Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,323 members, 7,819,103 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (930) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4444242 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (927) (928) (929) (930) (931) (932) (933) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DaBogu: 1:42pm On Nov 04, 2019
wink
emmanuelewumi:
I am sure no one will ever dignify the jack of all trades guy with a response.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DaBogu: 1:44pm On Nov 04, 2019
It's okay. The thread is NTB.
healthserve:

I was commenting innocently I was accused as fraudster by people who couldn't maintain an intellectual debate. I'm sorry Sir. I rather won't comment on the forum anymore Sir. Sorry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 1:48pm On Nov 04, 2019
DaBogu:

Kindly find below details of the November FG Savings Bond as announced by the Debt Management Office this morning.

2 years Tenor -10.296%
3 years Tenor – 11.296%
can someone terminate bond before maturity like T.B?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 1:55pm On Nov 04, 2019
Akerewe:
can someone terminate bond before maturity like T.B?
yes na ,u can even trade it for profit
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 2:14pm On Nov 04, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
for rate stability ,policey change ,constant faild tb bids ,poration of succefuly bids ,low rate..tb can go as low as 7.percent (I have done it before)for 364 days ,there are time where fixed deposits rate where more than t.b ....bond when for 16.5
Is there any other bond apart from savings bond
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 2:25pm On Nov 04, 2019
needful:

Is there any other bond apart from savings bond
yes saving bond is new for small players

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by whatalife: 2:26pm On Nov 04, 2019
I ported to i-invest. With my unsuccessful bids at stanbic, few offers still left

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 2:32pm On Nov 04, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
for rate stability ,policey change ,constant faild tb bids ,poration of succefuly bids ,low rate..tb can go as low as 7.percent (I have done it before)for 364 days ,there are time where fixed deposits rate where more than t.b ....bond when for 16.5
Wow! That really smart.

But I think federal government bond is from 50m? And savings bond which can be done with less than 50m always have low interest.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 2:39pm On Nov 04, 2019
ahiboilandgas:

If I have upto 50m can I do the govt bond that u are talking about. And how do I get it sir.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tweetums(f): 2:44pm On Nov 04, 2019
DOLLARTEX:
TB 10.4 stanbic ibtc,356 days! stanbic is back!
secondary market?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 2:44pm On Nov 04, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Homextras: 2:59pm On Nov 04, 2019
I heard ban on secondary market has been lifted, how true is this? Got the info from stanbic ibtc bank customer rep today..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 3:08pm On Nov 04, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
But why would anyone want to do bond and do tbills with interest from bonds when they can do tbills and do tbills with the interest from tbills?
I don’t like this bond of a thing because of the delayed interest payment.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 3:11pm On Nov 04, 2019
DOLLARTEX:
TB 10.4 stanbic ibtc,356 days! stanbic is back!
Really v, I went to my branch (stanbic- Effurun) and was told that no secondary market yet. Will send a mail across to them. Which branch is this please?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 9jatriot(m): 3:23pm On Nov 04, 2019
I am thinking. Assuming I want to buy a car worth 10M, even though I have the cash for the car, I decide to invest it in TB or bonds. I then use the certificate of the investment as collateral to apply for a loan an the bank to use in purchasing the car.

You may argue, why not just buy the car and have peace of mind, well I can also argue that I want to use the approach to keep me financially disciplined throughout the duration of the loan and so that I can have my money back at the end of the period.

I know the experts may say, it looks foolish since the banks may be giving me the loan at say 17-25%PA, but I can also argue that (using 17% as the bank rate) if the TB is assumed to be 10%PA, that the loan may in reality be 7% for the first year. If I am reinvesting the interest then that value will continue to reduce at the end of the loan term.

Please not that the mode of repayment is not expected to be from that actual investment but from my normal means of living. That TB or bond investment is only to serve as a collateral and may not even contribute towards the repayment of the loan. The fact that I know I have a monthly commitment will in my opinion help me stay financially discipline and I can shout it to the roof top to anyone that cares to listen that I am paying for car loan so that all those that would have categorized me as money bag go around saying "non mind am, that e big car, na loan he take buy am sef".

At the whole of the whole exercise, I will have my 10M+ compounded interest and my car.

What do you guys think?

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DaBogu: 3:39pm On Nov 04, 2019
OgogoroFreak:
Wow! That really smart.

But I think federal government bond is from 50m? And savings bond which can be done with less than 50m always have low interest.
Min 5k
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DaBogu: 3:40pm On Nov 04, 2019
Yes
Homextras:
I heard ban on secondary market has been lifted, how true is this? Got the info from stanbic ibtc bank customer rep today..
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Diyke4rich: 3:40pm On Nov 04, 2019
RealityShot:
open a cooking gas plant/station.

be sure to do proper hands-on research in your chosen area though.

you also go work at a plant part time to learn the ropes.

i suggest this becos it can gulp huge cash and yield huge returns...

its not akara or suya coins biz

Thank you God bless
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 3:44pm On Nov 04, 2019
needful:

If I have upto 50m can I do the govt bond that u are talking about. And how do I get it sir.
yes through bank like u do your t.b it 1 once monthly

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DeSepiero(m): 3:57pm On Nov 04, 2019
9jatriot:
I am thinking. Assuming I want to buy a car worth 10M, even though I have the cash for the car, I decide to invest it in TB or bonds. I then use the certificate of the investment as collateral to apply for a loan an the bank to use in purchasing the car.

