Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,939 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (947) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4439360 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (944) (945) (946) (947) (948) (949) (950) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 11:17pm On Nov 09, 2019
needful:

My Brother indemnity no work oooo..

Ok Madam. .......maybe the money too much. ...

Me na "Afolabi units" I de do...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 11:24pm On Nov 09, 2019
A beg......

Madam Needful and Oga Zamirikpo. ...

Make we no de quarrel. .....a beg

I no se all of una be big Madam and Ogas for una house and office. ..

We are here to make money. ....helping ourselves

This life too sweet to be quarrelling. ......

A merry heart is medicine ......

We are BNSITL. ....brothers and sisters in the Lord...

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 2:09am On Nov 10, 2019
ukay2:
A beg......

Madam Needful and Oga Zamirikpo. ...

Make we no de quarrel. .....a beg

I no se all of una be big Madam and Ogas for una house and office. ..

We are here to make money. ....helping ourselves

This life too sweet to be quarrelling. ......

A merry heart is medicine ......

We are BNSITL. ....brothers and sisters in the Lord...

Bro no be quarrel and am sure he is chilling with his beer as I suggested for him.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 3:04am On Nov 10, 2019
Lets wait till next week and see how this Tbills drama will end.. The only concern are the rates.. I hope it won’t drop drastically.. Too many funds in circulation chasing the Bills now.. We go see how next wk go be

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 3:18am On Nov 10, 2019
TBills rate will go up, Lagos state just presented their budget of N1.16 TRILLION NAIRA.

Kano state - 197 Billion naira.
Others to follow.....

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 6:19am On Nov 10, 2019
Do states issue tbills for sale or bonds .. pls anyone with more info .. I know of bonds
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by purleesh(f): 6:21am On Nov 10, 2019
needful:

My Brother indemnity no work oooo..

How about breaking the sum then?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 7:42am On Nov 10, 2019
chloride6:

Old enough to know that high interest rates were strangling our economy..

American Citizens work hard for their money and their TBills rate is 1.5%

In Japan and Europe it's worse, their interest rates are negative..
Go and sit down. The tough business atmosphere in Nigeria is what is struggling the economy- imagine my wife paying four types of taxes - she is considering pulling out her funds to do Tbills now. Instead for CBN to advise govt to make the country business friendly, he is there giving wrong analysis. I can bet that people will still prefer to leave their money in ordinary savings than to put it in this “shit-hole real economy”

13 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by isangjohnson: 9:18am On Nov 10, 2019
GURUS IN THE HOUSE PLEASE HELP ME IN THIS ANALYSIS.
My brother bought 3bedroom apartments from Federal Mortgage Bank at 9.2m. 10% equity paid leaving a balance of 8.280m. This will be deducted from his salary starting from January next year. He has 20yrs left in the service.
The young man is totally confused now.
First, he is planning to invest 4m in Tb, roll it over for 3yrs or 4, use whatever will come out, add it to whatever must have been deducted from his salary for the same period and pay off the loan.
Second, he is planning to drop the 4m and subsequent savings with FMBN to reduce the balance as well as what will be deducted from his salary.
9.2m with mortgage calculator gave me 14.2m @ #711,840 a yr for 20yrs and 12.5m @ #838,452 a yr for 15yrs.
Should he drops the money with FMBN to reduce what will be deducted from his salary or he should rather invest the money in Tb, roll it over and add to what will deducted at the end of 3 to 4 yrs and pay off the loan?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by isangjohnson: 9:21am On Nov 10, 2019
Somebody suggested he shouldn't drop the cash with FMBN but should rather log in the cash in FGN Savings bond for 3yrs.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DaBogu: 12:11pm On Nov 10, 2019
isangjohnson:
Somebody suggested he shouldn't drop the cash with FMBN but should rather log in the cash in FGN Savings bond for 3yrs.
I think I will go with the advice above meanwhile wait for the ogas make them come put mouth for the matter.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Onboard1: 1:18pm On Nov 10, 2019
isangjohnson:
My brother bought 3bedroom apartments from Federal Mortgage Bank at 9.2m. 10% equity paid leaving a balance of 8.280m. This will be deducted from his salary starting from January next year. He has 20yrs left in the service.
First, he is planning to invest 4m in Tb, roll it over for 3yrs or 4, use whatever will come out, add it to whatever must have been deducted from his salary for the same period and pay off the loan.
Second, he is planning to drop the 4m and subsequent savings with FMBN to reduce the balance as well as what will be deducted from his salary.
9.2m with mortgage calculator gave me 14.2m @ #711,840 a yr for 20yrs and 12.5m @ #838,452 a yr for 15yrs.
Should he drops the money with FMBN to reduce what will be deducted from his salary or he should rather invest the money in Tb, roll it over and add to what will deducted at the end of 3 to 4 yrs and pay off the loan?

