Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,597 members, 7,851,018 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:17 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4489352 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (2240) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:45pm On Nov 27, 2013
Elai147:

Bros I do not invest in 364 days bills as I may regularly need to move funds from Tbills to stock market and vice versa. Besides, if inflation moves higher than or closer to the return on your investment and remain sustained, it lowers the value of your investments.

As for 2015, there is a general believe that presidential election, in particular, has a way of affecting money market and stock market. But what I do is to make sure I invest the safe- diversifying (estate, money market, stock market, etc) and also keeping an eye on political headlines because I no fit shout. I think this method will work no matter who wins the election. The only thing I fear is the presumption by some people that the country may split come 2015. I wonder what effect this will have on investments.

@Elai147 Let Assume 2015 the Country Split,How would this Affect Investment?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 6:55pm On Nov 27, 2013
timothy001:

If the country goes to war, your investment has to wait until peace returns. That could be any number of years

If the country splits as part of the peace returning, then you will have to approach the government of the country you go with as a citizen to redeem the investment

All in all there will be years of waiting with no guarantees
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:09pm On Nov 27, 2013
Thanks @walcolm,But if the Bank still exist after the war.With proper ID .I think the bank should be able to Give me my money.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 8:58pm On Nov 27, 2013
Treasury bills are not issued by the bank. They are issued by governments and even if the bank that facilitated your purchase doesn't exist after the war, you still get your money from the government
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Xlarge42(m): 9:08pm On Nov 27, 2013
Oh God thank you.
I have been looking for you guys.
this made me reactivate my dead account (over 4 years).
going to bid next week Wednesday with Fidelity bank
was thinking I should bid with 10.6

so let's say its successful at 10.6 for 91 days, amend my capital is 400,000k. what should be my interest. (if the marginal rate is 10.7)

Thanks guys would really love an answer.
also a friend of mine has 160k (he does not need) is it better to do 91 repeatedly or 364 days.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mymadam(m): 9:35pm On Nov 27, 2013
walcolm:

...All in all there will be years of waiting with no guarantees

Spot on. Solution? Pure & simple... Start investing in your village today! God bless Nigeria.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 27, 2013
Xlarge42: Oh God thank you.
I have been looking for you guys.
this made me reactivate my dead account (over 4 years).
going to bid next week Wednesday with Fidelity bank
was thinking I should bid with 10.6

so let's say its successful at 10.6 for 91 days, amend my capital is 400,000k. what should be my interest. (if the marginal rate is 10.7)

Thanks guys would really love an answer.
also a friend of mine has 160k (he does not need) is it better to do 91 repeatedly or 364 days.

Ur Interest is N10,600 at rate of 10.6 for 91 days in the amount of 400k.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bodmax: 1:21am On Nov 28, 2013
Your sweat will be long gone if you know what to do and when to in the business world. The "guess" game of business investment is due to lack of requisite business skill, financial intelligence and money management skill in all facet of investment. It has to stop and how is the question that the International Wealth Conference on Wealth Creation will answer. It is a leverage for business connectivity, international leverage and global focus into business. www.internationalwealthconference.org
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 2:13am On Nov 28, 2013
9free:
My Oga, I have been pondering on this for quite some time. I pray it does not happen but be that as it may I have decided that from March 2014 I start converting 70% of my Assets to cash(Dollars not Naira) just in case. I had also wanted to diversify into some Real Estate(Flipping of Land) but the thought and fear of the bolded scared the hell out of me.

timothy001:

walcolm:

If the country goes to war, your investment has to wait until peace returns. That could be any number of years
If the country splits as part of the peace returning, then you will have to approach the government of the country you go with as a citizen to redeem the investment
All in all there will be years of waiting with no guarantees