You may argue, why not just buy the car and have peace of mind, well I can also argue that I want to use the approach to keep me financially disciplined throughout the duration of the loan and so that I can have my money back at the end of the period.

I know the experts may say, it looks foolish since the banks may be giving me the loan at say 17-25%PA, but I can also argue that (using 17% as the bank rate) if the TB is assumed to be 10%PA, that the loan may in reality be 7% for the first year. If I am reinvesting the interest then that value will continue to reduce at the end of the loan term.

Please not that the mode of repayment is not expected to be from that actual investment but from my normal means of living. That TB or bond investment is only to serve as a collateral and may not even contribute towards the repayment of the loan. The fact that I know I have a monthly commitment will in my opinion help me stay financially discipline and I can shout it to the roof top to anyone that cares to listen that I am paying for car loan so that all those that would have categorized me as money bag go around saying "non mind am, that e big car, na loan he take buy am sef".

At the whole of the whole exercise, I will have my 10M+ compounded interest and my car.

What do you guys think?

Buy your car with your 10m - tell people is bought on loan if you must.
When your monthly cashflow comes, which which would have serviced the loan, channel it into a dedicated savings account with a standing order - the cashflow will be invested in TB or Bonds.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 3:59pm On Nov 04, 2019
No rates Available today --message from GTB

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dake40(m): 4:01pm On Nov 04, 2019
9jatriot:

What do you guys think?

I doubt if you can access a 10m loan by using your 10m Treasury bill certificate as collateral if that's what you mean. I just called Access bank customer support asking her the same question. She claimed you can get loan using TB collateral but cant get upto your TB capital
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by healthserve(m): 4:04pm On Nov 04, 2019
9jatriot:

What do you guys think?

Brilliant but uncertainty factor alone grows or compounds risk. While the T.B certificate and the car may remain intact, risk remains as long as the product is not completely paid for. If this method should be applied, risks needs to be reduced sequentially by dedicating funds to reduce the product value ( albeit monthly ) either by monthly repayments or alternative investments that can grow or retain the monthly down payments.

Whichever way, the greatest financial discipline and appropriaety is to reduce the risks on monthly basis while you retain the product and the collateral.

Cc FarahAideed SarkinYarki Racoon Daddytime

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 9jatriot(m): 4:06pm On Nov 04, 2019
Hmmmm, I like the assurance of a guaranteed sum at the end of the tenor. I also do not like loans but in this case, I won't mind.
"tell people is bought on loan if you must"--- Not like anyone is really owed an explanation anyway.
Thanks for your input.
DeSepiero:

Buy your car with your 10m - tell people is bought on loan if you must.
When your monthly cashflow comes, which which would have serviced the loan, channel it into a dedicated savings account with a standing order - the cashflow will be invested in TB or Bonds.

Cheers!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 9jatriot(m): 4:09pm On Nov 04, 2019
Okay, maybe a 10M TB for 8M loan may suffice. The whole idea for me is to enforce a savings culture that probably resulted in the 10M anyway.
dake40:

I doubt if you can access a 10m loan by using your 10m Treasury bill certificate as collateral if that's what you mean. I just called Access bank customer support asking her the same question. She claimed you can get loan using TB collateral but cant get upto your TB capital

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 4:19pm On Nov 04, 2019
I invested in 16.2499% FGN BOND APR 2037 at 13.2%......secondary market

I think it's better for now.....stability of 16.2499% coupon payments every 6 months till 2037. ...shikena

I did mine with stanbic today...coupon payments will be every April and October till 2037...

Ask your bank for advice on most FGN BONDS....

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dake40(m): 4:20pm On Nov 04, 2019
ukay2:

I think it's better for now.....stability of 16.2499% coupon payments every 6 months till 2037. ...shikena

I did mine with stanbic today...coupon payments will be every April and October till 2037...

What's the minimum capital?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Lionhearted: 4:24pm On Nov 04, 2019
ukay2:

What happens if Nigeria cease to exist?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 4:28pm On Nov 04, 2019
ukay2:

That is what am going to do now.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 04, 2019
igbizen:

Really v, I went to my branch (stanbic- Effurun) and was told that no secondary market yet. Will send a mail across to them. Which branch is this please?
warehouse road apapa,lagos.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:33pm On Nov 04, 2019
Tweetums:
secondary market?
yes
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 4:45pm On Nov 04, 2019
Lionhearted:

What happens if Nigeria cease to exist?

Na so my friend asked me when I did 5 year FGN BONDS in 2015 to mature Feb 2020.

We know February 2020 is around the corner and FGN still exists .....and I have been re-investing the 6 monthly coupons (Feb and Aug ) into NTB and the cycle continues.......SLOW AND STEADY INVESTMENTS WIN THE RACE

Most times fear is our enemy in investment

Meanwhile. ....if FGN will fail to exist, I will quickly sell my FGN BONDS before the official exist as the FGN Bonds in the secondary market are tradable in the floor of nse.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (927) (928) (929) (930) (931) (932) (933) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: coinbrood, manwomanok and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.