Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,537 members, 7,823,340 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (641) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4451131 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (638) (639) (640) (641) (642) (643) (644) ... (2230) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 12:16pm On Dec 03, 2018
GonFreecss1:

I also apologize for frustrating you with my opinion, though I need to point out it's not out of fear for naira devaluation. I am a small exporter to an extent basically pushing what my power carries, so my only fear is business not doing good, not naira devaluation. Can I also point out I am invested in Treasury bills too? I have my hands in Federal government bonds and some corporate and state bonds? Nigerian Stocks?

I never said people should run away from naira. I just said people should hedge, I also advised people to try and earn in forex, because I believe all this will help the economy and people in return, but like the other guy pointed out, my opinion is not a popular one, but at least it's just an opinion. I hope we are cool? Because I am definitely cool with you and everyone no matter their opinion.

the way you cool hot water is amazing.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jejebabaa: 12:40pm On Dec 03, 2018
Kudos to all for the intellectual arguments we had here. Both parties are right. I respect AwesomeJ and others for taking up GonFreecss1. GonFreecss1 is arguing based on reality which might be difficult for all to understand. GonFreecss1 has been arguing based on the conspiracy of the rich and i recommend people to find time to read this book (Why-We-Want-You-To-Be-Rich by-Donald-Trump and Robert-Kiyosaki) in order to comprehend GonFreecss1 views and perspective.
Its a capitalist world we live in and we were all shortchanged when the gold standard was abandoned. The US government held the $35 per ounce price until August 15, 1971, when President Richard Nixon announced that the United States would no longer convert dollars to gold at a fixed value, thus completely abandoning the gold standard. The biggest scam in history happened when other countries decided to have their reserve in US dollars which made the USA the world economy headquarter and the Fed started printing US dollars as they like and now the US national debt is above 21 trillion dollars which the government can never pay.
In Nigeria, its so unfortunate that we run a mono economy that depends on oil, naturally the demands for dollars will outstrip its supplies with time if the government does not fix this and take us off the Petrodollars. The Gulf Countries were smarter and decided to peg their currencies against the US dollars as this will help them to take off devaluation and only tackle inflation but in Nigeria, we have two challenges to tackle and they are devaluation and inflation because we do not have the financial war chest to peg our currency to US dollars like GCC countries.
This is why its so important for a smart investor in Nigeria to know when to hedge his naira if he doesnt want to be wiped out by devaluation.
There is absolutely nothing we can do about inflation, even USA can not do anything about it. $1,000 in USA 20 years ago is now more than $8000 in todays USA money. This is why some of us just dont keep our money in the bank in order not to bleed to death and we decided to invest it somewhere to beat inflation.
In reality, our Naira has been doing badly tracking from 1983 when it used to be 1 naira equals $1.38 and fast forward to today, its now $1 equals 370 naira which means our naira has lost over 51,000% in value in 35 years which was an average of 1,457% loss per year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_naira
Kindly note, this should not be a recommendation to buy/sell dollars as past performance is not a guarantee of future result. For better understanding, you can consult your financial advisers.
Best of luck to us all.

9 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Infinitisi(m): 12:51pm On Dec 03, 2018
To all and sundry.

The way you say something is just as important as what you have to say. Get the first part wrong and the second part will lose it's value.

#foodforthought

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jidobaba(m): 4:12pm On Dec 03, 2018
Very nice round of arguments.
My decision is to invest tbills until 6months - give or take - into this time next year when I see naira stabilised at 320-350/$ (Dangote Refinery early 2020 timeline, also watch for sharp drop in tbill rates - CBN has access to best predictions, indices etc). At this point I liquidate and convert totally to the dollar domiciliary account to hedge against inflation.
Wouldn't hurt to invest in EuroBonds/USBonds.
Anyone with guidelines on how?

I also plan to have a completely seperate substantial amount in bitcoin(which should be reasonably stable by then, hopefully with nowhere to go but up).

