Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,949 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4449120 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (2230) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:29am On Nov 23, 2014
pappilo:

My bills mature soon and I'll be putting in a bid at 12.25% on 4 Dec.

I would have gone a bit higher, say 13% but I need to be successful otherwise Xmas go dull.

Thanks to Feelamong for opening this thread and to the others for their contributions. This thread has financially blessed me and has helped me to learn to save money.

I would have used the money I invested in Tbills to buy a new car which I didnt need and it would have lost half its value by now. Instead this thread prompted me to do something different. I took the plunge and went to Naija and I have not one regret. I have made just short of N1 million over the past 18 months and my capital still dey kankpe (subject to no civil war)

I still get that itch for a new car but my money being tied down and so far away means na for dream and picture I go dey drive that new car.

as at december last yr, the exchange rate from USD to naira was 158.
Now its 178

if you changed dollars to naira and had 12% as interest, you even lost so much money.
Do you know of any investment that would bring good returns while protecting your capital in foreign currency.
Fidelity looks good but im not sure what its going on for now.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pappilo(m): 11:45am On Nov 23, 2014
Chillisauce:

as at december last yr, the exchange rate from USD to naira was 158.
Now its 178

if you changed dollars to naira and had 12% as interest, you even lost so much money.
Do you know of any investment that would bring good returns while protecting your capital in foreign currency.
Fidelity looks good but im not sure what its going on for now.

This is a good point.

This is something I put into consideration. I changed my money at N248 and if I wanted to buy now it is N280. The good thing for me is I have no plans to change back to £s anytime soon. Like I said earlier, the money I have invested in T bills will have just sat in my account (If my fingers didnt get itchy) or more than likely would have been spent on a car.

I mentioned treasury bills to some people on a car forum. They obviously thought it was a scam that you can get 10-13% in Nigeria and up to 22% in Ghana. Some wanted to have a go but I let them know that because I am originally from Nigeria, I can afford to leave my money indefinitely in Nigeria but they on the other hand would be short term investors and there was a chance they may not get back the full capital due to exchange rate variations
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:51pm On Nov 23, 2014
pappilo:

This is a good point.

This is something I put into consideration. I changed my money at N248 and if I wanted to buy now it is N280. The good thing for me is I have no plans to change back to £s anytime soon. Like I said earlier, the money I have invested in T bills will have just sat in my account (If my fingers didnt get itchy) or more than likely would have been spent on a car.

I mentioned treasury bills to some people on a car forum. They obviously thought it was a scam that you can get 10-13% in Nigeria and up to 22% in Ghana. Some wanted to have a go but I let them know that because I am originally from Nigeria, I can afford to leave my money indefinitely in Nigeria but they on the other hand would be short term investors and there was a chance they may not get back the full capital due to exchange rate variations

nice analysis, three scenario, 1. the funds are not yielding interest but little debit charges for maintenance. 2. bank charge of 2% of your capital for any foriegn investment which is usually between 2 - 3 % ( more loss). 3. convert to naira and in future time the naira become useless by the day. the rate at which the naira is dropping is baffling. and we all know that it takes a miraclefor the naira to recover from the losses
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 8:45pm On Nov 23, 2014
Chillisauce:

nice analysis, three scenario, 1. the funds are not yielding interest but little debit charges for maintenance. 2. bank charge of 2% of your capital for any foriegn investment which is usually between 2 - 3 % ( more loss). 3. convert to naira and in future time the naira become useless by the day. the rate at which the naira is dropping is baffling. and we all know that it takes a miraclefor the naira to recover from the losses

Even in the western world, you gotta account for inflation; currently in Canada it stands at just over 2%. The funny part is their banks won't offer you 2% on a savings account. So even if you leave your money in a bank here, you still lose, unless you invest in stocks.

That's why it's important to diversify. After enough capital, I'm considering moving some into landed assets which appreciate in value over the same period Naira looses value.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:48pm On Nov 23, 2014
petikal:

Even in the western world, you gotta account for inflation; currently in Canada it stands at just over 2%. The funny part is their banks won't offer you 2% on a savings account. So even if you leave your money in a bank here, you still lose, unless you invest in stocks.

That's why it's important to diversify. After enough capital, I'm considering moving some into landed assets which appreciate in value over the same period Naira looses value.

I saw an advert here, something about Nigeria property online. Some houses in Ajah go like 14,000,000. But these days one got to be careful not to buy already own or government own plot. Real estate in Nigeria is still shaky
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 10:08pm On Nov 23, 2014
favoured247:

what is the rate first bank is offering for 91 days on t-bills?

just2endowed:
Can anyone drop the rate banks in nigeria gives for easy comparison.