It is the real estate investment that scares me the most. Normally, international boundaries should not prevent foreign citizens from owning properties in other countries but let's hope this will be the case in our country if it should split up. If the split does not happen peacefully one will have to wait for the dust to settle before thinking of which government to approach for your investment as Walcolm rightly stated. But I am sure there will be interventions from other nations, the dust will eventually settle and everything should fall into place.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mpeace(m): 8:56am On Nov 28, 2013
Who told you guys that the country will split. It appears that this same rumour always comes when ever we approach election year. I remember that of 1993 when many ppl sold their properties in the north in anticipation of a breakup, and @ the end nothing happened. Friends, forget about that split thing. The worse that can happen in 2015 is a military takeover or for an opposition party to take over nothing else.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nairaxchan: 8:48am On Dec 01, 2013
nairaxchan: Damn made the same mistake as using my current account for my TB investment with Guaranty Trust bank, damn it, the commission that will be removed later on is going to be high oooo, damn it,

anyway gtb is excellent, my interest is in my account, as it was the discounted amount that was deducted,so i do not know who is complaining about gtb bank ooooo

suprisingly the end of the month came and gtb did not charge me cot on my treasurybill investment dancing azonto, gtb just saved me
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Lawmann: 10:08pm On Dec 01, 2013
please,can someone tell me the next bidding date.thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Desanta(m): 7:15am On Dec 02, 2013
Lawmann: please,can someone tell me the next bidding date.thanks

December 4th, i.e 2 days from today. However some banks prefer that. you submit your bid on Tuesday.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by AmeLonRo(m): 12:18pm On Dec 02, 2013
For the sake of the people who do not know about bill and how to go about it, can you place a step by step guide here again? Just for them...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mrsolutionm(m): 9:38pm On Dec 02, 2013
Pls am a newbie and I have a question if I invest like 5million does it mean I will automatically gain return of 400 thousand plus and my capital?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mrsolutionm(m): 9:43pm On Dec 02, 2013
After the 90 days?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 9:56pm On Dec 02, 2013
mrsolutionm: Pls am a newbie and I have a question if I invest like 5million does it mean I will automatically gain return of 400 thousand plus and my capital?
mrsolutionm: After the 90 days?

The interest is per annum. So you will have to divide the overall interest by 4 to get the interest for 91 days. 5 million naira will give you around 140 K for 91 days T-bills. It could be more or less depending on the stop rate for the auction.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by silvoice(m): 5:53pm On Dec 03, 2013
Elai147:

The interest is per annum. So you will have to divide the overall interest by 4 to get the interest for 91 days. 5 million naira will give you around 140 K for 91 days T-bills. It could be more or less depending on the stop rate for the auction.
pls someone should clarify me on this Tb. assuming i invest 1m at 10% for 91 days. My intrest of 100,000 is discounted upfront; meaning that. 900,000 is taking from my account 4 Tb. At maturity what amount wil be credited to my a/c and what amount wil be divided by 4.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Seun(m): 6:08pm On Dec 03, 2013
silvoice:
pls someone should clarify me on this Tb. assuming i invest 1m at 10% for 91 days. My intrest of 100,000 is discounted upfront; meaning that. 900,000 is taking from my account 4 Tb. At maturity what amount wil be credited to my a/c and what amount wil be divided by 4.
If the rate is 10% (per annum), 1/4 of that or 25,000 naira will be your interest for 91 days, not 100,000. And at maturity you will get 1m.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by silvoice(m): 8:36am On Dec 04, 2013
Seun:
If the rate is 10% (per annum), 1/4 of that or 25,000 naira will be your interest for 91 days, not 100,000. And at maturity you will get 1m.
thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 10:17am On Dec 04, 2013
Tassembly:

Firstbank can credit your interest anytime.depend on your branch. I use the ikeja branch.sometimes 2weeks after bidding they won't credit me,they do theirs anytime they like but they will surely do it. Sometimes until i call my account manager before they remember to credit my interest. I continue with them coz of the low amount they accept for tbills.
Are you for real,who told you gtbank doesn't do instant payment to other banks,do you operate online. If you operate online,and haven't added instant payment to your services,just go to request service and add it. Instant payment is done to other banks through online banking,i do it everyday,people have sent like huge sum 1m within a seconds,they charge 106naira only for instant payment.where are you getting your 26090charges from. Once you login to your gtb acct online at the left corner,scroll down to the last where you see transfer.you will see instant payment to other bank.always use that.it get to other bank immediately within a seconds.