But count me out of overpriced Nigerian real estate with omonile, landgrabbers and disputes. Just not worth it.
Want my money in the palm of my hands every time.

^For reference purposes.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 4:56pm On Dec 03, 2018
unite4real:

the way you cool hot water is amazing.

Lol. Sir, diplomacy is the name of the game.

We are all here to not lose our wealth or basically create more wealth not fight because of difference in opinion. grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 4:58pm On Dec 03, 2018
Jejebabaa:
Kudos to all for the intellectual arguments we had here. Both parties are right. I respect AwesomeJ and others for taking up GonFreecss1. GonFreecss1 is arguing based on reality which might be difficult for all to understand. GonFreecss1 has been arguing based on the conspiracy of the rich and i recommend people to find time to read this book (Why-We-Want-You-To-Be-Rich by-Donald-Trump and Robert-Kiyosaki) in order to comprehend GonFreecss1 views and perspective.
Its a capitalist world we live in and we were all shortchanged when the gold standard was abandoned. The US government held the $35 per ounce price until August 15, 1971, when President Richard Nixon announced that the United States would no longer convert dollars to gold at a fixed value, thus completely abandoning the gold standard. The biggest scam in history happened when other countries decided to have their reserve in US dollars which made the USA the world economy headquarter and the Fed started printing US dollars as they like and now the US national debt is above 21 trillion dollars which the government can never pay.
In Nigeria, its so unfortunate that we run a mono economy that depends on oil, naturally the demands for dollars will outstrip its supplies with time if the government does not fix this and take us off the Petrodollars. The Gulf Countries were smarter and decided to peg their currencies against the US dollars as this will help them to take off devaluation and only tackle inflation but in Nigeria, we have two challenges to tackle and they are devaluation and inflation because we do not have the financial war chest to peg our currency to US dollars like GCC countries.
This is why its so important for a smart investor in Nigeria to know when to hedge his naira if he doesnt want to be wiped out by devaluation.
There is absolutely nothing we can do about inflation, even USA can not do anything about it. $1,000 in USA 20 years ago is now more than $8000 in todays USA money. This is why some of us just dont keep our money in the bank in order not to bleed to death and we decided to invest it somewhere to beat inflation.
In reality, our Naira has been doing badly tracking from 1983 when it used to be 1 naira equals $1.38 and fast forward to today, its now $1 equals 370 naira which means our naira has lost over 51,000% in value in 35 years which was an average of 1,457% loss per year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_naira
Kindly note, this should not be a recommendation to buy/sell dollars as past performance is not a guarantee of future result. For better understanding, you can consult your financial advisers.
Best of luck to us all.

A point in a point. Well said sir. You understood my point quite clearly, perfectly infact.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 5:03pm On Dec 03, 2018
jidobaba:
Very nice round of arguments.
My decision is to invest tbills until 6months - give or take - into this time next year when I see naira stabilised at 320-350/$ (Dangote Refinery early 2020 timeline, also watch for sharp drop in tbill rates - CBN has access to best predictions, indices etc). At this point I liquidate and convert totally to the dollar domiciliary account to hedge against inflation.
Wouldn't hurt to invest in EuroBonds/USBonds.
Anyone with guidelines on how?

I also plan to have a completely seperate substantial amount in bitcoin(which should be reasonably stable by then, hopefully with nowhere to go but up).

But count me out of overpriced Nigerian real estate with omonile, landgrabbers and disputes. Just not worth it.
Want my money in the palm of my hands every time.

^For reference purposes.

1. About the Eurobond fund, you can do this with Stanbic IBTC asset management, FBN Quest asset management or even United Capital.

2. About real estate, you said my mind. Me and my family have had a nasty experience I have learnt a huge lesson from. The pain till date is still raw. Real Estate in Nigeria in my opinion is risky. From Omonile, to using government land, to them being overpriced, it's just not worth it to me.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ACAN(m): 6:30pm On Dec 03, 2018
MARKET REVIEW FOR THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW0qixIxMxI&feature=youtu.be
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jidobaba(m): 7:04pm On Dec 03, 2018
GonFreecss1:

1. About the Eurobond fund, you can do this with Stanbic IBTC asset management, FBN Quest asset management or even United Capital.

