Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,978 members, 7,825,055 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (962) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4453265 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (959) (960) (961) (962) (963) (964) (965) ... (2231) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 7:42pm On Nov 17, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Just2endowed2(m): 7:46pm On Nov 17, 2019
This bonds stuff doesn't favour the middle class or upcoming guys to tap into. The primary and secondary market entry investment is much.... 20million minimum. I know bond fund is there but nothing like doing it directly. Men for those that hit 50million, u guys are the real player now since tb had crash

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zohan101: 7:55pm On Nov 17, 2019
Thanks alot great man!

I will visit FBN quest asset managers soonest..

Thanks..I really appreciate the time you put in to give out financial education..

emmanuelewumi:

You can only get from the investment banking subsidiaries of Stanbic IBTC or FBN.

Or the following registered investment houses.

Investment one

United Capital

Chapel Hill Denham

Axa Mansard

GTI capital

CSL stockbroker

Meristem

And many more
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by katamo: 8:17pm On Nov 17, 2019
TotoNaRubber:
Thanks for the explanation, what I understand is that the new buyer will pay more to obtain the bond and then still earn less in Interest payments, at the end of the day, the real interest payments for a two year bond could be 10.5%.

What do you think?

No. In this example, the new buyer will pay N1,073 and receive N163.9 per year for 2 years and N1,000 return of principal at the end of the second year. The interest payment is 15.27% of the investment (N163.9/N1,073) but the return of principal is only N1,000 and not N1,703 which reduces the yield/return to 12.03%.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nnamz(m): 8:33pm On Nov 17, 2019
ogawisdom:

Make una free me Jaree

I have made my point already, no sentiment

TB should be reduced to less than 1% for us to build a healthy Nigerian economy. If u don't like it u go and set up a biz with ur fund. No one should quote me again to talk nonsense to avoid e-slap

E-slap this really got me rodfnl. If you don't understand rodfnl, ask your kids grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 8:48pm On Nov 17, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

I will advise you spread the money between bonds, Treasury Bills, money market funds and Eurobond.
We are not sure of the future of the Naira in 2 years time.

If you are like me I will also consider investing in stocks like Nestle, Dangote cement, Zenith and GTB.

N1 million invested in GTB in 2001 is now worth over N40 million, the dividend received in 2018 is over 3 times the amount invested.
Please is Eurobond better than stanbic dollar fund? What’s the minimum, also do you know if stabic also offers Eurobond?
I’ll like to know your thoughts on dollar, will this current 360 be sustained or do you think devaluation could be on the way
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 9:34pm On Nov 17, 2019
Ok the actual interest is 12.03% and never 16.39%?

katamo:

No. In this example, the new buyer will pay N1,073 and receive N163.9 per year for 2 years and N1,000 return of principal at the end of the second year. The interest payment is 15.27% of the investment (N163.9/N1,073) but the return of principal is only N1,000 and not N1,703 which reduces the yield/return to 12.03%.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 9:36pm On Nov 17, 2019
It sounds tricky but at the end of the day the actual interest is 12.03% and never 16.39%?

quote author=ukay2 post=84118211]

No Sir...

The new buyer will enjoy the coupon of 16.39% if his able to pay for the bond at the current price.[/quote]
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:54pm On Nov 17, 2019
chigo4u:

Please is Eurobond better than stanbic dollar fund? What’s the minimum, also do you know if stabic also offers Eurobond?
I’ll like to know your thoughts on dollar, will this current 360 be sustained or do you think devaluation could be on the way

I know Stanbic has a dollar fund, I think Jejebaba has one with them.

FBN Quest and United Capital are the two firms that I am very familiar with and they both have Eurobond funds.

CBN is trying hard to defend the Naira, I wish them the best concerning this

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 10:34pm On Nov 17, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

I know Stanbic has a dollar fund, I think Jejebaba has one with them.