You did well by getting the estimated annual payment using the mortgage calculator.
Personally I will suggest to him to get the actual interest rate on the loan and additional costs of servicing the loan if any.
Sum up the interest and any other associated costs to arrive at total cost per month (or per year)
Then estimate his profit from TB or bonds using the current market rates.
Compare the estimated proceeds and the total cost per annum.
Then take your decision.

If you decide to put the money to the mortgage bank, make sure it goes to principal only.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by isangjohnson: 1:28pm On Nov 10, 2019
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by isangjohnson: 1:30pm On Nov 10, 2019
I appreciate your advice.
DaBogu:
I think I will go with the advice above meanwhile wait for the ogas make them come put mouth for the matter.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 4:05pm On Nov 10, 2019
purleesh:

How about breaking the sum then?

My dear, that will spoil the show for me. Am on negotiation now with gtb, if it didnt work, I may consider splitting.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sach: 4:18pm On Nov 10, 2019
isangjohnson:
Please my brother needs an advice.
He bought three bedroom apartments from Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria at 9.2m. Ten percent equity of #920,000 paid and offer letter given. The balance of the money is to be deducted from his salary starting from January next year. He has twenty years left in the service. Amount to be deducted is yet unknown to him. He is planning to deposit 4m with FMBN to reduce the balance as well as the amount to be deducted.
He was equally thinking of suspending the plan especially now that he's yet to know the amount that will be deducted and rather invest the cash in Tb.
From my calculations using Mortgage Calculator, 20yrs tenor will be 14.2m @ #711,840 a year while 15yrs tenor will be 12.5m @ #838,452 a year to complete the payment.
The question is, dropping 4m with FMBN to reduce the balance of what will be deducted and investing the same amount in Tb, which one pays more?
Please how does one purchase from Federal Mortgage Bank?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by isangjohnson: 4:37pm On Nov 10, 2019
[quote author.

There are two classes of FMBN loan I know of.
The one you will apply for the liquid cash and the one already built apartments will be given to you.
In all the two, I believe the condition is that you must be a contributor to NHF.
I'm told the rate is always flat and that's 6%.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by isangjohnson: 4:46pm On Nov 10, 2019
[quote

He will get back to them. I didn't know much about the FMBN Calculator but this is what came out when I input the loan amount and tenor.
AMT:9.2m
TENOR:15yrs
RATE:6%
EQUITY:920k

MONTHLY
PRIN:28,471.35
INTR:41,400.00
TOTAL:69,871.35

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Biakwa: 4:57pm On Nov 10, 2019
TotoNaRubber:
TBills rate will go up, Lagos state just presented their budget of N1.16 TRILLION NAIRA.

Kano state - 197 Billion naira.
Others to follow.....

Please what the TBills last auction rate?

And i read CBN has come out to deny they did not issue any circular that individual and small firms can no longer pirchase TBills,that is only for big firms??
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pluto09(m): 5:07pm On Nov 10, 2019
isangjohnson:

At what interest rate was the mortgage giving?
As far as I know, FMBN mortgage goes for 6% per annum. If that was what is offered, then he doesn't need to pay anything back now. He should continue to service the loan till he retires from service.
The idea is that you are getting a loan at 6% while you are investing your money at a return of about 12% per annum. You will be good with the difference in rate of 6% and when you compound this for 20 years that will be a good money.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by isangjohnson: 6:09pm On Nov 10, 2019
[quote

Thank you for putting an end to this.
FMBN Staff also told me that the interest is fixed at 6% per annum.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jesusbabygirl(f): 6:23pm On Nov 10, 2019
zamirikpo:

My Bad, I definitely didn't mean every women.

Thanks for ur maturity....it speaks volumes on ur personality, Unlike some olodo we have here.
My brother, no wahala. It beats my imagination when people get rude online or offline sef.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 10, 2019
isangjohnson:
[quote author.

There are two classes of FMBN loan I know of.
The one you will apply for the liquid cash and the one already built apartments will be given to you.
In all the two, I believe the condition is that you must be a contributor to NHF.
I'm told the rate is always flat and that's 6%.