2. About real estate, you said my mind. Me and my family have had a nasty experience I have learnt a huge lesson from. The pain till date is still raw. Real Estate in Nigeria in my opinion is risky. From Omonile, to using government land, to them being overpriced, it's just not worth it to me.
Thanks chief.

About buying land. I used to think family and friends who got their hands burned didn't do 'due diligence' or sign proper agreements. It was until I tried it for myself that I realised the game is rigged. My lawyers were advising settle this person, settle that person, if we go to court it will take 10 years, you will end up spending much more. Lawyer oo wey I pay for deed etc. People telling me it's 'normal' to have disputes over land that I paid for in totality plus registered survey. We are still arguing over that plot of land to date. I seriously considered having the other party offed out of frustration. That was when I knew I needed a break.
This is Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 7:06pm On Dec 03, 2018
CBN
RELEASE
Q1 ,2019
CALENDER
BIKO....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 7:41pm On Dec 03, 2018
jidobaba:

Thanks chief.

About buying land. I used to think family and friends who got their hands burned didn't do 'due diligence' or sign proper agreements. It was until I tried it for myself that I realised the game is rigged. My lawyers were advising settle this person, settle that person, if we go to court it will take 10 years, you will end up spending much more. Lawyer oo wey I pay for deed etc. People telling me it's 'normal' to have disputes over land that I paid for in totality plus registered survey. We are still arguing over that plot of land to date. I seriously considered having the other party offed out of frustration. That was when I knew I needed a break.
This is Nigeria.

My brother, I understand your pain and I am glad you didn't fall into that temptation to do the wrong thing.

Some people advised my family to go and put Juju in the land so anyone who enters will off. I could not believe what I was hearing. Immediately I heard that, I said anything that will make a human stoop so low to lose his or her humanity is definitely not worth it. Land? I run away from it! Anything real estate in Nigeria? Nope! I don't want thank you! Land dispute of any kind? Please run! The way people kill themselves is not worth it. If you like collect C of O and do all the jagba jagba the Nigerian system lacks the infrastructure to make real estate fair and well planned. Not saying people shouldn't own land, just know what you own and the risks associated with it.

On that note, Tbills vs Land? Hahahaha. I will always pick my Tbills thank you very much.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 9:54pm On Dec 03, 2018
GonFreecss1:

My brother, I understand your pain and I am glad you didn't fall into that temptation to do the wrong thing.

Some people advised my family to go and put Juju in the land so anyone who enters will off. I could not believe what I was hearing. Immediately I heard that, I said anything that will make a human stoop so low to lose his or her humanity is definitely not worth it. Land? I run away from it! Anything real estate in Nigeria? Nope! I don't want thank you! Land dispute of any kind? Please run! The way people kill themselves is not worth it. If you like collect C of O and do all the jagba jagba the Nigerian system lacks the infrastructure to make real estate fair and well planned. Not saying people shouldn't own land, just know what you own and the risks associated with it.

On that note, Tbills vs Land? Hahahaha. I will always pick my Tbills thank you very much.

U are welcomed. Lol
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Indigbo: 11:44pm On Dec 03, 2018
GonFreecss1:

u people are scary on this thread, now u neraly make me pee, am currently negotiating an existing 4 beds deal in mainland lagos, though my lawyer insisted he shud finish his research if it's under govt acquisition before we proceed to payment stage, he also advised i invited pros structural eng to check it out, but hearing this ur write up is like someone telling me that the person beside me is ebola carrier shocked
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pxjosh(m): 11:44pm On Dec 03, 2018
Mhenn this thread is low-key one of the best threads I've followed on Nairaland.

The last T-Bills I bought will mature in a few days. Do I have to go to the bank to request that my account be credited, or it's a purely automatic process?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Indigbo: 12:19am On Dec 04, 2018
pxjosh:
Mhenn this thread is low-key one of the best threads I've followed on Nairaland.