It varies, depending on CBN's stop rate for that particular auction. The rate you get today for a 91-day Tbill may be different from what you will get in the next auction or after maturity. A friend of mine got about 9.45% from FBNH (in the last 2 or 3 auctions) for 91 days.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 2:39am On Nov 24, 2014
Chillisauce:

I saw an advert here, something about Nigeria property online. Some houses in Ajah go like 14,000,000. But these days one got to be careful not to buy already own or government own plot. Real estate in Nigeria is still shaky
True, more shaky in some places, but with meticulous due diligence, one should recognize legitimate sales.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Damolaskynov: 7:48am On Nov 24, 2014
Hi house,thanks a bundle for all the info being shared.I got 9.65% for 91 days from GT on 20th nov auction,I requested for the banks rate as advised by some gurus here and as I had also lost out on the last two auctions due over-bidding. Once again,thanks guys.I only pray our politicians don't tilt Nigeria over with their games,na to make money remain b dat O....lol

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jessglam: 7:11pm On Nov 24, 2014
This sure is an educative thread. too bad i just saw it now. please guys, i need more light on the bidding process. please explain in details how one auctions for a particular rate. how can i invest in tbills with the sum o 200,000. what is the best institutions that offers the best rate. i would really love a feedback.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 9:00am On Nov 25, 2014
Jessglam:
This sure is an educative thread. too bad i just saw it now. please guys, i need more light on the bidding process. please explain in details how one auctions for a particular rate. how can i invest in tbills with the sum o 200,000. what is the best institutions that offers the best rate. i would really love a feedback.
it z never too late just go to ur bank and tell them u want to buy tbill u shd ask the following question like what is thier rate for the various tenors if u are ok wit thier offer, u write a letter to ur acct. Officer wit the following detail tenor,rate it shd be more than 9.5 at least my own take.the acct number in which u wish the money to be debit frm.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2014
Jessglam:

http://nairametrics.com/beginners-guide-for-investing-in-nigerian-treasury-bills

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 5:00pm On Nov 25, 2014
Officially,Interest rate is now 13%..........

http://www.proshareng.com/news/25226
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 7:25pm On Nov 25, 2014
angelo82:

thanks bro 4 d info does that means we should be expecting rates at double figure(s) for 91days? And i also what to throw the question open to the house
WHAT IS THE EFFECT OF INTEREST RATE @13 PERCENT ON TBILLS?OYA MAKE UNA DO JUSTICE OOO
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pappilo(m): 7:46pm On Nov 25, 2014
angelo82:

Bro. That report long die and I am not too sure what to make of it. I already put in a request for 364 day Tbills on 3 Dec at 12.5%. Does this report mean I should increase my bid rate to 20%? grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:11pm On Nov 25, 2014
angelo82:

yeah.

It will soon get to 16%. they have to compensate with the falling of the naira
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 8:30pm On Nov 25, 2014
pappilo:

Bro. That report long die and I am not too sure what to make of it. I already put in a request for 364 day Tbills on 3 Dec at 12.5%. Does this report mean I should increase my bid rate to 20%? grin

It means soon 365days Tbill will soon reach 14% or more.....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 8:31pm On Nov 25, 2014
Chillisauce:

yeah.

It will soon get to 16%. they have to compensate with the falling of the naira

If price of oil keep falling to early Obasanjo era,it means it will increase sharply to 15%.......
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 8:32pm On Nov 25, 2014
obiak4:

thanks bro 4 d info does that means we should be expecting rates at double figure(s) for 91days? And i also what to throw the question open to the house
WHAT IS THE EFFECT OF INTEREST RATE @13 PERCENT ON TBILLS?OYA MAKE UNA DO JUSTICE OOO

It means the rate will increase......
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 11:29pm On Nov 25, 2014
With the official devaluation of Naira by almost 8.4%, the rate better increase! Anything below 14% on 365 tenor won't make sense.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by obiak4(m): 5:22am On Nov 26, 2014
angelo82:

It means the rate will increase......
@angelos no b authomatic thing na it depends on many factor apart frm d weak naira,also money in circulation and other small small factors
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nitrogen(m): 6:24am On Nov 26, 2014
Yes, our currency is depreciating, so, there must be a compensation, private CRR has been increased to 20 percent, also MPR at 13 percent, are both contractionary measures, meaning, we don't want much liquidity in the system (wrt local guys) as for foreign guys, though there is sovereign risk, we still want your cash to come into Nigeria, so rates must go up for all these to be aided.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by coderXO(m): 6:28am On Nov 26, 2014
Best time to change your $$$/€€€ to Naira is now. Naira is weak right now and you will get an extra 7% since October rates.