Confirm that your hand will touch the cash as a use to think there is non you will touch cash.
The one you assume cash is given, its paid to a contractor that builds the house for you. That is why you will summit all documents indicating site is ready and there assign a contractor that builds for you. You van be going to site to supervise your building but cant influence the contractor except he is not building according to your plan. For cash, fa fa fa fowl.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Iamzik: 8:26pm On Nov 10, 2019
igbizen:

Go and sit down. The tough business atmosphere in Nigeria is what is struggling the economy- imagine my wife paying four types of taxes - she is considering pulling out her funds to do Tbills now. Instead for CBN to advise govt to make the country business friendly, he is there giving wrong analysis. I can bet that people will still prefer to leave their money in ordinary savings than to put it in this “shit-hole real economy”

Don't mind that chloride6

He was already jubilating that Tbills sales have been cancelled. He thinks it's awoof money for an interest rate that barely equals the current inflation rate.

Some people here need serious financial lessons. Leaving your money in Savings is okdskool. Putting your fund in Bonds or Tbills is mainly to hedge against inflation but what do I know? We also play in the real sector but you got to have some short term money market investments to maintain liquidity

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chloride6: 9:55pm On Nov 10, 2019
Iamzik:

Don't mind that chloride6

He was already jubilating that Tbills sales have been cancelled. He thinks it's awoof money for an interest rate that barely equals the current inflation rate.

Some people here need serious financial lessons. Leaving your money in Savings is okdskool. Putting your fund in Bonds or Tbills is mainly to hedge against inflation but what do I know? We also play in the real sector but you got to have some short term money market investments to maintain liquidity

grin grin grin

Emefiele has really dealt with people..

You guys dont seems to understand what this thing is doing to the economy sha.

Let me put it in perspective for you.

If you have N2bn and you invest it in Tbills at 14% yield, you will get N280m without lifting a finger..

So why would you create businesses and jobs?

Because of your less than N50m in T Bill's you want interest rates to be high..

T Bill's corrupted everyone and made us lazy..

Some banks just forgot about loans and focused on treasury..

Zenith bank was making N400bn after tax just from T Bill's...

Infact you are more likely to get a loan from Citi Bank than you are from Zenith Bank...

High Interest Rates made your pension managers lazy.

They refused to buy equities just because bills were crazy high..

Now everyone will go and look for alpha..

The smart one are already looking at good stock picks so that when the nearly 1.5 trillion of Pension funds mature come Nov/Dec and flows into Equities they can make some change..

Change is inevitable and change is here..

Let's all get used to it..

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 10:11pm On Nov 10, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by olujaidi: 10:14pm On Nov 10, 2019
chloride6:

grin grin grin

If
you have N2bn and you invest it in Tbills at 14% yield, you will get N280m without lifting a finger..

Interest rate of 14% with inflation rate of 11.5%. that's a real return of 2.5%. Government uses NTB to fund it's recurrent expenditure - salaries, vendors, contractors etc. Stop being ignorant. Perhaps you're merely trolling.

Because of your less than N50m in T Bill's you want interest rates to be high.. [i]interest rates are high because inflation is high
[/i]

Some banks just forgot about loans and focused on treasury.. as [i]the economic terrain is difficult no thanks to faulty govt policies. Should they incur losses by lending to folks who cannot pay back?
[/i]
Zenith bank was making N400bn after tax just from T Bill's... And so? Why did the government not put policies in place to reduce risk?

Infact you are more likely to get a loan from Citi Bank than you are from Zenith Bank... False

False. Until recently they were mandated to invest a huge chunk in fixed income securities. Have you been living under a rock?

The smart one are already looking at good stock picks so that when the nearly 1.5 trillion of Pension funds mature come Nov/Dec and flows into Equities they can make some change..

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by walexy14(m): 11:05pm On Nov 10, 2019
For those that wants alternative to TB or Fixed deposit with good interest rate .

I work with a Non- banking financial institution called Rosabon Financial Services ( The Concept Group ) 32 Montgomery Road Sabo Yaba with a branch in Abuja ,PH & Warri licensed and regulated by CBN and also been in existence for over 25 yrs now. our interest rate still remain unbeatable, fantastic and far better than what all the commercial banks are giving out presently. For 1M is actually 13% per annum for 90days and is still open to negotiation. You can get your interest Upfront , Monthly or @ Maturity. The longer the tenure , the higher the interest rate. You may contact me if you are interested. 08036450638 or a.abatan@rosabon-finance.net or www.rosabon-finance.com

you can also earn commission on referral or Join our Broker Program today and earn as much as 1.75% on every Treasury or Lease Transaction that you generate.Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 11:36pm On Nov 10, 2019
chloride6:

grin grin grin

If you have N2bn and you invest it in Tbills at 14% yield, you will get N280m without lifting a finger..