Stop using first bank, use first capital, they will credit you in two days and you will need not to call anyone.
The delay is that first bank normally route your transaction through first capital, so why don't you go direct? also the first capital stop rate doesn't err, so no need for you to submit any bid.
they just tell you they got the stop rate for you, do i really need to ask how they do it? of course not grin grin grin

NB: if you submit a bid, they will gladly do your wish but i know better to roll with gods, seems like most people are just knowing about T-bills.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:00pm On Dec 04, 2013
jp philips:

Stop using first bank, use first capital, they will credit you in two days and you will need not to call anyone.
The delay is that first bank normally route your transaction through first capital, so why don't you go direct? also the first capital stop rate doesn't err, so no need for you to submit any bid.
they just tell you they got the stop rate for you, do i really need to ask how they do it? of course not grin grin grin

NB: if you submit a bid, they will gladly do your wish but i know better to roll with gods, seems like most people are just knowing about T-bills.

Never knew FBN Capital is now into Treasury Bill investment, I do my TB investment through FBN stock exchange branch. FBN TB investment is done at FBN head quarters.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:28pm On Dec 04, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

Never knew FBN Capital is now into Treasury Bill investment, I do my TB investment through FBN stock exchange branch. FBN TB investment is done at FBN head quarters.

I stand to be corrected FBN Capital is not among the institutions authorized to trade the TB, bidding by FBN Capital will go through FBN hea office.

The Institutions that bid for investors are the banks and the discount houses. FBNH operates a holding structure each company in the structure have their own management and boards.
Transactions between FBN Capital and FBN are basically on commercial basis, as a matter of fact FBN Capital operate banking accounts with FBN, because FBN Capital is not a deposit receiving institution.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kc007(m): 4:44pm On Dec 04, 2013
I applied for TB throu FBN 1week before last bid date in Nov, my account wasn't debited untill 29th Nov, which i guess is for today's bidding date. Is it possible you could apply on time & don't get it processed? Now they've debited my account ahead of today's bidding, when am i suppose to get interest credited? Anybody with useful info, please help. Kinda new into TB.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 8:18pm On Dec 04, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

I stand to be corrected FBN Capital is not among the institutions authorized to trade the TB, bidding by FBN Capital will go through FBN hea office.

The Institutions that bid for investors are the banks and the discount houses. FBNH operates a holding structure each company in the structure have their own management and boards.
Transactions between FBN Capital and FBN are basically on commercial basis, as a matter of fact FBN Capital operate banking accounts with FBN, because FBN Capital is not a deposit receiving institution.

Exactly but now I am surprised most stockbroking firms are buying TBills for their clients. It is my understanding that only discount houses and banks are allowed to trade on TBills. So I think most of these other firms sell to their clients from their company's purchased bills.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:09am On Dec 05, 2013
Elai147:

Exactly but now I am surprised most stockbroking firms are buying TBills for their clients. It is my understanding that only discount houses and banks are allowed to trade on TBills. So I think most of these other firms sell to their clients from their company's purchased bills.

They buy for there customers through there bank, and they will charge between 0.5% to 0.75%. Meristem Securities use Zenith Bank for TB investment for there customers and the minimum they will accept in order to create room for their own commission is N 1 million.

BGL Securities uses UBA for TB investment for their clients.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:12am On Dec 05, 2013
Elai147:

They use the clients money to buy through the broker's bank. I stand to be corrected FBN Capital uses FBN for their TB investment.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 1:55pm On Dec 05, 2013
emmanuel ewumi:

They buy for there customers through there bank, and they will charge between 0.5% to 0.75%. Meristem Securities use Zenith Bank for TB investment for there customers and the minimum they will accept in order to create room for their own commission is N 1 million.

