs who live solely on TBills for fear of losing their entire capital in one form of business or the other.

A guy lost his job last year and was paid N35m as his terminal benefit. He invested all in TB at 18% and got N6,250,000 net as upfront interest. And this was from secondary market. Today he can pay himself average of N525k every month. But being now without a job, he feels he can manage with his family on N400k monthly thereby saving N125k monthly to care for emergency, etc.

Now his former colleague who got about N30m went into a business he heard pays huge returns. He was only concerned about the profit, never took time to learn about it. He went into all sorts of high risk investments without taking time to assess the risks. Today he is lamenting everyday. When he was told initially about the benefit of low risk investment like TBills he jettisoned the idea because he felt he could make more millions going into all sorts of investments he is told yield high profit.

A lot of people lose out due to greed. Good investors have always known that the current TBill rates are not sustainable so why the frenzy of jumping from here to there.

It is always good though to diversify ones portfolio but make sure no less than 60% of your capital is tied to low risk investments that would serve as a hedge in case of adverse economic conditions. Not selling off your TBills to go into high risk investment only to return empty handed.

That guy that bought the N35m Tbill took the upfront interest of N6.2m and bought MMF with stanbic Ibtc and the N6.2m too is equally yielding some returns while at the same time taking care of his monthly bills. The returns may not be fantastic, but wisdom dictates that once you have lost your job, you must scale down your expenses. And he will hardly go begging on his current monthly income of N400k which comes in effortlessly.

The business environment currently in Nigeria is dicey, one has got to be very circumspect before buying into any so-called high yielding investment idea. You dont just jump into a business just because you think someone else is making it through it. My former colleague went into poultry biz like that and ended up losing virtually all his birds within 3months!! Wish he had taken time to learn and understand the risks involved. Today he is lamenting telling everyone who cares that poultry biz is risky. Whereas that is not entirely true. His fault was that he didnt take time to understand the biz he was more concerned about HUGE PROFIT.

Risk assessment is a necessity in any biz venture. That is the starting point. Not size of profit.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:46pm On Oct 02, 2017
Treasury Bill Investment should stabilize @ 10% or there about by the end of the year.

The current rate we are enjoying are NOT and can NEVER be sustainable.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:50pm On Oct 02, 2017
Come to think of it, diversifing into Eurobond investment is not a bad idea considering inflation and stability of our currency.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 1:52pm On Oct 02, 2017
opomulero:

Exactly somebody just proved me correct.
I knew that the profit was dependent on the movement of the price per unit.
Also I knew that collecting dollars from your dorm account is tough.

Thank you for clearing my doubts
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 1:54pm On Oct 02, 2017
emmanuelewumi:
Come to think of it, diversifing into Eurobond investment is not a bad idea considering inflation and stability of our currency.

It is a bad idea cos it'll massively be like a bomb. Pls quote this later! Hinted from a confirmed reliable sources from at least 3 different banks high rank officers. Thank you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 2:06pm On Oct 02, 2017
emmanuelewumi:
Don't be fooled by the stable rates, next year is campaign year. Fg will start spending part of the reserves illegally on campaign things. Plus let's see how stable it can get this festive period because Our naira is always known to take a hit during the festive period.

The demand for hard currency always surge during that period, From Importers to Those who want a vacay outside, it always dip low.

so don't get your hopes high

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 2:09pm On Oct 02, 2017
condomuser:

You don't seem to understand me.
Yes eurobond will be offered at 6% but remember its a long term investment.
However if you decide to visit any of these mutual fund houses like I mentioned, there is nothing like fixed yield, 6%,7% or whatever.

Your money is tied to the Price/Unit
Reason is because you are given the flexibility of having to withdraw your money even after 6months. Unlike buying directly from FG where your money will be tied for years, so think of it as a secondary market for euro bond but here nothing like Fixed yield.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:18pm On Oct 02, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

Don't be fooled by the stable rates, next year is campaign year. Fg will start spending part of the reserves illegally on campaign things. Plus let's see how stable it can get this festive period because Our naira is always known to take a hit during the festive period.