So why would you create businesses and jobs?

Because of your less than N50m in T Bill's you want interest rates to be high..

Some banks just forgot about loans and focused on treasury..

Zenith bank was making N400bn after tax just from T Bill's...

Infact you are more likely to get a loan from Citi Bank than you are from Zenith Bank...

I tried to look for the sense you were trying hard to make in this but I didn't see any. If what you see is what the central bank governor sees and still decide to restrict individual, and local corporate investors from investing in OMO then he needs to check himself and his team too because the very Zenith bank you used as example or any other bank for that matter are welcome to invest in OMO thereby being the only entity apart from foreigners/foreign corporates that can invest. How then will they want to lend money to businesses now?

Banks that have all the facilities to track and receive back loan when given if they actually want to should invest in OMO then individuals who neither have the skills the to nor retrieve back their funds should either lend out their funds or invest in imaginary economy.

You want fund managers to invest in stock market alone where there is no guarantee of their fund. Companies like Ocean and Oil stock came down to about N20-25 per share around 2013 after 7 years it's trading about N3.50 with no reasonable devidend since then. If any fund manager is heavily invested in it what are they to tell the person/people they are to manage the funds for?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chloride6: 11:46pm On Nov 10, 2019
freeman67:

I tried to look for the sense you were trying hard to make in this but I didn't see any. If what you see is what the central bank governor sees and still decide to restrict individual, and local corporate investors from investing in OMO then he needs to check himself and his team too because the very Zenith bank you used as example or any other bank for that matter are welcome to invest in OMO thereby being the only entity apart from foreigners/foreign corporates that can invest. How then will they want to lend money to businesses now?

Banks that have all the facilities to track and receive back loan when given if they actually want to should invest in OMO then individuals who neither have the skills the to nor retrieve back their funds should either lend out their funds or invest in imaginary economy.

You want fund managers to invest in stock market alone where there is no guarantee of their fund. Companies like Ocean and Oil stock came down to about N20-25 per share around 2013 after 7 years it's trading about N3.50 with no reasonable devidend since then. If any fund manager is heavily invested in it what are they to tell the person/people they are to manage the funds for?

You are quick to mention that banks can buy OMO Bill's. but you forget that they are currently being heavily penalised for low loan to deposit ratio..

Its is your responsibility to do due Diligence before Investing, people who bought GTB and Dangote are not crying, so stop making it sound like the while market is flawed..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chloride6: 11:58pm On Nov 10, 2019
[quote author=olujaidi post=83915263][/quote]

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Govt uses Tbills to fund expenditure and the rest, nobody stopped you from buying Tbills, you were stopped from buying OMO Bill's which is CBN and not FG liability..

There is no school of economic thought that explicitly links inflation to interest rates..Interest rates were kept high for 1 reason only..to attract foreign investment in local bills that's why foreign investors can buy and you can.

Your inflation can be through the roof and intest rates low and the converse too can hold..

6 years ago, interest rates were around 12% and inflation was single digit, why didnt interest rates become single digits since according to you, inflation and interest rates are inextricably linked..

Interest are essentially an MPC tool used to achieve whatever the CBN wants..

Nigeria's economic terrain had always been tough, this is not an excuse too..

PFA's under the multi funding structure were mandated by Pencom to deploy a part of RSA fund 1 and 2 to equities, they refused..

Why free t Bill's money...

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 5:18am On Nov 11, 2019
Like I told you before every investors want where his/her capital is guaranteed and where the is possibility of more with less risk.

Increasing their loan ratio will eventually still not affect the economy. You and your entire CBN crew know that most times the banks do not borrow the real sector that can stimulate economic growth. They will rather borrow themselves in proxy, their friends and family members and at the end all you will see is a large chunk of non performing loans. Even after stealing the money they will not invest instead they will spend it lavishly sinking large % of shareholders/ investors fund... People invested in oceanic, intercontinental, spring and recently skybank. What is their benefit. If not for access bank diamond investors were already accepting their fate.

If you are to be a PFA and you bought GTB @ N50 and your Dangote cement @ N220 per share as it was selling last year after your due diligence. By nowyou will be sitting on a very big % of negative balance.

You are happy because individuals citizens and local corporates that suffers the brunt of their try and error policies are restricted from participating in OMO. To PFA should bring the money to capital market but don't see anything wrong in it being restricted to banks and foreign investors alone. Then the same you will turn around and complain that the banks are making free money from it...
Is there any sense in it?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (944) (945) (946) (947) (948) (949) (950) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: cleverland and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.