FBN Quest and United Capital are the two firms that I am very familiar with and they both have Eurobond funds.

CBN is trying hard to defend the Naira, I wish them the best concerning this
Thanks. Good luck to Emefiele/buhari lol
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 10:46pm On Nov 17, 2019
Just2endowed2:
This bonds stuff doesn't favour the middle class or upcoming guys to tap into. The primary and secondary market entry investment is much.... 20million minimum. I know bond fund is there but nothing like doing it directly. Men for those that hit 50million, u guys are the real player now since tb had crash
You mean ordinary 20m is for higher class? Lmao! shocked

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by richforever123: 11:31pm On Nov 17, 2019
In as much as I am sad at the dwindling TB rates, I see it as a good step in growing the economy, there is a huge demand for rice in the country, coupled with the border closure, this is a big opportunity to invest in the real economy, there are a lot of business opportunities available in Nigeria now, but an elevated sense of fear will not allow people invest in the real sector

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jabolo(m): 12:05am On Nov 18, 2019
richforever123:
In as much as I am sad at the dwindling TB rates, I see it as a good step in growing the economy, there is a huge demand for rice in the country, coupled with the border closure, this is a big opportunity to invest in the real economy, there are a lot of business opportunities available in Nigeria now, but an elevated sense of fear will not allow people invest in the real sector

I agree with you but I'm not sad. TBs will always be there but that wall of 'lazy' money needs to find ahome in the real sector.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RealityShot: 12:09am On Nov 18, 2019
emmanuelewumi:

You can only get from the investment banking subsidiaries of Stanbic IBTC or FBN.

Or the following registered investment houses.

Investment one

United Capital

Chapel Hill Denham

Axa Mansard

GTI capital

CSL stockbroker

Meristem

And many more
this post got me thinking...
You cant be wrong twice...

So I logged into my sibtc asset management account and boom! There I saw bond fund!

Never noticed it.. Lol.. Thank you...

The highlights are cool..

Stanbic IBTC Bond Fund
The Fund was started in 2010.
Initial Price: ₦100 (Nominal Value)
Asset Allocation: Maximum 35% Fixed Income Securities, Minimum 65% in Bonds
Minimum Investment: N5,000 initial and subsequent investment of N5,000
Minimum holding period : 91 days
Redemption within 5 working days...

But I don't understand their rates.. They just quote prices on the page below
https://www.stanbicibtcassetmanagement.com/nigeriaassetmanagers/personal/Price-History

Investment is truly a step by step process... See me now learning about bonds.. Hahaha!

Thank you Sir

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 12:10am On Nov 18, 2019
richforever123:

Another clown creates an account in November, comes directly to this thread to remind us to invest in "real sector."

Clown.

19 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by richforever123: 1:35am On Nov 18, 2019
jabolo:

I agree with you but I'm not sad. TBs will always be there but that wall of 'lazy' money needs to find a home in the real sector.

Thanks for your response, most top economies in the world have very low TB interest rates, that is because their economy is so strong that they do not require public funds for initiating projects, they usually get them through tax, Nigeria has started implementing strong tax policy, I really don't see TB rates rising anytime soon, at least for this Government, I used to be a strong investor in TB, but now I am thinking of going into something else like starting a farm or building an App, at least I will help the economy in my own little way and provide employment

Things are tough now, but we must succeed

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by richforever123: 1:39am On Nov 18, 2019
Grupo:

Another clown creates an account in November, comes directly to this thread to remind us to invest in "real sector."

Clown.