The last T-Bills I bought will mature in a few days. Do I have to go to the bank to request that my account be credited, or it's a purely automatic process?

i think its automatic but wait for the experts

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Desanta(m): 12:55am On Dec 04, 2018
pxjosh:

Purely automatic unless you tick roll over at the inception of the investment.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pxjosh(m): 1:05am On Dec 04, 2018
Indigbo:

i think its automatic but wait for the experts
Okay thank you
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pxjosh(m): 1:05am On Dec 04, 2018
Desanta:

Purely automatic unless you tick roll over at the inception of the investment.
Thank you
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 6:21am On Dec 04, 2018
T-Bills Yield Rises as CBN Mops up N55b via OMO Auction, Retains Rates
https://businesspost.ng/2018/12/04/t-bills-yield-rises-as-cbn-mops-up-n55b-via-omo-auction-retains-rates/
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by SOLAWY1234(f): 7:35am On Dec 04, 2018
Please gurus in the house when is the next Treasury bills primary auction? The calendar reads that 29/11 was the last one. Has the market closed for the year? Thanks for your response.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mcci: 7:53am On Dec 04, 2018
SOLAWY1234:
Please gurus in the house when is the next Treasury bills primary auction? The calendar reads that 29/11 was the last one. Has the market closed for the year? Thanks for your response.

It has closed for the year.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by watzz: 7:56am On Dec 04, 2018
Goodmorning all, please when is the next window, I want to invest in Tbills. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 7:58am On Dec 04, 2018
SOLAWY1234:

We r waiting for the 2019 Q1 calender......i hope it comes out early enough.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 9:05am On Dec 04, 2018
needful:

U are welcomed. Lol

Hahahahahaha. Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 9:08am On Dec 04, 2018
Indigbo:

u people are scary on this thread, now u neraly make me pee, am currently negotiating an existing 4 beds deal in mainland lagos, though my lawyer insisted he shud finish his research if it's under govt acquisition before we proceed to payment stage, he also advised i invited pros structural eng to check it out, but hearing this ur write up is like someone telling me that the person beside me is ebola carrier shocked

Bro. Sorry for scaring you. All we are saying is do due diligence. In fact the due diligence you are doing now is not enough, do more, lol! If it is to talk to the governor of Lagos state to be assured and get a document that the land is yours and not under a Government road or plan etc, please do. I know it's as if it's too much, it's just the pain we went through that is talking. Do all the diligence you can. Better safe than sorry.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lgboks(m): 2:17pm On Dec 04, 2018
Jonathan:

Exactly!
I was trying to introduce one of my friends to TBills/Federal Government of Nigeria bonds /mutual funds and the likes. I even tried to persuade him to open a stockbrocking account . I swear the way he reacted eh !
Dude probably wasn’t convinced he won’t lose his money or something. I don’t understand.
I will never try to persuade anybody again to buy securities or even give anyone any financial advice .
Except my kids grin
please how can I open a stockbroking account
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jejebabaa: 3:33pm On Dec 04, 2018
lgboks:
please how can I open a stockbroking account

This is appropriate thread to ask your question.
https://www.nairaland.com/1131485/nigerian-stock-exchange-market-pick/4152

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by eagleeye2: 11:17pm On Dec 04, 2018
mcci:

It has closed for the year.
but I can still buy from secondary market? Right.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by go4value(m): 12:25am On Dec 05, 2018
Abeg i just join this class today oo.. Am ready for 2019..will read and learn from the gurus.. grin investments on my mind.. I hope election doesnt affect it
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 5:48am On Dec 05, 2018
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by eagleeye2: 10:30am On Dec 05, 2018
eagleeye2:
Abeg make una answer me
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Internetboy: 10:37am On Dec 05, 2018
eagleeye2:

Yes sure. You can always buy from Secondary market.

(1) (2) (3) ... (638) (639) (640) (641) (642) (643) (644) ... (2230) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.