The demand for hard currency always surge during that period, From Importers to Those who want a vacay outside, it always dip low.

so don't get your hopes high

That is why it is not a bad idea to diversify into some foreign currency denominated Investments and assets.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 2:24pm On Oct 02, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

That is why it is not a bad idea to diversify into some foreign currency denominated Investments and assets.
You are better off as currency speculatorsmiley
If you are certain that the naira will plummet this festive period. Buy now and hold.
but remember speculating is dangerous :-)
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 2:25pm On Oct 02, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

That is why it is not a bad idea to diversify into NAIRA is the BEST foreign currency denominated Investments and assets.
cheesy
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:33pm On Oct 02, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

You are better off as currency speculatorsmiley
If you are certain that the naira will plummet this festive period. Buy now and hold.
but remember speculating is dangerous :-)

I am NOT speculating, just diversifying. I am into Treasury Bill, Real Estate, stock market, bond and personal businesses.

Government should develop the commodity exchange, if this is done I will also invest in the commodity market.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:38pm On Oct 02, 2017
I investors who have the opportunity to buy 364days TB, should buy now while offers last. Returns of sub 10% from TB, this time next year will not be an aberration.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:41pm On Oct 02, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

I am NOT speculating, just diversifying. I am into Treasury Bill, Real Estate, stock market, bond and personal businesses.

Government should develop the commodity exchange, if this is done I will also invest in the commodity market.

The commodity market is currently not regulated, people are making returns of over 30% from this market.

When SEC structures and regulates the market, yours truly will definitely invest.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 2:42pm On Oct 02, 2017
emmanuelewumi:
I investors who have the opportunity to buy 364days TB, should buy now while offers last. Returns of sub 10% from TB, this time next year will not be an aberration.

So what happened to investors like us that bought 177days TB? shocked

Is it possible to top up TB just like MMF?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:53pm On Oct 02, 2017
dotcomnamename:

So what happened to investors like us that bought 177days TB? shocked

If you have funds you can still buy longer tenors.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 3:16pm On Oct 02, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

TB I know
Stock market I know
Bond I know
But how do u invest in real estate. Is it to buy land/property and wait for them to appreciate or u take %Off the sales of property or u become an agent. How does one really do real estate investment with limited funds.
Educate me pls

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:38pm On Oct 02, 2017
zamirikpo:

TB I know
Stock market I know
Bond I know
But how do u invest in real estate. Is it to buy land/property and wait for them to appreciate or u take %Off the sales of property or u become an agent. How does one really do real estate investment with limited funds.
Educate me pls

I Invest primarily for cash flow, capital appreciation is secondary.
I Invest for dividends, rental income, interest and profit sharing.

I won't advice starters to invest in real estate because of the quantum of fund needed to invest in it in Nigeria.

But as your investment portfolios start growing in leaps and bounds it is very to diversify into real estate to preserve capital against inflation. Land bought for 100k @ Ajah in 2000, now sell for between 10m and 15m.

Search for my alternate nairaland monicker ie "manie". to read more about me.

Thank you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 3:41pm On Oct 02, 2017
emmanuelewumi:

I Invest primarily for cash flow, capital appreciation is secondary.
I Invest for dividends, rental income, interest and profit sharing.

I won't advice starters to invest in real estate because of the quantum of fund needed to invest in it in Nigeria.

But as your investment portfolios start growing in leaps and bounds it is very to diversify into real estate to preserve capital against inflation. Land bought for 100k @ Ajah in 2000, now sell for between 10m and 15m.

Search for my alternate nairaland monicker ie "manie". to read more about me.

Thank you.

Ok, . Thank u

(1) (2) (3) ... (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) (402) (403) ... (2238) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Arijude(m), Hero2t and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.