I must state that I have been a strong investor in T-bills and have been following this thread for years as a guest, I only recently wished to start contributing and sharing ideas with the intelligent minds we have here, however we must understand that things are changing drastically in Nigeria and like a Bamboo we must bend and not break

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jesusbabygirl(f): 2:24am On Nov 18, 2019
TotoNaRubber:
Hi,
I have a few questions;

1. How do you calculate the yield on bonds. There is a quote 16.39% coupon and yield of 12.06. What does that mean pls?

2. Are the interests based on 16.39% or 12.06%?

3. After investing when do you start receiving coupon payments.

4. Do you need to open an account to invest in bonds?

I am not involved in bonds at all but let me try to explain what I learnt from by Fixed Income (Bond) Professor.
1. The coupon rate is the annual interest rate while the yield is rate of return the bond gives. Coupon rate is mostly fixed by the government (seller) while the yield will fluctuate throughout the tenor of the bond depending on market conditions. So as an example, if you buy a N10,000 bond with a coupon rate of 16.39%, you will get paid N1,639 (16.39%*N10000) every year (Note that this could be split into four parts, payable every quarter if that is how the bond works). Now the yield of 12.06% is the estimated total rate of return (which assumes you hold the bond to maturity and somehow takes into account the coupon too).
2. Interest is based on the coupon rate of 16.39%
3. I have never invested, so I don't know but typically when you buy, there should be a coupon payment schedule given

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jesusbabygirl(f): 2:24am On Nov 18, 2019
People of TB-Land, biko, when is the next primary market auction?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by eniorisha(m): 3:02am On Nov 18, 2019
Pls, is NTB secondary market no longer available at all? I need update on Secondary market, especially from FBN.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 3:10am On Nov 18, 2019
[quote author=RealityShot post=84126484]this post got me thinking...
You cant be wrong twice...

So I logged into my sibtc asset management account and boom! There I saw bond fund!

Never noticed it.. Lol.. Thank you...

The highlights are cool..

Stanbic IBTC Bond Fund
The Fund was started in 2010.
Initial Price: ₦100 (Nominal Value)
Asset Allocation: Maximum 35% Fixed Income Securities, Minimum 65% in Bonds
Minimum Investment: N5,000 initial and subsequent investment of N5,000
Minimum holding period : 91 days
Redemption within 5 working days...

But I don't understand their rates.. They just quote prices on the page below
https://www.stanbicibtcassetmanagement.com/nigeriaassetmanagers/personal/Price-History

Investment is truly a step by step process... See me now learning about bonds.. Hahaha!

Thank you Sir [/qu

I just checked but no interest rate on it. The best should be to email them and find out what they can offer.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by whatalife: 5:55am On Nov 18, 2019
Regarding fgn, bond investment, I invested 5M, in fgn, Sukuk
Bond through TRW, stock brokers I get quarterly payment of 170k, I did this when I suspect rate may be going down about 7 months ago

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Ultimated1(m): 8:34am On Nov 18, 2019
Good Morning,

My name is Samuel and i am a Representative of UK-Dion investment limited.

UK-Dion Investment Limited is an asset management company with a lot of experience and expertise in fund management. We give individuals and institutions sound and practical advice on investment to assist them attain their financial goals. We are duly registered in Nigeria under the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) and regulated by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as Funds and Portfolio managers. Having been in operation for over 4 years, our firm has been built on a strong foundation of integrity and professional ethics and we are bound by the law to put our client’s interests before ours. Investors’ funds are duly insured by Cornerstone Insurance Plc.

OUR INVESTMENT PLANS

PRIME CAPITAL INVESTMENT PLAN: this investment plan is targeted towards individuals, group of persons; associations or cooperatives whose goals is to invest their capital in a secure and high yielding investment product
Features:
• Account is designed for individual and corporate investors.
• Minimum investment amount is N250,000.00
You can earn as much as 19% (T & C APPLY) interest on your investment.
• Up-front payment of interest to investor(s) on investment tenure of 2 years and above.
Investment tenure ranges from 3 months to 5years (12%-90days, 15%-180days, 18%-365days P.A)
• This investment plan is duly insured by Corner stone Insurance.