BGL Securities uses UBA for TB investment for their clients.

emmanuel ewumi:

They use the clients money to buy through the broker's bank. I stand to be corrected FBN Capital uses FBN for their TB investment.

Thanks jare for the info... So why should an investor go through these companies (and pay extra commission charge) when he/she can buy directly from banks and discount houses? Are these bills actually purchased in the investors name or the company's name? Also, who credits investors account at maturity- the stockbrokers or the bank they use? If investors accounts are credited by the stockbroking firms then it is possible the bills were actually bought in the company's name and not the investor's name. If this is true, it is the stockbroking firms that are actually covered by FG/CBN's guarantee on TBills, not the investors. So if these companies go bankrupt what happens to investors capital? Because I don't understand why a company that is not a marketer of Tbills will be posing as middleman or agent and investors will be purchasing Tbills via these companies. This is just a "what if" scenario as I only buy my Tbills through banks. Perhaps those that buy through stockbroking firms can clarify me on the above issue.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nairaxchan: 4:14pm On Dec 05, 2013
Please anyone with idea of treasury bill, i need answer to this question.

I have invested for up to some weeks and i am i to get a certificate or document ,and if yes how many weeks after your investment did you get the document, and how did you collect it
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 4:38pm On Dec 05, 2013
nairaxchan: Please anyone with idea of treasury bill, i need answer to this question.

I have invested for up to some weeks and i am i to get a certificate or document ,and if yes how many weeks after your investment did you get the document, and how did you collect it

Yes you can get a certificate for your investment but you may have to request for it. Most banks will not send you the certificate unless you request for it.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 9:07am On Dec 06, 2013
Elai147:

Thanks jare for the info... So why should an investor go through these companies (and pay extra commission charge) when he/she can buy directly from banks and discount houses? Are these bills actually purchased in the investors name or the company's name? Also, who credits investors account at maturity- the stockbrokers or the bank they use? If investors accounts are credited by the stockbroking firms then it is possible the bills were actually bought in the company's name and not the investor's name. If this is true, it is the stockbroking firms that are actually covered by FG/CBN's guarantee on TBills, not the investors. So if these companies go bankrupt what happens to investors capital? Because I don't understand why a company that is not a marketer of Tbills will be posing as middleman or agent and investors will be purchasing Tbills via these companies. This is just a "what if" scenario as I only buy my Tbills through banks. Perhaps those that buy through stockbroking firms can clarify me on the above issue.

Your post is quite spot on...we Nigerians like to feed off the ignorance of others to make undeserved profit and coupled with weak or non existent regulatory oversight by those who organizations that are supposed to provide such

There are designated banks and discount houses licensed to provide the treasury bills investment services to the populace. People should avoid stockbrokers or any other person who is not a direct source
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Toyatc: 10:07am On Dec 06, 2013
Hello everyone. I hope you are all doing great?

Please guys i have an issue and i don't know how to resolve it. My 91days TB deal matured yesterday and the bank credited my account accordingly. But to my supprise, at about 3 hours later (about 7pm), i got another alert of debit claiming that it is for a TB purchase. I just called the bank this morning and i was told that they thought i said they should repurchase. Can you imagine? I did not give such instruction and my plan was to cool down till next year and carefully make my investment plans. As a matter of fact i am considering another investment possibility. Even if i have to buy it will be for 182 days and not 91 days. But now this people made their decision and bought at a rate that i did not even approve of.
I want them to reverse it because it was not my instruction and the guy is claiming that it is difficult to reverse and i would have to go to their office which will be next week. Will it not be too late by then? I am just pissed and i am guessing these guys have something to gain if not why the rush. Was there even a deal yesterday?

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (2240) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.