You will get more Naira for your $$$.

The weakness is going to last 3 months; -ember months. It will regain it's ground come January/February.

Don't go in for 365-day tenors, the Naira will be weak again when you want to change your money back ( if you wanted to).

90-180 day tenor would be preferable; Naira will have very well recovered from it's weakness. You would be using less Naira to get the $$$ you put in back.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by petikal(m): 8:34am On Nov 26, 2014
coderXO:
Best time to change your $$$/€€€ to Naira is now. Naira is weak right now and you will get an extra 7% since October rates.

The weakness is going to last 3 months; -ember months. It will regain it's ground come January/February.

Don't go in for 365-day tenors, the Naira will be weak again when you want to change your money back ( if you wanted to).

90-180 day tenor would be preferable; Naira will have very well recovered from it's weakness. You would be using less Naira to get the $$$ you put in back.
The major reason for Naira devaluation is fall on oil prices... and perhaps the election. The way I see it, even after election, if oil prices remain low, then the shock on Naira will continue. The currency may stabilize, but I highly doubt it'll gain back <N165 per $1. We shall see.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 2:09pm On Nov 26, 2014
nitrogen:
Yes, our currency is depreciating, so, there must be a compensation, private CRR has been increased to 20 percent, also MPR at 13 percent, are both contractionary measures, meaning, we don't want much liquidity in the system (wrt local guys) as for foreign guys, though there is sovereign risk, we still want your cash to come into Nigeria, so rates must go up for all these to be aided.

Bros we no dey see you for NSEMPA again. Hope all is well.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 2:11pm On Nov 26, 2014
coderXO:
Don't go in for 365-day tenors, the Naira will be weak again when you want to change your money back ( if you wanted to). 90-180 day tenor would be preferable; Naira will have very well recovered from it's weakness. You would be using less Naira to get the $$$ you put in back.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by princeuk21(m): 6:41pm On Nov 26, 2014
coderXO:

you are correct
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 9:16pm On Nov 26, 2014
obiak4:

@angelos no b authomatic thing na it depends on many factor apart frm d weak naira,also money in circulation and other small small factors

For sure the rate of money market instrument will inch up by 0.50% and falling/increase oil prices will determine afterwards.....
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by nitrogen(m): 9:51pm On Nov 26, 2014
Elai147:

Bros we no dey see you for NSEMPA again. Hope all is well.

Haaa, bros, I have always been around, low key things ni jare, all is well! Hope we are seriously making money, this is the time to buy, buy and buy o, FBN, Oando, etc opportunities abound.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by angelo82: 10:52am On Nov 27, 2014
nitrogen:

Haaa, bros, I have always been around, low key things ni jare, all is well! Hope we are seriously making money, this is the time to buy, buy and buy o, FBN, Oando, etc opportunities abound.

I am enjoying the buy so much that I have acquired about 500,000 units of FBN under 10Naira....Its my turn to beat that market......Thanks also to the online brokerage firm......
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Elai147: 10:56am On Nov 27, 2014
nitrogen:

wetin man pikin go do? Na to take advantage of the current economic situation and plan for the future.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by weimar: 1:22pm On Nov 27, 2014
I really think TB should go up to 18% in December 3rd, 2014. I make these predictions for the following reasons:
1. Naira has been falling and will continue to fall. This has caused the fed to devalue our naira for purchasing dollar from 155 to 165
2. Fed needs naira to convert to dollar to buy stuff and run the govt, with the continous fall in oil prices, it means that the Fed will need our money to run things
3. Interest rate just went up meaning: this could discourage borrowing. However, to keep inflation stable, it is going to backfire and lead the govt to adjust, which they can't sustain thereby causing TB interest rate to go up
4. Finally, with the election coming up in lest than 100 days, we will only see the Fed increase TB offering percentage
5. I think we too, can influence the purchasing price for TB, that is, if we all decided with one voice the amount we want to purchase TB. As for me, I am asking for 16-18%. I am certain I will make it this time.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pappilo(m): 4:00pm On Nov 27, 2014
weimar:

5. I think we too, can influence the purchasing price for TB, that is, if we all decided with one voice the amount we want to purchase TB. As for me, I am asking for 16-18% on 3 Dec 2014. I am certain I will make it this time.

Chei! You are making a nicca get greedy. I have already asked the bank to up my bid rate to 13%. Hmnnnnn. Decisions o!

An extra 3 - 5% is worth hundreds of thousands of naira to me... Maybe I should just sit out this auction. But then is a jump from 12.4% to 16% really feasible?

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (2230) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: carbon1224(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.