UK-DION CHILD TRUST FUND: The Uk-Dion Child Trust Fund is designed for parents and guardians who desire to secure the financial future of their children. It enables them set aside funds early enough to give their children the quality of life they dream and desire for them.
Features:
• Minimum investment tenure: 5 years.
• Minimum investment amount: N1 Million Naira
Interest rate 20% P.A.
• Minimum contribution period: 2 years (T & C APPLY)
• Account can be funded in single lump.
• Option to indicate how funds should be applied at maturity.

SMART SAVERS INVESTMENT PLAN: This investment plan is designed for salary earners and business owners who are desirous of cultivating a savings culture
Features:
• Minimum investment N10, 000;
• Minimum investment tenure- 1year,
• Option to convert funds to other investment plan,
• Monthly notifications of receipt of payment via Email or Text message.
• Investors specifies target savings amount
Interest rate is 12% P.A

For more Information: visit our website: www.ukdioninvestment.com

you can also visit our Lagos office at 81, Adeniyi Jones Avenue, Ikeja, Lagos or call/Chat me on +2348065210072.

We look forward to doing business with you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by igbizen(m): 9:01am On Nov 18, 2019
richforever123:
When you say fear, I wonder what you mean. If I cannot swim and you tell me to jump into the river to collect a bag of money and I say no, is that fear? So should I jump into the river? For your information some of us are in the real economy and it’s not funny. I know what I pay as PR to be able to stay in the real economy. I just recovered almost a million from one of my sales boys with the help of the airforce (as I am a member of their mess - maintaining membership comes with a cost). So when people say real economy I just laugh - who no go no know.

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Perra: 9:58am On Nov 18, 2019
A woman in my estate explained treasury bill to my family and we piked interest in it. Haven't started investing yet but hope to .

Please house, this is what she explained: she said if you put a certain amount of money in the bank( CBN) ...every month you get 20%..or 10% of that money .

Intact she said she doesn't even work as she invested 200million and gets up to 50 million yearly.

Is this what treasury bill is
Please can someone explain in a very simple A B C type of language
I tried reading this post but honestly I don't understand anything .

Plsss someone explain ......in a simple way. Thank you.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by crowntoro(f): 10:19am On Nov 18, 2019
hi guys! This is the second time consecutively that my T-bills investment is not going through...
So I need suggestions on what to invest in and it's less risky.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:43am On Nov 18, 2019
crowntoro:
hi guys! This is the second time consecutively that my T-bills investment is not going through...
So I need suggestions on what to invest in and it's less risky.

Invest part of the money in your financial education.

Buy money market funds

Buy bonds

From your profile, I can see that you sell phones and other things, use part of the money to expand your business.

Be informed about the economy, finance, management, business, strategy, world politics, investment etc, all these will help you when you want to start investing in some companies on the stock market or when certain business opportunities come up

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:45am On Nov 18, 2019
Perra:
A woman in my estate explained treasury bill to my family and we piked interest in it. Haven't started investing yet but hope to .

Please house, this is what she explained: she said if you put a certain amount of money in the bank( CBN) ...every month you get 20%..or 10% of that money .

Intact she said she doesn't even work as she invested 200million and gets up to 50 million yearly.

Not possible to get N50 million, but she will get between N24 to N28 million.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Infinitisi(m): 10:54am On Nov 18, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 11:36am On Nov 18, 2019
Perra:

Not true. Money given to CBN does not yield interest every month. TB interest is paid once and at the beginning of the investment. At the end of the investment, you only get your initial money back.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Perra: 11:38am On Nov 18, 2019
Please explain ooo. People . please explain . how does Treasury bill work??
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 11:42am On Nov 18, 2019
NL1960:

Not true. Money given to CBN does not yield interest every month. TB interest is paid once and at the beginning of the investment. At the end of the investment, you only get your initial money back.

Except the woman bought 30 days Treasury Bills from the secondary market

(1) (2) (3) ... (959) (960) (961) (962) (963) (964) (965) ... (2231) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.